PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
I'm asking this to every board, mine in 2A in order

1. NFV
2. Mount Vernon
3. BHRV
4. Dike New Hartford

Have you seen BHRV play? I live on the E side of Iowa and see that they have had a great year. Anything you can tell us about them?

I have not seen BHRV play in person, and I also don't consider them a big favorite necessarily. BHRV, NFV, and MV all have about an equal chance to win the title IMO, with Union, PCM, and DNH also in the mix.

I see a few people mentioned Dike - curious about what is driving that pick. They have historically been a strong 1A team and have had a good season this year in 2A, but I'm not seeing any notable wins or dominance. Anything you would share about that team that drove them as a final 4 pick?

I see a few people mentioned Dike - curious about what is driving that pick. They have historically been a strong 1A team and have had a good season this year in 2A, but I'm not seeing any notable wins or dominance. Anything you would share about that team that drove them as a final 4 pick?
I put them because they are historically good in the playoffs. Then I wondered why you didn't like them and researched and saw they were in the same conference as your team. My question is, why don't you like them since they beat Union in every sport that you played against them last year. Not sure about wrestling, but every thing else they owned Union.

I put them because they are historically good in the playoffs. Then I wondered why you didn't like them and researched and saw they were in the same conference as your team. My question is, why don't you like them since they best Union in every sport that you played against them last year. Not sure about wrestling, but every thing else they owned Union.

You seem a bit insecure in response to an innocent question. I complimented their historic football playoff experience and simply asked for input from those who picked them to reach the final four. Facts and an adult conversation would be appreciated.

In the regard to the other sports you "unrelatedly" introduced into this conversation:
-Football: No recent match-ups
-Wrestling: Union
-Volleyball: Union, 2016 District Champs
-Basketball: Dike for Boys, Union for Girls
-Other sports: I'll take your word for it as I don't follow them.

Seriously - no ill intent with the original question, just asking to hear perspectives from others.

Reactions: jen44
I put them because they are historically good in the playoffs. Then I wondered why you didn't like them and researched and saw they were in the same conference as your team. My question is, why don't you like them since they beat Union in every sport that you played against them last year. Not sure about wrestling, but every thing else they owned Union.
Actually just found they also won the conference wrestling tournament too. So that was a clean sweep over Union. Why again don't you think they will do well in the playoffs?

You seem a bit insecure in response to an innocent question. I complimented their historic football playoff experience and simply asked for input from those who picked them to reach the final four. Facts and an adult conversation would be appreciated.

In the regard to the other sports you "unrelatedly" introduced into this conversation:
-Football: No recent match-ups
-Wrestling: Union
-Volleyball: Union, 2016 District Champs
-Basketball: Dike for Boys, Union for Girls
-Other sports: I'll take your word for it as I don't follow them.

Seriously - no ill intent with the original question, just asking to hear perspectives from others.
Girls sports???? What are you comparing? I watched Dike beat West Branch a couple of years ago in the Little Rose Bowl and have followed them since. I have no dog in the fight just find it funny that a 4 win team a year ago has so much confidence.

Actually just found they also won the conference wrestling tournament too. So that was a clean sweep over Union. Why again don't you think they will do well in the playoffs?

I never said I don't think they will do "well", I just didn't pick them to make the final 4 and stated that reason above. Why do you think they would make it beyond historic performance before the 2016 season?

Again, I encourage you to be less insecure and engage in an adult conversation.

Dike has two losses to two smaller class teams, but those teams are a combined 16-0, they are always fundamentally sound, and have the best back in 2A. Beyond that I see them being sent west so that will benefit their ability to make a deep run, and the deeper you get that is when anything can happen.

Reactions: UnionFootballFan
Dike has two losses to two smaller class teams, but those teams are a combined 16-0, they are always fundamentally sound, and have the best back in 2A. Beyond that I see them being sent west so that will benefit their ability to make a deep run, and the deeper you get that is when anything can happen.
Valid reasoning, thank you!

Not sure where you are going with your "insecure" comment. If you are trying to confuse me, well played. But, if you are looking for specifics, Running Back, Defense, History in the playoffs.

Not sure where you are going with your "insecure" comment. If you are trying to confuse me, well played. But, if you are looking for specifics, Running Back, Defense, History in the playoffs.

The insecure part was because you took a completely benign post that attempted to learn about Dike and felt the need to attack a school.

I'm still not convinced Dike is a final 4 team based on the information provided, but they do have a strong history on their side. Good luck to you and them in the playoffs (unless they play Union, of course).

Great prediction here. Dike going West gave them an easier path to the Dome and they would have to be a Dome pick for me after seeing the brackets today.

Great prediction here. Dike going West gave them an easier path to the Dome and they would have to be a Dome pick for me after seeing the brackets today.
Can't believe how stacked the top half of the blue side was. I think 3 of the 4 teams in this part could beat DNH, who will likely play in the dome.

1. Mt. Vernon - Am I crazy or wasn't MV runner up last year w/ the nucleus of their team back?
2. NFV - Also returned a lot from a semi-final team; should be a great semi-final game this year
3. BH-RV - Just b/c I think they are the best team on the west side (aka "Easy Road to the Dome")
4. Field - I don't think anybody else legitimately has a chance

Another interesting thought: Last year, the state separated NFV/Mt Vernon from playing until the finals, as NFV played Spirit Lake and Mt Vernon played Albia. Why is it different this year? Shouldn't NFV be playing BHRV or Kuemper, while Mt Vernon should play most likely DNH? It does not make sense to me on how the matchups based on geography change every year.

Reactions: walkingstick24
Another interesting thought: Last year, the state separated NFV/Mt Vernon from playing until the finals, as NFV played Spirit Lake and Mt Vernon played Albia. Why is it different this year? Shouldn't NFV be playing BHRV or Kuemper, while Mt Vernon should play most likely DNH? It does not make sense to me on how the matchups based on geography change every year.

Exactly! Especially since geography doesn't matter once you get to the Semis the State could've easily switched the NFV pod with the PCM pod to try to get the #1 vs. #2 matchup in the Championship.

Unfortunately, the State stuck to it's geography groupings and I think Centerville spoiled the party. With them nowhere near a #1 seed besides PCM, the State was compelled to move MV (the next closest #1) to the Southeast pod putting NFV in the Northeast pod ensuring they wouldn't meet in the Championship.

2A is so spread out it makes it difficult to get different matchups w/out huge travel times. If Waukon would've gotten in, we could've had some interesting brackets/matchups and separated district teams a little bit better.

B-H/RV
SCC
Kuemper
CL/GLR

NFV
SEV
D-NH
New Hampton

MV
Waukon
Cresco
Union

PCM
Roland Story
Williamsburg
Central Lee

I am in no way saying Dike New Hartford is better than NFV or MV, but I also think you guys are greatly underestimating them, they had two tough non district losses, to two undefeated teams, who yes are from lower classes, but I would guess would be highly successful in 2A. They have a back that right now has a great shot to break the all time rushing record, and are one of the most fundamentally sound teams year in and year out in the state. Right now I would pick NFV or MV to win the title, but to say that Dike doesn't deserve to be at the dome if they get there is absurd.

Exactly! Especially since geography doesn't matter once you get to the Semis the State could've easily switched the NFV pod with the PCM pod to try to get the #1 vs. #2 matchup in the Championship.

Unfortunately, the State stuck to it's geography groupings and I think Centerville spoiled the party. With them nowhere near a #1 seed besides PCM, the State was compelled to move MV (the next closest #1) to the Southeast pod putting NFV in the Northeast pod ensuring they wouldn't meet in the Championship.

2A is so spread out it makes it difficult to get different matchups w/out huge travel times. If Waukon would've gotten in, we could've had some interesting brackets/matchups and separated district teams a little bit better.

B-H/RV
SCC
Kuemper
CL/GLR

NFV
SEV
D-NH
New Hampton

MV
Waukon
Cresco
Union

PCM
Roland Story
Williamsburg
Central Lee

Or is that the state is trying to get the #1 vs #2 game in the championship?! I know that BHRV is #3 in the polls, but check BCmoore rankings. If the state was going to use any rankings to separate teams and get the best to play the best- use that ranking. It is usually pretty accurate and takes more into affect than what the scores are and what your record is.

IMO the two teams that have a legit shot to win the title are

BHRV and NFV in no particular order.

I am in no way saying Dike New Hartford is better than NFV or MV, but I also think you guys are greatly underestimating them, they had two tough non district losses, to two undefeated teams, who yes are from lower classes, but I would guess would be highly successful in 2A. They have a back that right now has a great shot to break the all time rushing record, and are one of the most fundamentally sound teams year in and year out in the state. Right now I would pick NFV or MV to win the title, but to say that Dike doesn't deserve to be at the dome if they get there is absurd.
I can't say I agree with you. They lost both non-district games, though it was to two unbeaten teams, they were still Class A. They play in a very weak district, thus haven't been challenged in the last 7 weeks. Do I think they are a top 8 team in 2A? Yes. Do I think they could beat Union or New Hampton? No. They're basically getting a free walk to the dome, as their toughest competition will be PCM, who plays in an even weaker district.

I don't think New Hampton would beat Dike, the district that New Hampton and Crestwood came out of was very similar to the one that Dike came out of, as for Union, they had two 3A wins for non district, but both of those were poor 3A teams, I know Marion got better as the season went on, but they weren't there in week 1. Union played many of the teams in DNH's district last year, with similar results except for AP who was way down.

Or is that the state is trying to get the #1 vs #2 game in the championship?! I know that BHRV is #3 in the polls, but check BCmoore rankings. If the state was going to use any rankings to separate teams and get the best to play the best- use that ranking. It is usually pretty accurate and takes more into affect than what the scores are and what your record is.

IMO the two teams that have a legit shot to win the title are

BHRV and NFV in no particular order.

My bad, you could be right. I honestly hadn't checked the BC rankings and assumed Mt. Vernon would be at the top having scored about 60 points every game and not being challenged since Week 1 against Solon.

That said, I wonder if the weaker district they are in this year will leave them less prepared for the playoffs than last year...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT