ADVERTISEMENT

Upper Iowa Conference 2012

Originally posted by Clones1515:
South Winn is starting the season of strong at 4-0, although they have not played anybody decent yet. They put the ball in play a lot, have good team speed, and field the ball very well. They might be hurting now though because two starters are ineligible and will be out for 30 days. Opperman, who was an All-UIC 2nd team selection last year, and Schmitt who's about the only guy in the line up that's a threat to go deep. It'll be interesting to see how they play missing two key players.

Quikstats SW posted a boxscore for the game against Jesup. They lost 13-1 and had 3 hits in the game...

My bad on that post..got some bad information from somebody who told me they won the Maq. Valley tournament. Not very reliable obviously.

Originally posted by maxstabs13:
Originally posted by rjt62:
SF got beat tonight by New Hampton 4-3 in 11 innings. I heard Nuss had 21 strike outs?
This post was edited on 5/24 1:04 PM by rjt62

It was an 11 inning game, so Nuss may have went more than 7.

It is posted...
Nuss 9IP 2H 1BB 2R(0ER) 20K
Steege 2IP 1H 2BB 1R(0ER) 5K

Somewhere the stats are missing the 4th run, so I am guessing Steege got it since he received the loss. Striking out 25K's of 33 possible outs. Impressive!

Clayton Ridge/Central and North Fayette split a doubleheader tonight. NF wins game one 4 to 0 (all four runs unearned I believe) and CR/Central wins game two 5 to 3.

Are there any early surprises in the conference this year? I'd have to say that Clayton Ridge / Central is a team that many may have overlooked this year. They’re probably not a conference champion contender but a team that can sneak up on teams and win any night. I think that they’ll still run into inconsistency issues as the year goes on.

At this point, it looks like NF doesn't have much solid pitching. They are getting knocked around pretty good. The bats aren't doing great either....

Thus far,

Surprises...
Kee will probably not beat everyone.
Clayton Ridge/Central have seemed to finally get the young talent that they have had to play together and get confidence.
MFL Mar-Mac looks like they are solid, but NF didn't use there best pitcher. I am guessing Hundt pitched in the 6-0 MFL shutout.
North Fayette is struggling to even score runs as of late.
South Winn looks like they could be one of the bottom 3 teams.

Not Surprises...
Sumner Fred seems to have the most pitching in the conference.
Turkey Valley seems to have the best hitting in the conference.
Postville/Valley both look to be at the bottom of the conference.

I haven't seen Valley yet this year but when I saw them last year they only had one senior in the lineup from a team that won 5 games all year. With that in mind they should have experience at all positions but they don't seem to have many athletes right now, as all of their sports seem to be down as of late. So far their stats don't look overly impressive on offense or deffense but they played Sumner-Fredrickburg very close in two games.

Originally posted by SportsIAFan:
I haven't seen Valley yet this year but when I saw them last year they only had one senior in the lineup from a team that won 5 games all year. With that in mind they should have experience at all positions but they don't seem to have many athletes right now, as all of their sports seem to be down as of late. So far their stats don't look overly impressive on offense or deffense but they played Sumner-Fredrickburg very close in two games.

I figured SF may have not thrown there best guys. They did throw Nuss against Valley, but Mohs for Game 2. I noticed that Steege didn't play in either game and it looks like he hasn't played since the North Linn game, in which he threw 4 scoreless innings. Did he get hurt in that game?

I heard that his throwing arm has been hurting him, so he took a week off. It must of been feeling pretty good tonight he threw a 4-0 shutout with 15 strikeouts against South Winn tonight.
Nuss and Rommes pitched the first game with SF winning 3-2.

Kee High took a pair from Clayton Ridge/Central Monday night 6-1 and 7-3. CR/Central has been pitching well enough all year, but they definitely need to get the bats going if they are going to stay above .500. Doubleheader on Tuesday vs. Wapsie Valley.

Originally posted by rjt62:
I heard that his throwing arm has been hurting him, so he took a week off. It must of been feeling pretty good tonight he threw a 4-0 shutout with 15 strikeouts against South Winn tonight.
Nuss and Rommes pitched the first game with SF winning 3-2.

It was a 1 hitter as well. Hopefully, his issues have gone away.

I have to say as good as SF's pitching looks they need to get better hitting to have any chance of making a run past districts or substate.

They will likely be stuck with the likes of Hudson, W'loo Columbus, North Fayette, South Winn, Wapsie Valley, Aplington Parkersburg, Maquoketa Valley, Jesup, and Dyersville Beckman for districts and substate. All of those teams are formidable from what I can tell.

I would say the favorite two at this point are Dyersville Beckman and Hudson. Closely behind are SF and WC.

What is going on with North Fayette?

Oelwein won 10-0 yesterday. Baerg for Oelwein pitched a 3 hitter with 1 BB and struckout 3. Other than that he has 2 2/3 innings 4H 7R(2ER) 3BB 0K's.

Greco got knocked around for 4IP 5H 4R(3ER) 1BB 2K.

The youngsters at CR/Central have hit a rough patch. They lost a pair to Wapsie Valley Tuesday night 3-2 and 11-10. Pitching has been good for the most part in the first eight games (except the 2nd game vs. Wapsie). The WarEagles have dropped to 3-5 on the season now. Doubleheaders vs. South Winn Thursday night and Maq. Valley on Friday.

SF/TV played in the SF tournament and it seems as neither team threw a notable pitcher in the game. I think you can expect to see Nuss/Steege/Mohs as the potential conference game pitchers for SF and Busta/Busta/Mitchell for TV.

Thus far the conference looks like this:
Kee 4-0 Swept CRC and Pville
SF 4-0 Swept Valley and SWinn
TV 4-0 Swept Valley and Pville
MFL MarMac 2-0 Swept NF
NF 1-3 Swept by MFL and Split with CRC
CRC 1-3 Swept by Kee and Split with NF
SWinn 0-2 Swept by SF
Pville 0-4 Swept by TV and Kee
Valley 0-4 Swept by TV and SF

6/7-
SF/Pville
SWinn/CRC
NF/Valley

6/11-
SF/Kee @Kee
MFL/SWinn @SWinn
TV/CRC
NF/Pville

SF and Postville split a pair. I was very impressed how Postville hit the ball!

There seems to be more balance throughout the conference this year than most people originally thought. The top teams all seem to be either starting slow or more just not as strong as predicted. Some of the weaker teams have been playing right with and often beating the top teams. Its fun to know that the games are more competitive and the score could be a surprise every night.

SF split with Pville
NF swept Valley easily
SW split with CRC

Kee 4-0
TV 4-0
SF 5-1
MFL 2-0
NF 3-3
CRC 2-4
SW 1-3
Pville 1-5
Valley 0-6

Thoughts on the season and the players talked about earlier in the season thus far?

Originally posted by c4cy21:
Thoughts on the season and the players talked about earlier in the season thus far?
Well Kee may be putting things together. Swept SF 4-1 and 8-4 yesterday.

Hitting leaders are no surprise.
Greco 5 HR, Schmitt/Mitchell 4 HR, and Hundt with 2 HR.

Pitching leaders also no surprise, but Burroughs from Kee emerging is a small surprise.
Nuss/Steege, Hundt, Heiderscheit/Burroughs.

Next year looks to be pitching dominated for sure.
Busta's at TV. Rommes at SW. Nuss/Steege at SF. Burroughs at Kee. Snyder/Walter at NF. Soph's CRC, Pville, and Valley.

originally posted by maxstabs13:

SF/TV played in the SF tournament and it seems as neither team threw a notable pitcher in the game.

Didn't TV throw Jordan Schmitt that game? He might arguably be considered their ace this season.

I see where Steege lost a one hitter against Kee Monday. (S-F people left the game with the impression that it had been a no-hitter. But Quik Stats posted by Kee credit one of their players with a hit.)

Conference standings as of Wednesday 6/13/12:

Kee 6-0 Obviously improving as they grind through tough schedule
Turkey Valley 6-0 Still hitting; pitching & defense improved from 2011
S-F 5-3 Why did this team struggle with Valley and Postville?
North Fayette 5-3 Doubleheaders with Kee, TV, SF, SW, and MC Newman soon!
MFL Mar Mac 3-1 Surprised they swept North Fayette. Insights on this?
S.Winneshiek 2-4 Freshman Jordan Rommes .383 BA, 2.14 ERA in 20 innings!
Clayton Ridge 2-6 Split with N. Fayette & S. Winneshiek
Postville 1-7 Lost 4 games by 2 runs or less
Valley 0-6 Struggling

Originally posted by Superbee922:
originally posted by maxstabs13:

SF/TV played in the SF tournament and it seems as neither team threw a notable pitcher in the game.

Didn't TV throw Jordan Schmitt that game? He might arguably be considered their ace this season.

I see where Steege lost a one hitter against Kee Monday. (S-F people left the game with the impression that it had been a no-hitter. But Quik Stats posted by Kee credit one of their players with a hit.)

Did the game go extra innings? I don't see how Steege threw a 1 hitter or no hitter if 4 runs minimum were allowed by SF.

No, the game did not go extra innings. SF just made to many errors. Someone said SF out hit Kee 15-4 on the night, but it is the final score that counts! And yes, Schmitt did throw against SF at the SF tournament.

Turkey Valley looks really tough, their offense is on fire and their pitching has been good enough to win. They haven't played any of the top teams in conference play, but they have a few quality wins over Charles City, New Hampton, and a tourney win over Sumner Fred.

South Winn is a team I can't figure out at all. They have some bad losses, including losing to CR/C and getting ten runned by Riceville, who is awful. But they also swept Kee High the other night. It'd be interesting to know when the last time Kee got swept in a conference double header.

SF and Kee look solid as always. SF has the pitching you need to make deep runs in the tourney.

North Fayette also looks to be coming around, winning 7 of their last 9 games. Greco is a monster but probably won't see many good pitches if opposing coaches are smart enough to pitch around him..

MFL will beat a lot of good teams with Hundt on the mound, but don't have anything outside of him pitching wise.

I haven't seen any other teams play this year so I won't comment on them.

Maxstabs...would you be so kind to provide a conference update as of June 19, 2012? Turkey Valley split with Sumner-Freddy tonight losing the first game 6-1 and winning the second game 3-0.

TV 7-1 Split with SF
Kee 7-3 Swept by SW, Split with NF
NF 6-4 Swept Valley/Pville, Split CRC, Swept by MFL
SF 6-4 Swept SW/Valley, Swept by Kee, Split Pville and TV
SW 5-5 Swept by SF. Split with CRC, Valley, MFL, Swept Kee--- Weird and more weird
MFL Mar Mac 4-4 Swept NF, Split SW/CRC, Swept by Pville
CRC 4-8 Split Valley. SW, NF, MFL
Pville 3-7 Swept MFL, Split SF
Valley 2-8 Split with SW and CRC

This post was edited on 6/19 1:48 PM by maxstabs13

I see Heying is back in action for NF. Getting a #1 starter back at this point in the season will help for sure.

After seeing most of the teams in this conference I would say from top to bottom this is a pretty balanced conference.

Getting interesting now...

TV 7-3 Matchups: Kee, NF, MFL
Kee 8-4 Matchups: Valley, TV
NF 6-4 Matchups: TV, SW, SF
SF 8-4 Matchups: NF, MFL
SW 7-5 Matchups: Pville, NF
MFL Mar Mac 5-5 Matchups: Valley, TV, SF
CRC 4-10 Matchups: Pville
Pville 3-9 Matchups: CRC, SW
Valley 4-8 Matchups: MFL, Kee

I would say Kee is somehow in the best position yet again.
TV gets the 5 toughest teams to finish the season and they are 1-3 after playing 2 of them.

My thoughts are:
Kee 11-5
SF 11-5
TV 11-5
SW 10-6
NF 9-7
MFL 7-9
CRC 6-10
Pville 3-13
Valley 4-12

This post was edited on 6/25 2:22 PM by maxstabs13

South Winn bounces back after a strange loss to Valley and sweeps Turkey Valley. They seem to be two different teams at times this year, with big wins and very disappointing losses. I believe Valley took two from Postville. Maxstabs I would agree with you that Kee does seem to be the team that's in the best position to win the conference again. I think between SF NF SW and TV any one of these teams could end anywhere from 11-5 to 8-8 and not many people would be surprised. In fact I think MFL could finish with 10 wins as well. It's been a fun year to watch and it should be a great finish to the conference.

Originally posted by turbospeed:
I saw that MFL split with Kee, any insight on how it happened?
My guess is Hundt pitched and probably was responsible for MFL's 3 runs in some way as well.

It will be interesting to see what they do against TV and SF.

I expect Hundt will either not pitch or be an "if necessary" pitcher against Valley. With 3 days between TV and SF, while having districts around the corner. I wonder if they will pitch Hundt as a starter in all series or platoon him some way to keep him from getting fatigued prior to the postseason.

SF will face a similar situation against NF and MFL. Do they pitch Steege and Nuss for both series or try other pitchers(Mohs and Meier) to see how long they last and then bring it Nuss or Steege.

TV has the biggest problem of them all. NF, MFL, and Kee all within a 7 day span. They will absolutely need to platoon pitchers and hope the offense is clicking.

MFL could also end up 11-5 if they run the table, but Hundt is the only pitcher that has been consistent all year.

With the conference season getting close to ending and all conference awards around the corner what positions do you feel the conference is strongest at and what positions do you feel it's the weakest at?

Game 1: Kee 5 Turkey Valley 2
Game 2: Turkey Valley 12 Kee 1(5 Innings)

SW swept TV and Kee. Since it is a 3-Way Tie I am curious if that will matter.

Official Standings:
TV 11-5
Kee 11-5
SW 11-5
SF 10-6
NF 9-7
MFL 6-10
CRC 6-10
Valley 5-11
Pville 3-13
This post was edited on 7/3 12:51 AM by maxstabs13

What are all the conference scenarios for the conference title? Who wins the conference title tonight? Will we see co-champions or will one team emerge victorious? Reply quickly!!!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 7/2 1:28 PM by c4cy21

I already outlined the situation above. If TV or Kee sweep each other they win the conference. In the case of a split then they tie and NF or SW sweep then it can be a 3 way tie.

SF can sweep MFL and hope for a SW/NF split to finish in a tie for 3rd, otherwise SF finishes 4th, 5th, or tie for 6th.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT