ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier's Vega to Illinois State ... Sorta

KidSilverhair

Varsity
Aug 31, 2008
www.thirdandamile.blogspot.com
Xavier defensive lineman Daniel Vega has verbally committed to play football at FCS program Illinois State, but he's leaving himself an out. Should he get an offer from an FBS program before signing day, he would take that instead.

Vega had an outstanding year at defensive tackle for the Saints after playing linebacker as a junior. He also played some fullback and tight end on short yardage situations. I know Iowa State was looking at him, and I think Iowa had some interest, too.

http://iowaprepsports.com/2013/12/12/vega-its-illinois-state-for-now/#axzz2nN66GWBp

And today comes word that Vega has received an FBS offer, from Wyoming. He has switched his verbal commitment to the Cowboys, which means he and Xavier offensive tackle Cole Turner will continue as teammates in college.

AND

No longer going to Wyoming.

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/freshman-dt-daniel-vega-leaves-wyoming-football-program/article_0f6361b8-4cad-5367-bf1d-d5a452edb9e7.html

Freshman defensive tackle Daniel Vega has left the Wyoming football program, UW confirmed Friday.
The 6-foot-4, 260-pound defensive lineman has returned home to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, according to UW team spokesman Tim Harkins. He is currently considering whether he wants to continue playing football. If he does, he'll likely choose somewhere closer to home.
Vega was ranked as a two-star prospect by Rivals and was also listed as the No. 10 preps player in the state of Iowa for the class of 2014. Besides Wyoming, he also had offers from Illinois State, North Dakota, North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, South Dakota, South Dakota State and Western Illinois.Come on UNI

This post was edited on 7/11 3:23 PM by clenz213

Clenz,
I don't know what kind of defense Vega played at Xavier, but he sounds like he is suited to defensive end in a 4-3. But so many college teams have adopted the 3-4, I guess he would be DT in that alignment. I couldn't tell you what UNI's defense lines up in these days.

Daniel Vega played linebacker as a junior, often pressuring at the line, and defensive tackle as a senior. Penetration based pursuit of the ball was his strong suit in either role. I hope it all turns out well for him.

Originally posted by tnobd:
Clenz,
I don't know what kind of defense Vega played at Xavier, but he sounds like he is suited to defensive end in a 4-3. But so many college teams have adopted the 3-4, I guess he would be DT in that alignment. I couldn't tell you what UNI's defense lines up in these days.
The last couple seasons UNI has run a 3-4/4-3/4-4/3-5 hybrid.

UNI has had some dominating DT's the last 6-10 years and depending if there is strong depth there or not determines if it is a 3 or 4 man front with it being a 3 or 4 LB set with a monster from the SS spot.

UNI's done well with rush ends, if they are willing to redshirt and sit for a year or two. Last season Collin Albrecht, from Cedar Falls, become an All Conference player as a RS Sr after having not played much his first 3 years with 8 sacks and 13.5 TFL. UNI had 12 guys record sacks last season. Getting after the QB happens at UNI.

Yeah, I think UNI was +6 last season forcing 22 but giving up 17. The fumble issue needs to be taken care of somehow, UNI lost 8 of the 10 fumbles

The INT's were an issue but not really for the starter. He threw 5 in 250 pass attempts. The back up, who played 4 games due to a concussion to the starter threw 4 in 80 passes.

Northern Iowa is going to be stout this year if they stay healthy. And considering what they have coming back, they should start the season ranked no lower than #3 or #4. Eastern Washington will almost assuredly be #1. But UNI is gonna be in that mix between themselves, North Dakota State, Jacksonville State, Southeastern Louisiana and maybe New Hampshire.

The defense looks jacked with Xavier Williams at D-tackle and Jake Farley back from injury at Linebacker. If the offense can keep Sawyer Kollmorgen clean and David Johnson can get at least a little rest from the rest of their deep group of running backs, the Panthers have a legitimate shot at winning the FCS National Championship.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT