ADVERTISEMENT

Round 1 Predictions

I just don't have much knowledge about the west side teams ... certainly not the far west siders. So SBL/Glenwood or Heelan/Harlan, I don't know (although I think I'd pick Harlan at this point).

I think Pella beats Webster City and Dallas Center-Grimes wins over Carlisle, so that sets up the second round rematch to give Pella a chance to avenge their loss - or have DC-G prove their mettle.

Xavier should handle Oskaloosa and Solon should beat Decorah. I actually have a feeling the visitors might take the other two games, with Washington over Assumption and Waverly-Shell Rock over West Delaware (in a repeat of WSR's first-round win last year). That would set up a couple of dandy games in the second round, with Washington at Xavier and WSR at Solon.

Interested to see how D1 does, especially against two tough D8 teams first round. It appeared that there was a lot of parity in D1 this season and for most of the season they seemed to be a tough district. But then Spencer loses to Algona and it raises some questions.

I think 3A top to bottom may be the toughest and most intriguing and not just in the playoffs either. That section of the bracket has four very legit and even teams in it.
It will be interesting. I agree, Some very tough teams in all of 3a

Glenwood (8-1) at Sergeant Bluff-Luton (9-0) Glenwood big
Bishop Heelan (7-2) at Harlan (9-0)
Harlan low scoring

Carlisle (8-1) at Dallas Center-Grimes (9-0)
Carlisle revenge
Webster City (8-1) at Pella (8-1)
Pella easily

Oskaloosa (6-3) at Cedar Rapids Xavier (9-0)
Xavier with ease
Washington (8-1) at Davenport Assumption (7-2)
Assumption rolls

Decorah (7-2) at Solon (9-0)
Solon D battle
Waverly-Shell Rock (8-1) at West Delaware (7-2
WSR in blowout

SBL
Harlan
DCG
Pella will be a tough out
CRX
Washington finally everybody back and healthy
Solon best team easy
WSR

harlan 24 heelan 10
gleenwood 14 sbl 10

i am probably wrong, my gut feeling

Last edited:
Maybe not easy but yes in State who you got?

I’d have Solon up there, along with Xavier or DC-G, and Pella, but I’m not sure if I’d say Solon easily wins. I guess you’ve clarified now that you wouldn’t necessarily say easy either, so I think we’re on the same page.

I’m not sure the Solon offense has seen a good defense this year and that keeps me from putting all of my chips in on them. The defense is the best in the state. I think if they face a solid defense and and an offense that doesn’t turn the ball over they could run into a situation they haven’t faced, and they may have trouble. Xavier could certainly be that team. It’ll take a solid defense with an offense that can grind it out and make some big plays and I can see Xavier doing so. Anyone that tries to run at Solon will have no chance, but Xavier has good coaching and may be able to set up some big plays. Again, the key will be not turning the ball over.

I think the champion will be the winner of the Xavier/Solon semifinal (obviously I’m predicting those two make the final four), but I think DC-G/Pella have solid teams that could also win.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigfridaynite
First Round
Glenwood at Sergeant Bluff-Luton
Heelan at Harlan

Carlisle at Dallas Center-Grimes
Webster City at Pella

Oskaloosa at Xavier
Washington at Assumption

Decorah at Solon
Waverly-SR at West Delaware

Quarterfinal
Glenwood
Harlan
Dallas Center-Grimes
Pella

Washington
Xavier
Waverly-SR
Solon

Glenwood at Sergeant Bluff-Luton: No clue about these far West teams, but I'll go with Glenwood here.
Heelan at Harlan: Again, no clue, but, I'll go with Harlan.

Carlisle at Dallas Center-Grimes: Dallas Center-Grimes
Webster City at Pella: Pella

Oskaloosa at Xavier: Xavier, but I look for Osky to be competitive.
Washington at Assumption: Toughest to choose.....give me Assumption here though.

Decorah at Solon: Solon
Waverly-SR at West Delaware: Waverly-SR

harlan 35 heelan 10
gleenwood 14 sbl 10

i am probably wrong, my gut feeling
I am going to take Heelan over Harlan in a minor upset.
I think SBL easily beats Glenwood.

Like you my friend, I am probably wrong as well. I'm a S.C. Guy so a bit jaded.
Excited for Harlan and Heelan

Glenwood at Sergeant Bluff-Luton: Glenwood
Heelan at Harlan: Harlan.

Carlisle at Dallas Center-Grimes: Carlisle
Webster City at Pella: Pella

Oskaloosa at Xavier: Xavier
Washington at Assumption: Washington

Decorah at Solon: Solon
Waverly-SR at West Delaware: Waverly-SR

Glenwood at Sergeant Bluff-Luton: Glenwood by 17! They have been playing some good football. Look for them to ground and pound all game long. SBL won’t be able to handle their physicality.

Heelan at Harlan: Harlan by 6. Terrible game in my opinion. Both squads are overrated.

Carlisle at Dallas Center-Grimes: Carlisle by 17. Carlisle seems to have hit their stride late in the season. DCG seems to have stayed the same.

Webster City at Pella: Pella by 10. I don’t know anything about Webster City.

Oskaloosa at Xavier: Xavier by 21. Xavier is too strong defensively for Osky. Did Osky’s #12 hurt his throwing hand? Watching my son’s Hudl he was playing WR against WBND after playing under center. Could be an interesting substitution this late in the season. My Saints roll....

Washington at Assumption: Assumption by 13. Washington is a dangerous team. Assumption playing too good of football right now. Watched them manhandle Marion last week.

Decorah at Solon: Solon by 17. They look impressive.
Waverly-SR at West Delaware: West Delaware by 1 on last second FG. WSR dream season comes to an end. [/QUOTE]

Glenwood at Sergeant Bluff-Luton: Glenwood by 17! They have been playing some good football. Look for them to ground and pound all game long. SBL won’t be able to handle their physicality.

Heelan at Harlan: Harlan by 6. Terrible game in my opinion. Both squads are overrated.

Carlisle at Dallas Center-Grimes: Carlisle by 17. Carlisle seems to have hit their stride late in the season. DCG seems to have stayed the same.
[/QUOTE]

Not a gambling man but I would like a piece of your action on Glenwood and Carlisle.

I will agree with you though about Harlan and Heelan.

Webster City at Pella: Pella by 10. I don’t know anything about Webster City.

Oskaloosa at Xavier: Xavier by 21. Xavier is too strong defensively for Osky. Did Osky’s #12 hurt his throwing hand? Watching my son’s Hudl he was playing WR against WBND after playing under center. Could be an interesting substitution this late in the season. My Saints roll....

Washington at Assumption: Assumption by 13. Washington is a dangerous team. Assumption playing too good of football right now. Watched them manhandle Marion last week.

Decorah at Solon: Solon by 17. They look impressive.
Waverly-SR at West Delaware: West Delaware by 1 on last second FG. WSR dream season comes to an end.
[/QUOTE]

You stated that Harlan is overrated --- what are you basing that on?

Last edited:
Did anyone go to the game last night? Was really surprised Heelan got beat so bad. They typically have a very good defense. Was their running back hurt?

No one who was a key player in the last few games was hurt. Harlan had a couple of good running plays, but other than that, they got the majority of their yards through the air. Heelan, who traditionally gets better as the season goes on, got (much) worse this year. They seemed completely disheveled on offense, and on defense, they left receivers wide open. That has been the theme throughout the year. If I were a casual, unbiased observer, I'd say that they didn't seem very well coached.

No one who was a key player in the last few games was hurt. Harlan had a couple of good running plays, but other than that, they got the majority of their yards through the air. Heelan, who traditionally gets better as the season goes on, got (much) worse this year. They seemed completely disheveled on offense, and on defense, they left receivers wide open. That has been the theme throughout the year. If I were a casual, unbiased observer, I'd say that they didn't seem very well coached.
Poorly coached more like just embarrassing. Hard to believe that is tolerated for three years at a school with such tradition but it is and will not get any better until there is a change.

What does next year look like for Heelan?
With that coach the same thing talented but underachieve. Miss the playoffs or just barely make it then get killed in playoffs. Poorly coached program from top on down. Runs same plays to same guys over and over even though they never work. Pass coverage is a joke sounded like Harlan had guys twenty yards wide open and no adjustments ever made. Program is a mess players and coaches fighting at practice and during games heard practices and workouts being skipped by senior players but play anywaywhile kids playing out of position while better players sit. Great program ran into the ground.

What does next year look like for Heelan?
This year's junior & sophomore classes are strong, so they have a lot coming back. No D1 RB (unless they can "recruit" one:) ), but lots of good athletes & plenty of size in both lines. Next year depends quite a bit on how hard they work between now & then.

Poorly coached more like just embarrassing. Hard to believe that is tolerated for three years at a school with such tradition but it is and will not get any better until there is a change.

The majority of parents & alums agree with that sentiment. There have been some pretty angry folks....this year particularly.
Given their roster, they should have been a lot better.

Contrast that with Harlan, who does things right. They had some nice size & a couple of good athletes in Foss & Sears, but beyond that, they didn't have a world beating roster. Just a workmanlike, solid team who is unbelievably well coached & prepared. Speaking of Bladt, you don't average ten wins a year for 40 years in a community that small by not being really resourceful & good at using what you have from year to year. He, by far, is the difference maker.

Last edited:
CC
cruhawk..u see my sister there? big crowd? i heard it was cold there...i am surprised how small harlan has got..when i was there, lot more enrollment....yea, bladt said foss is their weight lifting champ this year...unblelieveable how harlan has turned things around compared to last year, with bascially the same team

i started to listen to the heelan game on the heelan radio, but the guys too busy talking about other things, poor play by play...so i went to cyclone radio, much better..i was surprised how harlans passing game opened up last night, but schmitz did pass for 1600 yds last year...seemed like heelan did not have an answer for stopping it...the harlan cylones defense has been very good this year, espically at stopping the run... post missouri d1 hock working as assisstant coach this year has brought the cyclone defense up to another level, has helped tremendously...bladt even stated that. also, sounds like heelan has their problems, it will change sooner or later. heelan too proud of a program to let it continue, maybe have roger jansen return

Last edited:
You must have listend to SC radio they talk about everything but the game. The Catholic/Heelan radio is really good they know the game,players and coaches. They play a lot of ads but they do their homework. Listend to them all year and it was always good. Tough game for any Crusader to broadcast or even watch last night. Something got to change.

You must have listend to SC radio they talk about everything but the game. The Catholic/Heelan radio is really good they know the game,players and coaches. They play a lot of ads but they do their homework. Listend to them all year and it was always good. Tough game for any Crusader to broadcast or even watch last night. Something got to change.
you are correct, sc radio talk about food, pizza, their wives.....i thought it was a joke...what is the catholic radio signal???

i started to listen to the heelan game on the heelan radio, but the guys too busy talking about other things, poor play by play...so i went to cyclone radio, much better..i was surprised how harlans passing game opened up last night, but schmitz did pass for 1600 yds last year...seemed like heelan did not have an answer for stopping it...the harlan cylones defense has been very good this year, espically at stopping the run... post missouri d1 hock working as assisstant coach this year has brought the cyclone defense up to another level, has helped tremendously...bladt even stated that. also, sounds like heelan has their problems, it will change sooner or later. heelan too proud of a program to let it continue, maybe have roger jansen return

I actually thought we had a good change to win ( wow) Congrats to you guys you have a very solid well rounded team.

Even the opposing coaches know what Heelan problem is. Only ones that don't know are the coach himself and administrators that allow it to continue.

Reactions: cruhawk
Just tune in to FM 88.1, out of SC, if you're within range.
cruhawk...what is harlan,s field like since they put in astro turf...i quess everyone in the district now has it except for i believe creston

cruhawk...what is harlan,s field like since they put in astro turf...i quess everyone in the district now has it except for i believe creston

It looks great. The last time I was there was around 2010. It was a playoff game between Heelan and Harlan, and the field was a mess. I'm guessing they put it in 3-4 years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT