ADVERTISEMENT

SE Wrestling

Feb 7, 2012
SE has seven wrestlers going to Districts and should get 4 or 5 to STATE. The wrestlers which are currently ranked and one other guy by the name of linder. Watched him wrestle and he wrestled pretty good at sectionals.

Now that we are on the wrestling forum. What happened to the coach? And who will take over in the interim? Tough loss for SE as I know he has built that program up from almost nothing.

I dont know any of the details what happened and why he was let go? But i would think Carlson would take over the program for the rest of the year. It wouldn't make sense to bring someone that don't knows the kids. But I also heard mike sazalt as a possible coach.... Which has never coached the kids unlike the assistant carlson has.

SE is a basketball school and they have no idea about what they need in a head coach. Jim Allison was their best chance for sustaining a tradition at the school. He was the towns youth coach since the 70's and moved on after taking up the head coach job. Hundreds of area kids went to his practices over the years from a large radius around Fort Dodge.He never took credit for any of the success of the kids, only that he knew them from a young age. It is sad to see him go. If the school promotes the longest tenured assistant, they will be making a HUGE mistake.

Not good news for SE wrestlers or the fans. To get rid of a head coach who has been in the area coaching kids for many years and at SE for 10-15 years right before districts and replace him with a guy who has not been on the wrestling staff is not a good move at all. I am sure rumors are flying around Dodge. Whatever happened they better realize they are a small private school and to replace a guy with that experience and passion will be harder than they think. Hopefully it wasnt some parents agenda to oust him.

ISUbball,
Care to put your money where you mouth is, as they say? I will make you a deal. We can both drive to Fort Dodge, meet at St. Edmond, and ask the athletic director if Szalat has prior wrestling coaching experience at St. Edmond. Here is where it gets juicy. I will bring my checkbook and write you a check for $1000 if the answer is no. Are you willing to do the same if the answer is yes? Since you know the whole background, I am assuming you are. You name the date and time, I can make it work. Thanks.

I think some of you should wait before you make rash judgments. Let things get sorted out before you start complaining....unless of course you know the facts surrounding what happened.
lurk.gif

Mr. Szalat was named because no one on the staff can be named head coach since the program is under investigation. Most people around Fort Dodge know that Mr. Szalat is an interim coach until they get it all straightened out. He very well may have been on the staff before, but won't be the head coach.It will be extremely hard to find a person with Jim Allison's passion for the sport to put up with parents who think they know more than the coach, yet are unqualified to do the job. St. Edmonds has struggled before with poor head coaching. Look at the 80's and early 90's, they were pretty sad. They now have a good nucleus of kids that love the sport and for this to happen to the coach and the team at this time is tragic. I hope everyone involved can sleep at night.

Gaels got 4 guys through to state, placing 3rd in the team race at Districts.

Kaden McClintock, Teddie Harvey, Vinnie Harvey, and Patrick Linder. Vinnie was the only runner-up of the 4, losing to #4 Gunnar Clark of West Hancock.

Pretty good showing by the Gaels, though I'm sure they would've liked to get all 7 guys through.

Here's a look at their first round matches:

#5 McClintock (30-1) vs #7 Isiah Brandt, Sumner-Fredericksburg (40-6)

#9 T. Harvey (27-2) vs #10 Joshua Parker, Southeast Warren (34-7)

Linder (33-11) vs Trey Sander, EHK-Exira (37-6)

#6 V. Harvey (38-5) vs Josh Kriegel, Iowa Valley, Marengo (45-8)

wrasslin fan - hit the nail on the head. SE parents, kids, fans should be careful of what they wish for. Every person makes mistakes (not knowintg if he did anything wrong), but to get rid of a guy who has put his whole heart into wrestling like that and take it away is sad!!!!!

This is quite interesting. A long term coach fired right before the tourney. The word investigation is used but the coach has already been fired? Sounds like SE's investigation of whatever happened is already over.

The truth about what's going on will eventually come out. It always does. Anything bad enough which will get a long term coach fired at this point of the season when the school is enjoying greater than usual success will definitely pop up elsewhere.

SEXC 1 you've said you have a kid who rassles at SE so what's up? Who's this interim coach Szalat and will he be worth much for the kids who are going to state and suddenly are without coach?

ghost:
Unless I'm mistaken, se xc1 IS the interim coach. I know that Coach Szalat is St. Ed's cross-country coach, and that St. Ed's cross-country coach was appointed as interim coach. Adding two-plus-two comes up a pretty simple answer.
My understanding is that something happened, a parent threw a fit, the administration overreacted, and a week before State the whole program has been turned upside down.

Just a small point of contention, but doesn't the "Head Coach" have to attended or view an annual rules meeting for the sport they are the "Head Coach"? If the cross country coach, who used to be on staff, did not meet these requirements, what happens to the St. Edmonds wrestlers?

I've heard from a reliable source that Coach Szalat has some experience coaching wrestling. He was once a HS assistant for a year, and a MS assistant for 2 years.

I'm sure you guys can understand the main goal for them is to keep the kids' minds focused on wrestling, while the school handles this issue.

Tazz: Two calls just came in for you!
1 - St. Edmond's High School just called. They realized they were too stupid to actually check on that first, and since you're really smart, they want you to be their new athletic director.
2 - The IHSAA called too. Since you caught St. Edmonds because they were too stupid to, they really want you to replace Alan Beste.
Thank you, OH THANK YOU for your foresight, since obviously no one else had any.

Hey maybe Tazz is the guy we need to take over at the top to get those private schools in their own class like they should be!!!
wink.gif

Yeah, because they are all rich, they all recruit and they all give athletic scholarships. I coached for five years in Catholic schools....took about 10 minutes into the job to find out that none of those things were true.

Instead of posting like a bunch of teen-age girls have any of you actually asked the A.D. if this requirement was met. My reason for asking the question is because there are other people who have viewed or attended a WRESTLING rules meeting within their system that would meet the requirement. Before you start trashing someone, you should do some ground work.

I didn't really need to. The administration at St. Ed's is a little to smart to make a mistake like that. I don't need to ask stupid questions on a chat room to think they may not have done due diligence before they made this chance. Not to mention the fact, the IHSAA would not have OKed this change if there was a problem. You your head Tazz; do you really think people are that stupid? Or is it just you?

I have seen stranger things happen. I sincerly hope, for the wrestlers sake, everything was done accourding to I.H.S.S.A. policy. Schools do not have to contact the Association when making a coaching change. By the way dad, if you really feel compelled to calling me names, maybe I'm not the stupid one.

Actually,in this case, the state has to know who the head coach is for the State series, espeically in a situation like this. People are smarter than you think.

Originally posted by Tazzmann:
I have seen stranger things happen. I sincerly hope, for the wrestlers sake, everything was done accourding to I.H.S.S.A. policy. Schools do not have to contact the Association when making a coaching change. By the way dad, if you really feel compelled to calling me names, maybe I'm not the stupid one.
Soooo....what is your point?

I feel like you know something and aren't sharing with the class....because otherwise you wouldn't feel the need to ask such an inane question.

Just. sayin......
lurk.gif

SECX1 is the interim coach !!!!!! Wow am I embarrassed. Now I know how the Boss felt the other night at the Grammys!

I could care less if SE crossed the ts and doted every i. Plenty of coaches who have done all the paperwork and can't coach and visa versa.

What I want to know is what happened to cause SE to fire this coach. Actually SE fans and staff probably like all this bickering concerning was proper procedure followed. In light of all the problems that have happened this year in Iowa High School wrestling, it draws attention away from the question people should be asking.

A "Head Coach" MUST attend or view an on-line rules meeting for the appropriate sport. In an emergency situation the I.H.S.A.A. will waive that requirement. I'm shocked that DarkThunder and Dad didn't share this knowledge, unless they didn't .....

I am not sure about rules and such but I do know what happened in the SE wrestling room last week. Coach Allison had physically thrown a wrestler against the wall. I am not sure the details and in depth of the altercation, but I do know that the parents were not happy and went straight to the SE Staff and Administration. Also the program is under investigation not only for the incident at practice but also because of weight issues with a wrestler cutting weight for a meet a few weeks ago. This is just an insight to what I had heard happened. Please do not quote me on this, and I could be wrong. I am not sure if this is what you all were looking for and what is to happen when it comes down to rules and regulations with new coaches.

Originally posted by Tazzmann:
A "Head Coach" MUST attend or view an on-line rules meeting for the appropriate sport. In an emergency situation the I.H.S.A.A. will waive that requirement. I'm shocked that DarkThunder and Dad didn't share this knowledge, unless they didn't .....
I'm not shocked that you didn't answer my question as to why you're bringing this up.

If you don't know the answer to your "question" then no one else is gonna answer it for you.

Have fun with that.

Originally posted by ghost80:
SECX1 is the interim coach !!!!!! Wow am I embarrassed. Now I know how the Boss felt the other night at the Grammys!

I could care less if SE crossed the ts and doted every i. Plenty of coaches who have done all the paperwork and can't coach and visa versa.

What I want to know is what happened to cause SE to fire this coach. Actually SE fans and staff probably like all this bickering concerning was proper procedure followed. In light of all the problems that have happened this year in Iowa High School wrestling, it draws attention away from the question people should be asking.
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being Godzilla crawled out of Lake Michigan and 1 being the Super Bowl..........how much less could you care?

wink.gif

Is the 1-10 scenario ascending or descending? I really could care less about the Super Bowl although I really enjoy the super bowl parties. Now as far Godzilla crawling out of Lake Michigan I could really get into IF he crawled out at Chicago and wiped out the mecca of the Chicago Cubs AND Bears. I hate the Cubs cause they're pathetic losers and the Bears because they think they are decent but they too are pathetic losers. (If Godzilla wanted to make his way to Iowa CIty and flatten it too for an encore I'd really be a happy camper).

Thunder, how is the new coach holding up at the Well?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT