ADVERTISEMENT

Tigerpride

Lets just settle this all and have every private school form there own class. Because it seems to me that private school dominate all classes.

The rumor mill is buzzing today. Regina is said to be returning all of their students from Korea who pay tuition, their goal is to get below the 'A' BEDS number and free up some recruiting room. The Harris kid from NFV is said to be on an all expense paid recruiting trip to Regina as we speak. They may also have come up with a loophole in the eligibility status of Ryan Parmaley that gets him an extra year, since he was so close to setting the single season record for rushing yards and thinks he will have a good chance next year because Regina is going to the wishbone and throwing it only 3-4 times a month. Should be a great year next year for the Regals.

Figured a post that has absolutely no basis in truth or integrity could fit in with most of the people on this board lately.

Originally posted by Pinehawk:
Trust me...Regina doesn't turn away anybody. They need every student they can get.
Do they turn away those that cannot pay? Not trying to be an a##, just curious.

I know there are scholarships that can pay for students to attend? How would Regina (or any private school for that matter) handle a situation as such:

Johnny B. a stud athlete rarely in trouble, is an average student in grades (C's), but cannot pay.

Johnny C. a do-nothing, troubled student that gets D's and F's and is defiant, but can pay.

If either or both move into a Public schools district then they are in that school, regardless.

Rules will never apply to the private school students, because it is one less student the public schools have to pay for.

Hey Garbage, whether or not the privates go to THEIR own class or not, I bet THEIR graduates know the difference between THERE and THEIR.

Don't listen to any of these posters starting the public/private debate. We all know examples of "open-enrollees" to public schools, it happens all the time. Iowa City, Des Moines, Fort Dodge, Sioux City, etc. It happens everywhere.

Originally posted by maxstabs13:
Rules will never apply to the private school students, because it is one less student the public schools have to pay for.
CID\Pine - do you know what happens to the tax money associated to a kid that lives in school district X but then opts to go to private school Y? Does the tax money go to the students home district, go back to the state "fund" or some other option?

originally posted by Vroom_C14
CID\Pine - do you know what happens to the tax money associated to a kid that lives in school district X but then opts to go to private school Y? Does the tax money go to the students home district, go back to the state "fund" or some other option?

feels like dejavu all over again

Originally posted by Vroom_C14:
Originally posted by maxstabs13:
I don't know actually. I know is that the largest portion of my property tax goes to fund the Iowa City Public Schools.

Got this from a Des Moines presentation I just found online:

General Fund
• Where does Spending Authority come from?
▫ Basic formula: # of children x a cost per child
= total current year Spending Authority.
 # of children is a year behind - always use
prior year count - this October's number =
the number used for next year's budget
 Cost per child is set by the Iowa Legislature
(State Percent of Growth - aka Allowable
Growth)
 Spending Authority is then funded by a
combination of State Aid and Property Taxes

Just found this while I was looking as well. This would be nice...

A new tax break for private school tuition will make Wisconsin one of six states that offer broad-based tax benefits for parents who pay for private school tuition. The new tax benefit is included in the state budget that Governor Walker is expected to sign in the next week or so. The budget bill gives Wisconsin parents a tax deduction of up to $10,000 per child each year for private school tuition. Any tax filer, no matter how high his or her income, is eligible for this deduction - See more at: http://www.wisconsinbudgetproject.org/wisconsin-becomes-6th-state-to-add-tax-break-for-private-school-tuition#sthash.3WxFMZ5j.dpuf

Finance Info

We also know that there isn't a small school that open enrolls enough to be able to compete with Regina.

does that mean it costs the state of Wisc. more than 10K per child to have them in public school.

what is the tuition for a RHS for a Sr High student?

It goes to the home district. Speaking of OE my kids open enrolled when I lived in the Des Moines area and the administration joked that they loved my kids because the school ended up with 4 more kids OE'd into the school than out and that my 4 kids were worth a little over $15k to the school because they were the 4 over. To think that publics don't monitor and track this stuff is off base.

The average cost to educate a student in an Iowa public school is usually about !0-11,000 per year. The average cost to educate a private school student is about $6,000 per year. Biggest difference in cost is salary and benefits. Depending on each private school, students could pay full tuition or reduced tuition- depending on how much the local parish churches contribute. Most schools also have financial aid based solely on blind financial need- sent to third party companies for their calculations. Some schools lower, some higher but the cost (6,000) is roughly the same. If all private schools closed and went to public schools, it would increase the burden on the state for these additional students 5-6 k per year. Also, property taxes would have to increase to make up the balance. If you get to big cities, like Minneapolis or Kansas City- private school cost per pupil might be higher because they pay more for teachers.

Am I missing something here or does this sound right to everybody? I really don't know the exact state and federal contribution.

You might want to do some research on that one. 9 of the top 10 schools with the highest % of OE are small schools.

Trust me...Regina doesn't turn away anybody. They need every student they can get.
how is that special needs program going at Regina??

It's going well, just a few more tax dollars, passing a bond issue and receiving some more OE money and the program should be up and running. How is the earlier than expected start to wrestling and basketball practice?

Speaking of special needs, how are your kids doing BlameIt? And that isn't a knock on them. I don't believe in attacking kids or programs on here. I don't mean special needs in terms of academics, I bet they do well. I meant special needs in terms of having a father like you. When you set me up like that, it would be criminal not to take advantage. All in fun big guy.

Originally posted by Saints85:
Speaking of special needs, how are your kids doing BlameIt? And that isn't a knock on them. I don't believe in attacking kids or programs on here. I don't mean special needs in terms of academics, I bet they do well. I meant special needs in terms of having a father like you. When you set me up like that, it would be criminal not to take advantage. All in fun big guy.
well, given I am not a father. Hmm. tough to answer.

And I work with kids who have special needs so when a school will not accept them, it bothers me.

Thanks for playing, 'big guy' :)

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:
It's going well, just a few more tax dollars, passing a bond issue and receiving some more OE money and the program should be up and running. How is the earlier than expected start to wrestling and basketball practice?
you win. You've been sitting on that trump card for a week, I can tell.

"Keep it classy, brother" - is that a verse in 1st or 2nd Maccabees?

My NIV Bible does not provide the evidence for me.

Originally posted by BlameIt:
Originally posted by Saints85:
well, given I am not a father. Hmm. tough to answer.

And I work with kids who have special needs so when a school will not accept them, it bothers me.

Thanks for playing, 'big guy' :)
The school would accept them. But, parents don't typically have more intensive special needs kids attend because the resources aren't available. But, there are absolutely special needs kids at Regina.

Nope just thought of that one right before I typed it. 'Stay classy' ? Pretty certain a jab like that is far classier than some on this board and didn't post some things that have no factual evidence or go after a player or a coach.

This post was edited on 11/13 4:57 AM by cidhawkeye

After a quick research of reading your post, I have decided that my statement still stands as 100% factual without having to look up any OE %. And speaking of percentages, if 4 kids OE into a small town school with a class of 40, and 4 kids OE to a large school with a class of 300, who would have the larger % of OE kids?
You might want to do some research on that one. 9 of the top 10 schools with the highest % of OE are small schools.

Originally posted by rkhemp:
After a quick research of reading your post, I have decided that my statement still stands as 100% factual without having to look up any OE %. And speaking of percentages, if 4 kids OE into a small town school with a class of 40, and 4 kids OE to a large school with a class of 300, who would have the larger % of OE kids?
Link to the open enrollment by school district numbers.

Open Enrollment Numbers

Link to the open enrollment by school district numbers.
Thanks, Pine. I had seen that before somewhere and didn't know where to look.

As it pertains to football, which small school uses OE as an advantage? Which small school open enrolls enough football players to be able to compete with Regina on the field? Is it West Branch, who has more kids OE out than in? ( Guess we won't know if they could compete with Regina this year) Is it South Winn, who has 54 kids OE out and 38 OE in?

Where are the "facts" that OE gives schools a competitive advantage CID?

I guess it really depends on which kids leave and which kids join...
But, there is certainly nothing holding people back from going to whatever school they want (and for whatever reason). Even the small schools have 30+ kids from outside of their district as you point out.

CID, which small school "recruits" enough to be able to compete with Regina?

North Fayette recruited an entire school last year and were handed to it by Regina. BTW, NFV is a damn good team who might take the 2A crown this year.

Regina is head and shoulders above everyone else in 1A. Nobody in 1A has really even given them a game besides West Branch last year.

It doesn't seem Regina is going to fall any time soon. It is not a case of a couple special athletes going through the program. We have seen them not only wax 1A competition, but we have also seen them walk over some of the best 2A and 3A programs in the state.

So the question is how do we get Regina's opponents to be able to compete with them? Do we hire new coaches/ trainers? Do we teach the public schools how to recruit better? Do we just stay the course and enjoy their dominance? Does Regina like the lack of competition at the 1A level?

But, there is certainly nothing holding people back from going to whatever school they want (and for whatever reason). Even the small schools have 30+ kids from outside of their district as you point out.
And OE is subject to transfer rules. If a parent really wants their kid to play at another school and not sit out, they must change their address.

And OE is subject to transfer rules. If a parent really wants their kid to play at another school and not sit out, they must change their address.
Or just transfer at a time where sitting out won't affect football season.

RH, I believe the original question in this thread was who are the transfers into Regina, nobody has really answered that. Actually it has been asked for 5 years now and other than 1 or 2 people(who nobody contacted to find out why) there has been no evidence of anything wrong being done. And now in one thread you want me to provide a factual answer that wasn't even the original purpose of this thread? doesn't quite seem fair the anti private crowd has taken five years and and come up with little to nothing to support their 'recruiting'claims. Let me see if I can speed this process up a little bit.

CID, which small school "recruits" enough to be able to compete with Regina? Enough? so far there haven't been many, from a strict numbers aspect there are several schools who could be. CAM OE's 363, Northeast 340, East Marshall 329, Central Lee 295, Sergeant Bluff 273, Hinton 238, Treynor 233, Camanche 214. Not sure what all the reasons they have so many OE.

So the question is how do we get Regina's opponents to be able to compete with them? No idea, you ask some of those questions in the next couple of lines

Do we hire new coaches/ trainers? If you can find the right ones that might not be a bad idea. I have a feeling that there are some schools out there that can compete with Regina athletically.

Do we teach the public schools how to recruit better? That could help, some schools numerically seem to be doing well at it.

Do we just stay the course and enjoy their dominance? I wouldn't, Regina when faced with the domination by Solon changed their entire defensive theory and concepts. They also changed and diversified their offensive package, changed their weight lifting program. They also add and modify their schemes every year. It would be easy to sit back and say "what we have done has worked pretty well so no need to change" but they do every year. Far more than some teams that have had long term success.

Does Regina like the lack of competition at the 1A level? No idea, I wouldn't chalk these next two games up in the victory category just yet. .

So I am glad that I didn't need to take 5 years to answer the questions you posed. Maybe others on these boards can start to provide some answers to the questions they have been asked.

I understand that original post was about transfers to Regina, but a long the way OE was brought up like it always does.

I don't feel there is a transfer issue here, nor do I feel Regina is breaking any rules. I do feel however Regina does not belong in 1A. I also don't think if Wapello changes their defensive strategy they will all of a sudden beat Regina. With whatever advantages Regina has over small schools, there definitely are advantages. The only way the advantages will be nuetralized is if Regina plays at a higher class. They would still be able to compete for championships there, and there is a lot of data over the last 5 years to support this.

I believe it would be nearly impossible for small town schools to rise up to the level of Regina. On the other hand, it would only take a phone call from Regina to the state to say we are ready to go 2A, if not 3A. Regina would not need to rise to any other level, they are already there.

And for the record, you can call me a whiner all you want about Regina being better than my team but the truth is my team is in a higher class. 1A boards are just so much more fun.

Do you realize that Regina moving up a class would solve nothing? That we would just read these same misguided criticisms on the 2A board?
Football is never going to be completely equal. There are always going to be certain advantages for certain teams and that will change and evolve over time. It's just the way it is.

I believe it would be nearly impossible for small town schools to rise up to the level of Regina. On the other hand, it would only take a phone call from Regina to the state to say we are ready to go 2A, if not 3A. Regina would not need to rise to any other level, they are already there.
oh how funny that is.

CVC.

You realize that Regina faced the same scrutiny when they were one of the smallest schools in 2A? When the recruiting talk was the loudest, loud enough that there was a poster made with the title "From First Grade to First Place" showing that 21 of the 24 seniors had been at the school since kindergarten.So it won't change whatever level any of these private schools play at, there will always be the unfounded allegations, innuendo and the 'my friends brothers nephews kid twice removed got a letter and a call from Regina to go to school there and once he stopped growing they told him he couldn't go there anymore' stories. RH you at least are pretty reasonable on your approach, some of the others not nearly so much. I will never claim that Regina does not have an advantage, my kids have also open enrolled when they were young and my youngest sons strongest recruiting pitch came from one of the public schools in the city.

Cid - not including the up coming games, has Regina enjoyed the lack of competition from other 1A schools? Or to state it another way, have you as a fan, supporter of Regina athletics enjoyed the lack of competition?

I know for a while at some of the games I attended it was 50-0 at half and nearly half the crowd dispersed. The jump to another class has certainly made the games more enjoyable to watch as most aren't shortened by the 35 pt clock.

And I hope Regina brings the trophy back.

I know that the crowd doesn't stay real engaged in the game when they are lopsided like that. The close games have been more exciting to watch for sure. The 2A teams at Regina had the same problem with the scores getting out of hand. Were people asking Solon these same questions when Morris was there? other dominant teams throughout the years? In the not very crazy long ago time Regina was everyone's desired homecoming opponent, got the 50 point termination rule put on them routinely and had school board meetings about giving up football as a high school sport. All with the same potential advantages that they have now

I know that the crowd doesn't stay real engaged in the game when they are lopsided like that. The close games have been more exciting to watch for sure. The 2A teams at Regina had the same problem with the scores getting out of hand. Were people asking Solon these same questions when Morris was there? other dominant teams throughout the years? In the not very crazy long ago time Regina was everyone's desired homecoming opponent, got the 50 point termination rule put on them routinely and had school board meetings about giving up football as a high school sport. All with the same potential advantages that they have now
Well I guess this kind of an answer... more a deflection to Solon...

Solon knew their enrollment was going to bump them up (the 2014 class was the largest in school history) so there was no worries about it. Solon is now bouncing at the edge of 2A for enrollment.

I will say that the games now are much more competitive than when Solon was running amok over everyone. I hope they opt to stay in 3A.

Originally posted by Vroom_C14:
Well I guess this kind of an answer... more a deflection to Solon...

Solon knew their enrollment was going to bump them up (the 2014 class was the largest in school history) so there was no worries about it. Solon is now bouncing at the edge of 2A for enrollment.

I will say that the games now are much more competitive than when Solon was running amok over everyone. I hope they opt to stay in 3A.
How did they determine the bottom of 3A? I think Solon (3A) and MOC-Floyd Valley (2A) both have a BEDS of 315. Algona does too, but they share with C-W-L. So did they flip a coin or did one request to stay or drop down, etc? I don't think either share with another smaller school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT