ADVERTISEMENT

1A

How in the world did they win against such a good team without a rushing game? Was their passing game incredible or did poor field conditions even the playing field?

Reactions: BlameIt
I would put D1 in that category also. OABCIG lost to East Sac County, who just got beat by Poky, who lost to Manson last week. Also D8 isn't very strong besides Underwood and Treynor. D3 and D4 are by far the toughest two districts. The Athletic Association is going to have a tough job trying to pair everyone up and keep those two districts separate.

I would put D1 in that category also. OABCIG lost to East Sac County, who just got beat by Poky, who lost to Manson last week. Also D8 isn't very strong besides Underwood and Treynor. D3 and D4 are by far the toughest two districts. The Athletic Association is going to have a tough job trying to pair everyone up and keep those two districts separate.
I think #3 in D8 is better than #3 in D4. I think 8 and 4 are pretty equal. No question D3 is the power house. I have not seen it before but there is a very high chance that a 4 seed will beat a number 1 seed this year. D3 4 seed will be a tough out for about any 1 seed.

Reactions: Zowwy21 and IGo42
That Iowa City Regina SOS. Anyone willing to say whether this team is real or not. They look good on paper but have literally played the worst of the worst and ran up stats in the process. And to think their coach proclaimed this the toughest district in the state. I think they could make a run but have several weaknesses. How can they not have an actual kicker given the talent on the soccer team. I think they finish undefeated and get beat by an Underwood or MFL type team that is physical. They seem weak.
I think we'll have to wait and see. I don't think anyone thought that schedule of 2A opponents as going to be as weak as it was. If you look at how they handled Mepo, who has clawed their way back up to 13th on bound in 2A. Unfortunately, you have to play who you have scheduled. So, I think you're right in the respect that we really won't know until a couple rounds into playoffs.

I think the kicker comment is out of bounds. He's 28 for 30 PATs with 3 FGs. I'm not sure what you expect from 1A kickers. I think you owe the kid an apology.

That shot at the kicker surprised me. Yep, this season he's 28/30 on PAT's, and 3/3 on FG. That's better than you'll see for most teams.

I think we'll have to wait and see. I don't think anyone thought that schedule of 2A opponents as going to be as weak as it was. If you look at how they handled Mepo, who has clawed their way back up to 13th on bound in 2A. Unfortunately, you have to play who you have scheduled. So, I think you're right in the respect that we really won't know until a couple rounds into playoffs.

I think the kicker comment is out of bounds. He's 28 for 30 PATs with 3 FGs. I'm not sure what you expect from 1A kickers. I think you owe the kid an apology.
I missed the kicker comment somehow. It’s not exactly the same thing and has a lot more to it than just having a good kicker. You also have to have a good snapper, holder and blocking.

Yes, they blew out Mepo. Mepo was awful in pass coverage and has since made numerous changes for the better. ICR was by far the better them though and I think had something to prove vs 2A Mepo who beat them last year. Mepo wanted a tougher non-district slate and they got it. It’ll be better for them in the long run.

The questions for me with Regina would be depth and can they run the ball effectively if needed though I haven’t paid attention since the Mepo beat down.

I think we'll have to wait and see. I don't think anyone thought that schedule of 2A opponents as going to be as weak as it was. If you look at how they handled Mepo, who has clawed their way back up to 13th on bound in 2A. Unfortunately, you have to play who you have scheduled.
2A is not as deep or good as 1A.

Not a knock on Mediapolis, it's just the reality.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
2A is not as deep or good as 1A.

Not a knock on Mediapolis, it's just the reality.
and I agree, but the point was the Mepo was 'good" competition. Not as good as the top 1A or 2A teams, but a team that steps out of the "worst of the worst" characterization.

Regina and WB this Friday night in WB will be a good one.
Obviously the game means a ton to both teams. What does a win or loss mean in the rankings? A win by either team and its a win in a weak district? A big win may mean something to the rankers.

Lots of games that should be good this week:

MFL @ DNH - tough road game after what must have been a heart-breaking homecoming loss - Close fight or a commanding message of a bounce-back game? MFL averages 234 yds rushing, DNH has allowed only 83/game (but against some teams that don't necessarily run big)

Underwood @ Treynor - West Side Championship? if Underwood wins it proves the Van Meter loss doesn't mean much in context (if it even does already) Treynor wins, they make a strong case for a top 3 ranking. Either way it's likely the 1A-8 Championship.

PC @ S-K - Should be really good. S-K win re-inserts them in the top 10 discussion, PC win is evidence they belong and most likely wins 1A-6

W Sioux @ OABCIG - Not going to matter for the rankings, but it should be the 1A-1 Championship

S Hamilton @ Ogden - S Hamilton needs this one to even stick around and try to break back into top 10. Can't give up this on, or it puts WW Granger into the 1A-7 top spot

Even if South Hamilton should lose, which I doubt, after Ogden got blown out by W-G last week, the Hawks host Woodward-Granger for Senior Night the following week. Which would then be for the district championship. The Hawks only played their starters for a half against Nodaway Valley and they fair caught every punt throughout the game or it might have even been a bigger blowout.

I know Iowa City Regina and Wilton are both undefeated but they haven't really played anyone of significance. South Hamilton did beat a pretty decent South Hardin team and lost to 2A Roland-Story who was previously ranked. Yes their district is weak but other than D3 and D4 most of the districts only have two good teams and they drop off significantly.

Reactions: rc1963
MFL @ DNH - That game has implications, but there are a lot of games that still matter in that district. 4 of the teams in that district are in the IAHSAA top 10.
Underwood @ Treynor - That game will for sure decide the district.
PC @ SK - This game will also decide the title. Remaining games will be lopsided.
WS @ OABCIG - This will probably decide the district but it could be a toss up this year.
SH @ Ogden - I do not see anyone close to SH in this district. Woodward is probably 2nd best and they were beat by 14 by Pleasantville which will finish 3rd in district 6.

D1, D2 and D7 all may have trouble getting a team to the final 8. It all depends on the matchups. I think SH may be the only one to get to the final 8 of those 3 districts.
It will be interesting to see who the 4th Dome team is. I have a feeling that D3, D4 and D8 will each get a team in. The other could be real intersting. It is possible one of those districts could get a 2nd one in too.

We also forgot SF @ Denver - This may help give a little more clarity to the district. Still not decide anything. It could also complicate it more if SF wins. This is the first of 3 very tough games for Denver.

Must have been the back up kicker in the game I watched. My apologies.

OOPS not sure what I did there...

Is KMA its own ranking or is that the same thing as the "Radio Iowa" poll?

And then add to the mix, the boys in Boone are going to start publishing one after week 4.
Sorry for the late reply, but you figured it out. Different than Radio Iowa. Yes, I enjoy seeing their rankings each week for the reasons you mentioned. No arguments from me so far.

Depends how you figure the quality of a district? Top team or 2. 4th place since that is who makes playoffs or last place?
In my opinion (top 3 teams) from worst to best it goes:
D2
D7
D1
D6
D4
D5
D8
D3
D8 has three teams in the top 12 composite rankings. Might have them a little low there.

District 3 is nuts, four teams that are very evenly matched; no idea who's going to win this district.
The forth place team out of District 3 would very likely win several of the other districts out there, other than maybe D4 and D8 (maybe D5).

If SF beats Denver and MFL beats Dike tomorrow (which is very possible), then all 4 top teams in the district will have one district loss.

Spreads according to bcmoore
MFL @ DNH / MFL -1
Sumner @ Denver / Denver -15

Big games the rest of the way out for most teams in D3

A bit surprised SK handled PC so easily.

Was the injury late in the WB/ regina game serious? Looked like the kid was hurt pretty bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT