ADVERTISEMENT

1A Top Ten 2018-19

Hawk2015

Freshman
Jan 8, 2015
What are everyone's thoughts on the teams to watch for next year in 1A?

Here are my top teams in no particular order.

Algona Garrigan
Grand View
Don Bosco
Stanton
Montezuma
New London
Meskwaki
GLR
IKM
Belle Plain
GTRA
Notre Dame
West Fork
ACA

Who am I missing?

Here are my top ten for next year...any thoughts? 1A will look different next year without North Linn & Boyden Hull moving to 2A.

1. Grand View Christian
2. Algona Garrigan
3. Don Bosco
4. GLR
5. ACA
6. Montezuma
7. West Fork
8. Meskawki
9. New London
10. GTRA

Reactions: mylameusername
Looks really good Hawk2015.

GVC returns everyone except DeMeulenaere, but he was their leader. Remains to be seen how much of an impact it will have. Lots of seniors in that group, could be the last hurrah??

ACA has a lot returning with Goergen, Grizzle and Elrod. ACA was a top 5-10 club this year but is always placed in a district with GVC. They would've made substate or state. It would be nice to have them seperated to a different district this next year.

Don Bosco returns a lot of their team from the 3rd place finisher.

ACA has a lot returning with Goergen, Grizzle and Elrod. ACA was a top 5-10 club this year but is always placed in a district with GVC. They would've made substate or state. It would be nice to have them seperated to a different district this next year.
Completely agree.

GVC returns everyone except DeMeulenaere, but he was their leader. Remains to be seen how much of an impact it will have. Lots of seniors in that group, could be the last hurrah??

Not sure if the Boys in Boone will put ACA in a different Substate than GVC if both are top 5 teams next year. It seems to me that Boone has been trying to separate the top teams in the past few years to try to get the best teams to the Well, but you never know. ACA needs to do their part and start winning against some tougher teams like EB next year to prove they deserve to be one of the top teams. ACA will definitely miss a couple of seniors that they are losing, so it will be interesting to see how good they will be next year.

Here are my top ten for next year...any thoughts? 1A will look different next year without North Linn & Boyden Hull moving to 2A.

1. Grand View Christian
2. Algona Garrigan
3. Don Bosco
4. GLR
5. ACA
6. Montezuma
7. West Fork
8. Meskawki
9. New London
10. GTRA
Garrigan? No.

The thing about ACA is that since they are central Iowa, it's conceivable they could be moved to several different substates.

Sure they were good this year and it is possible they could have won a different substate, but it's quite possible they would not have. If they were to be sent east, would they have been that much better than Lynnville-Sully? Comparable in talent, but I am not sure they were.

Not sure if the Boys in Boone will put ACA in a different Substate than GVC if both are top 5 teams next year. It seems to me that Boone has been trying to separate the top teams in the past few years to try to get the best teams to the Well, but you never know. ACA needs to do their part and start winning against some tougher teams like EB next year to prove they deserve to be one of the top teams. ACA will definitely miss a couple of seniors that they are losing, so it will be interesting to see how good they will be next year.

I completely agree with you. They were likely on a similar level as Lynnville Sully, and could've lost to them at substate. Kind of what I was getting at in saying ACA was top10 but bottom half. If they had possibly made it to state, likely out in round 1.

1. Grand View Christian
2. Algona Garrigan
3. Don Bosco
4. GLR
5. ACA
6. Montezuma
7. West Fork
8. Meskawki
9. New London
10. GTRA
Pretty good job.

Isn't Nort Linn going 2A next year?

I don't know if it's a given, but based on the new BEDS posted on the IAHSAA site, I'd say it's likely. NL, BH and Madrid all take decent jumps in enrollment, while a few other schools drop slightly or stay the same. With as bunched as the smallest 2A and biggest 1A schools are, an 11 student jump in BEDS (like NL) can move you up.

For comparison, NL is going from BEDS of 154 to 166, B-H from 152 to 164 and Madrid from 155 to 168. It looks like Sioux Central was the smallest 2A school last year at 156, the are growing to 160 in 2019. However, they are going from the 208th biggest school to 209th biggest school. I didn't spend enough time to see who is dropping a bunch.

http://www.iahsaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-2018-BEDs-Num_8-23-17.pdf
http://www.iahsaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/2018-2019-BEDs-Num.pdf

My biggest question with GVC is...can whoever takes over point from DeMeulenaere control things the way he did? I have no doubt his scoring will be made up for, it's more his defense and his command of the offense that I wonder about.

I look for Don Bosco to take a step back next year. They'll still be good, but they lose half their scoring with Nie, McFadden and Weber gone. I'd actually look for Dunkerton to improve a bit and Janesville to pass them as far as the conference.

Someone above mentioned Meskwaki. They'll be really good with certain matchups, but they're losing their best player and they have problems with anyone that has a good big. MSS and Baxter will be the two best on the South side of the IowaStar, but I'd guess they'll finish 2nd behind BHS.

My biggest question with GVC is...can whoever takes over point from DeMeulenaere control things the way he did? I have no doubt his scoring will be made up for, it's more his defense and his command of the offense that I wonder about.

I look for Don Bosco to take a step back next year. They'll still be good, but they lose half their scoring with Nie, McFadden and Weber gone. I'd actually look for Dunkerton to improve a bit and Janesville to pass them as far as the conference.

Someone above mentioned Meskwaki. They'll be really good with certain matchups, but they're losing their best player and they have problems with anyone that has a good big. MSS and Baxter will be the two best on the South side of the IowaStar, but I'd guess they'll finish 2nd behind BHS.
I heard Samake is going to take over PG.

I'm pretty that if GVC didn't already have a PG on the bench, one probably started school there sometime in the last couple of weeks...

Just heard Mach Nyaw might be heading back to Storm Lake. Anyone else hear this? If he does that leaves Grand View without their two starting guards and top two scorers from last year.

1. Grandview- defending champs? I thinks this one needs little explaining

2. Bishop Garrigan- biggest team in the state in class 1A boasting a starting 5 that looks like a 4A squad. They return every player. Not only big but very skilled and there success next year will be based on how well they shoot from the outside

3. GLR- one of the better coached teams in the state. Like Garrigan, they are big lengthy and play good defense. Tough nosed players bring and edge to them. They will need to find success from the outside if they want to make noise at state

4. Dunkerton- while not playing a great schedule this team just finds ways to win. They return quite a bit next year and are well coached. They need to be more consistent defensively and shooting wise to have a chance at getting to the chip

5. ACA- great guard play last year and I expect that to continue. NEED to play better defense next year. Fun team to watch as well. I think if there defense can improve drastically don’t be surprised to see them in the final 4

6. Don Bosco- spectacular point guard who makes the team go and will tough to stop next year. Lose a great shooter and big man inside but have a good rising junior at the other guard spot. Not the best offensive or defensive team in the state but just a very consistent squad

7. West Fork- had a great season last year making it to substate. Have a Top 8 player in class 1A and look for him to score 25+ potentially. Good junior point guard as well who is tough nosed and can score efficiently

8. Montezuma- Second best to be sophomore in class 1A. He will dominate 1A competition. Reminds me a lot of Joe Smoldnt of Gladbrook Reinbeck. Putting them here based of this player alone. He’s really special and in class 1A, one player can win u 20+ games if the team buys into it.

9. Bedford- a team not talked about enough. Have 2 very good juniors who can flat out score. My only question for this team is if they play good competition or not? They seem to play good in regular season but haven’t gotten over the hump. Don’t be surprised if you see this team down at the wells

10. St Edmonds- Have the best scorer in class 1A back next year. He can really dominate a game. Also have an absolute sniper to pair with him at the guard spot. Play in a confernece with much bigger schools but I’d hate to get these guys in my district. There a tough out for any team, even the big dogs.

Please feel free to comment on my list
Sorry if there’s spelling errors/grammaticall mistakes. I wrote this in a hurry

Reactions: iowalongs230
1. Grandview- defending champs? I thinks this one needs little explaining

2. Bishop Garrigan- biggest team in the state in class 1A boasting a starting 5 that looks like a 4A squad. They return every player. Not only big but very skilled and there success next year will be based on how well they shoot from the outside

3. GLR- one of the better coached teams in the state. Like Garrigan, they are big lengthy and play good defense. Tough nosed players bring and edge to them. They will need to find success from the outside if they want to make noise at state

4. Dunkerton- while not playing a great schedule this team just finds ways to win. They return quite a bit next year and are well coached. They need to be more consistent defensively and shooting wise to have a chance at getting to the chip

5. ACA- great guard play last year and I expect that to continue. NEED to play better defense next year. Fun team to watch as well. I think if there defense can improve drastically don’t be surprised to see them in the final 4

6. Don Bosco- spectacular point guard who makes the team go and will tough to stop next year. Lose a great shooter and big man inside but have a good rising junior at the other guard spot. Not the best offensive or defensive team in the state but just a very consistent squad

7. West Fork- had a great season last year making it to substate. Have a Top 8 player in class 1A and look for him to score 25+ potentially. Good junior point guard as well who is tough nosed and can score efficiently

8. Montezuma- Second best to be sophomore in class 1A. He will dominate 1A competition. Reminds me a lot of Joe Smoldnt of Gladbrook Reinbeck. Putting them here based of this player alone. He’s really special and in class 1A, one player can win u 20+ games if the team buys into it.

9. Bedford- a team not talked about enough. Have 2 very good juniors who can flat out score. My only question for this team is if they play good competition or not? They seem to play good in regular season but haven’t gotten over the hump. Don’t be surprised if you see this team down at the wells

10. St Edmonds- Have the best scorer in class 1A back next year. He can really dominate a game. Also have an absolute sniper to pair with him at the guard spot. Play in a confernece with much bigger schools but I’d hate to get these guys in my district. There a tough out for any team, even the big dogs.

Please feel free to comment on my list
Sorry if there’s spelling errors/grammaticall mistakes. I wrote this in a hurry

Pretty good list. I do think that GV will be the biggest team in Class 1A rather than Algona Garrigan.

Well when I saw Algona Garrigan play at the drake camp they went 6’8, 6’6, 6’5, 6’6/6’5 (couldn’t really tell because he was skinny and skinny kids tend to look taller) and 6’2

I saw grandview play and they have the 2 6’7 players but there guards were all about 5’10

Gosh that’s going to be a fun game to watch in the championship if they both make it. I hear Garrigan’s rising sophomore is the real deal and he’s D1 for sure. But Samake is a freak athlete. Grandview will be fine rebounding as will Garrigan. In my humble opinion that game would come down to who makes more outside shots. Both teams really aren’t great shooting teams. Grandview shoots more and makes more but at a lower percentage while Garrigan shoots a higher percentage but less of them and makes less. But grandview is overall more athletic so I’ll give them a slight edge

Grand View certainly deserves respect, but I have a hard time seeing them being as good as the last two years simply because of the guard losses. The returning guards will be good, but nowhere near the talents Nyaw and DeMeulenare were. Their front court is dang impressive though.

100% agree with you. Both of those guards were elite 1A guards and were able to keep up with Hilmer and Miller of North Linn. But losing those 2 they’ll struggle against top guard play like Don Bosco and Ankeny Christian. Sorry I missed any good teams with great guards lol. I could see about 4 teams winning it all next year. The others are long shots but they have the ability to get there. Garrigan didn’t go to state last year but i looked at there quick stats and I saw they had no seniors which really can make it tough on underclassmen to be motivated. I had this same situation when I was in high school. Grandview and Garrigan are the favorites but don’t be surprised to not see either of them in the chip

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT