ADVERTISEMENT

Which semifinal game are you most excited about?

Mine would not be in 1A. Solon-Xavier should be really good! In 1A, I think both games will be good games. I think the Pella Christian and Regina game will be a bit closer than the West Lyon-Van Meter game. It will be interesting to see how the rematch of Regina-PC will come out. On paper, PC seems to have the upper hand. However, will the experience of Regina in this environment provide an advantage? Should be exciting games on both sides of the bracket.

Reactions: speed4power
They played this season?
No, not this year. Speaking of a rematch from last seasons game in the quarter-finals. Was quite a dandy. Regina snuck away with a 45-43 victory. You're quite astute on the board as are the others on this board. I thought what I was referring to was a given and people would understand. I apologize for not being clear.

Reactions: speed4power
On a slightly different note, I'd be interested to hear not necessarily predictions but what people think of the 4 teams left. West Lyon seems to run the ball and not hide it at all. They are big and they seem to line up double TE and say were coming at you it looks like to me. Maybe some WC fans can tell me if I'm wrong. The other teams throw it a bit more but seem to rely a bit more on the running game than passing game. Regina appears to air it out a bit more than the rest but not by much. Vollstedt for Regina, Triemer from PC, and Rhodes from VM all seem to be studs. WL seems to let a variety of guys run the ball. WL may provide the biggest challenges to opponents due to size and just blocking with so many guys up front. Historically, Regina has been good about stopping run-only teams. Do they have the man-power to do it this year? Does PC or VM? VM defense looks to be good again. However, they haven't gotten over the hump of getting beyond the semi's in previous years.

Last edited:
West Lyon/Van Meter should be a good one as will Pella Christian/Regina. It will be interesting to see if West Lyon's defense can slow down Carson Rhodes. He is a great player and does alot of good things for Van Meter.

Physically, these two are very comparable. Big, strong and fast. WL is a little bigger in the secondary, but the front 7 are very similar.

Key Players: Carson Rhodes VM/Monte Pottebaum WL

Too close to call: Pickem

Reactions: Bluejay89
Load the box against West Lyon with 8 guys. Sell out on the run. Basically copy the strategy other teams used to beat Iowa earlier in the year.

'A second match between contestants or teams' he may be referring to the fact that these two teams played previously. I didn't read a time limit on the use of the word.

Sweet.

How might a rematch go between West Branch and Logan Magnolia?
They last played in 1989.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate for fun, Bluejay.
I knew what you were referring to right away. However comparing the 2017 Eagles to the DK and Levi Jungling 2016 version is not fair. Although Regina looks a great deal like their 2016 squad.

Load the box against West Lyon with 8 guys. Sell out on the run. Basically copy the strategy other teams used to beat Iowa earlier in the year.

I hope Van Meter puts 8 in the box that would be great. Maybe 9 or 10. West Lyon has always been a running team.

Reactions: Lyoncounty
I'm just playing Devil's Advocate for fun, Bluejay.
I knew what you were referring to right away. However comparing the 2017 Eagles to the DK and Levi Jungling 2016 version is not fair. Although Regina looks a great deal like their 2016 squad.
Haha. I figured. I agree that PC minus Jungling and Kac would seem to be a far different team. However, they are putting up a lot of points so I'm not quite so sure that's true. It's hard to tell if Regina is much the same or not. They did retain their QB, RB, and WR and 3/5 of their line amongst others. However, losing 2/5 of their line and an all-state receiver was a significant loss. Perhaps both teams took a bit of a dip. Should be a great matchup.

Sweet.

How might a rematch go between West Branch and Logan Magnolia?
They last played in 1989.

LoMa was 5-4 this year so I could see the Bears pulling out a close one.... wait is this at the Little Rose Bowl or LoMa? I do know it's not at the Dome. ;) Need some more research?

usfhawk come on man! I enjoy your posts, but you guys are so good this year you don't need to try and fool anybody. Snyder will destroy any team that doesn't properly respect the pass. The only real question is will they give you guys the 2A state title too when BH/RV wins that.

usfhawk come on man! I enjoy your posts, but you guys are so good this year you don't need to try and fool anybody. Snyder will destroy any team that doesn't properly respect the pass. The only real question is will they give you guys the 2A state title too when BH/RV wins that.

USF is definitely slow playing this. My prediction is nobody gets within 3 touchdowns of West Lyon. They are on a different level this year.

USF is definitely slow playing this. My prediction is nobody gets within 3 touchdowns of West Lyon. They are on a different level this year.

All four teams that are still alive are capable of winning it all. Very solid top four teams. The state champ will have to earn it. I don't see anyone running away with it.

WL is a very capable passing team. Snyder is the highest rated passer in 1A. This one should be an interesting matchup. Both teams can run and pass and have multiple weapons. Van Meter does rely on Rhodes quite a bit, but he is one heck of a player!

I saw that the younger Boles brother played in the quarterfinals, but where has Sean Boles been for the last few weeks? Hasn't played in awhile.

Last edited:
Yeah cause that makes sense...a game from week 2.

Reactions: WBBearsFollower
He's only attempted 155 less passes than Beau Cornwell.
Stats are a bit skewed.

21 TD in 78 completions is pretty impressive

How would having fewer pass attempts skew his QB rating?

Wolfpack, I hope you are right, but I think both games are going to be close ones. Four really good teams.

How would having fewer pass attempts skew his QB rating?

Wolfpack, I hope you are right, but I think both games are going to be close ones. Four really good teams.
You mean the stats would be more accurate or impressive if Coach Rozeboom pummeled teams in the 2nd half to pad the stats. Coach Rozeboom and Coach Brandt are both classy in calling off the dogs the minute they get to running clock late 2nd earl 3rd they are out of the game.

You mean the stats would be more accurate or impressive if Coach Rozeboom pummeled teams in the 2nd half to pad the stats. Coach Rozeboom and Coach Brandt are both classy in calling off the dogs the minute they get to running clock late 2nd earl 3rd they are out of the game.

Yep. That is the exact contextual evidence I was attempting to provide. Thanks for being one of the few who agrees with me.

You've always been one of my favorites.

Yep. That is the exact contextual evidence I was attempting to provide. Thanks for being one of the few who agrees with me.

You've always been one of my favorites.

It is good when coaches do that. Some of the stats you see across the state are accomplished when the game is out of hand.

Reactions: Pinehawk
I don't believe anyone picked a Regina-VM championship. Both good games today. Someone said it that it was 4 good teams and anyone could be anyone. Good call! Congrats to VM for getting over the hump. Should be a good matchup in the finals I think. VM was impressive today.

I've said it before and it bears repeating:

Regina is the best team in 1A in 2017. 40 players program wide and still taking care of business.
Would've called VM win over WL, too. Just because. Big men up front plus the QB-RB combo they have is dynamic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT