ADVERTISEMENT

What does your team need to do to turn the corner in 2013?

Wayne (8-man, District 5) has to get more physical in the trenches, on both sides of the ball. In their three losses (Melcher, HLV, and Adair-Casey), the defensive line was living in Wayne's backfield for much or all of the night and left no room for Clayton Kiefer to make things happen on the ground or time for Dillon Lain to find open receivers. On defense, the line was pushed around and gave the backs all kinds of room to build up a head of steam. And guys like Clayton Plowman, Trent Flesher and Cole Landhorf are not guys you want to give space to run.

The skill position players were pretty solid on both sides of the ball, and the lines looked good against weaker competition. But for them to take the next step, they need to be able to hold their own in the trenches against better teams.

Dowling Catholic needs to make sure QB Ryan Boyle is healthy.

He was injured for much of last season and getting beat in the quarterfinals the past 2 seasons is very disappointing for a program that is used to getting to at least the Class 4A semifinals as the norm, so yes the Maroons do need to turn the corner this season.

Originally posted by usfhawk:
Get bigger, faster, and stronger this off season.
All of these are essential for every team I would say. As for HLV, (8-man, D5) they will need to fill the holes left by Dietrich and Varo both offensively and defensively as well as the holes left by DeBrower and Lahndorf on offense, defense, and special teams. Strudthoft will need to use his speed and athleticism in the open field, him making big plays offensively will be crucial for the Warriors. As for defense, Louis Kriegel will have to be a monster and help set the tone for the team. He's a fiery player who leaves everything on the field every night.

Although HLV loses a few very good players, I still expect them to compete for the D5 championship and hopefully they can make a run deeper into the playoffs this year.

Honestly, I fully expect the HLV @ Wayne game to decide the district champ. I think Melcher simply loses way too much, and everyone else in the district was way behind those three teams last year.

S.C. East needs to have a convincing win over Heelan. Now that would be a helluva corner turner. Not to say we wouldn't even take an ugly win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT