ADVERTISEMENT

1A Postseason

Charles86

Freshman
Aug 6, 2018
Anyone with thoughts on the postseason going into the final week of the regular season for class 1A?

Top 4 in each district? Potential opening pairings?

How is the +/- calculated? It’ll be a three way tie for 3rd in D5 with Durant, Mepo, and Wilton. All have beat each other. I think it’ll Durant and Mepo as the 3/4, but who’s what I don’t know.

I think D5 will play D6. Mepo/Durant @ Sigourney-Keota, Mepo/Durant @ Pella Christian, Cardinal @ West Branch and Central Decatur @ Iowa City Regina.

Last edited:
How is the +/- calculated? It’ll be a three way tie for 3rd in D5 with Durant, Mepo, and Wilton. All have beat each other. I think it’ll Durant and Mepo as the 3/4, but who’s what I don’t know.

I think D5 will play D6. Mepo/Durant @ Sigourney-Keota, Mepo/Durant @ Pella Christian, Cardinal @ West Branch and Central Decatur @ Iowa City Regina.
I think Durant will have the edge for the 3

District 4 has 6-1 MFL MarMac playing 7-0 Dyersville Beckman in the season finale.

Beckman beat Waterloo Columbus 35-34 in OT and Columbus beat MFL 16-14 a few weeks ago.
This district is extremely competitive and spots 1-3 are still to be determined.

All three teams have beaten Cascade so Cascade is 4th playoff spot.

District 3 had Dike NH beat Denver 35-10 on Friday, so Dike #1, Denver #2, AP #3, and South Hardin #4.

Reactions: blcoach80
District 4 has 6-1 MFL MarMac playing 7-0 Dyersville Beckman in the season finale.

Beckman beat Waterloo Columbus 35-34 in OT and Columbus beat MFL 16-14 a few weeks ago.
This district is extremely competitive and spots 1-3 are still to be determined.

All three teams have beaten Cascade so Cascade is 4th playoff spot.

District 3 had Dike NH beat Denver 35-10 on Friday, so Dike #1, Denver #2, AP #3, and South Hardin #4.
Wonder if D3 will be paired with D4?

How’s it calculated?
So they should all finish 2-3 in the district. Going into Friday, Durant was at 0.33, Mepo -1.00, and don’t remember what Wilton was at. Durant will increase that a little bit over Mepo based on their win Friday. Obviously it helps Mepo with the forfeit next week and getting the auto pts needed for the win. It’ll just come down to the Durant/ICR game and how close it is. Wilton plays WB. I guess not for certain tbat Durant has it locked up as far as the 3, but they will have the advantage in +/- going into the final week. We’ll see how it plays out.

Durant 2-2, +12 (at Regina)
Wilton 2-2, -15 (at West Branch)
Mepo 1-3, -14 (at L-M)

Assume Mepo wins by forfeit or by at least 17, and Durant and Wilton both lose.

Durant 2-3, +11 to -5
Mepo 2-3, +3
Wilton 2-3, -16 to -32

It'd be Durant and Mepo. Mepo would need Regina to win by at least 10 in order to take the #3 spot.

Reactions: Charles86
I think that the interesting districts are 6 and 7. They could possibly have the 2 best #2 seeds in class 1A. I would not think that those 2 districts get paired up for more than the first round.

I think that the interesting districts are 6 and 7. They could possibly have the 2 best #2 seeds in class 1A. I would not think that those 2 districts get paired up for more than the first round.
They won’t be paired up in the first round. I think they do sister districts for the first two rounds then seed it with D5 vs D6.

If it is neighboring districts in the first couple postseason rounds, D3 v D4 would have some solid games. Beckman is at home vs MFL and I think they win the district.

With that, here’s what it could look like...

4 South Hardin at 1 Beckman
3 MFL at 2 Denver

4 Cascade at 1 DNH
3 AP at 2 Waterloo Columbus

MFL/Denver would be a great first round game

Reactions: Huehney
If it is neighboring districts in the first couple postseason rounds, D3 v D4 would have some solid games. Beckman is at home vs MFL and I think they win the district.

With that, here’s what it could look like...

4 South Hardin at 1 Beckman
3 MFL at 2 Denver

4 Cascade at 1 DNH
3 AP at 2 Waterloo Columbus

MFL/Denver would be a great first round game
I saw Karter Decker is back playing for MFL. He can be a difference maker

I’m not sure how it will shake out if MFL gets a solid road win. There would be a 3-way tie for first with everyone beating each other.
MFL will be the #1 if they beat Beckman by 4 or more, regardless of the Columbus/S-F result.

L&M has officially forfeited to Mediapolis, +17 for Mepo towards the tie breaker in D5. They will play the JV game Friday night.

Wilton needs to beat West Branch to knock Mepo out and put themselves in which actually puts them at the #2, West Branch #3 and Durant #4 as long as Durant loses to Iowa City Regina. Not going through the scenario of Durant beats Regina and Wilton beats West Branch.

If Wilton loses then Durant needs to stay within 9 or less of Iowa City Regina to be the #3 otherwise Mepo is the #3.

Reactions: Pinehawk
L&M has officially forfeited to Mediapolis, +17 for Mepo towards the tie breaker in D5. They will play the JV game Friday night.

Wilton needs to beat West Branch to knock Mepo out and put themselves in which actually puts them at the #2, West Branch #3 and Durant #4 as long as Durant loses to Iowa City Regina. Not going through the scenario of Durant beats Regina and Wilton beats West Branch.

If Wilton loses then Durant needs to stay within 9 or less of Iowa City Regina to be the #3 otherwise Mepo is the #3.
IF it goes paint, which seems likely, Mepo gets a fairly good break.
They would be the #3 seed having been beaten by the #1, #2, and #4 seeds.

IF it goes paint, which seems likely, Mepo gets a fairly good break.
They would be the #3 seed having been beaten by the #1, #2, and #4 seeds.
Well being #3 and beaten by #1 and #2 isn’t a break, it’s logical. Also, it helps to win big and if lose, lose small. Not our fault Durant lost to Wilton either. Take it any way we can. The playoffs are a chance to start over. Looking forward to the pairings especially if everything goes as it should Friday night.

Well being #3 and beaten by #1 and #2 isn’t a break, it’s logical. Also, it helps to win big and if lose, lose small. Not our fault Durant lost to Wilton either. Take it any way we can. The playoffs are a chance to start over. Looking forward to the pairings especially if everything goes as it should Friday night.
Assume they will come out with pairings late Friday or very early Saturday morning?

Assume they will come out with pairings late Friday or very early Saturday morning?
I believe there’s a deadline of 12:00 (midnight) for any kind of mistakes in scores, +/- etc. If they already have it figured out how they’re pairing, mainly smaller classes then it shouldn’t take long. Not sure what time it was last year.

I believe there’s a deadline of 12:00 (midnight) for any kind of mistakes in scores, +/- etc. If they already have it figured out how they’re pairing, mainly smaller classes then it shouldn’t take long. Not sure what time it was last year.
Last year playoff matchups came out around 11 am on Saturday, but you also had every team make it last year

Reading the postseason manual now, it says round 2 and quarterfinal round will be pods. So round 1 is up in the air for opponents.

Did they add to the manual sometime during the season? Don’t remember seeing that earlier in the season. Could have overlooked that.

For example, if it’s 1 v 4 and 2 v 3, then Mepo (assuming we’re the 3 out of D5) realistically could play West Branch, Pella Christian or Waterloo Columbus (assuming Beckman beats MFL-Mae-Mac).

Reading the postseason manual now, it says round 2 and quarterfinal round will be pods. So round 1 is up in the air for opponents.

Did they add to the manual sometime during the season? Don’t remember seeing that earlier in the season. Could have overlooked that.

For example, if it’s 1 v 4 and 2 v 3, then Mepo (assuming we’re the 3 out of D5) realistically could play West Branch, Pella Christian or Waterloo Columbus (assuming Beckman beats MFL-Mae-Mac).
I would say it will be districts paired up for 1st round then seeded in the pods for the next 2 rounds. My guess is that Mepo will be going to PC because 5 & 6 will be paired up. Not sure just a guess. Have a fun bus ride either way. It will be a late night.

I would say it will be districts paired up for 1st round then seeded in the pods for the next 2 rounds. My guess is that Mepo will be going to PC because 5 & 6 will be paired up. Not sure just a guess. Have a fun bus ride either way. It will be a late night.
That’s my thought as well, but I could see them sending us to West Branch.

With all games on Friday I don't think they care about travel distance, and I know that they don't like district rematches in the first round, so I don't think you see Mediapolis at West Branch.

Being beaten by 1, 2, AND 4
Ya. That seems logical
Did I make the tie breaker rules? Also, what does getting beat by 1 and 2 have to do with anything. If everything goes as it should this week the other two tied for 3rd will have been beaten by 1 and 2 as well. If one of them is upset this week then it’s a moot point. Not sure I follow your logic. How should 3 be decided?

I doubt there will be sister districts in the first round, at least on the western side of the state. If districts 1 and 2 match up then Eagle Grove or Manson would travel to Hawarden. Manson would be 128 miles, Eagle Grove would be 150 miles. District 8 would make more sense for pairing with West Sioux but then you would have Emmetsburg most likely traveling to Underwood. I think you will see some mixing and matching.

I doubt there will be sister districts in the first round, at least on the western side of the state. If districts 1 and 2 match up then Eagle Grove or Manson would travel to Hawarden. Manson would be 128 miles, Eagle Grove would be 150 miles. District 8 would make more sense for pairing with West Sioux but then you would have Emmetsburg most likely traveling to Underwood. I think you will see some mixing and matching.
Those trips to Hawarden are not outrageously far. Games between involving west Lyon have had much further trips through the years. D1/D2 and D7/D8 match up overall best.

If they aren’t going sister districts, maybe the 1s v 4s would look like this. I’m going as they currently are in the standings and I don’t know who everyone plays in the final week. Have no idea and maybe this isn’t remotely close.

4 MVAOCOU at 1 West Sioux

4 South Hardin at 1 SSC

4 Central Decatur at 1 Van Meter

4 Ridge View at 1 Underwood

4 Eagle Grove at 1 DNH

4 Cascade at 1 Regina

4 West Central Valley at 1 SK

4 Wilton at 1 Beckman

I think D1 vs, D8 and D2 vs, D7 will be paired if they do that. D2 is week and they will want to make VM road to the dome as easy as possible. #3 vs. #4 and #5 vs #6 but I am not sure they will pair up districts.

The lack of information from the state is stunning, could they at least tell us WHEN they are going to announce pairings? They used to commit to something like committing to announcing by 10 AM Saturday after the end of regular season, but there's not mention of anything like that (that I can find)

The lack of information from the state is stunning, could they at least tell us WHEN they are going to announce pairings? They used to commit to something like committing to announcing by 10 AM Saturday after the end of regular season, but there's not mention of anything like that (that I can find)

9 a.m. Saturday.

You can relax now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT