ADVERTISEMENT

1A

I’m interested in the p-c thing too. Are they for real? I guess we’ll see how they stack up against a grundy team that spanked AP. P-C seems to have reloaded after losing a lot of starters
It will be an interesting game. PC did lose a lot from last year. All the line, QB and receivers are gone. Just 3 starters on offense and 4 on defense returned, plus PC lineup is really small. Grundy returns about everyone. At the beginning of the season this did not even look like a close game.

S-K , after week 1 , I thought they were just another so-so team. Looks like they’re in the mix, not just the win, but the margin

MFL sure sounds impressive. It’ll be interesting to see which teams grow into the playoffs.

DNH and WB seem to have only proven they’re a pretty even matchup. Missed FG the difference in a win or loss there. Gotta feel for that kid. Question now for both teams is how good or average they are. I don’t think an 0-2 star for WB kills anything there. They’ll be there and if anything step up feeling maybe they have something to prove.,

And what about PC winning after 2 OTs to PCM ?
I’m a WB guy and the first two games have been extremely tough. We all knew this would be a tough year going in. I figured Williamsburg would beat WB. I have them winning the 3A title. I really expected WB to improve from Week 1 to Week 2, and they did. That missed FG decided the game. I’m still unimpressed with WB O-Line. I really had high expectations of that group going into this year. The 2nd half of the DNH game they looked better but still not great. WB passing game improved from week 1 to week 2 but still a lot to be desired there. The WB front 7 on defense the 2nd half looked great. Their secondary still is a huge weak spot, 2nd week in a row letting WRs run right by them and letting them hang out behind them. Another huge test with Waterloo Columbus this Friday. If they continue to improve I still believe they will win the district.

S-K , after week 1 , I thought they were just another so-so team. Looks like they’re in the mix, not just the win, but the margin

MFL sure sounds impressive. It’ll be interesting to see which teams grow into the playoffs.

DNH and WB seem to have only proven they’re a pretty even matchup. Missed FG the difference in a win or loss there. Gotta feel for that kid. Question now for both teams is how good or average they are. I don’t think an 0-2 star for WB kills anything there. They’ll be there and if anything step up feeling maybe they have something to prove.,

And what about PC winning after 2 OTs to PCM ?
If a team stops SK big plays then they don’t have much. They pretty much had 0 yards outside their 3 big plays vs Mepo. Yes, I know they had the big plays, but if a team can prevent them then I’m unimpressed. Their defense was stout though. It was a much better game then the score indicates. Typical hard hitting Mepo/SK game.

I’m a WB guy and the first two games have been extremely tough. We all knew this would be a tough year going in. I figured Williamsburg would beat WB. I have them winning the 3A title. I really expected WB to improve from Week 1 to Week 2, and they did. That missed FG decided the game. I’m still unimpressed with WB O-Line. I really had high expectations of that group going into this year. The 2nd half of the DNH game they looked better but still not great. WB passing game improved from week 1 to week 2 but still a lot to be desired there. The WB front 7 on defense the 2nd half looked great. Their secondary still is a huge weak spot, 2nd week in a row letting WRs run right by them and letting them hang out behind them. Another huge test with Waterloo Columbus this Friday. If they continue to improve I still believe they will win the district.
Surprises me about their o line. I figured that would be the strength of the team?

I’m a WB guy and the first two games have been extremely tough. That missed FG decided the game.
With all due respect, the missed FG was just one of many things that cost WB the game. As for the secondary, it gets a little better this week.

You're right. Columbus is going to be a handful. The kids lace em up for battle and will be ready. You never know what can happen.

Gotta keep Mason Knipp in check. He's arguably the most dominant defensive player in all of Iowa.

Reactions: EIHCGuy
How would folks rank the strength of each division? I know one coach proclaimed 1a-5 was toughest by far but it looks like the weakest now. 4, 3, 6 in that order at the top?

If a team stops SK big plays then they don’t have much. They pretty much had 0 yards outside their 3 big plays vs Mepo. Yes, I know they had the big plays, but if a team can prevent them then I’m unimpressed. Their defense was stout though. It was a much better game then the score indicates. Typical hard hitting Mepo/SK game.
I think that is how they jumped out for the early lead on PCM in week one. They ended up losing 22-15 but PCM has some big guys on the line and they play dirty. They must lull you to sleep with that offense then hit for the big one.

Wow, Regina cruises to a 45-7 win over Mediapolis. Mepo definitely not ready for that good passing attack that was firing on all cylinders. Good luck the rest of the season. Color me impressed.

Reactions: Pinehawk and rc1963
Wow, Regina cruises to a 45-7 win over Mediapolis. Mepo definitely not ready for that good passing attack that was firing on all cylinders. Good luck the rest of the season. Color me impressed.
Regina right now:

Minnesota Vikings Football GIF

With all due respect, the missed FG was just one of many things that cost WB the game. As for the secondary, it gets a little better this week.

You're right. Columbus is going to be a handful. The kids lace em up for battle and will be ready. You never know what can happen.

Gotta keep Mason Knipp in check. He's arguably the most dominant defensive player in all of Iowa.
Kind of nailed this one. Bears with a tough road W.

Not surprised based on season results thus far. No offense mepodawg but thought mepo was pretty over rated. Did I see that regina starters stayed in until the 4th? Thought for sure your DC would figure out the Naeve show. I would send heat every down. Not that hard to get in that qb/coaches head.

• Wow
Reactions: Pinehawk
SK barely beats MP. Think that sorts a few things out about some early season records.

Not surprised based on season results thus far. No offense mepodawg but thought mepo was pretty over rated. Did I see that regina starters stayed in until the 4th? Thought for sure your DC would figure out the Naeve show. I would send heat every down. Not that hard to get in that qb/coaches head.
Yes, starters were in until 5:45 left in the 4th quarter up 45-7. I was interested to see how Mepo handled the pass happy offense, obviously not well. We’ll see how the rest of the season goes. Lots of games left and will get into district play in a very winnable district, but got a lot to work on.

You know it was a good game when the criticism is about how long the starters played.
Regina with long passing strikes, early and often. Solid defense, with 3 picks I believe, and a punt blocked and returned for a touchdown. Running clock in the 3rd quarter.

Surprised WB won, they’d shown very little on offense the first two weeks. District will come down to Regina or WB once again.

• Haha
Reactions: DCAHawk
Good win for WB. Passing game looked better, they look to have found their QB. Still have work to do but I like the direction they’re going. OLine looked better than last week, again still feel they haven’t reached their full potential. Front 7 on defense looked great in the 2nd half I felt. Passing defense is still wildly inconsistent, this needs to get shored up. Agreed district comes down to WB and Regina.

Reactions: GoEagles23
You know it was a good game when the criticism is about how long the starters played.
Regina with long passing strikes, early and often. Solid defense, with 3 picks I believe, and a punt blocked and returned for a touchdown. Running clock in the 3rd quarter.

Surprised WB won, they’d shown very little on offense the first two weeks. District will come down to Regina or WB once again.
Nobody criticized it, just answering a question and stating a fact. It’s non-district play to get better and Mepo had their starters in, too, so it is what it is. It probably comes down to who pulls their starters first.

Only 2 interceptions with one being with 12 seconds left with backups in.

Great game by ICR. Good luck.

Last edited:
Yes, starters were in until 5:45 left in the 4th quarter up 45-7. I was interested to see how Mepo handled the pass happy offense, obviously not well. We’ll see how the rest of the season goes. Lots of games left and will get into district play in a very winnable district, but got a lot to work on.
On a team with limited depth leaving starters in that late is risky

Agreed. Someone is trying to make a point and I hope for the sake of the kids it doesn't backfire. Good team that could make the dome of egos don't get in the way.

I knew West Branch had brought in the three West Liberty kids. And the two Solon kids, but I didn’t know they brought in another QB from Iowa City Liberty. No high school works the transfer game harder than WB.

Started subbing as soon as the running clock was attained. Kept most starters one more series to be sure they didn’t give back the running clock.

Pretty much “see spot run” call, no message. The last 3 games with Mepo have been pretty healthy competition. Good fan base down there (other than the one guy trying to simulate Regina snap count. Somebody must have told his to stop being a turd.)

@BlameIt looks like Pine has hijacked another one.

And Pine, name me one kid on Regina that isn't a transfer/open enrolled. Just one.
Regina’s team are almost all the same kids that have been there since elementary school.
West Branch has a culture of recruiting kids to fill specific holes on their football team. They are easy to list. Comparing the two isn’t even close. Just own up to it.

WB has had one actual WB kid play QB in their last handful of QB’s (from WL, City High, Liberty, Liberty). Both that did get a shot were coaches kids.
If those facts are wrong, please explain how.

Regina’s team are almost all the same kids that have been there since elementary school.
West Branch has a culture of recruiting kids to fill specific holes on their football team. They are easy to list. Comparing the two isn’t even close. Just own up to it.

WB has had one actual WB kid play QB in their last handful of QB’s (from WL, City High, Liberty, Liberty). Both that did get a shot were coaches kids.
troll GIF

@BlameIt looks like Pine has hijacked another one.

And Pine, name me one kid on Regina that isn't a transfer/open enrolled. Just one.
I can answer the last one. None, never has been, never will be. It’s a bit of a tiresome response on your part. As a private school with no school district it is physically impossible to not have every student, every single one, from the chess club kid, the arts kid, the no extra curricular kid all are transfer/open enrolled. You need to start looking for the kids that show up late in their careers. If Pine is wrong point it out. Find the late arrivals at Regina otherwise you are just picking the low hanging fruit and you can do better than that

Reactions: Pinehawk

Um, dumont recruited last years running back from tipton and brought in naeve (best player on the team this year) from his 7v7 team as an 8th grader.

I have an idea, why don't Regina and West Branch fans form their own forum so we do not have to listen to the bickering.

I have an idea, why don't Regina and West Branch fans form their own forum so we do not have to listen to the bickering.
Regina fan here, and for the record, I don't want to be a part of any of this bickering crap either, or any recruiting bickering. Kids/parents chose the best situation for their kids, it's always been that way and it always will be, get over it.

Reactions: gdkid2010
You all do realize pine brings this up every year 2-3 times. From what I see on here WB fans have stopped bringing this up. Pine is a 40 year old still stuck in high school.

• Sad
Reactions: Pinehawk and rc1963
I am not picking on one school or another. Anyone school can get kids from another school whether private or public. It is a fact so lets just talk about teams.
My opinion on top schools. If the teams keep winning, I think the top 4 that the IAHSAA will seed starting in a couple weeks are, in no particular order, Underwood, GC, MFL and Regina. Only 1 loss between them but Underwood only lost to Van Meter by 7.
NW Iowa is not strong like in the past. I think they will be paired with Underwood. District 2 with district 3. District 4 will be paired with most of district 5 except Regina. They will be paired with Parts of district 7 and dstrict 7.
Not sure how the IAHSAA will rank teams since it is new this year.

Reactions: DCAHawk and rc1963
You all do realize pine brings this up every year 2-3 times. From what I see on here WB fans have stopped bringing this up. Pine is a 40 year old still stuck in high school.
I just think people should know that West Branch isn't winning with West Branch kids. All of their best players in recent years, playing key positions, come from other towns.

• Haha
Reactions: ISUfan00
I am not picking on one school or another. Anyone school can get kids from another school whether private or public. It is a fact so lets just talk about teams.
My opinion on top schools. If the teams keep winning, I think the top 4 that the IAHSAA will seed starting in a couple weeks are, in no particular order, Underwood, GC, MFL and Regina. Only 1 loss between them but Underwood only lost to Van Meter by 7.
NW Iowa is not strong like in the past. I think they will be paired with Underwood. District 2 with district 3. District 4 will be paired with most of district 5 except Regina. They will be paired with Parts of district 7 and dstrict 7.
Not sure how the IAHSAA will rank teams since it is new this year.
The thing I’m not clear on is whether the first round matchups will be district tied ? So will I’d be district 3 #1 vs district 4 #4 and Vice versa ? Then 2-3 also from those districts? Or will it be that a district #1 plays some districts #4 and not necessarily the same districts for the other matchups?

I’m almost at a point of saying geography be dammed, seed the whole thing as one big 32 team bracket.

I just think people should know that West Branch isn't winning with West Branch kids. All of their best players in recent years, playing key positions, come from other towns.
And Kennedy and SE Polk (not to pick on anyone) aren’t winning With 100% home grown talent either. It’s literally not an issue anywhere. Kids will go where they think there’s opportunity for them, up classes, down, whatever. So, there’s no point in discussing, arguing or pointing fingers.

Reactions: privateer13
And Kennedy and SE Polk (not to pick on anyone) aren’t winning With 100% home grown talent either. It’s literally not an issue anywhere. Kids will go where they think there’s opportunity for them, up classes, down, whatever. So, there’s no point in discussing, arguing or pointing fingers.
It's not even close to comparable. You have to go back to 2014-15 to find the last time WB had a non-transfer at QB that wasn't a coaches's son. 2014. Almost 10 years.
No other team in the state is doing that.

And, these are kids from 5A schools coming DOWN to play at a 1A school. You might see lateral transfers, or kids moving up classes for more exposure at a bigger school. But, not that many where kids are going 5A down to 1A. Yet, that is pretty common at WB. Again, if that is not true, please point out where I'm wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT