ADVERTISEMENT

1A

Grundy and Wat. Columbus both have really good QB's. Both defense's played great. Two plays go differently, Wat. Columbus gets the upset.

Gutsy call for GC at the end of the game. 4th and one at the 50 and they freaking go for it. That coach must have a lot of faith in his players to do that! I wouldve punted and let my defense do it’s thing!

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Interesting perspective on Waterloo Columbus. After watching them and WB play in week 3. WB shut them down the 2nd half defensively. Maybe 1A is more open than I thought, but I still believe MFL is the team to beat in 1A

Reactions: DCAHawk
Gutsy call for GC at the end of the game. 4th and one at the 50 and they freaking go for it. That coach must have a lot of faith in his players to do that! I wouldve punted and let my defense do it’s thing!
The other thing you have to understand is with a punt you have the chance of a block, or a long punt return, sometimes eliminating those things with the risk of giving them the ball at the 50 is worth it.

Reactions: IGo42
Grundy needed two defensive scores to hold on for the 21-14 win over unranked Columbus. Including a 97 yard fumble return as Columbus was trying to tie the game at 7. Columbus completed some long passes to stay close and keep the game tight. I thought GC would win more convincingly.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Sounds like you're both saying that if not for the Columbus coaching staff, they'd be a favorite for the 1A State Championship. Strong criticism.

Sounds like you're both saying that if not for the Columbus coaching staff, they'd be a favorite for the 1A State Championship. Strong criticism.
Thanks for attempting to push a narrative. I'm saying that Columbus has all kinds of talent for a 1A school. Every coach has a different way of coaching. He feels his way is the best thing for that particular school. If Coach Schmidt feels the Sailor system is the best thing for Columbus, so be it.

I'm saying that they are a wealth of riches in the talent department. If they get it dialed in, the Sailors are going to be a problem.

Putting the banter to the side here. How bad is District 5? I think Regina and WB are 1A and 1B vice versa, but the rest of the district looks god awful. I’m not sold on Wilton. Cascade, Dyersville , Durant woof.
Yes, putting aside the whole WB/Regina rivalry stuff, even in a down year, either team is going to compete. Yes, WB got their asses handed to them at Williamsburg, not sure anyone in 1A could stand up to that challenge. The thing about WB, is they aren't going to give up, they're probably getting better each week. So, I agree, I think Regina and WB will both beat Wilton (last two weeks of the season). Next week will be as big as any meeting between WB and Regina in terms of meaningfulness, I hope that translates to a really good game. And the lack of quality in the rest of the district won't help either's RPI. They're going to have to show their worth in the playoffs.

Thanks for attempting to push a narrative. I'm saying that Columbus has all kinds of talent for a 1A school. Every coach has a different way of coaching. He feels his way is the best thing for that particular school. If Coach Schmidt feels the Sailor system is the best thing for Columbus, so be it.

I'm saying that they are a wealth of riches in the talent department. If they get it dialed in, the Sailors are going to be a problem.
Not sure what Pinehawk said, but it surely wasn't what I was attempting to convey.

Waterloo Columbus has as much or more skill position talent than any team in 1A. If you cannot see that you don't know much about football. Mason Knipp is a huge plus for them as well.

@GoEagles23 I agree with you 100% on coaching philosophy. When the Sailors get it locked in, they're a top 3 team. No question.

It really is the same for any coach. If you aren't riding a wave of everything working, you're trying to find what needs to change and what needs to just execute. For most teams, it's about growing through the season and recognizing your competition is likely growing too

Top 3? Are you saying that the only two teams in 1A that could beat Columbus are the two that have already beat them? (GC and WB) Cause they're currently 3-2.
I guess Denver, MFL, Regina, Dike, and Underwood wouldn't stand a chance.....smh
"No Question".....I'd definitely question that!

I think what the poster was trying to say is that they have top 3 potential.

One other thing I will mention with Columbus is that they do not have any depth what so ever, that is a minus for them.

BalmeIt-
When Columbus gets it locked in like you believe they will, who are your Top 6?
3. Columbus

BalmeIt-
When Columbus gets it locked in like you believe they will, who are your Top 6?
3. Columbus
I can't answer for BALMEIt, but for me:

1 MFL
2 Columbus
3 Grundy
4 Winner of WB/Regina

Your state champion would/will come from that list (if everyone is healthy). But, I just don't feel the Sailors will be at full go.

Gonna be a fun ride

Last edited:
I'd say Underwood will be in that final 4 discussion when things are all said and done.
Of course they will because the state won't set it up for all EASTERN teams to make the Dome. :)

logic andykassier GIF

Reactions: rc1963
That is true but 8 of those 12 appearances are from programs now in 2A, West Sioux and OABCIG are the remaining teams and they are both down. I do think that Underwood is headed for the dome, but I also feel like the strength in 1A shifted east.

Reactions: IGo42
Class 1A is wide open after I watched that game. Columbus could have easily won.
Did you actually watch that game? There was zero doubt during most of that game that grundy was coming out on top. 2 big plays kept Columbus in that game otherwise it was all defense from Grundy.

Columbus has more pure athletes than any team in 1A. IF they found the right system, the Sailors would be the best team in 1A.
Where are you coming up with these takes? If they were the best team in 1A they would have found a way to win a game at home on a Thursday. They aren't, and in the dome that is a 20-30 point Grundy win.

Friday afternoon fun

I took my composite ranking (and dropped S Hamilton and added WB, since that's of more interest here) and dug out the best and worst in most of the Offensive and Defensive Categories, there were a few surprises (and yes, I get that there's still a disparity of strength of schedule to date).

So, without looking which teams rank in these categories?

BestWorst
# Pass Comp
Pass yd
Pass % comp
yd/pass comp
# Run
Run yds
yd/ carry
Total yds
%pass to run balance
TD
Pass/ game allowed
Yds/game allowed
total TDs allowed
Non Q4 TDs allowed
Sacks

Fun to look at, but like you said strength of schedule and teams playing up a class for non-district is important in my eyes, not just yds. Also my buddy was just at MFL's homecoming pep rally and supposedly when all 11 of their normal starters have been on the field they haven't given up a single point this season....their coach has played their reserves in all games and that's where most of the points have come from.

Fun to look at, but like you said strength of schedule and teams playing up a class for non-district is important in my eyes, not just yds. Also my buddy was just at MFL's homecoming pep rally and supposedly when all 11 of their normal starters have been on the field they haven't given up a single point this season....their coach has played their reserves in all games and that's where most of the points have come from.
Yeah, just looking for ways to analyze since we don't have very many head-to-heads to compare. As I was going through them, there are so "yeah but" factors. The really interesting thing to me was GC lead very few caterogies, but they were in the mix, very balanced across all of them. Huge part of success.

Going back to the east/west discussion, I'd very much like to see the elite 8 be a seeded bracket without geographical consideration. Take away a situation where a solid #3 gets knocked out before the dome, because they're on the wrong side of the state that year.

Reactions: HOOTOWLHOLLOW
Interesting perspective on Waterloo Columbus. After watching them and WB play in week 3. WB shut them down the 2nd half defensively. Maybe 1A is more open than I thought, but I still believe MFL is the team to beat in 1A
Agreed

District 3 is really going to be interesting the rest of year. I thought MFL was definitely the team to beat but now it looks like the district championship is wide open.

That Iowa City Regina SOS. Anyone willing to say whether this team is real or not. They look good on paper but have literally played the worst of the worst and ran up stats in the process. And to think their coach proclaimed this the toughest district in the state. I think they could make a run but have several weaknesses. How can they not have an actual kicker given the talent on the soccer team. I think they finish undefeated and get beat by an Underwood or MFL type team that is physical. They seem weak.

• Wow
Reactions: Pinehawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT