ADVERTISEMENT

1A Preview

Cedar Rapids Xavier, pretty much the most dominant high school soccer team of my high school career FINALLY graduated all of those seniors last year. Norwalk graduated defender Austin Adamson and midfielder Rob Smiley. Look for Norwalk to be a strong contender for the state championship with the senior leadership of Gabe Crall, Nate Van Horn, Brian Michelson, and Junior Kyle Cummings. Not to mention, Eric May, last years State All-Tournament team captain. Ben Smiley will be in the goal for the Warriors as he shut out everyone at the state tournament last year. Should be another strong year for Norwalk.

Yes. Good to see Xavier graduate those seniors even though they are still in good shape with seniors; Konchar, Wynne, and Peterson plus Bader and Bales.

Mt. Vernon/Lisbon only lost a few seniors from last year, but they will be without junior Drew Russell. They pick up two foreign exchange students from Venezuela and a younger Russell coming in.

Regina will be solid but not as strong as last year. Solon graduated a number of seniors but still have Lyle Gardner along with their capable junior goalie.

Bondurant-Farrar has a solid group of Seniors.. led by Brandon Cook who scored 33 or 34 goals last spring.

Their Juniors, Sophomores, and Freshman classes I really don't know much about...

But I'd expect them to be towards the top of the MISL.

In the past few years I think almost everyone scores a goal or two, but Cook does most of the scoring. I don't know if that will be true this year too of if someone will step up and put a few more in the back of the net. I wouldn't be surprised, from what I've heard from some people I know is their seniors are really into soccer and dedicated. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Originally posted by 4_1A_2_Nv:
who else scores for bondurant besides cook though?
Keegan Paulsan will probably be second on the team in total goals scored, he's a Junior and has seen varsity minutes since his Freshman year, and last spring he started as a Sophomore.. good player, needs to maintain a positive attitude though.

Chad Malmanger I would guess will be third on the team in goals, he's a Senior and has seen varsity minutes since his Sophomore year.. decent player.

So other then Cook, Paulsen, and Malmanger it's tough to say where the goals are going to come from. They have some talented Sophomores but I'm not quite sure what their positions are? I think they're closer to the goalkeeper if I remember right?

But yeah, Cook won't be able to do it all, so if they want to finally have some postseason success other players will need to step up big time.

If I recall, their goalies is the Menace goalie, Peterson? And he's a pretty solid keeper. They had a solid defense last year and they return all but Vandehaar who seems like he was there forever. I don't know how spread out they will be. I'm very interested in this team. Hopefully this season I will make more than a game or two like last season.

Yeah, Cameron has really developed into a fine GK. He plays on the same Menace team has Cook, and also a few kids from Norwalk I believe?

Quite a few Norwalk boys play for the Menace. So who are the other seniors for Bondurant this year? I know they had two for basketball, I hope the numbers are much better for soccer.

Originally posted by tigermasta71:
Quite a few Norwalk boys play for the Menace. So who are the other seniors for Bondurant this year? I know they had two for basketball, I hope the numbers are much better for soccer.
Seniors -

Brandon Cook
Chad Malmanger
Alex White
Cameron Peterson
Ben Shivers
Daniel Varguson
Matt McConnell
Matt Cornish
Tannes Comegys

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head... there may be more? Not sure.

Ok thanks. The Vargason (sp.) kid was the other basketball player right? And I know Shivers is the wrestler. I wonder how well this team will turn out with that many seniors. I assume there are at least a few good leaders in there so it should be pretty good for them.

Any info on the other 1A Schools? Here is a list of schools that have been very decent in the past 4-5 years or so and i'd like to know what they are going to be like this year.

Glenwood - used to be a powerhouse, havent seen them in a couple years
Harlan - has made it to state a time or two
Dubuque Wahlert - was there in 2004
Perry - decent reputation, i think they graduated Perez though
Pella - graduated Klayton Boeyink might be decent
ADM - were a very solid team last year. also made a state appearance
DC-G - usually is solid
Denison-Schleswig - state runner up
Ford Madison - made a run to state in 2006
Holy Trinity - has been at state. has had some high stat goal scorers in the past
Decorah - had a tagteam in 2005. anyone else coming up?
Davenport Assumption - typically has a good season

and im sure im forgetting to mention Waterloo Columbus Catholic as well. hell, if you think they are worthy. state who you got and your predictions for the year.

Spencer lost to Denison last year in the Substate Final game after beating Hull-western, Harlan, and Unity. Spencer lost one varsity senior. Good group of Sophomores and Freshman could push the juniors and seniors to work harder in practice. Won the Waverly Shell rock tournament last year as well beating Decorah, Mason City, and Waverly Shell rock.

Coming back with Junior Alex Toay (Set the goal scoring record last year for Spencer High School), Kyle Fitch (Outstanding athletic wise, and goalie, may play a little mid fielding here and there this year)Some other notable players: Scott Pruitt, Blake and Hunter Vedincamp (Spelling?). Should be a good year.

SpencerPride - thanks for the info.

anyone else have any other info on teams?

who do you predict wins the state tournament this year? i know it is early, but basketball is starting to get over so its time to move on to the real sport :D

because all you ever hear about on here is how good Kluck is. especially when he is the one that posts it all the time.

i guess i forgot columbus.

Yeah, practice will be starting for teams here in the next few weeks. Better practice safe! It may be slippery. Dont want any unsuspecting ACL's blown out :-\

On that topic, any idea on any impacting injuries to key starters for teams around the state?

Any word on the Pella Dutch?

My guess is Pella Dutch will be down; they lost quite a bit of talent.

Hope everyone has good practices. My guess is most teams aren't on fields yet because of the snow, ice, and moisture.

The magic square was quite fun today. Hahaha

as far as individual players i know 2 really good ones are Brady Blankenship from Glenwood and Kevin Irr out of Creston are very solid. As far as there teams are concerned I am not sure what either squad has. Brady has signed for Graceland University and looked really solid when he came down for rookie day. Kevin on the other hand had coaches drooling over him when he scrimmaged as a freshman last year with the Graceland varsity in a scrimmage against the the PDL menace team last year and has been repeatedly begged by ODP coaches to join.

wahlert lost only one starter this year and made it to state and got beat 3-1 to Xavier in the first round,they will be solid

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT