ADVERTISEMENT

Umpires

Originally posted by yankees19:

top of 2nd inning

west lyon had runners on first and second with 1 out. batter hits slow roller to 3rd base. the 3rd baseman fields grounder never looks at runner going to 3rd or 2nd. he throws to 1st base late. bases would have been loaded with 1 out. jim scholten said runner going to 3rd base ran out of baseline to get to 3rd. he went around 3rd baseman who was standing in baseline. when coach asked scholten what runner was suppose to do run fielder. scholten replied he should go around fielder. when 3rd baseman fielded ball and threw to first the runner was only at shortstop position. west lyon would had opportunity to take early lead in game because next batter hit slow roller to 2nd. run could of scored.

top of 6th innings

west lyon had bases loaded 0 outs. batter hits line drive to shortstop. he then throws to 3rd base. 3rd baseman is searching out base and never gets within a foot of base. runner drives back. scholten calls him out to end game.

I'm sure this has probably been explained, but you should be more concerned with the game ending after the top of the 6th with two outs and not the 7th inning and three outs. Please, quit trying to make it Heelan's or the umpire's fault as well. I feel dumber for reading all of your posts. I can't even tell which game you are complaining about sometimes.

The saint Mary's third basemen tried to tag out the runner going to third but he RAN OUT THE BASELINE.

And the double play yes he was on the base where were you sitting probably not that good of an angle?

Couple things

1 - I am amazed that the OP could actually see umpires blinking their eyes at a hard inside fastball. Your superman vision is something to be marveled at.

2 - Yankees you are wrong about nearly everything you write. You clearly have no concept of what happened. West Lyon lost because RSM was better that night. West Lyon seems to have some really poor sports right now as I remember a few basketball threads with a LOT of whining from WL after they lost to Rock Valley.

I have no issue with umpires talking with players, especially at the plate. There are a lot of good umpires who also can hold small conversations with catchers. That doesn't mean they aren't invisible, in the sense that they're supposed to be.

Originally posted by tm3308:
I have no issue with umpires talking with players, especially at the plate. There are a lot of good umpires who also can hold small conversations with catchers. That doesn't mean they aren't invisible, in the sense that they're supposed to be.
Some of the best umpires that have worked games for me are the ones that will have a short conversation here and there with a player or coach. As long as it does not turn into a full conversation and take away from the game, there is no harm. Talked with an umpire about this early in my coaching career, he said if the umpire does not want to talk during a game, you can clearly tell within the first 3 seconds. Lived by it ever sense.

The 3rd base ump said he saw Leinen push the 2nd baseman out of the way with both hands (which ultimately ended up being called a flagrant infraction with 1 game suspension) and the 3rd base ump wanted the 2nd base ump to confirm it. The 2nd base ump didn't, as he was watching Leinen running for 3rd and the ball was out in left field.

The 3rd base umps position should have not been on 2nd base anyhow, and the 2nd base ump had it right, no foul by the Harlan kid, but it was obstruction by the DCG kid. Harlan should have had their run scored, left as a score and Leinen should have also been able to go to his base he was running to, plus 1 base on the obstruction. At that point the score should have been Harlan 2 - DCG 0.

If the 2nd baseman did not have a play on the ball (which he did not) and he was in the base runners path, he was obstructing the path of Leinen. I think that's what the Harlan coach was all hot about. As it turns out, there is at least 1 video of what actually happened, (and I've heard 1 or 2 more videos) and they should have sent it in to Boone to get the 1 game suspension reversed.

I would think they should have petitioned Boone to take back that 1 game suspension, based on film evidence, and overrule the umpire from 3rd base. If you noticed, it was the 3rd base ump who ran to the DCG dugout and got a phone or walkie or something, and he was quite animated and mad to whoever he was talking to. He did that after the Harlan coach kept complaining to him that he made the wrong call.

As it turns out, the video shows that the 3rd base umpire did in fact make the WRONG call. DCG's 2nd baseman did interfere with Leinen's running the bases. The 2nd baseman had no play on the ball as it went into left field. The DCG 2nd baseman simply was obstructing the base path of the runner Leinen. That's when Leinen ran into him - and the 3rd base ump claimed he saw Leinen shove the DCG 2nd baseman out of the way with both hands.

The umpire at 3rd base screwed up - big time.

Harlan eventually won, however, Leinen is being penalized with a 1 game suspension for something he did not do. Appeal it to Boone with the video and get the suspension lifted.

The suspension was a complete joke. I sure hope Harlan did send in the video. It shows obstruction all the way and the 3rd base umpire was way out of line with that call. Never make it unless you are 150% sure and he blew it. Now the Harlan player has to pay for something that never happened, and in fact was an infraction against him!! I'm sure they won't because they always back up the wrong call, but the association should see this video and reversed the suspension.. Do the right thing and don't penalize an innocent kid.

I totally agree. I didn't see the basepath obstruction by the DCG kid, I was watching the ball go out into left field. But if anyone there with a camera videoed the game, it has to be on several cameras.

I just doubt that even with video proof, the Boone boys wouldn't change the outcome - - - to protect the umps. I mean, if you're wrong, correct it. They can't go back and give Harlan 2 extra runs, I understand that, but, they can review the film and give Leinen the oportunity to play today. They should have the nads to correct that mistake. They also have the moral obligation to do so . . . but they more than likely will not, because it would be admitting that they're wrong.

What a lesson to teach a young student, wow.

It is my understanding that it was sent to Boone and they are backing the umpires. We film the game for our Cable TV network and had a great view of it and it dosn't matter to the people in Boone. The third base ump wasn't even watching the runner at 2nd at the time of impact as he was watching the runner rounding 3rd.

This play was crazy...but your interpretation of the events is not quite accurate. I was at the game...know the umpires involved and can say with confidence this is what happened.

1st: 2nd base umpire called the runner from Harlan for Malicious Contact. Meaning he thought the runner from Harlan hit the fielder from DCG on purpose and went out of his normal path to do so. The Ball is dead immediately at that point...ending Harlan chance of scoring on the play...sending runner back to the last base they had reached before the MC happened.

2nd: Third base umpire was the crew chief. So when this play happened with a lot of implications and unique rulings he became the focal point for communications with coaches...and with the official scorer in the booth(walkie talkie communication). He did not make the call at 2nd but was responsible for getting the game set back up after the malicious contact occurred.

Hope this makes sense...what a weird play...but given what the 2nd base umpire ruled happened(this is the point where most arguements occur), it was enforced correctly.

Hope this helps...if anyone is still reading this. hahahaha

Yes, the play was definitely crazy, but regardless of how well you know the umpires involved what you say is not fact.

1st: The second base umpire did not have malicious contact. He in fact told the Harlan runner involved to go to third base with the obstruction he had called.

2nd: The third base umpire then came in and told him he saw the Harlan runner "put out his arms and push the fielder down," which was entirely bogus. The video showed that also.

The enforcement was never in question if that was what actually happened, it was the call itself and who made it because the third base umpire claimed he saw something that never happened. Anyone who saw the video can plainly see the runner was in his path rounding second looking toward left field to see the ball. The fielder was clearly were he should not have been. Yes, the enforcement of what was called was correct, but the call was blatantly incorrect and the third base umpire made a very poor call. What's done is done and no one can surely say it changed the outcome of Harlan's semi-final loss, but the bottom line is they deserved to opportunity to play that game at full strength.

Hickory was completely correct in how this went down and Leemark was completely clueless in his belief of how it went down. I don't know who Hickory is but he must know the umpires involved as well as I do. Anyhoo.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT