ADVERTISEMENT

Rankings for next year

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
I thought since we know who is playing in which classification and somewhat who is playing who, I thought it'd be fun to put together rankings for next year. These are more or less for conversation and I will say that this was harder to do then it was last year, with teams changing classes, and for the most part it seemed like a lot of the better teams last year lost a lot of talent. Most of this is done with the help of quikstats so they are up for debate.

4A
1. Dowling
2. Johnston
3. Cedar Falls
4. Valley
5. Waukee
6. Cedar Rapids Prairie
7. Ankeny
8. Bettendorf
9. Centennial
10. Southeast Polk

It basically has turned to Dowling versus everyone else, I would say that Johnston has the best chance to challenge them, followed by Cedar Falls, but I really don't see anyone beating Dowling. Valley is at #4 out of tradition, Waukee was relatively young last year, Prairie has had good success under their coach, Ankeny was also young, Bettendorf out of respect for the program, same with Centennial, and SEP returns enough to be ranked.

3A
1. Xavier
2. Lewis Central
3. Solon
4. SBL
5. Pella
6. West Delaware
7. Webster City
8. Washington
9. Norwalk
10. North Scott

Xavier is the champ and I feel that they return enough to stay the favorites, Lewis Central is a serious challenger though dropping down from 4A with a bunch of talent. Solon loses some people up front but returns a lot of their skill players, SBL was very good last year and also returns quite a but, Pella out of respect for the program, but they do bring back a few pieces, West Delaware brings back QB, leading rusher, and leading receiver and are always in the playoffs, Webster City always reloads, Washington loses some key pieces but playing a sophomore QB last year will help them come back, Norwalk I felt underachieved last year and has a nice nucleus coming back, and North Scott is kind of a wildcard coming down always a solid 4A program.

2A
1. BHRV
2. Williamsburg
3. PCM
4. Mount Vernon
5. Clear Lake
6. SE Valley
7. Roland Story
8. Sioux Center
9. Union
10. Greene County

I really feel like it is BHRV's title to lose, they bring back a lot off of a good team and should get through NW Iowa pretty easily, Williamsburg brings back their stud RB, PCM was a young playoff team, Mount Vernon should role through their district but it will be interesting what life after Drew Adams is like, Clear Lake has DeVries back at QB, SE Valley was very young and came on late, Roland Story should battle with Union for the district title although Benton coming down from 3A could be interesting, Sioux Center I feel is a good team that just won't get past BHRV, and Greene County I put in the ranking because I feel like they might just win that SW Iowa district.

1A
1. DNH
2. Regina
3. Wilton
4. West Sioux
5. Pella Christian
6. West Branch
7. Emmetsburg
8. Van Meter
9. Mediapolis
10. Osage

The top 2 teams I have are in the same district which seems crazy but I think they are the top two teams DNH was very young with a bad senior class last year and made the playoffs in 2A, Regina is Regina, Wilton was very good and very young last year, but I am not sure they can make up 35 points on Regina, West Sioux moves up with a championship and a QB returning but lose enough to drop them to #4, Pella Christian seems to reload and have pieces back, West Branch was probably a year ahead last year, but also have a much tougher district this year, Emmetsburg I am taking #2 out of their district because of what they have coming back, Van Meter loses quite a bit but they have been consistent for the last decade and should come out of their district, Mediapolis seems to be bringing a lot back, and Osage is maybe a stretch, but they played a bunch of sophomores last year in 2A.

A
1. Hudson
2. IKM-Manning
3. Alburnett
4. Lynnville Sully
5. AHSTW
6. Ridge View
7. Lo-Ma
8. West Hancock
9. Belle Plaine
10. HMS

Hudson brings back enough that I think we will see them deep in the playoffs and I don't feel comfortable picking against them right now, IKM-M brings back quite a bit off of their playoff team, Alburnett was young and was angry about missing out last year so I see them making another step forward, Lynnville Sully is always consistent and is easily the best in their district, AHSTW was a very good 1A team the last 5 years or so, Ridge View brings back a D1 lineman and much of their skill players, Lo-Ma seems like the class of their district, as does West Hancock plus you have to respect their tradition, I like Belle Plaine out of a weak district, the same with HMS.

8Man
1. Don Bosco
2. Fremont Mills
3. Ar-We-Va
4. HLV
5. Stanton
6. Lone Tree
7. Moravia
8. EHK
9. Turkey Valley
10. Woodbine

I follow 8 man the least, but I took a stab anyway, Don Bosco will probably be the favorite as long as they have a football program. Fremont Mills brings back quite a bit off a team that came on late, Ar-We-Va seems like the could be very good being a good team that was just behind two very good teams last year. HLV seems like they have the best chance to meet Don Bosco in the semis, Stanton was good last year but couldn't compete with FM, Lone Tree is a quality team that maybe could challenge HLV to get to the dome, Moravia returns a lot off of a playoff team, EHK was young last year, Turkey Valley was young and has tradition, and Woodbine was very young last year.

I thought since we know who is playing in which classification and somewhat who is playing who, I thought it'd be fun to put together rankings for next year. These are more or less for conversation and I will say that this was harder to do then it was last year, with teams changing classes, and for the most part it seemed like a lot of the better teams last year lost a lot of talent. Most of this is done with the help of quikstats so they are up for debate.

4A
1. Dowling
2. Johnston
3. Cedar Falls
4. Valley
5. Waukee
6. Cedar Rapids Prairie
7. Ankeny
8. Bettendorf
9. Centennial
10. Southeast Polk

It basically has turned to Dowling versus everyone else, I would say that Johnston has the best chance to challenge them, followed by Cedar Falls, but I really don't see anyone beating Dowling. Valley is at #4 out of tradition, Waukee was relatively young last year, Prairie has had good success under their coach, Ankeny was also young, Bettendorf out of respect for the program, same with Centennial, and SEP returns enough to be ranked.

3A
1. Xavier
2. Lewis Central
3. Solon
4. SBL
5. Pella
6. West Delaware
7. Webster City
8. Washington
9. Norwalk
10. North Scott

Xavier is the champ and I feel that they return enough to stay the favorites, Lewis Central is a serious challenger though dropping down from 4A with a bunch of talent. Solon loses some people up front but returns a lot of their skill players, SBL was very good last year and also returns quite a but, Pella out of respect for the program, but they do bring back a few pieces, West Delaware brings back QB, leading rusher, and leading receiver and are always in the playoffs, Webster City always reloads, Washington loses some key pieces but playing a sophomore QB last year will help them come back, Norwalk I felt underachieved last year and has a nice nucleus coming back, and North Scott is kind of a wildcard coming down always a solid 4A program.

2A
1. BHRV
2. Williamsburg
3. PCM
4. Mount Vernon
5. Clear Lake
6. SE Valley
7. Roland Story
8. Sioux Center
9. Union
10. Greene County

I really feel like it is BHRV's title to lose, they bring back a lot off of a good team and should get through NW Iowa pretty easily, Williamsburg brings back their stud RB, PCM was a young playoff team, Mount Vernon should role through their district but it will be interesting what life after Drew Adams is like, Clear Lake has DeVries back at QB, SE Valley was very young and came on late, Roland Story should battle with Union for the district title although Benton coming down from 3A could be interesting, Sioux Center I feel is a good team that just won't get past BHRV, and Greene County I put in the ranking because I feel like they might just win that SW Iowa district.

1A
1. DNH
2. Regina
3. Wilton
4. West Sioux
5. Pella Christian
6. West Branch
7. Emmetsburg
8. Van Meter
9. Mediapolis
10. Osage

The top 2 teams I have are in the same district which seems crazy but I think they are the top two teams DNH was very young with a bad senior class last year and made the playoffs in 2A, Regina is Regina, Wilton was very good and very young last year, but I am not sure they can make up 35 points on Regina, West Sioux moves up with a championship and a QB returning but lose enough to drop them to #4, Pella Christian seems to reload and have pieces back, West Branch was probably a year ahead last year, but also have a much tougher district this year, Emmetsburg I am taking #2 out of their district because of what they have coming back, Van Meter loses quite a bit but they have been consistent for the last decade and should come out of their district, Mediapolis seems to be bringing a lot back, and Osage is maybe a stretch, but they played a bunch of sophomores last year in 2A.

A
1. Hudson
2. IKM-Manning
3. Alburnett
4. Lynnville Sully
5. AHSTW
6. Ridge View
7. Lo-Ma
8. West Hancock
9. Belle Plaine
10. HMS

Hudson brings back enough that I think we will see them deep in the playoffs and I don't feel comfortable picking against them right now, IKM-M brings back quite a bit off of their playoff team, Alburnett was young and was angry about missing out last year so I see them making another step forward, Lynnville Sully is always consistent and is easily the best in their district, AHSTW was a very good 1A team the last 5 years or so, Ridge View brings back a D1 lineman and much of their skill players, Lo-Ma seems like the class of their district, as does West Hancock plus you have to respect their tradition, I like Belle Plaine out of a weak district, the same with HMS.

8Man
1. Don Bosco
2. Fremont Mills
3. Ar-We-Va
4. HLV
5. Stanton
6. Lone Tree
7. Moravia
8. EHK
9. Turkey Valley
10. Woodbine

I follow 8 man the least, but I took a stab anyway, Don Bosco will probably be the favorite as long as they have a football program. Fremont Mills brings back quite a bit off a team that came on late, Ar-We-Va seems like the could be very good being a good team that was just behind two very good teams last year. HLV seems like they have the best chance to meet Don Bosco in the semis, Stanton was good last year but couldn't compete with FM, Lone Tree is a quality team that maybe could challenge HLV to get to the dome, Moravia returns a lot off of a playoff team, EHK was young last year, Turkey Valley was young and has tradition, and Woodbine was very young last year.

Interesting you left CBSA off your top 10 for class A. Reasoning?

Interesting you left CBSA off your top 10 for class A. Reasoning?

They lost almost everything off of last years team, yes they are a traditional power, but with they lose, and having a new staff I think that they take a step back this year, not saying that they can't compete for the playoffs but I would say that AHSTW is the favorite to win the district.

Your way off on class A, you dont have St Ansgar or South Winn but yet you have Alburnett. Not sure what you know about Alburnett but they are by far not a top 10 team and they lost their best players that was 90% of their offense and they were not young as you stated. Heck in class A all teams are considered young because they play a ton of sophmores because of numbers. They may not even be the best team in the new district. You said you liked Belle Plaine and HMS out of a weak districts, does that make them a top 10 team because they are in a weak district?

Last edited:
Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
St. Ansgar will be good and I strongly considered them, but the senior class they loss was dominate, and they lose almost everyone up front, and honestly don't have the size that they have had in the past. South Winn I also think will be good but they relied so much on Rodney Schwartzhoff last year. Alburnett may be a stretch at 3 but they were in the 1st year of a new system and return a QB and a few other athletes.

For the same reason you didn't use South Winn because everything ran thru schwartzhoff is the same reason you shouldn't have ALB as everything ran thru Sloan, without him they are 500 at best.The reason they were successful last yr was they ran the single wing spinner back and nobody on this side of the state was prepared for it or knew how to defend it. Now everyone has multiple game films on them and knows what to expect as all they have to do is watch the films of the teams that beat them in districts to know how to stop it.

More 2A teams to consider-Spirit Lake, Benton, Forest City, GHV

More 1A teams to consider-Cascade, Bellevue, AP, Denver

Dike New-Hartford will be very good moving down to 1A.

Regina will be down some next year. They lacked depth last year and lost a lot of their big play makers.

Cascade could easily be in the top ten

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT