ADVERTISEMENT

The Clinton River Kings and the MAC are slapping Des Moines best

superhusker33

Freshman
Apr 14, 2011
And soon enough the rest of the state. The MAC and Eastern Iowa are now taking over baseball as well as football and basketball. Our domination of the state is complete.

Feels Good Man!!!!

Originally posted by superhusker33:

And soon enough the rest of the state. The MAC and Eastern Iowa are now taking over baseball as well as football and basketball. Our domination of the state is complete.

Feels Good Man!!!!
Great win for Clinton and all, but you do realize that 3 of the 4 semifinalists are from the western part of the state and that eastern Iowa went 1-3 yesterday?

And its the East's fault that they set up the substates? Des Moines and the West always get what they want. In the Eastern half, they overload the sub states. Davenport North shouldnt have even been there, but still almost won. The East piggy backs the rest of state, as far as talent goes. There is no talent in Des Moines and beyond.

This post was edited on 8/1 9:29 AM by superhusker33

And its the East's fault that they set up the substates? Des Moines and the West always get what they want. In the Eastern half, they overload the sub states. Davenport North shouldnt have even been there, but still almost won. The East piggy backs the rest of state, as far as talent goes. There is no talent in Des Moines and beyond.

Ok, I'm going to respond once and then not be drawn in by the troll. Since 1995, the western part of the state has won 17 of the 18 state championships. And you believe this is due to the substate scheduling? OK, thanks.

You do realize that 1.) Ankeny is not Des Moines' best (East says hello) 2.) Clinton scored almost all of their runs off Ankeny's 4th or 5th best pitcher?

And I guess you missed where Ankeny came alive and nearly completed a comeback from being down 8-0? They dug themselves too deep of a hole, and that's on them. But let's not pretend that Clinton bitch-slapped them.

And complaining about how the substates were put together? They play those regionally, just like they do in every other class. You're not going to see Xavier and Sioux City East play each other for the right to play in Des Moines, just like you wouldn't see Kee, Lansing play Martensdale-St. Marys in substate.

Anyone who claims the Des Moines schools have no talent hasn't been watching baseball in this state. There's a reason that the CIML teams win the crown more often than not, and it's not because of unbalanced brackets. And if you've watched any of the rest of this year's tournament, you'll see that it's been a wild ride in all classes (only a handful of games decided by more than 2 runs, and one of those was a 9-inning thriller). That's been the story of this year's tournament, and apparently Class 4A isn't immune to that. And personally, I love it. This has been the best, most entertaining state tournament in a LONG time.

Ummmm.........IIRC, didn't Clinton score most of their runs off of a pitcher heading to a D-1 school next year. No?

That doesn't sound like a #4 or #5 pitcher? Then, they scored a few off of the kid heading to Arkansas, right?

Originally posted by wanderer85:

Since 1995, the western part of the state has won 17 of the 18 state championships. And you believe this is due to the substate scheduling? OK, thanks.
It's actually 16 out of 18, but still a remarkable run.

Can't believe I am going to take the side of the OP but tm it doesn't matter if they scored runs off their 4th best pitcher, 5th best pitcher, or best pitcher - bottom line is they won and Ankeny is done. If Ankeny did throw their 4th or 5th best pitcher, then shame on them because they have all off-season to think about that strategy

Originally posted by tm3308:
You do realize that 1.) Ankeny is not Des Moines' best (East says hello) 2.) Clinton scored almost all of their runs off Ankeny's 4th or 5th best pitcher?

And I guess you missed where Ankeny came alive and nearly completed a comeback from being down 8-0? They dug themselves too deep of a hole, and that's on them. But let's not pretend that Clinton bitch-slapped them.

And complaining about how the substates were put together? They play those regionally, just like they do in every other class. You're not going to see Xavier and Sioux City East play each other for the right to play in Des Moines, just like you wouldn't see Kee, Lansing play Martensdale-St. Marys in substate.

Anyone who claims the Des Moines schools have no talent hasn't been watching baseball in this state. There's a reason that the CIML teams win the crown more often than not, and it's not because of unbalanced brackets. And if you've watched any of the rest of this year's tournament, you'll see that it's been a wild ride in all classes (only a handful of games decided by more than 2 runs, and one of those was a 9-inning thriller). That's been the story of this year's tournament, and apparently Class 4A isn't immune to that. And personally, I love it. This has been the best, most entertaining state tournament in a LONG time.
IF if's and but's were candy and nuts, everyday would be Christmas. Re read what you just posted.
laugh.r191677.gif
Face it, Des Moines and the West is top heavy and you know it. Ankeny is like 3 schools in 1, seems fair though. Also, the PV, Bettendorf, Clinton, and Dubuque sub state was tougher than anything out west. 3 of those teams aare state caliber.

Feels Good, to slap Des Moines right in the mouth.

This post was edited on 8/1 12:38 PM by superhusker33

I have a question. Do the Des Moines area teams ever have to travel more than 20-30 miles for a game, regular or post season?

Congratulations to Clinton. The bottom line is they won the game and their kids deserve a lot of credit for playing a great game. Their players, their coaches, their fans (from what i could tell) acted classy. Good Luck the rest of the tournament. All this other stuff from the original poster, really? Who cares?

Clinton played very well yesterday, I watched most of the game. But I didn't realize they had won the state title in the first round. All this talk about smacking everyone around seems a little premature.

Originally posted by icu81222:
Ummmm.........IIRC, didn't Clinton score most of their runs off of a pitcher heading to a D-1 school next year. No?

That doesn't sound like a #4 or #5 pitcher? Then, they scored a few off of the kid heading to Arkansas, right?
McKinney didn't come in until the third inning, and he gave up the two insurance runs. Nick Belzer started the game and got shelled.

IF if's and but's were candy and nuts, everyday would be Christmas. Re read what you just posted.
laugh.r191677.gif
Face it, Des Moines and the West is top heavy and you know it. Ankeny is like 3 schools in 1, seems fair though. Also, the PV, Bettendorf, Clinton, and Dubuque sub state was tougher than anything out west. 3 of those teams aare state caliber.

Feels Good, to slap Des Moines right in the mouth.

This post was edited on 8/1 12:38 PM by superhusker33
Clinton earned their win, I won't deny that or say they won on a fluke. I never said Ankeny deserved to win the game, because they didn't. But it's tough to make a credible argument that Clinton slapped around Des Moines' best, when Ankeny didn't go in with their best. Props to Clinton for earning their way to their first semifinal appearance since 1970, but there's no reason to pound your chest like they're world beaters right now.

Also, it's hilarious to see you use the "if and buts/candy and nuts" counter, when half of your argument is "IF the east wasn't so deep" and "IF the Des Moines schools were smaller".

Originally posted by icu81222:

McKinney didn't come in until the third inning, and he gave up the two insurance runs. Nick Belzer started the game and got shelled.
Correct. Belzer had signed with Indiana State and Mckinney with Arkansas. So they scored nearly all of their runs off of 2 D-1 pitchers as I said.

Of the 7 pitchers for Ankeny who threw at least 24 innings, Belzer had the fifth-most innings pitched with 37. Of those same 7 pitchers, he had the lowest ERA at 2.65.

Of the four guys with more innings than Belzer, three had ERA's under 2, and all three of those guys are juniors (meaning they still have time to commit to a D-1 school, but haven't done so yet).

Numbers like that suggest Belzer is their #4 or #5. Good, sure, but far from their best.

Again, props to Clinton for earning the win and advancing. But you don't pound your chest and talk trash about how weak the west is when you're not beating their best. There's a big difference between belittling a win, and recognizing that there's no reason to talk trash.

The bottom line here is that suggesting the reason CIML schools win the title a lot is that the state somehow sets it up that way is ludicrous. You can argue that it's top-heavy all you want (I won't disagree there), but that doesn't mean the top teams lack talent. Ankeny returned a big chunk of their state championship team from a year ago. Only a fool would say they didn't have talent.
This post was edited on 8/1 6:41 PM by tm3308

You seem to be arguing with yourself.

Yeah, I'm sure Ankeny threw their #4 or #5 guy in the 2nd game of the state tournament.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

Stats don't always mean what you think they mean. Maybe he was injured during the season. Maybe he had a bad outing or 2. maybe he threw against the better teams. Lots of reasons for stats to look one way or the other. I haven't really looked into it very closely.

I did notice at the beginning of the year, Belzer started the 2nd game of the year. If I had to guess, the staff thought/thinks he has the 2nd best "stuff" on the team. Hence, the reason he was out there last night and the reason he has a D-1 scholarship. (they don't just give those out to just anyone)

You've kind of made a big deal out of nothing here and I'm not sure why you felt the need to even bring the topic up.

Clinton had a great night and beat Ankeny. Good luck to them

I did analyze the Ankeny pitching stats. You both make good points. I can see where I would have thrown Belzer before any of the other guys (Excluding McKinney) and I can see where I would throw the other guys over Belzer. Here is what I don't see. Why didn't McKinney start? You worry about Friday after you win Wednesday. You have to go with your ace, no question here. Throw in the fact that this is their last season as one school, and I believe you prolong that season as long as possible.

That's the question people are going to be asking for quite some time. He was obviously fresh enough to throw, there was no reason not to start him unless the coach was gambling.

Last I checked Sioux City Heelan is in the semis in 3A, and Sioux City East in the semis in 4A.

Good try though.

Does Clinton have a football team?

I can see why they would go with their #2 guy instead of mckinney, their ace.

He threw the first game and was only on 2 days rest, correct?

Therefore, I would throw my #2 guy and #1 is available for short use.

If you start #1, the chances of getting him through a long stretch may not be as good. You also have to worry about the innings pitched rule.

I would normally like to finish a game with my best guy if I have another guy(s) that have proven capable to get me through a good portion of the game.

The beauty of baseball ia that it doesn't always work out as planned or the way the statistics say it should.

Otherwise, we wouldn't even play the games.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

You can look at N Polk and Kuemper as an example.

N Polk didn't throw Hadaway but I am guessing he may have been the first one in if they needed him

Kuemper ended up bringing in Halbur because they had to.

I think the point is, especially the higher you get, teams rarely can ride 1 or even just 2 guys to get a title. You need a staff to get you through and I think that is what we are seeing
Posted from Rivals Mobile

True, but Halbur and Hadaway both threw in the quarterfinals on Monday. Teams typically throw their aces in the first round and then keep them as emergency relievers in the semis and hope to start them in the finals.

1A is the only class you can ride a single pitcher the whole way, and even that takes a pretty special kid to accomplish.

You should have stopped after your first post. Whoever you represent (it's not completely clear so far) you're not representing very well.

Terrehawk,
What are you talking about??? We are talking about game 1 of the state tournament. It was played on Wednesday for 4A, he threw the Friday before in the Substate game. McKinney could have and should have started. When you jump into a conversation, know the facts. Now, if it was game 2 on 2 days rest, you would be correct. However, you can't worry about game 2 until game 1 is done.

As dominated as 4A as has been by South/SW teams (As is should be), I can't help but point out that this year the North/NE is being represented well in the championship games in the other classes. Newman in 1A, Beckman in 2A, and Clear Lake in 3A. Newman knocked off TC, Beckman knocked off Roland Story, and Clear Lake beat Harlan. Excluding 4A, North Polk is the only remaining S/SW team.

Originally posted by OHS4life:
As dominated as 4A as has been by South/SW teams (As is should be), I can't help but point out that this year the North/NE is being represented well in the championship games in the other classes. Newman in 1A, Beckman in 2A, and Clear Lake in 3A. Newman knocked off TC, Beckman knocked off Roland Story, and Clear Lake beat Harlan. Excluding 4A, North Polk is the only remaining S/SW team.
That's not unusual, though. Beckman and Newman have been very good programs for years and are seemingly always in the semis/finals. North Polk, Assumption and Kuemper are also regulars. In fact, in Class 1A, I think Lenox was the first team from the SW part of the state to win the title in like 30 years when they won it in 2006.

The quality of play when you move west of Des Moines drops off pretty hard in all classes. There may be a couple teams that are tough, but overall the western third of the state isn't typically very good.

So, are Clinton and the MAC still taking over the state? Or is the dominance complete now?

Sioux City East beat Clinton, 6-1.

Feels Good Man!!!!
images

I don't think we will be hearing from this dude anymore.

Clinton got spanked.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT