ADVERTISEMENT

Week 6 Top 10 Rankings

Charles86

Freshman
Aug 6, 2018
Here are my top 10 rankings heading into week 6 and after the opening week of district play.

1. West Sioux (5-0)
2. Dike-New Hartford (5-0)
3. Van Meter (5-0)
4. West Lyon (5-0)
5. South Central Calhoun (5-0)
6. West Branch (5-0)
7. Western Christian (5-0)
8. Treynor (5-0)
9. Sigourney-Keota (5-0)
10. Regina, Iowa City (4-1)

Looking in: Mount Ayr (5-0), Underwood (5-0), Panorama (5-0) , North Linn (4-1), Mediapolis (4-1), Dyersville Beckmann (4-1), Pleasantville (4-1), ACGC (4-1)

Nothing in the top 10 changed in my rankings. Treynor had a closer than expected win over East Sac as maybe they looked ahead to their week 6 game vs Underwood. All of the other teams in the top 10 looked pretty solid. Any word on Johnson from Mediapolis? Looks like he didn’t play last night. What’s his status going forward, Mepodawg?

Going off these rankings, some noteworthy games in week 6:

#1 West Sioux (5-0) @ #7 Western Christian (5-0)

Underwood (5-0) @ #8 Treynor (5-0)

Looking in noteworthy game:

Mount Ayr (5-0) @ Panorama (5-0)

*RPI rankings will also come out after week 6

Last edited:
Reactions: mtdew_fever
@Charles86, no inside information, but I believe he'll sit out another week since they play Columbus Junction next week. They play @ Wilton in 2 weeks.

No sense in rushing your best player back against inferior opponents. Get the young man back to full health and ready for the stretch run. Also builds character among the guys that are on the field playing in his absence.

*RPI rankings will also come out after week 6

The first one will look wonky due to the (likely) 2 unbeaten teams in D1 and (likely) 3 unbeaten teams in D8 -- things that won't sort themselves out for a couple more weeks.

Week 6 - West Sioux at Western Christian, Mount Ayr at Panorama
Week 7 - West Lyon at West Sioux, Van Meter at Panorama
Week 8 - Van Meter at Mount Ayr
Week 9 - Western Christian at West Lyon

Last edited:
Reactions: Charles86
I see Mediapolis having the upper hand vs Wilton. Wilton is a quality program but young and without a couple key players since the beginning of the season. To me, District 5 is a toss-up between Mediapolis, Wapello and Sigourney-Keota.

Very true but it's definitely any given "Friday" in this district in my opinion. I'm still curious to see what SK can or can't do to Wapello, and I'm curious what Wapello can or can't do to Wilton.

SK finishes the season at Wapello and then home to Mediapolis for what looks like the game that decides who wins the district. Will be a big couple of weeks for SK and key that they don’t overlook Wapello with eyes on the regular season finale.

I don't think any of those teams are real contenders. Winning games without completing a pass (i.e. S-K) just isn't a strategy that will be successful against any of the top teams. That District doesn't appear very strong at all to me.

What does everyone think? I’m thinking:

West Sioux 42
Western Christian 14

I don't think any of those teams are real contenders. Winning games without completing a pass (i.e. S-K) just isn't a strategy that will be successful against any of the top teams. That District doesn't appear very strong at all to me.
I agree with you that SK is completely one dimensional, but they do that one dimension very well. Huge up front which is what it takes to run the single wing. I look for them to possibly make it to the quarterfinals if they draw a favorable first round matchup, then get taken out by West Branch or some other superior 1A team.

Just make the playoffs is the first goal. Then see what happens. You never know,

Reactions: Pinehawk
Have a prediction for the game?

West Sioux is just to talented for 1a teams. WS by 48+ Western just doesnt have the dogs and wont be able to get to dekkers

Van Meter and Dike are the next teer . They can play. Outside of those 3 i dont think anyone has a shot. jmo

Anyone have a prediction on where Van Meter fits into the mold in a four team semi-final? (As in matching up with areas of the state) Obviously it depends on who wins but it seems that Van Meter could be held away from the Northwestern teams if possible to get them on the other side of bracket from Northwest teams...

Anyone have a prediction on where Van Meter fits into the mold in a four team semi-final? (As in matching up with areas of the state) Obviously it depends on who wins but it seems that Van Meter could be held away from the Northwestern teams if possible to get them on the other side of bracket from Northwest teams...

Van Meter will be held away from the NW through the first two rounds and then it’s up to the RPI on how they would play in the semis if they get there. They weren’t matched with any NW teams last year until they got matched with West Sioux in the semis based on the RPI. I assume it’ll be like that again this season.

I’d lean that way currently. Question is, at 7-2 will Mepo’s RPI be high enough. Hopefully L&M can win a couple more games.
No 7-2 team failed to make the playoffs last year. Think that it could this year?

No 7-2 team failed to make the playoffs last year. Think that it could this year?
Most likely not, but 2 of their non-district opponents may only win 1 game combined and that’s one beating the other. I haven’t looked at what all the other 5-0 and 4-1 teams have for non-district opponents. I don’t have that much time on my hands.

When they get in, I’d love to see Regina put in the same pod as West Branch. What are the chances the state would do that if they get the opportunity?

Reactions: Pinehawk
Wouldn’t at all surprise me to see a group along the lines of West Branch, Regina, SK and Mepo. Honestly don’t know where else you would send SK and Mepo if they were both to make it, SE IA is pretty weak for 1A Edit: Forgot about D5 with Pleasantville or Pella Christian, those would be other possibilities

West Sioux is just to talented for 1a teams. WS by 48+ Western just doesnt have the dogs and wont be able to get to dekkers

Van Meter and Dike are the next teer . They can play. Outside of those 3 i dont think anyone has a shot. jmo

interesting take

Not knowledgeable in this district but does ACGC and Panorama look to be the fight for second in Van Meter's district? Mt. Ayr a contender?

Western now leading West Sioux by 4 in the 4th.
5 minutes to go (a lot of time for Dekkers, but he’s not looking his best tonight, yet)

Last edited:

Games not done but good prediction...pretty close

Reactions: MsideChief
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT