ADVERTISEMENT

1A Playoff contest

Anyone that has been on here long enough knows where GOPANTHERS23 is from, if you need help look at UNI basketball teams from 03-06.

Reactions: ExJHawk
Is there a team in the group of 16 that hasn’t been talked about as much that can make a run at the dome and possibly make the championship game? Someone that could be a huge surprise?
I am not sure about not talked about, but I think any of the 8 teams in the east can get to the dome. There is not 1 dominant team. Makes it much more exciting.
The west will dominate the Dome. Everyone is fighting for 2nd. My guess is that 2nd will be Underwood. Not sure how good West Sioux is, but I think Underwood is better. The top of the west is way better than the top of the east.

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
Definitely not a Dike fan or even close to it but been around the area long enough that info you received was a joke. Do better research.
First of all it was not research genius. Just a comment in passing. But looking at the tape, I would agree. Don't get me wrong, they are a good team but not outstanding. Everybody has to be good at this point in the season.

I am not sure about not talked about, but I think any of the 8 teams in the east can get to the dome. There is not 1 dominant team. Makes it much more exciting.
The west will dominate the Dome. Everyone is fighting for 2nd. My guess is that 2nd will be Underwood. Not sure how good West Sioux is, but I think Underwood is better. The top of the west is way better than the top of the east.
I haven't seen anyone, all year, take a position that Van Meter can be beaten, I hope individual teams believe and are working on plans to challenge that, but I'll leave that to the great unknown of the who that will be in the final (or will someone pull the upset earlier? Imagine the reaction in the 1A world if that would happen!!)

So, when you say, 'The top of the west" do you mean Van Meter, or collectively Van Meter, Underwood, maybe West Sioux? How teams stack up East to West is always a big unknown, and it seems in recent years, the east always comes in over confident and west steps up and dominates.... really wish there could be more mixing east to west in the non-district schedules, but the reality of 1A HS ball is that we can't be bussing around 3 hours for the sake of interesting matchups for the first 3 weeks.

That thought raises interest in Western Christian. The only 1A still in with a losing record, one of 3 across all classes. Does this lend validity to the 32 team playoff? They wouldn't have made a 16 team playoff. BC Moore has them as a 99% chance to lose to underwood, by 31+ points, so, does it matter? i.e. does it matter if they would have made the 16 if they can't progress past the 16? Them keeping it close (like under 10) would be the only interesting part of that argument.

Western Christian actually would have qualified in a 16 team field, they were second in the district, they played a meat grinder of a non-district schedule, then were "upset" by Emmetsburg in week 8, my guess is that they knew that they had the 2 seed locked up.

Western Christian actually would have qualified in a 16 team field, they were second in the district, they played a meat grinder of a non-district schedule, then were "upset" by Emmetsburg in week 8, my guess is that they knew that they had the 2 seed locked up.
Hmmm, Varsity Bound is lacking a little info. I had glanced an saw them with the number 3 spot (which is overall record, not district) The district info is off though, it shows them 2-2 in the district play, (and Ridgeview 1-2) so it looks like there are some games missing from the district (conference in VB terms) records.

So, that flips the conversation - Ridgeview wouldn't have made a 16 team PO....A 5-3 team doesn't get in but a 3-5 team does? Does it even matter if Ridgeview gets eliminated this round?

Western set their non district schedule this year knowing those games had no impact on playoffs. While they went 0-3 in non district, those losses were to top 5 ranked teams 1 or 2 classes above them in West Lyon, BHRV and Spirit Lake. So the 4-5 record is a bit deceiving (even with a bad loss to Emmetsburg). The matchup with Underwood will be interesting. BC Moore schedule rankings are WC (1) and Underwoood (48). We'll see if playing a tough schedule early prepares a team well for tougher competition when it counts.

So, that flips the conversation - Ridgeview wouldn't have made a 16 team PO....A 5-3 team doesn't get in but a 3-5 team does? Does it even matter if Ridgeview gets eliminated this round?
In D5

Wilton was 5-3, Durant was 2-6. Wilton defeated Durant.

Durant made the postseason. Wilton did not.

I haven't seen anyone, all year, take a position that Van Meter can be beaten, I hope individual teams believe and are working on plans to challenge that, but I'll leave that to the great unknown of the who that will be in the final (or will someone pull the upset earlier? Imagine the reaction in the 1A world if that would happen!!)

So, when you say, 'The top of the west" do you mean Van Meter, or collectively Van Meter, Underwood, maybe West Sioux? How teams stack up East to West is always a big unknown, and it seems in recent years, the east always comes in over confident and west steps up and dominates.... really wish there could be more mixing east to west in the non-district schedules, but the reality of 1A HS ball is that we can't be bussing around 3 hours for the sake of interesting matchups for the first 3 weeks.

That thought raises interest in Western Christian. The only 1A still in with a losing record, one of 3 across all classes. Does this lend validity to the 32 team playoff? They wouldn't have made a 16 team playoff. BC Moore has them as a 99% chance to lose to underwood, by 31+ points, so, does it matter? i.e. does it matter if they would have made the 16 if they can't progress past the 16? Them keeping it close (like under 10) would be the only interesting part of that argument.
You are correct, I did mean 2 or 3 from the west. Western did have a brutal non district schedule and those NW Iowa teams are always strong. But I think VM, and Underwood would beat anyone from the east 95% of the time. That is why you play the game, there is always that chance...

I would guess that the west will have 2 games with continuous clock. West Sioux and Van Meter. Maybe Underwood. The east all look like really good games. They all have the potential to be single score games.

Some highlights from Ryan Murken's local playoff preview:

West Branch @ Beckman
Key stat: Dyersville Beckman has won seven consecutive home games outscoring opponents by an average score of 34-10.5. The last home loss for the Blazers was a 35-21 setback to West Branch on October 9 of 2020.

West Branch has been stout defensively holding teams to 12 points and 223 total yards per game.

The Bears are allowing just 126 rushing yards per game and have given up more than 161 yards per game on the ground just twice this season, both to 1A playoff qualifiers.

Led by senior tailback Owen Huehnergarth (5-8, 205) the Blazers are averaging 303 rushing yards per game and 6.3 yards per carry.

Defensively Dyersville Beckman is holding opponents to 9.9 points and 234 total yards per game and has allowed more than 300 yards just twice this season.

The Blazers have been especially tough against the run limiting opponents to 86 rushing yards per game.

MFL @ Regina
Key stat: MFL Mar-Mac has scored 29 rushing touchdowns in eight games this season and Regina has allowed three rushing touchdowns in seven games.

For Regina it all starts on defense where the Regals are once again one of the best in the state.

Regina is holding opponents to 10 points and 202 total yards per game this season and is giving up just 111 rushing yards per game and just more than four yards per play.

At the center of the resurgence for MFL Mar-Mac has been the senior running back duo of Cullen McShane (6-2, 210) and Gabe McGeough (5-10, 170).

Together McShane and McGeough have combined for 5,693 career rushing yards and 65 touchdowns and lead a Bulldog ground game that is averaging 316 yards per game this season.

McShane has rushed for a team-high 1,012 yards and 14 touchdowns this season while McGeough has added 927 yards and eight touchdowns.

MFL Mar-Mac is holding opponents to 271 total yards and 20.1 points per game this season and is allowing just 119 yards per game on the ground.

https://yourprepsports.com/2021/10/...reaking-down-the-your-prep-sports-area-games/

Is he questionable or is there a chance he makes it? If he can play at all he has to, since it is the playoffs you have to win the game in front of you.
He left the game against AP for a few plays and when he came back in, you could tell he was having problems throwing the ball. Until he threw a good ball on a game clinching TD pass with 30 seconds left. I would guess he plays and if they need to start throwing more, wouldn't be surprised to see someone else come in

Western Christian at Underwood
Ridge View and West Sioux
ACGC at SCC
Woodward at Van Meter
Pella
Christian at Dike
Waterloo Columbus at Sigourney-Keota
West Branch at Dyersville Beckman
MFL
at Regina

Getting nervous....windy conditions favors which teams?

Western Christian at Underwood
Ridge View and West Sioux
ACGC at SCC
Woodward at Van Meter
Pella Christian at Dike
Waterloo Columbus at Sigourney-Keota
West Branch
at Dyersville Beckman
MFL at Regina

I could be completely wrong about this, but I about picked MFL over Regina, they are the type of team that in the past has given Regina teams trouble, I think back to a few years ago when South Winn almost beat Regina in the first round, same type of style, and Northeast Iowa football is always solid, especially in comparison to Southeast Iowa. But, I also think Regina's district was stronger this year then the districts they have played, in previous years.
If only I would have had the guts to put it for my picks

It’s game week in the quarterfinal round! Two of these games are district rematches, while the other two games feature a lot of talented players that also provide some physical football. Friday should be a great night in 1A.

Week 1 Standings
MepoDawg# - 7
rc1963 - 7
Hawkhopeful - 6
PNation - 6
AllStateSnub8 - 6
MsideChief - 6
GoEagles23 - 6
NWIowaSioux - 6
Prancing Ponies - 5
cypower1 - 5
WBBearsFollower - 5
Hooper2021 - 5
GitRDone_51 - 5
Huehney - 5
janklow - 5
GOPANTHERS23 - 4

Any audio/video links for these games are appreciated. We wanted to attend a game, but will be traveling for a college visit instead.

Looks like gusty conditions on Friday night. Teams that are geared towards running the ball have to like that forecast. Could make things a bit more interesting.

West Sioux 28 Underwood 14
Van Meter 35 ACGC 0
Dike NH 20 Sig/Keota 7

Don't want to give Huehney any billboard material for Beckman vs MFL; the Catholics already have God on their side. :) Regina must have forgotten to say their 10 Hail Mary's and 5 Our Fathers before last Friday's butt kicking by MFL. I expect a much better game this time around between Beckman and MFL. 7 pt game, toss up.

Reactions: Huehney
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT