ADVERTISEMENT

Who moves onto the Dome?

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
What teams do you feel will be making a run to Cedar Falls among the final eight left?

Denver vs Garrigan- 3 things: 1)Home field advantage especially when opponent has to travel over 2 hours away. 2)Garrigan's 2 headed monster in Behr and Langerman will be a lot to handle on road. 3)Garrigan is a little more tested then most think.

Gladbrook vs BGM- Again home sweet home for a top seed. Even when BGM doesn't have a good offensive night there defense is outstanding and still allows them to win a close low scoring game. Defense wins championships!

Lynnville-Sully vs Mount Ayr- Lynnville was a lower seed and have battled to make the quarters. I believe they keep it going and make the dome.

Akron-Westfield vs West Sioux- Akron is coming off a big win over the defending champs! They keep rolling to Cedar Falls!

Denver vs Garrigan- 3 things: 1)Home field advantage especially when opponent has to travel over 2 hours away. 2)Garrigan's 2 headed monster in Behr and Langerman will be a lot to handle on road. 3)Garrigan is a little more tested then most think.

Gladbrook vs BGM- Again home sweet home for a top seed. Even when BGM doesn't have a good offensive night there defense is outstanding and still allows them to win a close low scoring game. Defense wins championships!

Lynnville-Sully vs Mount Ayr- Lynnville was a lower seed and have battled to make the quarters. I believe they keep it going and make the dome.

Akron-Westfield vs West Sioux- Akron is coming off a big win over the defending champs! They keep rolling to Cedar Falls!

I will take the opposite in every game. Denver and Gladbrook are solid, Lynnville was handled by Colfax, who was beat by MA by 20 last night, and West Sioux handled A-W earlier in the year.

G-R
Denver
Mount Ayr
West Sioux

I think G-R and Denver are the two best teams in the state sadly I think that BGM and Garrigan are 3 and 4

Reactions: C4-Hawk
How are they the best 2 when they have a combined 3 loses? Not trying to start a fight and not saying they aren't... But how is that logical?

GR and Denver are best two teams in class A. If Garrigan stays within 2 TDS I would be shocked. I don't care if Denver had to travel 8hrs to play them.

Reactions: C4-Hawk
How are they the best 2 when they have a combined 3 loses? Not trying to start a fight and not saying they aren't... But how is that logical?
2 losses to DNH, who could win 1A, Denver played with out Shedenhelm, the best back in the state, and GR lost head-to-head to Denver. So quite concievable these 3 combined losses could be to the 1A and A State Champs. I agree, Denver and GR are the 2 best teams, but will the state make it a rematch semi-final or split em up?

Two of the three losses came to Dike New Hartford, who if you don't follow 1A is a very solid team themselves. The final loss was to the other team, so someone had to lose that game.

Look what Denver did to Newman vs Garrigan and Newman. Look what Denver did to Montezuma vs what BGM did to Montezuma.

Reactions: Derder42
A coworker of mine went to the Grundy Garrigan game. He watched the Denver vs GR game and the Grundy vs Denver game.
In his opinion Denver will be too big up front and won't have much of a problem moving the ball and controlling time of possession.

Kevin, GR and Denver both lost to Dike, probably a top 3 team in class 1A, the 3rd loss is from the match up between them.

I think G-R and Denver are the two best teams in the state sadly I think that BGM and Garrigan are 3 and 4

Argee on this assessment, maybe not the order. Can't help but wonder why, Denver is not hosting GR and BGM not hosting LS. Then send Mt Ayr to Garrigan. This combination would have been the least mileage combination.

If G-R and Denver both win, which I believe they will, will they play in the semis? How do they decide who plays who, when it's a neutral field and location does not matter?

If both were to win, I would assume that they would play in the semis, but there is no guarantee of that, If and it is an if because BGM and Garrigan are quality opponents, but if it happens and Mount Ayr and West Sioux also are there may be the state would match up the undefeated team with the 2 loss team, and the two 1 loss teams together.

There are a lot of things that could happen.

In the past it appears the state tries to set up the dome games so that there would be an East vs. West championship. The exceptions come from unbalanced fields, such as in 8-man generally having stronger schools in the West, or when pairings create an unbalanced field.

District rematches weren't a criteria for the quarterfinals (to my knowledge), as geographic location was the biggest factor.

Step 1) West Sioux and Akron-Westfield are 13 miles apart. Hard to justify not having them play.

Step 2a) Closest remaining team to Mount Ayr is Lynnville Sully at 125 miles. (Then BGM, then Gladbrook, then Denver, then the furthest possible remaining is your proposal of Garrigan).

Step 2b) Closest remaining team to Garrigan is Denver at 128 miles. (Then Gladbrook, then Lynnville Sully, then tied for the furthest is BGM and your proposal of Mount Ayr)

Step 3) Pair BGM with remaining team at 46 miles.

Actual scenario (ignoring West Sioux): 298 miles
Your scenario (ignoring West Sioux): 263 miles

The district rematch way would provide less total miles, but the actual way balances those miles rather than give most of them to whichever team was assigned last. The way they paired them makes sense to me, at least more than the previous round did.

Is mt ayr the most physical team left? They punish and wear out opposing teams am i right cardinal?

The raiders did hold carter isley and albia to under 300 yards of offense and forced if i remember correctly 4 turnovers.

Raiders are extremely physical, their biggest concern remaining is protecting the ball, defensively they are solid.

Denver and Gladbrook looked physical in the dome last year, and it's hard to imagine that G-R beat Pleasantville 28-0 on speed.

West Sioux is has a balanced offense that will make them hard to prepare for.

BGM has been more flashy than physical in the past (against good teams) but I'm not sure what they're like this year.

Not sure on Garrigan and Akron-Westfield.

I would love to see an overall comparison of Class enrollment with the remaining teams. All are class A but on a scale of 1-10, 10 being "almost 1A" 1 being "almost 8-man" how do they stack up?
No predictions from me, I am too close to all this :).

Denver 169
BGM 140
West Sioux 138
Mount Ayr 131
G-R 124
Akron Westfield 123
Lynnville-Sully 116
Garrigan 108

Denver had a small senior class last year that put them in A for this cycle, Garrigan could go 8 man but I can't imagine them being interested in that.

I would love to see an overall comparison of Class enrollment with the remaining teams. All are class A but on a scale of 1-10, 10 being "almost 1A" 1 being "almost 8-man" how do they stack up?
No predictions from me, I am too close to all this :).

Haha. Bear fan getting ready to complain about getting beat by a 1a team again. Oops!

And you talk about class saywhat2, I know how proud I am of my son! And I know how much he gets beat up every game. Tell you what, I am an old man and I would kick your lame ass given the the chance! If you want to jump frog jump! Better hope your Lillie pap has roots enough to hold you up! Simple question you had to turn sour!

Raiders are extremely physical, their biggest concern remaining is protecting the ball, defensively they are solid.

Denver and Gladbrook looked physical in the dome last year, and it's hard to imagine that G-R beat Pleasantville 28-0 on speed.

West Sioux is has a balanced offense that will make them hard to prepare for.

BGM has been more flashy than physical in the past (against good teams) but I'm not sure what they're like this year.

Not sure on Garrigan and Akron-Westfield.

GR is physical but nobody is as physical as Denver.

And you talk about class saywhat2, I know how proud I am of my son! And I know how much he gets beat up every game. Tell you what, I am an old man and I would kick your lame ass given the the chance! If you want to jump frog jump! Better hope your Lillie pap has roots enough to hold you up! Simple question you had to turn sour!
EFIGHT!!!
Side note. GR is getting an oline/dlineman back Friday. He is returning from a broken ankle suffered in camp. He would have been a starter. he will definitely add much needed depth to the lines.

EFIGHT!!!
Side note. GR is getting an oline/dlineman back Friday. He is returning from a broken ankle suffered in camp. He would have been a starter. he will definitely add much needed depth to the lines.
Ya, sorry for that, some worms bring out the worst in people! Just want to see a clean fought battle (11 on 11 for a change) and may the best team win!!

100% HEART TO THE END! They are beat up, playing injured, but still playing with all they have. Many boys playing both sides of the ball the whole game. We will see Friday night :)

sorry, what do you want? I will not names on here, these boys want it as much as any other school does, I will let them play the game.

GR wins easy IMO. They have no concept of defeat. Their boys made it to state last year in every team sport.

I doubt BGM has a clue what kind of hurt is coming their way. I think by the end of the first quarter everybody at the game will know it is essentially "game over".

GR all hit very hard, they push the rules right to the limit. Every BGM receiver and special teams player better keep their head on a swivel because it's coming, sooner or later.

Denver beat GR because their line is as big as some NCAA division II teams.

District 4 is where the best football is played. GR would have won last year if their qb didn't break his collar bone in the semifinal.

At least GR will lay off the gas when they get up big with the dome coming up next week. They are not always so generous with the mercy.

well we forfeit then, no point even playing. don't be shocked when its the other way around. we are not one bit scared of this game. the pressure is off us, (we were not in the dome last year) the #1 target/curse if off our backs its now win or go home. looking forward to the game and the excitement couldn't be higher should be a heck of a game!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bearfan82
Nobody from BGM asked for the rankings they were given, they play their hearts out as well. Win or loose they will never deserve the criticism they will receive on here! And they have been know to "dish it out" as well. This is why they play the games!

Reactions: bgmpride78
Not bagging on BGM. Just telling you GR plays the game different. Extremely well polished.

Outside Denver GR basically hasn't been touched in two years buy a school in the same class.

Good luck to BGM. I just follow one of the many teams they have plowed over during the last several years.

Not bagging on BGM. Just telling you GR plays the game different. Extremely well polished.

Outside Denver GR basically hasn't been touched in two years buy a school in the same class.

Guess LoMa was a different class. Agree that GR and Denver are good, but not unbeatable as LoMa found out this year too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT