ADVERTISEMENT

WL

janklow

Freshman
Oct 4, 2007
I think West Lyon just scored again. BGM was not very good . Congrats to Algona Garrigan, second best team in Class A. Great job West Lyon.

Aww that's cute, you tried to make a funny. Here is something you posted.

My optimism is gone, I still don't think West Lyon is
five possessions better than BGM though. I think Kline going down really
messed with the heads of BGM and I know West Lyon still wins this game
with Kline in the game but it is certainly closer. I definitely feel for
Kline, very nice kid.

Actually West Lyon was six scores better and BGM was lucky that West Lyon pulled off the dogs. Kline in or out makes no difference as West Lyon dominated the line. Do you get that son? Physcial, sound football. Beat them up. They had no answer. None. I understand you are disappointed but BGM was not ready for what West Lyon brought. So i guess the telegraph operator from Lyon county gets to say West Lyon just got championship number 4 and it was easy. Hee hee hee. So laughs the hillybilly. By the way, BGM not accepting the trophy was terrible. Even the telegraph operator understands that.

I didn't post that. Look again. This only makes my original post funnier. When the telegraph office reads the posts on Iowa Preps does he do it in public or do they send a messenger to your house? Hopefully if it's public you won't be to embarrassed. Also, you might tip him when he puts up the response to proof read and make sure you don't make a foolish post next time.

You are correct, I mistook you for another poster. That does make your original post even more amusing. Doggone telegraph operator needs to do a better job. Enjoy your off season, we will try to enjoy ours in Lyon county.
party0005.r191677.gif

I keep thinking to myself if WL beats BGM by 42, how bad are the teams BGM beat by by 60?

Southeastern Iowa football must be weak to say the least.

Regardless, congrats to both WL and BGM.

Jeez, USF, your subtle digs are normally not so obvious and usually wrapped in a much more effective compliment.

Since the title game it appears that most of the WL fans on this site have experienced a transformation into Wapsie fans. I am full of disappoint.

It appears to me it's not a West Lyon thing. It appears to me it's most of the state vs. BGM. Up here in the great Northwest we don't beat teams by 70 and 80 points. You don't see one guy with 49 TD's either. Why? Because the great programs up here: Boyden Hull/RV, CLGLR, West Lyon, Sioux Center, Spirit Lake don't do what BGM did to people. It's called respect your opponent. So when they got it handed to them by West Lyon the rest of the state chimes in. The old saying, "you get what you deserve". BGM couldn't function without #4 because they weren't prepared to play without him. I'll bet you West Lyon loses Feuchenberg, Heyer, Snyder, or Groenweg to an injury they still win by 40. Why? Because they get up by 35 and they play other guys which creates depth and throws bones to kids that will be in the mix the next year. And I didn't believe what I saw when the team didn't accept the runner-up trophy. I guess your players are only acting as they have been taught.

It appears to me that WL fans aren't completely satisfied with the win and need even more validation that their team was not only dominant, but also the good guy in some sort of black vs. white showdown.

Nobody on this board could or should argue the talent of the WL football team. I'd even say that it's a fair statement that NW Iowa football at the class A level is better than the other 3 regions. BUT, I think this year you could easily that that SE Iowa was closer to the NW corner than SW or NE Iowa.

The only people that have been on BGM's case around here all season are a handful of "local" posters from the SICL area and the Wapsie and WL people. The running up the score arguments have all started with USF and taken on their own identity from there. I personally saw a handful of BGM games this fall and to state that they didn't use their JV in blowouts is just plain ridiculous. It's the kind of argument people use when they are trying to validate themselves like I said above.

I still cannot believe the Pleasantville game. Top two backs get 38 of the 39 carries and win 70-7. Explain that??

I wasn't there, and I'm not here trying to make amends for some conceived slight the WL fan base has built up in their minds. Perhaps you could read back through the boards and find all the Pleasantville fans that were upset with the game??

This keeps coming back around to WL fans needing more validation that their team was good and doing something bigger or more life altering than playing football.

I don't like West Lyon they stomped us 2 times this year. That being said they sure didn't have 2 backs do all the work. I can also say that not going to get your runner up trophy is a joke instead of question the running up the scores by BGM we should question where their character and sportsmanship is when they got the score run up on them. Bunch of cry babies.

Not from West Lyon, but look at enough of NW Ia Review to know that their starters rarely if ever play after a 28-35 pt margin, much like the rest of NW IA. I was at the Woodbury WL game and I know without question it could have been 77-0. Actually in looking at the BGM bashers very few are from WL. A few Wapsie, but looks like the rest are all over the state. BGM isn't the only team that does this. They just happen to be in a title game in which their opponent could have scored 60-70 and chose not to.

Originally posted by SICLWatcher:

It appears to me that WL fans aren't completely satisfied with the win and need even more validation that their team was not only dominant, but also the good guy in some sort of black vs. white showdown.

Nobody on this board could or should argue the talent of the WL football team. I'd even say that it's a fair statement that NW Iowa football at the class A level is better than the other 3 regions. BUT, I think this year you could easily that that SE Iowa was closer to the NW corner than SW or NE Iowa.

The only people that have been on BGM's case around here all season are a handful of "local" posters from the SICL area and the Wapsie and WL people. The running up the score arguments have all started with USF and taken on their own identity from there. I personally saw a handful of BGM games this fall and to state that they didn't use their JV in blowouts is just plain ridiculous. It's the kind of argument people use when they are trying to validate themselves like I said above.
Why does WL need to validate themselves? Seems the scoreboard did that. What more do you need. Yeah, BGM played their JV either late in the third or early in the fourth. But not until then. Why would they not sub in some JV with some varsity in the first half in obvious blowouts? Maybe attempt to prevent the running clock. A lot of great coaches try to do just that. Maybe, maybe they could have learned to play without one of their studs. Instead they chose inflated stats. Isn't the running clock supposed to be a deterrent as much as a mercy rule? Thought coaches wanted to be able to manage games and not stop games after 50. Might as well bring back the 50 mercy rule. But, hey, at least BGM has a national record in football and baseball. Not that anyone outside of Brooklyn cares. Impressive!

Both rocket98 and long may u run speak the truth. And for my 2 cents like i said in a earlier post when we were still in playoffs 2nd round i think.. what goes around comes around. Bgm got theres. And yes if west lyon had not called off the dogs there could have been 60+ put on bgm. And it was pretty sad to see them not accepting there trophy...didnt quite understand that one.

Originally posted by usfhawk:
I keep thinking to myself if WL beats BGM by 42, how bad are the teams BGM beat by by 60?

Southeastern Iowa football must be weak to say the least.

Regardless, congrats to both WL and BGM.
The teams are pretty horrible, you would be surprised. Reminds me of when Lisbon had troubles keeping scores down in 2011 when they absolutely throttled opponents and things were really out of their control. District 6 had some tough teams in it but outside of BGM, Lynnville-Sully, Montezuma and Pekin there was a HUGE drop off.

Agreed. I was at those Lisbon games and when a team's JV squad is breaking off 60 yd runs for scores against the opposing teams varsity, there's really nothing you can to make the score appear that you're not blowing them out besides kneeling for 3 downs and punting. I wasn't at any BGM games this past year, but I assume that no coach in the state really means to run the score up.

Originally posted by IAhawkguy:
Agreed. I was at those Lisbon games and when a team's JV squad is breaking off 60 yd runs for scores against the opposing teams varsity, there's really nothing you can to make the score appear that you're not blowing them out besides kneeling for 3 downs and punting. I wasn't at any BGM games this past year, but I assume that no coach in the state really means to run the score up.
If that truly is the case then the 50 point mercy rule should be reinstated. But the coaches hated it because they claimed they could manage the game on their own and the 50 point rule prevented that from happening. And the schools hated it because games would be over in the first half and they lost concession money. Therefore we have the running clock and all the scoring takes place in the first half by the varsity. They get their stats and THEN maybe the JV will go in. Look, nobody dies from a butt kicking and some coaches can manage the game. Some can't. Some don't even try. To say no coach likes to run up the score.....not exactly accurate. When it is 49-0 in the third and you still have your number one unit in against the others teams JV...what would you call that? But the running clock has in many instances made the game a farce. You pound a team for a half with your starters and then let the clock run. If it's 50-0 at half, what gets accomplished in the second half? Maybe selling a few more concessions? Neither team gets much quality play in 24 min continuous clock.

Unfortunately, I don't know what the solution to this is. The only thing "positive" thing I can see from being up big at half is letting younger players get experience, but that's a coaches call, and it does seem that in some cases that doesn't happen as much as I'd like to think. I remember reading in another thread some time ago that injuries to younger players become a concern when the more developed upperclassmen get frustrated that they're losing by a large margin. I would hope that there are coaches out there that understand that beating a team by 100 points proves nothing. And like you said, it accomplishes nothing to keep starting players in.. It's too bad that some teams are put in the position of beating a team badly at half, especially when it happens week after week. I've also heard some say "If you don't like it, stop it".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT