ADVERTISEMENT

1A, 3A Substate Semi-Finals Thursday, Feb. 21

EastIowaHawk

All District
Jan 6, 2008
There are some great games tonight, and there are bound to be some heart-wrenching upsets. I'll post scores, but I hope you can help out with comments and observations about your teams. Should so many of these teams have a home-court advantage?

Looking forward to the Xavier-Assumption game and Marion-Wahlert game tonight in 3A

There are some great games tonight, and there are bound to be some heart-wrenching upsets. I'll post scores, but I hope you can help out with comments and observations about your teams. Should so many of these teams have a home-court advantage?
Yes, they earned the home court during the regular season. Having the substate final at a neutral site is also reasonably fair. The most unfair thing may be the absence of a shot clock. It allows teams that are inferior a strategy that could cause some issues with teams and even the game.

Fair points. Inferior teams get more scarce the farther along the tourney trail we go. I don't have a strong opinion on the shot clock one way or the other. I don't see very many stall games. Coaches have to take whatever methods can help their team win. What I see a lot of is a really good defensive team keeping the other team from getting a clear shot, which slows down some games. About the games mentioned, I think Marion- Wahlert is a toss-up. Maybe Marion has the advantage at home. I think Assumption is superior to Xavier, and they have only one loss (Pleasant Valley) that wasn't to a rated team at the time. But prior games mean almost nothing at tourney time.

Last edited:
Two top 10 1a teams meet tonight with George Little Rock facing South O’Brien. I’m betting on GLR taking the win. The only way I see SOB winning is if they out coach GLR. They run their slow paced zone game well and it can fluster teams.

41-31 Marion over Dub. Wahlert at halftime. Eleven 3-pointers in game so far, nine by Marion at home. Marion looking like they want a return to Des Moines again this year.

Last edited:
Congrats to the Grundy Center with an upset over West Fork 63-79. The Spartans started their season 2-8. Impressive turnaround

Last edited:
Reactions: mtdew_fever
Wild finish at Marion as Wahlert came back to tie with under 2 minutes, but the Indians prevail 72- 66 at the free throw line.. Huge games for Marion from Hendrickson (27) and Paulsen (23). Schockemoehl with 26 for Wahlert. Young Wahlert returns four starters and their top three scorers next season. Congrats to the Marion Indians who dominated on the offensive boards..

Last edited:
Reactions: mtdew_fever
Fairfield 51,Mt. Pleasant 30
Dav. Assumption 40, CR Xavier 38
Gilbert 60, ADM 54
Norwalk 68, Dallas Center-Grimes 48
Pella 80, Carlisle 51
SB- Luten 64, Spencer 41
Spirit Lake 68, Storm Lake 67 Ouch.
WACO 41, New London 37
Sioux Central 54, Newell Fonda 44
Prince of Peace 60, Easton Valley 49
Exira 69, Ar-We-Va 50
Dunkerton 61, Don Bosco 57
Algona Garrigan 71, St. Ed 53
Alburnett 71, Cal- Wheatland 64 (OT)

Last edited:
Some teams with impressive records bowing out tonight. Looks like a lot of good games.

Our boys got another solid win. Won by 17 against a battle tested and underrated St. Ed’s. We get Janesville Saturday. Anybody got an idea about Janesville? Haven’t seen them play this year

Amazingly, nothing I would really call an upset!
More Thursday scores:
Ankeny Christian 62, Earlham 39
Janesville 75, Rockford 47
Montezuma 61, BGM 49
Morman Trail 75, Bedford 45
CB St. Albert 56, East Mills 39
Remsen SM 60, L-Bronson 29
Ballard 47, Bondurant- Farrar 39
Clear Lake 53, Algona 49 A little close
Denison-Schleswig 47, Creston 43
Maquoketa 55, Central DeWitt 47
Oskaloosa 78, Washington 53
West Delaware 45, CPU 44
Winterset 55, Carroll 48

Reactions: FarmFam
Marion and Assumption prevail!
The Xavier transfer torches Wahlert for 27 last night as Marion moves on. Henricksen would have been a nice player for the Saints, they could have used him last night!

Reactions: Hawki45
Yes they scored 38. Bedford started fouling with 4 min to go. MT was 19-22 at the FT line in the 4th.

Xavier is also missing another regular who was hurt during the football season. I thought that Assumption was the better team in my predictions. Wahlert beat both of them in the regular season. Marion looks to be stronger than last year's state tourney team and, on their home court, knocked down 9 threes in the first half to take a big lead. Marion was also very rugged on the boards and got a lot of second-chance baskets with their offensive rebound dominance. Marion-Maquoketa is going to be a heckuva game, as this is the strongest Maquoketa team in decades. I'm going to reverse my prediction, though, and go with Marion over Maquoketa in the substate final at the US Cellular Center Monday evening. Depends a lot on how Maquoketa's 6-3 Abe Becker plays. A couple of weeks ago he broke the all-time three-point Iowa state high school record in a game when he knocked down 13 threes. That's pretty insane shooting. It's shaping up to be a great state tourney year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT