ADVERTISEMENT

Williamsburg vs District

May 8, 2013
Can anyone beat Williamsburg in District 5? Who will give them the biggest challenge?
This Friday could be a test against a top 20 team WBND. WBND has to have the best athletes in the state and should give them a tough game.
After WBND who else has a chance to knock them off.

I definitely think WBND has a great opportunity to give W-Burg all they can handle, and then some. WBND returns speedsters, Jacob Smith & Isaiah Trousil, (as well as 3 other starters) after sitting last week due to minor injuries. This is a huge game in District 5 and should tell the story for the remainder of the season. My honest opinion is that the winner of this game will win-out in the district. Central Lee is tough and MP caught WBND on a night with weather not conducive to their style of play, not to mention 5 starters out. Also, dont sleep on Mepo... They still have a good team down there! May be the best team prevail this week. If WBND can play physical and as a TEAM and make the big plays, 'i believe' they can win. My gut is WBND pulls out a shocker and runs the table in district 5. Thoughts?

I don't see WBND being a threat as their line play is not strong. No question about athleticism of some of their players, but they have to get around a corner or over the top to be effective. A significant rush will undo them. On defense they flow well to the ball but again a power run game will have affect.

I don't think anyone from the district will get to the dome, but I'll take Williamsburg to win the district and make it to the quarters.

Central Lee is a good one dementionable team. If you can stop Ethan and Ben you got a real good chance of beating them.

Unfortunately, right now Mepo isn't a playoff team. Hopefully they prove me wrong, but they've got a lot of clean up work to do. Right now I'd say Williamsburg, Mid-Prairie, West Burlington and Central Lee.

I definitely think WBND has a great opportunity to give W-Burg all they can handle, and then some. WBND returns speedsters, Jacob Smith & Isaiah Trousil, (as well as 3 other starters) after sitting last week due to minor injuries. This is a huge game in District 5 and should tell the story for the remainder of the season. My honest opinion is that the winner of this game will win-out in the district. Central Lee is tough and MP caught WBND on a night with weather not conducive to their style of play, not to mention 5 starters out. Also, dont sleep on Mepo... They still have a good team down there! May be the best team prevail this week. If WBND can play physical and as a TEAM and make the big plays, 'i believe' they can win. My gut is WBND pulls out a shocker and runs the table in district 5. Thoughts?
That does explain why the game was so lopsided. Take out 2 athletes like Smith and Trowsil and now the score of that Mid-Prairie game makes more sense. They return this week so I would expect a good game. With Smith, Trowsil, Ferguson and Williams they should score 30-40 pts most games.

That game just showed that WBND aren't mudders. But when you can't run and can't pass you get your butt kicked.

WBND looked terrible and Williamsburg handled them easily. I definitely think Trousil needs to rest and recover. He is still limping significantly. I would hate to see him fight injuries the rest of the season and then struggle in track.

I'm thinking now that Williamsburg will win the district without being tested. Head and shoulders above anyone else in the district. Not sure of any details on what happened in the game but the score looked impressive. I assume WB had kids still hurt and should be able to rebound once everyone is back.

14-0 after first qtr. 42-6 at half. Trousil was only athlete obviously injured. WBND was not in this game at any point. No excuses please. They just got man handled all over the field.

A lot of people looking past Mid Prairie in here. This is the best MP team I have seen including the Tanner Miller teams. The defense is very good and they have playmakers on offense.

Williamsburg is at MP next week.

WBND was in last nites game right up to the kick off. And that was it. Lites out after that. Couldn't understand why they kept first stringers in when it was obvious they was out of the game at halftime. Should of let the freshman QB get some game time. He didn't look bad in first game. It wouldn't of hurt.

A lot of people looking past Mid Prairie in here. This is the best MP team I have seen including the Tanner Miller teams. The defense is very good and they have playmakers on offense.

Williamsburg is at MP next week.
Wow that's a bold statement the only thing that got in the way of them Mid Prairie teams was a pretty good Solon outfit.
This MP team should be in good shape to make a championship run then.

Wow that's a bold statement the only thing that got in the way of them Mid Prairie teams was a pretty good Solon outfit.
This MP team should be in good shape to make a championship run then.

IMO The line play on both sides is the difference from those teams, especially DL. Levi Duwa is a future D1 guy at DE/TE and the rest of them are no slouches. They are also getting good RB and Safety play which somewhat mitigates the Tanner Miller effect in the comparison.

I should point out that they got smoked by Solon back then, those Solon teams were incredible. I don't think I'm saying that much and I'm not guaranteeing a win Friday night. What I will say is that MP has a very good defense, the best I've seen them have, and a solid offense with playmakers at several positions.

Williamsburg and MP have played a bunch of tough games over the years, neither team will be overlooking this game. Williamsburg will need to play very well to beat them.

IMO The line play on both sides is the difference from those teams, especially DL. Levi Duwa is a future D1 guy at DE/TE and the rest of them are no slouches. They are also getting good RB and Safety play which somewhat mitigates the Tanner Miller effect in the comparison.

I should point out that they got smoked by Solon back then, those Solon teams were incredible. I don't think I'm saying that much and I'm not guaranteeing a win Friday night. What I will say is that MP has a very good defense, the best I've seen them have, and a solid offense with playmakers at several positions.

Williamsburg and MP have played a bunch of tough games over the years, neither team will be overlooking this game. Williamsburg will need to play very well to beat them.
Mid Praire has a nice team this year. However I will say that this group doesn't appear to be the best in the past 6-7 years. There has been some real good MP teams!! They have a real good defense. Not sure they have the big play capability as years past on the offensive side so they might have to grind it out and play mistake free. Should be a good one!

Mid Praire has a nice team this year. However I will say that this group doesn't appear to be the best in the past 6-7 years. There has been some real good MP teams!! They have a real good defense. Not sure they have the big play capability as years past on the offensive side so they might have to grind it out and play mistake free. Should be a good one!

Frankly your previous posts in this thread make me not take anything you say seriously. Football is more than skill positions, a fact you clearly are unable to grasp.

You were calling for WBND to win the district and they got completely owned up front by MP and Williamsburg. If WBND had anything better than a terrible line, they would have managed more than 35 yards against MP, even with starting skill guys missing. That is just embarrassing. They also lost at home to a 1A team not named Regina.

As to MP not having big play guys, good luck with that.

Frankly your previous posts in this thread make me not take anything you say seriously. Football is more than skill positions, a fact you clearly are unable to grasp.

You were calling for WBND to win the district and they got completely owned up front by MP and Williamsburg. If WBND had anything better than a terrible line, they would have managed more than 35 yards against MP, even with starting skill guys missing. That is just embarrassing. They also lost at home to a 1A team not named Regina.

I was very respectful in my post towards Mid Praire and every other team I may mention. I think we should watch our tone towards teams and try to be respectful and still be able to make our point. Mid Praire has a great team with a great coach. I'm just not sold yet they are the best team they have ever had. It is more of a complement to the tradition of Mid Prairie than a negative comment on this team. If they beat Williamsburg (and they might) who also has a great coach I might change my mind. Good luck to Mid-Praire the rest of the year. I hope they go deep into playoffs. They have a classy coach.

Last edited:

I really don't follow either team that close any more but are you saying this is one of the top wburg teams they have had in years?

I really don't follow either team that close any more but are you saying this is one of the top wburg teams they have had in years?
No I think you misunderstood. The Bicep guy said that this is the best Mid-Praire Team. I think some people (myself included) thought West Burlington would give Mid-Praire and Williamsburg a better game. They did not.

No I think you misunderstood. The Bicep guy said that this is the best Mid-Praire Team. I think some people (myself included) thought West Burlington would give Mid-Praire and Williamsburg a better game. They did not.
I was asking the bicep guy.
Because if MP is that good and they may be I have know clue they will take WBurg to the woodshed because this isn't even close to one of wburg best teams.I think the teams Miller and company played against were pretty good and the games were very even I think.To lazy to look.

This game may depend on who is the healthiest. Although my gut feeling is Williamsburg looks like they have a balanced offense according to quick stats. That will be tough to defend. Mid Praire Defense will be put to the test. MP Defense has been solid all year. I think I just might make the trip. Has to be the best game around.

I was asking the bicep guy.
Because if MP is that good and they may be I have know clue they will take WBurg to the woodshed because this isn't even close to one of wburg best teams.I think the teams Miller and company played against were pretty good and the games were very even I think.To lazy to look.

Fair warning, I have not seen Williamsburg this year, but I assume I will see a good football team on Friday because they are always a tough, well-coached team.

My point about how good this MP team is compared to the Tanner Miller teams is a personal opinion and sane people could differ. I could be wrong. My reasoning is that I don't think the Tanner Miller teams had as good of line play as this team. Because of the strong foundation on the line, I think that this team is more suited to win tough, physical games against equal or better competition.

The post quoted below is the one I had a beef with. MP is going to physically test Williamsburg and has a very good chance to win the game. Pointing to the WBND result and claiming that Williamsburg will now roll the district untested is ludicrous. BC Moore has 4 D5 teams rated ahead of WBND and they have been in the 20s or 30s the entire year. Their rankings in the human polls earlier in the year were primarily based on their track & field results from what I can tell.
I'm thinking now that Williamsburg will win the district without being tested. Head and shoulders above anyone else in the district. Not sure of any details on what happened in the game but the score looked impressive. I assume WB had kids still hurt and should be able to rebound once everyone is back.

Fair warning, I have not seen Williamsburg this year, but I assume I will see a good football team on Friday because they are always a tough, well-coached team.

My point about how good this MP team is compared to the Tanner Miller teams is a personal opinion and sane people could differ. I could be wrong. My reasoning is that I don't think the Tanner Miller teams had as good of line play as this team. Because of the strong foundation on the line, I think that this team is more suited to win tough, physical games against equal or better competition.

The post quoted below is the one I had a beef with. MP is going to physically test Williamsburg and has a very good chance to win the game. Pointing to the WBND result and claiming that Williamsburg will now roll the district untested is ludicrous. BC Moore has 4 D5 teams rated ahead of WBND and they have been in the 20s or 30s the entire year. Their rankings in the human polls earlier in the year were primarily based on their track & field results from what I can tell.

Those are some very good points Bicep Guy. After looking at the quote It was not accurate to say they won't be tested. Mid Praire will give them a good game. Coach will have a good game plan and the Defense is pretty stout. I'm looking forward to it. I"m might make the road trip.

Last edited:

It's all good I understand your excitement for Mid P. football.
It should be a very good game that's for sure.
It's to bad MP and Washington didn't play this year that's always a great game to watch.

With all due respect,WHS will back down from MPs physical play. WHS went to the spread and aren't quite there. Finesse fits this team's athletes, but you have to run the ball to win games. MPs offseason hard work will pay off!

MP 38-WHS 10

With all due respect,WHS will back down from MPs physical play. WHS went to the spread and aren't quite there. Finesse fits this team's athletes, but you have to run the ball to win games. MPs offseason hard work will pay off!

MP 38-WHS 10
S

I have seen them both play and Williamsburg can run the ball. They both good teams to me it would be a toss up. Would go with home team.

I understand everybody is predicting and usually shocking predictions are a little sexier, but there is no way you can look at this and predict a MP win unless you are just being an optimistic MP fan. You have one team with more tradition, has been in 3A of late and may be back in 3A next year, lost only once and was 3 points from the Dome last year, beat MP by 17 points last year (and wasn't even that close if memory serves), has beat common opponents this year by a greater margin, and is playing at home. One of these factors by itself wouldn't be decisive, but throw them all together and you honestly can't think the upset is in store.

Sorry for the lame analysis...

I understand everybody is predicting and usually shocking predictions are a little sexier, but there is no way you can look at this and predict a MP win unless you are just being an optimistic MP fan. You have one team with more tradition, has been in 3A of late and may be back in 3A next year, lost only once and was 3 points from the Dome last year, beat MP by 17 points last year (and wasn't even that close if memory serves), has beat common opponents this year by a greater margin, and is playing at home. One of these factors by itself wouldn't be decisive, but throw them all together and you honestly can't think the upset is in store.

W-burg this year
Pass att. 142 -1009 yds
Rushing Att.175-1102yds

Great points Round, the thing is, those 3A WHS teams had outstanding players and MP still beat them (09). The fact of the matter is that MP was winning at halftime last year and got some tough breaks (penalties).

WHS graduated that whole quarter final team, MP has all kinds of guys back and it's at one of the great Eastern Iowa venues.

MP will have no less than 250 yards rushing. Duwa is a beast!

These are rivals who have been playing close games for years, even when Williamsburg was in 3A. Also, MP was pretty terrible on the whole last year, they don't even resemble the same team this year. MP is playing at home and they have every opportunity to win the game.

I'm with the guy who said tossup.

With all due respect TonyD, I agree with some of what you say.
Levi Duwa is the heart and soul of this team, especially on defense. With his size and physical play I don't see WHS getting any positive plays on his side of the defense. He's shut down all opponents so far, and seems to be the leader on defense.
MP has enough athletic ability to contain WHS speed on the edges, as it seems they are more of a "track fast" team.
The WHS defense hasn't been smothering so far this year, so I think the ground game of MP will expose a few holes. The WHS game I attended this year, the linebackers seemed a step slow and missed quite a few tackles (although they chest pounded and celebrated every tackle they did make). MP running backs have been impressive so far, so look for them to have a solid game.
I don't think it'll be a blowout like Tony predicted, but MP wins this game by 2 touchdowns.

With all due respect TonyD, I agree with some of what you say.
Levi Duwa is the heart and soul of this team, especially on defense. With his size and physical play I don't see WHS getting any positive plays on his side of the defense. He's shut down all opponents so far, and seems to be the leader on defense.
MP has enough athletic ability to contain WHS speed on the edges, as it seems they are more of a "track fast" team.
The WHS defense hasn't been smothering so far this year, so I think the ground game of MP will expose a few holes. The WHS game I attended this year, the linebackers seemed a step slow and missed quite a few tackles (although they chest pounded and celebrated every tackle they did make). MP running backs have been impressive so far, so look for them to have a solid game.
I don't think it'll be a blowout like Tony predicted, but MP wins this game by 2 touchdowns.
I think MP should win too.
I believe w-burg is down this year and that's not a bad thing its hard to put top teams on the field every year in any class except Regina.
I believe I will tune to AM1380 or FM102.5 tomorrow at 7.
Not sure who to root for now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT