ADVERTISEMENT

Schedules?

It seems they state is scheduling some for competitive balance. I checked a team with 2 wins last year, they face ND teams that went 1-8, 4-5, 1-8, & 1-8 in 2017 (7-29 combined). Another one with 1 win faces 2-6, 6-3, 4-5, 1-8 (13/22 combined). Compared to Regina's 39-8 or Solon's 29-12.

And this is the problem with the new format. If you were a team with few seniors, you were going to be down. You were playing a bunch of sophomores last year, but finished the year 3-6. You've got a really good group of freshman that just weren't physically ready, but will be really good to go with those sophomores from last year.

You're going to get ND games with "competitive" teams...ie other teams that finished around 3-6 or 4-5. However, since you played so many young kids, you're going to be much better over the next two years. Some of these other teams don't get much better...so the state has picked that you're at a disadvantage against an "equal" team that has a more balanced class load.

On the flip side...teams that were senior dominated last year and went 8-1, but will struggle this year, are going to be matched up with teams that were 8-1 or 9-0 and trying to get back to the playoffs again.

This difference is more noticeable in small schools, where a program can go through wild swings depending on the classes they've got. Not uncommon in 8 man to see a program go from 3-6 to 7-2 to 9-0 and then back to 3-6.

They might as well name the non district opponents for everyone, that they accidentally released most of the schedules.

The annual Channel Seed AG bowl will be Waverly Shell Rock vs North Fayette Valley

I wouldn't put a ton of stock into those leaked schedules as some of those match ups that were posted above cant happen. What I mean is some districts have 4 NC games some have 3 and some two because of crossover districts and by looking at some of the ones posted some of the match-ups cant happen because I saw 1 team that had 3 ND games but can only have 2 and vice versa. What I do see is they seem to be back loading the sched to make the end of the season more interesting with who they think the top 4 teams are from each district.

I wouldn't put a ton of stock into those leaked schedules as some of those match ups that were posted above cant happen. What I mean is some districts have 4 NC games some have 3 and some two because of crossover districts and by looking at some of the ones posted some of the match-ups cant happen because I saw 1 team that had 3 ND games but can only have 2 and vice versa. What I do see is they seem to be back loading the sched to make the end of the season more interesting with who they think the top 4 teams are from each district.
If thats the case, It will be great way to end season with your toughest games!

Not just that, but ... I've been looking over some of the matchups from the first four weeks, and there's some obvious holes. Unless I've missed something because they were put in an odd district or something, Iowa City West has no game listed for Week 1, Linn-Mar doesn't have a Week 2 game, Cedar Rapids Prairie and Iowa City Liberty are nowhere to be found Week 4 ... so absolutely, take these with huge grains of salt. A lot of the leaked games are probably going to happen, but we don't know anything for sure.

That said, 2A Mt. Vernon might have themselves a heck of a schedule. Their prospective non-district games are Solon, Center Point-Urbana, West Delaware, and Maquoketa - all 3A opponents. And while CPU and Maquoketa aren't, shall we say, the class of 3A, Solon and West Delaware are among the top programs. (Meanwhile, Solon appears to trade out their traditional Regina game and play West Liberty instead, along with Mt. Vernon, Marion, and Davenport Assumption.)

I heard from a 8-man coach that there is a team that is dropping their program so they could be redistricting. This is why they moved the release date. Could it be Mormon Trail since all of their games are listed under District 0?

I heard from a 8-man coach that there is a team that is dropping their program so they could be redistricting. This is why they moved the release date. Could it be Mormon Trail since all of their games are listed under District 0?
Did Morman Trail even play last year? Not listed on quickstats as listing a team! Also, who would yhey share with if they went that route? Could possibly move another team down a class if 1A or larger.

They did JV only last year, school board decided in May or June of 2017. They would have only had 6 returning players for the 17 season, 2 so, 2 jr & 2 sr. Haven't been able to find any info on how the JV only season went.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT