ADVERTISEMENT

State Dual Match Up's

Originally posted by BKDevil:

Give another team a chance who may not have the same BS feelings that kids cannot wrestle four days in a row.
SE Polk Coach should have refused to compete two weeks ago instead of blowing up the tournament when he did.

Those two statements are conflicting and make no sense to me. The SE Polk coach that pulled out all his wrestlers from the duals did exactly what you ask for -- gave other teams a chance to win.

Originally posted by BKDevil:

SE Polk Coach should have refused to compete two weeks ago instead of blowing up the tournament when he did.
SEP used a predominantly JV team to beat #15 Lewis Central in the Dual regionals (?) on Feb 8. (58-16, I think). Also, at the BEGINNING of the season SEP coach told the wrestlers the plan for the dual and traditional meet...and stuck to his committment, to give as many wrestlers as possible the experience of wrestling at WF. Sounds to me like good coaching.

SEP lost three of the first four matches they wrestled this morning. The 152 came back with a pin so maybe the next four will win. Guess we will see in the end if his coaching strategy worked.

Originally posted by o2bahawk:
SEP lost three of the first four matches they wrestled this morning. The 152 came back with a pin so maybe the next four will win. Guess we will see in the end if his coaching strategy worked.

His coaching strategy was to give his wrestlers their best chance at winning at individual title. Whether they do or not of course can be Monday morning quarterbacked -- but there is no way anyone can convince me that the wrestlers that sat out the duals to stay fresh for their quest for an individual title would have been better served in their quest if they wrestled in the duals.

To me, he is doing it right. The most presitigious titles in the wrestling world are individual titles. Always has been. Just because the IHSAA did what they did in this scheduling does not change that fact. He is giving his guys the best opportunity to win that individual title. In my mind his strategy already worked, regardless of outcome.

Shame on IHSAA for bringing about a situation where such decisions were put on coaches and kids for that matter. Never should have happened. The coaches are not the villains here no matter what they decided. The IHSAA put them in a situation of asking "do you want me to cut off your right arm or your left leg?".

IF (for reasons passing understanding) they elect to keep this format next season, maybe make a couple of adjustments.
1 - You have the option to declare that do not wish to participate in the Duals Series, but you must do so prior to Sectionals or (in the case of 3A) Regional selection. There will be no sanction and no questions asked.
2 - If you do opt to participate in the Duals Series, the expectation is that you will wrestle both Regionals and State straight-up with as close to your regular line-up as possible.
3 - Eliminate the 5th-8th place meets. If you lose first round, you're done. If you win you can trophy to fourth.
See how this sits.

I certinaly hope that they do not keep the format the same next year, but if they do I think dadthecoach has some good suggestions although #2 is a little grey because how do you define as close to your regulr lineup as possible. #3 certainly makes all the sense in the world - didn't agree with the movement of the state dual meet and certainly didn't agree with having teams wrestle for 5th - 8th place.

Yeah, I guess #2 was kind of vague. What I was going for was something along the lines of bumping a kid up a weight to get a more favorable match-up, flip-flopping kids, the usual line-up juggling chess-match you do in a dual. Maybe dress 20 kids, if you want.

My main point is that if we're going to have Duals and we're going to have them on this ridiculous date, then have teams there that actually want to be there and will actually compete for the title. I'd have loved to have watched that Assumption/West Delaware meet last night! But if we're going to put coaches in the position of having to do this, let's at least make sure these coaches want their teams to be there, otherwise it's just a joke.

I think wrestling out to 8th place was a good idea..... if was after the Individual Tourney. It was a lot of travel expense for some teams to come and only wrestle once

Fish:

OK, I would go along with that on two conditions.
First, qualifying teams would then only be required to enter their Real State tournament qualifiers in two of the three meets.
Second, you buy one $10, All-Day ticket, you get a wrist-band, and you come and go as you please. The only reason the Association is wrestling out to 5th through 8th this year is so they can charge for three sessions at Duals. If they get to get a fourth day in Des Moines, they shouldn't be able to get rich off of it!

Bettendorf came to win the duals and they have won the individual tourney. 3 2A teams are within 1 point of one another as I write this Saturday afternoon. Two were 1st and 2nd in the duals. Denver-Tripoli is the other, and they finished 8th. NP an DB are in a close race in 1A. NP won the duals, DB finished 4th.

I'm not saying that scheduling the duals the day before the tourney is a good thing, but it's hard to look at the results and argue that it is costing anyone a title. Granted, NP did sustain an injury, but those things happen in practice and in P.E. class too. They may win anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT