ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-final games

Bluejay89

Freshman
Sep 11, 2016
OK, on to week three. Anyone want to have fun and make their predictions? Since none of us have really seen all the teams it will be interesting to hear everyones take on these games. I will say Western Christian and Regina will win and set up a rematch of last years game. I pick Regina because I will not bet against the champ and Regina is very good. I like Western Christian's offense and VM's defense. However, I think the Western Christian offense prevails. I look forward to seeing everyones opinion and I know they will be varied! That's the fun of it! In 7 days, we will all know!

Regina over Madrid by two TDs
WC over VM by one TD, which I base on absolutely nothing.

Having traded Dike NH for Denver this year, I see a lot of the same outcomes in the semifinals.

Regina will match up well with Denver, much like they did with DNH last year. Denver is big up front and relies heavily on the run game, but I think that is what Regina will have the most success shutting down. Defensively, I struggle to see Denver holding Regina to under 35 points. Denver is going to need the big, explosive play to stay in this game (like PC did and WC did in last year's final), and I don't see it happening.

WC/VM is definitely the better of the two semifinals. I have only seen the VM vs Madrid game on television and clips of WC, so I hope some of our friends from the west side of the state can provide some more detail on this matchup. Going to be a fun game to watch. Either way, sets up a great final!

Looks like I largely agree with you and for the same reasons. I, likewise, have not seen most of the other teams so base it on nothing but what I "think" I know. I have seen Denver and I think although they are good sized, I don't think they are as athletic as Regina. I think it will have to be a balanced team to beat Regina. Out of the remaining teams, I think WC fits that mold the best as they seem to be about 40% pass and 60% run.

Western had their hands full with Van Meter last year & only won by 1 score. Expecting another good game.
Offense can score in a hurry with lots of different weapons.
Defense uses speed over power & has been really good at pursuit all year.
Special teams has been the weak spot all year.
Skill positions have been great all year, but players to watch are #76 Fenchel, incredibly strong on the line & #57 Uittenbogard, leading tackler who's played second half of season with 1 hand (hopefully getting cast off soon).

Would love a rematch with Regina, but they both have big obstacles in their way.

Western had their hands full with Van Meter last year & only won by 1 score. Expecting another good game.
Offense can score in a hurry with lots of different weapons.
Defense uses speed over power & has been really good at pursuit all year.
Special teams has been the weak spot all year.
Skill positions have been great all year, but players to watch are #76 Fenchel, incredibly strong on the line & #57 Uittenbogard, leading tackler who's played second half of season with 1 hand (hopefully getting cast off soon).

Would love a rematch with Regina, but they both have big obstacles in their way.

Appreciate the insight. I know last year that was a great semifinal game, so excited to see the rematch. Especially interested to see how the VM defense holds up. I know they were pretty hyped all year for not allowing a td through most of the season, but I think that was partially their competition all year.
I think the biggest plus side for Regina is they came out of that dogfight with PC healthy. If there is a little bit of a hangover, then I think Denver keeps it close. But otherwise, I think the bigger obstacle preventing a Regina/WC rematch is Van Meter, moreso than Denver.

Agree. The schedule has made Western battle-hardened
They've now played 4 games against top 10 teams.
They know what it's like to play 4 quarters and being behind early won't freak them out.
I'm guessing the other 3 in the field haven't played as many games to the last whistle.

Agree. The schedule has made Western battle-hardened
They've now played 4 games against top 10 teams.
They know what it's like to play 4 quarters and being behind early won't freak them out.
I'm guessing the other 3 in the field haven't played as many games to the last whistle.

Western Christian played Boyden Hull- RV (#1 in 2A), West Lyon, and Hinton twice.
VM has played Madrid twice.

Definitely strength of schedule advantage to Western Christian there, but let's not forget that Regina played Xavier (#2 in 3A), Solon (quarterfinalist in 3A), SK, Wilton, and Pella Christian. So, I think it is clear that Regina and WC have played the toughest schedules, but I don't know if Western's is harder than that.

Denver is the one team in 1A that may be able to physically match up with Regina in the trenches, I am not sure though if that will be enough though. I think that Denver's style will keep them in the game but in the end Regina will make big plays and pull it off.

Van Meter vs. Western Christian is the classic battle of strengths, Van Meter's stingy defense vs. Western's explosive offense. My guess is that Western will pull out a close on in the end, as their offensive style will tire out VM's defense.

Stat-wise, Western & Van Meter look similar.
1 primary rusher & 3 WR's that have a lot of catches.

Same with Denver/Regina. Similar stats.

Expecting 2 good, but radically different semi-final games.

Denver is the one team in 1A that may be able to physically match up with Regina in the trenches

I'm not sure I agree with this completely. Yes, Denver has a good line and is very big up front. From what I have seen, I don't think they will have the athleticism to stay with the Regina DL/OL line. Regina is also big. Maybe not as big. However, the whole group is very athletic. Until Pella Christian put 8 in the box to stop the run, Regina was having their way with PC. I'm also not sure Regina will necessarily make big plays but they could. Denver's style could keep them in the game by keeping the clock running but if they are going to run the ball 85% of the time, I think this is advantage Regina. A team must be able to mix it up to beat Regina.

.. Denver's style could keep them in the game by keeping the clock running but if they are going to run the ball 85% of the time, I think this is advantage Regina. A team must be able to mix it up to beat Regina.
Always a risk with a ground pound team.
Get behind by a couple scores. Are you capable of scoring in a hurry if you get behind?
Nothing the secondary likes better than a running team that is suddenly forced to throw a lot.

Denver needs to get the lead & then hold it.
IMO, they will need a couple Regina miscues to do it.

Regina also has the benefit of being in the dome so often, the awe is gone & they can concentrate on the game.
Punt reception can be an adventure your first time in a domed stadium as well.

Reactions: RoundMound1
Denver has played in the dome the last two years so I don't see them being in aw of the place either. I didn't say that Denver's line is better than Regina's I just think that if any 1A team can come close to matching them in that area it will be Denver. I do know that Denver can not have costly turnovers like West Branch and DNH did last year , and Pella Christian had this year. Those are the 3 teams that I think had the best chance of stoping Regina's run, but had costly miscues (partly caused by Regina, there is no doubt about that) that prevented them from doing it.

Always a risk with a ground pound team.
Get behind by a couple scores. Are you capable of scoring in a hurry if you get behind?
Nothing the secondary likes better than a running team that is suddenly forced to throw a lot.

Denver needs to get the lead & then hold it.
IMO, they will need a couple Regina miscues to do it.

Regina also has the benefit of being in the dome so often, the awe is gone & they can concentrate on the game.
Punt reception can be an adventure your first time in a domed stadium as well.

I think if Denver wins this game, they model Xavier from week 1. Veer/misdirection to slow down the D-line and LBs, and break a few for 50+. To me, that is the only way I see Denver pulling this out, and I know they are big up front, but are they as skilled as Xavier?? That was a one-score game until the last possession. I like Denver to keep it close only because they will be able to work the clock and shorten the game, unlike the Pella Christian/Regina game, where Pella had 13 (?!) possessions I believe. But too much stregnth/athletic ability/coaching on both sides of the ball for the Regals in this semi.

I think if Denver wins this game, they model Xavier from week 1. Veer/misdirection to slow down the D-line and LBs, and break a few for 50+
I could be wrong but the difference here is that Denver does not have a Malaki Wilson. They seem to have a stable of capable running backs but no stud.

PNation,
I didn't say that Denver's line is better than Regina's I just think that if any 1A team can come close to matching them in that area it will be Denver. I do know that Denver can not have costly turnovers like West Branch and DNH did last year , and Pella Christian had this year.

Point well taken. I know where you are coming from. I also am not trying to say whose line is better. I think Denver has the size but I think Regina has the athleticism. IMO Regina will control the trenches in this game but I could be wrong. On the turnover front, turnovers would be deadly for Denver. Not going back to last year, but this year WB was a good team, just not a great one. They were overmatched against Regina. Pella Christian was a very good team. Had two studs who are game-changers. Although Kacmarynski is a great athlete, he was not a great passer. PC did turn the ball over a lot vs both Regina and SK. They could overcome SK but not Regina. I don't see Denver having an abundance of turnovers in this game but you are right, if they do, they will be in big trouble.

Regina just has too many weapons in all areas: running Volsteadt, Condon, Phillips receiving: Jenson, Rodgers, Bigbee, Feldman & Volstead again. defensively: all the same plus linemen & backers. Kicking: Steen looks to have grown into his roll as a kicker. . & lets not forget "divine intervention" :cool::eek:;)

CID, you have been quiet lately. Good to see WBBears has gotten you back on board! I was beginning to think you may have had a heart attack after PC put a scare into Regina.

CID, you have been quiet lately. Good to see WBBears has gotten you back on board! I was beginning to think you may have had a heart attack after PC put a scare into Regina.

Thank you for the concern, traveled to watch my oldest play his college game and taking part in an amazing tribute to a great man. Law enforcement was impressive in their support.

Reactions: Bluejay89
That had to be an emotional celebration of life. The pictures, themselves, are moving. Is a tragedy. Sure puts these high school football games in perspective. Understandable where your attention has been cid.

That had to be an emotional celebration of life. The pictures, themselves, are moving. Is a tragedy. Sure puts these high school football games in perspective. Understandable where your attention has been cid.

1,500 LEO's filing into the church to pay tribute to a great man was impressive.

Nice to have you back, and my condolences on the loss. Many have weighed in and most feel the Regina will likely win. Most feel that Western Christian will also win but have more difficult time with Van Meter. Interestingly, that would be a rematch of last years final. Does the Swami, also known as Cid, want to weigh in on his beloved Regals?

Hey Cid, where does your son attend college? Congrats to him on playing at the next level. I don't care where a kid is from its pretty impressive when you get that opportunity. Hard work pays off.

Nice to have you back, and my condolences on the loss. Many have weighed in and most feel the Regina will likely win. Most feel that Western Christian will also win but have more difficult time with Van Meter. Interestingly, that would be a rematch of last years final. Does the Swami, also known as Cid, want to weigh in on his beloved Regals?

I haven't gotten my scouting report yet. One of the Denver coaches told me they were big and liked to run the ball between the tackles. Waiting to hear what the film tells us.

I heard today that the QB that began the year is healthy and ready to return? Can any Regal fan confirm?

I heard today that the QB that began the year is healthy and ready to return? Can any Regal fan confirm?
I haven't heard that. I don't know if I would go away from Conlon right now anyways, with the sucess Regina has had using the Zone Read.

I haven't heard that. I don't know if I would go away from Conlon right now anyways, with the sucess Regina has had using the Zone Read.
I get your point. You don't want to upset the apple cart. I wondered if the Cubs would put in Schwarber for the same reason, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It seemed to work ok for the Cubs. I guess well see.

Just the one game, not a season long pounding. It was a close game so it made sense.
Vollstedt did get a lot of carries. But didn't he miss 3-4 games due to injury? If so, he can probably handle a heavier load to end the season.

Vollstedt did get a lot of carries. But didn't he miss 3-4 games due to injury? If so, he can probably handle a heavier load to end the season.

He sat out the three games leading up to the playoffs (and one game prior). He made his return against West Branch, but only needed 18 touches (16 rushes, 2 receptions) to score 3 TD's. So, he should be fairly fresh at this point compared to most.

Cidhawk,
I see an article on the Regina-Denver game in yourprepsports about the Denver line. When I saw them, I didn't think they looked all that athletic. However, they are very big. Previously you stated you were waiting for film report. Any thoughts on this yet? The Regina coaching staff was talking the Denver line up quite a bit.

Looks like Denver put together a playoff preview highlight video:

Can't link it for some reason, but just search Denver on Hudl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT