ADVERTISEMENT

Why are Johnston and Waukee so bad?

Aug 30, 2016
Johnston and Waukee are wealthy suburban school districts with over 500 kids per class. Why can't either of them field a decent football team?

they will be just fine. Let's face it....4A football is valley, Dowling.....and a bunch of teams trying to be a very distant third.

Johnston(1-3) lost close to Ank Centennial and Urbandale. Won close against SE Polk. Lost bad to Dowling. 6th toughest schedule overall.

Waukee(2-2) beat Ankeny and Urbandale. Lost bad to Valley and Dowling. 1st toughest schedule overall.

Playing nothing but top shelf opponents, you lose games sometimes. Each of them will destroy everybody else in their district, besides each other.

And Waukee has certainly had playoff success in recent memory. Johnston was pretty good back in the mid-2000s. I think we need to put some perspective on this "have never been good" talk.

out of all the central Iowa teams - here is the best 100 game records. 100 games to me is a good metric since the percentage is easy to calculate and shows consistency

Dowling 08-16 91-9
Valley 01-08 90-10
Dowling 93-01 88-12
Dowling 72-81 83-17
Ankeny 05-13 82-18
Valley 92-00 79-21
Dowling 83-92 77-23
Ankeny 95-04 75-25
Ankeny 81-91 74-26
SEP 04-12 70-30

Johnston's best 100 game record is something like 60-40 or 61-39 from 06-15. Waukee's best 100 game record is 69-31 in the same time period.

I'm not surprised neither Johnston or Waukee are on the list. Waukee is still building into a 4A program. As is pretty obvious, Dowling, Valley, and to a lesser extent Ankeny are the class of central Iowa 4A high school football.

I'm not surprised neither Johnston or Waukee are on the list. Waukee is still building into a 4A program. As is pretty obvious, Dowling, Valley, and to a lesser extent Ankeny are the class of central Iowa 4A high school football.

Ankeny??? not sure about that, would have Waukee over them

When you have the "critical mass" it really comes down to coaching/tradition. Kids have to buy in and coaches have to get the most out of their kids. Not knocking any of the current coaches, but some have it, some don't.

When you have the "critical mass" it really comes down to coaching/tradition. Kids have to buy in and coaches have to get the most out of their kids. Not knocking any of the current coaches, but some have it, some don't.

Do you really think someone like Swenson could magically turn either school into a perennial? Not knocking on Swenson since his record speaks for himself. Nonetheless, coaching is a multiplier effect and not the thing itself. Either school might win an extra game here and there but it's hard to see them winning state.

Last edited:
I don't think it would be magical, nor instant but in a couple years, yes. I think coaches like him are savvy in how they manipulate their O and D schemes to get the most out of what they have.

Do you really think someone like Swenson could magically turn either school into a perennial? Not knocking on Swenson since his record speaks for himself. Nonetheless, coaching is a multiplier effect and not the thing itself. Either school might win an extra game here and there but it's hard to see them winning state.

Yes, coaching is important, all the way down to the little kids.

one of the things is that Johnston and Waukee don't quite have the same demos as Valley. Valley has more of a mix of kids - lots of wealthy people to be sure but plenty of working class people as well. I have a cousin who was a drug dealer at Valley and he mentioned that fights would happen pretty frequently there.

one of the things is that Johnston and Waukee don't quite have the same demos as Valley. Valley has more of a mix of kids - lots of wealthy people to be sure but plenty of working class people as well. I have a cousin who was a drug dealer at Valley and he mentioned that fights would happen pretty frequently there.

Wat8.jpg

Reactions: Kraftwerk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT