ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Predictions #2

I also thought only the top 8 district champs hosted 1st round. L-S & Newman will travel & ED-CO will have a home game. Maybe if ED-CO loses their last game Newman will leapfrog them. BGM will be on the road.

I also thought only the top 8 district champs hosted 1st round. L-S & Newman will travel & ED-CO will have a home game. Maybe if ED-CO loses their last game Newman will leapfrog them. BGM will be on the road.

I know that Belmond-Klemme can't win the district and I don't have them as the district champ, put an asterick by their name by accident. As for hosting, I thought hosting will come down to RPI and not district champs as in many classes there are more district champs than playoff pairings. I was under the assumption that the only thing guaranteed by being a district champ is making the playoffs. I could be wrong on that.

I went back and looked and the RPI will be used to determine site assignments for first round contests.
When a district champion plays a district champion, the district champion with the highest RPI will be the home team.
When a district champion plays an at-large qualifier, the district champion will be the home team.

Last edited:
Only the bottom 2 district champs in
RPI will have to travel the other 8 will host according to ihsaa site... it is based off RPI but only for champs when determining host sites.

Thanks for the update and I looked even more into it and I have updated all my predictions.
Personally I think Wapsie beats Grundy, which would mean Wapsie at Garrigan, and I believe West Hancock beats Belmond-Klemme, which would have them playing at Hinton. Other than that, I concur with your assessment.

I can understand the decision between Grundy and Wapsie as they have battled their opponents pretty similarly (Hudson maybe one exception, although in watching that game it should have been closer than what it was), but West Hancock versus Belmond-Klemme? Curious what the thought process is there. As far as common opponents go...
North Union- WH 47-8; BK 39-14
Graettinger- WH 41-0; BK 23-0
West Fork- WH 47-6; BK 21-14
Garrigan- WH 14-28; BK 20-22 (slight advantage BK here, but the other three games West Hancock was quite a bit better.

BK has home field. Are there injury things I don't know about? Curious...

FYI Here are the scores between Wapsie and Grundy Center common opponents - amazingly similar! Should be a good battle with huge implications!
North Tama- WV 26-33, GC 26-34
BCLUW- WV 53-0, GC 56-6
GMG- WV 39-0, GC 38-0
East Buc- WV 21-18, GC 42-22
Hudson - WV 20-24, GC 21-55

Grundy out scored opponents by 24 points but Wapsie Valley gave up 43 less points to the opponents I would say it comes down to GC offense vs WV defense and who performs better I’m guessing 7pt diff one way or the other

Grundy out scored opponents by 24 points but Wapsie Valley gave up 43 less points to the opponents I would say it comes down to GC offense vs WV defense and who performs better I’m guessing 7pt diff one way or the other

Wapsie by 13 as I think they stuff the run of Grundy and force them to throw more than they like. I also think they may jump North Tama in the RPI because of strength of sched as NT will dip a little more even with a win vs a 2 win BCLUW team as the last 3 weeks of Postville, GMG and BCLUW does not help their RPI. I think both teams were a little beat up after last weeks games so hopefully they are both at full strength.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
I too like WV by 13, for exactly the reasons you mention. Unfortunately, assuming North Tama wins (which is almost a sure thing), and Wapsie wins, and NT opponents go 3-6 on the week (GMG will get the forfeit against Starmont even though BCMoore has Starmont favored) and Wapsie's opponents go 4-5 (as predicted by BCMoore), then NT will edge WV in RPI .6099 to .6061.

I too like WV by 13, for exactly the reasons you mention. Unfortunately, assuming North Tama wins (which is almost a sure thing), and Wapsie wins, and NT opponents go 3-6 on the week (GMG will get the forfeit against Starmont even though BCMoore has Starmont favored) and Wapsie's opponents go 4-5 (as predicted by BCMoore), then NT will edge WV in RPI .6099 to .6061.
What if wapsie opponents go 5-4? Then how close is it? and from a post above I do not think wapsie will go to garrigan first round if they make it. Seems extreme to me at 150 miles for a 1st round game but could happen

What if wapsie opponents go 5-4? Then how close is it? and from a post above I do not think wapsie will go to garrigan first round if they make it. Seems extreme to me at 150 miles for a 1st round game but could happen
Wouldn’t make a difference. Basically 1/81 of a difference.

I’d hate to see Wapsie and Garrigan have to play each other in the first round. Both way to good of teams to be playing in the first round. I see Us playing possibly Newman in the first round. It makes sense geography wise, and exact Rpi ( 2 vs 15)

I’d hate to see Wapsie and Garrigan have to play each other in the first round. Both way to good of teams to be playing in the first round. I see Us playing possibly Newman in the first round. It makes sense geography wise, and exact Rpi ( 2 vs 15)
On where everyone goes I think will be if the state is staying true to rpi or is district champs going to be ranked 1-10. I wouldn’t think they would do that but who knows. I agree with you that wapsie and garrigan shouldn’t be a first rounder game both too good but state hasn’t done wapsie any favors the last few years lol usually giving us a crazy tough game first round. To me though 2 n half hr drive makes me think we won’t see it least 1st round. Also wapsie needs to take care of business 1st n then we can complain about playoff match ups lol

You cant just figure your opponents record for tonight at 5-4 or 4-5 you also have to factor in your opponents, opponents record also. Thats another big issue with the RPI , yes in non district play you may get from the state who you asked for but not everyone does and for that matter ever will and as far as your opponents opponents record that is also a RPI factor we have a big FAT ZERO say in that. We have no idea our opponents schedule until they come out so how can we sched what we think would be a good RPI sched without knowing. Yes and before someone says well its the last factor and it doesn't mean as much as the first two, if it didn't matter it wouldn't even be in there in the first place.

I can see why you may think that Britt is better. And I too think Britt will win tonight but I think Comparing scores against bad teams probably isn’t a good indicator of who’s better. First compare head to head ( haven’t played yet ) then compare common opponents against SOLID teams such as Garrigan. Then look at injuries and see if that affected any games. Then look at scores against bad teams. I remember my freshmen year of high school we’d beat the breaks off teams then our JV squad would come and give up 2 touchdowns

You making the trip to algona if they play Garrigan next week hope it doesn’t happen but if so?

You making the trip to algona if they play Garrigan next week hope it doesn’t happen but if so?
I thought I read something to the effect that the State in its wisdom wasn't going to have in district matchups in the 1st round. But I don't know.

Iron Doc, being senile, replied to a post not directed to him.
Does Westview Care Center have an opening?

Sorry doc that was for go panthers we don’t need to play Britt a 3rd year in a row in first 2 rounds lol
I thought I read something to the effect that the State in its wisdom wasn't going to have in district matchups in the 1st round. But I don't know.
or

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT