1) Newell-Fonda (22-2) vs 8) Bedford (17-7) - 11:30 am

2) Janesville (23-1) vs 7) Rockford (17-7) - 1:30 pm
3) Burlington-Notre Dame (21-3) vs 6) Adair-Casey (23-3) - 3:15 pm

Class 2A State Quarterfinals- Mon./*Tues., Mar. 3rd/*4th

2) Cascade, Western Dubuque (23-0) vs 7) Manson-Northwest Webster (20-4) - 5 pm
3) Hudson (23-1) vs 6) Woodbury Central (21-3) - 6:45 pm

4) North Linn (23-1) vs 5) South Central Calhoun (21-3) - 8:30 pm
1) Western Christian, Hull (24-1) vs 8) Des Moines Christian (20-4) - *10 am

According to BCmoore's rankings, you've got the following...

Class 1A State

5) Colo-Nesco (23-1) vs 11) Lynnville-Sully (21-3)
1) Newell-Fonda (22-2) vs 24) Bedford (17-7)

4) Janesville (23-1) vs 10) Rockford (17-7)
2) Burlington-Notre Dame (21-3) vs 17) Adair-Casey (23-3)

Looks like BC's rankings match up pretty well with the state's seedings. Looks like some pretty big spreads according to BC's rankings, with NF somewhere around 34 point favorites and B-ND around 18 points. The other two are 5 and 7 points spreads.

Class 2A State

5) Cascade, Western Dubuque (23-0) vs 4) Manson-Northwest Webster (20-4)
11) Hudson (23-1) vs 14) Woodbury Central (21-3)

8) North Linn (23-1) vs 10) South Central Calhoun (21-3)
1) Western Christian, Hull (24-1) vs 15) Des Moines Christian (20-4)
This sets up to have some really good games according to BC's rankings. You'd have MNW -.2 points, Hudson -1.5 points, and North Linn -1.1 points. Western would be favored by 13, and they'll be heavy favored vs. the field.

Of course BC's rankings and predictions aren't perfect, but interesting to see how they match up with the states seedings.

The Hickey girl for BND just scored her 1000 point Monday night and is a Junior.

Scores from Monday's 1A/2A State Quarterfinals:

Colo-Nesco 38, Lynnville-Sully 34
Newell-Fonda 73, Bedford 37
Janesville 58, Rockford 46
Burlington, Notre Dame 90, Adair-Casey 50

Cascade 43, Manson NW 21
Hudson 85, Woodbury Central 74
North Linn 56, South Central Calhoun 49

Score from Tuesday's 2A State Quarterfinal:

Western Christian 66, Des Moines Christian 53

This post was edited on 3/4 3:41 PM by DarkThunder#61

Scores from the 1A/2A State Semifinals:

Newell-Fonda 64, Colo-Nesco 34
Notre Dame, Burlington 65, Janesville 58

Hudson 45, Cascade, Western Dubuque 33
Western Christian 69, North Linn 52

Class 1A Championship-

Newell-Fonda (25-1) vs Notre Dame, Burlington (23-3)

Class 2A Championship-

Hudson (25-1) vs Western Christian, Hull (26-1)

Notre Dame had a great game plan, & added with some luck, pulled off a big upset.

Western dominated again.
Thought Thursday's semi against North Linn was a much tougher match-up than the final.

Western was ice-cold behind the arc, but Hudson would have needed a lot more help when they only play 6 players.
Jamie Gesink has a great nose for the basket & will probably lead them back to the Well next year.
Even more impressed with Western's PG, Pollema. Scrappy & great court sense, especially @ anticipating steals.

They've got to separate Poky Area & Western next year. The title was decided in Sheldon 2 Mondays ago.

Actually Western's first round game against Des Moines Christian was the closest margin in the tournament. DM Christian was down 58-50 in the 4th Q and missed 4 straight free throws. DM Christian, like Hudson, only played 6, so they were bound to tire out against Western's subs.

Quarterfinal: Western Christian 66, Des Moines Christian 53 (13 points)

Semifinal: Western Christian 69, North-Linn 52 (17 points)

Final: Western Christian 79, Hudson 55 (24 points)

http://www.ighsau.org/hoops/2014/2a4.htmEdit: Poky lost to SCC twice this year so I'm not so sure the title was decided in Sheldon two Monday's ago. SCC returns 4 starters next year.

This post was edited on 3/8 7:48 PM by NorthernHawkeye

To be fair Poky grew up alot over the last 10+ games of the season. Ruffridge really turned on in February. Anyone who watched them could see that. They beat Manson NW, St. Eds, and Newell fonda. And Id be willing to bet if you asked Western Christians coach who the best 2A team they played was he would say Poky. I know he had some big time things to say about Ruffridge. I dont think there was a better playing team outside of W.C. than Poky since the beginning of February. Its a shame they had to meet in regionals.

I'm not sure I would call the Notre Dame win luck. They outplayed N-F when the game got late, which is partly because of their depth of bench, and due to their conditioning. The BND girls made free throws under pressure, when everyone was tired at the end of the game, NF didn't. BND outrebounded NF, even though the size difference was in NF's favor. BND was still making the defensive plays when NF was getting sloppy late in the game. BND should have probably continued to hold the ball instead of trying to score when they were up 5 with a minute left. If they had this could have ended up a 10-12 point win with the extra free throws. Anyway excited for the Notre Dame girls and they will be tough again next year.

Originally posted by NorthernHawkeye:
Actually Western's first round game against Des Moines Christian was the closest margin in the tournament. DM Christian was down 58-50 in the 4th Q and missed 4 straight free throws. DM Christian, like Hudson, only played 6, so they were bound to tire out against Western's subs.
Quarterfinal: Western Christian 66, Des Moines Christian 53 (13 points)
Semifinal: Western Christian 69, North-Linn 52 (17 points)
Final: Western Christian 79, Hudson 55 (24 points)
Edit: Poky lost to SCC twice this year so I'm not so sure the title was decided in Sheldon two Monday's ago. SCC returns 4 starters next year.

This post was edited on 3/8 7:48 PM by NorthernHawkeye
Although the final score might have been closer, watching the games, I felt like North Linn had a better game plan/team for making a comeback. DMC & Hudson needed to slow the game down into the 30's/40's. & didn't.

Like everyone else, my opinion is just from what I've seen, heard/read about.

Great Great, Game for the championship. Newell-Fonda had opportunities to make free throws but did not. BND made the plays that needed to be made. BND coming back from a 12 point deficit to take a 7 point lead late in the 4th quarter only to see Newell-Fonda Tie it up to create a very dramatic finish. However, The one question I have about the game is with 12 seconds left of a tie game for the championship Maneman picked Kilbride's pocket and it was called a foul. The crazy thing about this game is that both teams pressed. Each team had a couple of great picks throughout the game with no foul call and an official who anticipated a foul blew the whistle. Their was no contact it was a swift swipe of a dribble.... a great play. A play that was negated by the foul call. That was a head scratcher. That would be a very difficult game to officiate as both teams absolutely just got after it. But it is too bad that an official who anticipated a foul botched this play at such a critical moment. Check out the game for yourself if you DVR'd An awesome, awesome play by Maneman. Anyways great season for both teams! Couldn't of asked for a more entertaining game.

Originally posted by VanderHoops:

Notre Dame had a great game plan, & added with some luck, pulled off a big upset.

Western dominated again.
Thought Thursday's semi against North Linn was a much tougher match-up than the final.

Western was ice-cold behind the arc, but Hudson would have needed a lot more help when they only play 6 players.
Jamie Gesink has a great nose for the basket & will probably lead them back to the Well next year.
Even more impressed with Western's PG, Pollema. Scrappy & great court sense, especially @ anticipating steals.

They've got to separate Poky Area & Western next year. The title was decided in Sheldon 2 Mondays ago.
Granted, I've not seen a ton of girls basketball the last few years, but Pollema is the best point guard I've ever seen in person at the high school level. I couldn't believe the passes she made look routine, and she made some plays for herself that were very impressive, as well. Pulling a slick behind the back dribble in traffic and coming right out of that to finish at the rim is something I've seen very few players pull off. She didn't have great scoring numbers, but that play in particular made it pretty clear that it wasn't because she couldn't score. She just chooses not to in favor of setting up teammates.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT