ADVERTISEMENT

Pella the best team in Iowa?

The original post asked if Pella was the best team in the state this year. I think that most fair minded people would admit that if Pella 2015 played Dowling 2015, Pella would be crushed. Not even sure Pella is the best team in 3A.
what makes you not sure if Pella is the best team in 3a? Is it the 25 game win streak? Or the utter destruction of every team they have played so far? Anyway all sarcasm aside I would like to know who you think is better than Pella?

what makes you not sure if Pella is the best team in 3a? Is it the 25 game win streak? Or the utter destruction of every team they have played so far? Anyway all sarcasm aside I would like to know who you think is better than Pella?

well considering there are some teams left, we will soon see?

yes, oonfoofoo but to this point i see no reason Pella shouldn't be considered the number one team in 3a. Do you have a team you think is better?

The original post asked if Pella was the best team in the state this year. I think that most fair minded people would admit that if Pella 2015 played Dowling 2015, Pella would be crushed. Not even sure Pella is the best team in 3A.

Are you sure Dowling is the best team in 4A?

is there any possibility we can put this topic to bed? Lets just all agree that the Dutch are the best team in the state, any class:) Hell they may be the best team to ever take the field in Iowa H.S. History. I think we've beat the hell out of this dog!

is there any possibility we can put this topic to bed? Lets just all agree that the Dutch are the best team in the state, any class:) Hell they may be the best team to ever take the field in Iowa H.S. History. I think we've beat the hell out of this dog!

Bring up a new topic for discussion so we can move on.

yes, oonfoofoo but to this point i see no reason Pella shouldn't be considered the number one team in 3a. Do you have a team you think is better?

Sure...here's some that are up there

Assumption
DCG
Decorah
Norwalk
Sergeant Bluff
Webster city
West Delaware

Sure...here's some that are up there

Assumption
DCG
Decorah
Norwalk
Sergeant Bluff
Webster city
West Delaware
hmm well Pella has already beat two of those teams pretty easily, but it makes sense to think that Norwalk and DCG are better than Pella. Good job.

hmm well Pella has already beat two of those teams pretty easily, but it makes sense to think that Norwalk and DCG are better than Pella. Good job.

What the crap are you talking about? Week 2? Week 3? Holy crap haven't we seen enough teams this year come through and either beat the teams they lost to or beat teams they weren't supposed to?

SHUT UP ALREADY AND STOP HOMER

Reactions: TNTSCHEIDS
What the crap are you talking about? Week 2? Week 3? Holy crap haven't we seen enough teams this year come through and either beat the teams they lost to or beat teams they weren't supposed to?

SHUT UP ALREADY AND STOP HOMER
Yeah but Pella didn't just beat these teams. They crushed them by like at least three scores lol

Um saw dowling LC last night and um......Pella not even close....Ok now close this
Did you really see it or are you just saying that? LC wasn't that great... I do think Dowling is the best in the state now that playoffs have started they have found another level, but Bettendorf looks the same way. I still believe that Pella could compete with all of the final 4 teams though. When I say compete I mean they could stay within 3 TD's of each routinely and beat them occasionally.

Dowling would destroy them and anyone else they play. If I were the Dutch I would be worried about 3 A and SGt Bluff not Dowling. Also keep in mind I believe LC had a running clock on SBL giving them thier only loss of the season, use that as a guage as you ponder your success in 4A.

Also If LC isn't very good what does that say for Ankney, Urbandale and Johnston ( the first 2 teams lost to LC and the other won 7-0)? Lets be real and admit that Dowling is in a class by themselves which does not include the DUTCH.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNTSCHEIDS
I don't think there is any question that Dowling is better then Pella and that is perfectly fine. This horse has been beaten to death. I agree that Pella will have their hands full in the 3A class. I'm awfully sure that the Pella coaches and players could care less if they can beat 4A teams or not, because it doesn't matter.

Did you really see it or are you just saying that? LC wasn't that great... I do think Dowling is the best in the state now that playoffs have started they have found another level, but Bettendorf looks the same way. I still believe that Pella could compete with all of the final 4 teams though. When I say compete I mean they could stay within 3 TD's of each routinely and beat them occasionally.

Yup, parked behind the motor home that was parked behind the visitor side fence. Also, bought more coffee than should be allowed and by the way....Des Moines East folks that worked...it's cold and old guys need coffee so you should have more than two barrels ready to go...I digress...

I was impressed at how they switched QBs. Does anyone know where Walding might be going next year? He throws a good ball and looks to be pretty smart for only playing one full year.

The O Line is good and I haven't seen any other teams in 4A left but I hope they have good D Lines and LB because if not toast. That's where Pella would not be able to hang.

You know what I am really disapointed in with all of the football I have seen this year.....LB play is horrible. I haven't seen a dominating LB this year and as a matter of fact over the past few years. Nobody wants to lay anyone out....and they can't read? Coaches teaching to read backs at the 4A level...really?

Anyway, was there, left about 1/2 way into 3rd quarter and one other thing I noticed....Dowling fans outnumbered LC about 5 to 1....is there that many more students there or just a great following....by the way this is only the 3rd game I have ever seen Dowling play and I think this is a very solid team....That little Zachary kid(not 23) can fly and #4 holy crap...I saw him make breaks on receivers that I haven't seen in any CB in a few years.....little and I would think he might struggle at D1 with bigger receivers but he could make a good return guy and CB at lower levels if he goes on...

So yeah I was there and did I forget to mention Pella is middle of the road 4A at best.

did I forget to mention Pella is middle of the road 4A at best

After seeing what Dowling, Valley, and Kennedy have been doing the last couple weeks I'll agree that Pella is probably not a better team than either of these three. But calling them "middle of the road" is a stretch. I would put Pella right behind these three, and maybe behind Bettendorf as well.

The bottom half of 4A in Iowa is really not overly impressive. I think these teams would be competitive in 4A. Not necessarily for a title this particular year, but I certainly think they would contend for a spot in post-season discussion.

Pella
West Delaware
Xavier (even though they got upset in the playoffs)
Spirit Lake
IC Regina (when healthy. They're not right now.)

Last edited:
Dowling is plenty good, and is rated by Max Preps at 245th in USA. That's pretty good in my book. And they have certainly proven they are a large fish here in Iowa 4A. But, I suspect in the Chicago Catholic League, competing against Loyola Academy and Brother Rice, et al, they might be regarded as fairly average in that pond. If they were to "play up" against the upper eschelon of Chicagoland (and other larger cities) public schools, Lord have mercy. Dowling might win a game here or there, but would most likely find it difficult to compete week in and week out against those big boys. And, I'm very certain the supporters of top programs around the country in 5A/6A/7A/8A would ardently shout down any little ol' Iowa 4A squeaking about their quality.

Can a really good 3A team compete in 4A? Sure they could. Contend for the title? Maybe occasionally, but mostly not...shades of gray, on a given day, when the moon is just right, maybe. One thing is for sure, the mere speculation sure makes for a lot of bluster and prideful clamor on both sides, doesn't it?

Dowling is plenty good, and is rated by Max Preps at 245th in USA. That's pretty good in my book. And they have certainly proven they are a large fish here in Iowa 4A. But, I suspect in the Chicago Catholic League, competing against Loyola Academy and Brother Rice, et al, they might be regarded as fairly average in that pond. If they were to "play up" against the upper eschelon of Chicagoland (and other larger cities) public schools, Lord have mercy. Dowling might win a game here or there, but would most likely find it difficult to compete week in and week out against those big boys. And, I'm very certain the supporters of top programs around the country in 5A/6A/7A/8A would ardently shout down any little ol' Iowa 4A squeaking about their quality.

Can a really good 3A team compete in 4A? Sure they could. Contend for the title? Maybe occasionally, but mostly not...shades of gray, on a given day, when the moon is just right, maybe. One thing is for sure, the mere speculation sure makes for a lot of bluster and prideful clamor on both sides, doesn't it?
Yup, parked behind the motor home that was parked behind the visitor side fence. Also, bought more coffee than should be allowed and by the way....Des Moines East folks that worked...it's cold and old guys need coffee so you should have more than two barrels ready to go...I digress...

I was impressed at how they switched QBs. Does anyone know where Walding might be going next year? He throws a good ball and looks to be pretty smart for only playing one full year.

The O Line is good and I haven't seen any other teams in 4A left but I hope they have good D Lines and LB because if not toast. That's where Pella would not be able to hang.

You know what I am really disapointed in with all of the football I have seen this year.....LB play is horrible. I haven't seen a dominating LB this year and as a matter of fact over the past few years. Nobody wants to lay anyone out....and they can't read? Coaches teaching to read backs at the 4A level...really?

Anyway, was there, left about 1/2 way into 3rd quarter and one other thing I noticed....Dowling fans outnumbered LC about 5 to 1....is there that many more students there or just a great following....by the way this is only the 3rd game I have ever seen Dowling play and I think this is a very solid team....That little Zachary kid(not 23) can fly and #4 holy crap...I saw him make breaks on receivers that I haven't seen in any CB in a few years.....little and I would think he might struggle at D1 with bigger receivers but he could make a good return guy and CB at lower levels if he goes on...

So yeah I was there and did I forget to mention Pella is middle of the road 4A at best.
Assumption played both Bettendorf and Pella this year. There's no doubt that all of Knight nation would agree that Pella was the better of the two teams

I have never seen the Dutch play, I have no family members on the team, I know no one that lives in Pella. That being said since this post keep going on and on I hope the Dutch get the beating of a life time. Congrats to all who have turned many against this team. Worry about the class your in or ask the state to put you in 4A. Good luck to anyone that plays Pella.

Last edited:
There is no way that 3A teams could consistently compete against 4A. It's a numbers game... 4A is there for a reason...they have the numbers...3A doesn't have the numbers.

Saying that 3A could compete with 4A is like saying 2A can compete with 3A and 1A and blah blah.
Didn't IC Regina beat Solon and compete with Xavier? Why is it so ridiculous to say that Pella would compete with the top 4A teams?

Didn't IC Regina beat Solon and compete with Xavier? Why is it so ridiculous to say that Pella would compete with the top 4A teams?

1) depth
2) speed
3) size
4) strength
5) see #1
6) see #1
7) see #1

Just stop already. Maybe on a cold night, when the moon is 1/1200 full, the rain is blowing in from the west, the snow is blowing in from the north, Santa Claus and the Easter bunny get together and have kid, werewolves, vampires and zombies all come out of hiding, pigs fly and jesus returns to the earth.....maybe when all of these fictitious events take place, then just maybe the fictitious event of any 3A, 2A, 1A, A, 8 man, 4 man, 18 man teams competing with the top of 4A will happen...until then all of it is just fictitious...

Is Friday here yet?

1) depth
2) speed
3) size
4) strength
5) see #1
6) see #1
7) see #1

Just stop already. Maybe on a cold night, when the moon is 1/1200 full, the rain is blowing in from the west, the snow is blowing in from the north, Santa Claus and the Easter bunny get together and have kid, werewolves, vampires and zombies all come out of hiding, pigs fly and jesus returns to the earth.....maybe when all of these fictitious events take place, then just maybe the fictitious event of any 3A, 2A, 1A, A, 8 man, 4 man, 18 man teams competing with the top of 4A will happen...until then all of it is just fictitious...

Is Friday here yet?

You would be mistaken, it doesn't happen on a consistent basis or even an occasional basis but it does occur. I have seen teams that have #1-4 at a level comparable to 4A teams. Go through an entire 4A season? Maybe, maybe not but matched up it would have been a battle.

I'm a 3a guy and think very high of Pella But IMO I would be surprise if any more then 5 or 6 kids on the pella roster would start or get playing time on the top 4a teams.i have no way to know this for a fact that's just my opinion

Last edited:
I'm a 3a guy and think very high of Pella But IMO I would be surprise if any more then 5 or 6 kids on the pella roster would start or get playing time on the top 4a teams.i have no way to know this for a fact that's just my opinion
Looks like Glidden Ralston could compete at 1A and even 2A - don't know what they are going to do about those other 3 guys though.

Glidden Ralston is going to lose this semifinal game unless they pull out a miracle...?

Marcus-Meriden-Cleghorn 35, Glidden-Ralston 21 – 2:57 4th Quarter

Norwalk is now moving up to 4A. I think they should be playing Dowling without a doubt...unless Seargeant bluff comes back or West delaware wins or pella wins.

If there is really a god my prayers will be answered

I finally got to watch the Dutch play and can now say without a doubt that Dowling would hurt them... running clock without question!

^^^Agreed, but I still think that some people here underestimate the ability of schools from lower classes in recent years to beat the best in 4A. Particularly '08/09 Solon, '10/'13 Regina, '08 Heelan, and '14 Pella. All of these schools would have had a very legitimate shot at a 4A title. But I do agree that Dowling and Kennedy are the two best teams in the state this year.

Yeah... I started this thread having not seen Pella and simply posing the question based on scores they were putting up. I watch the Dutch against Norwalk and I think Pella would be a Fort Dodge type of team in 4A. They could pummel the average and below average teams, but can't hang with the big boys. They would get pushed around by any of the decent bigger lineman teams in 4A.

Pella's '14 team was much more physical and imposing on the lines than this year, but this year's team was more explosive. Pella will not be nearly as good next year anyway. This group of seniors ended up 39-1 over last 3 years ending with the streak and 2 state championships, so they will obviously be missed. Last year's line could've physically competed with about all 4A teams, but not this year's. But, still plenty good to compete and succeed in 3A.

After watching the machine we all know as "Dowling" I think we all can agree now that this post was NUTS. Dowling along with the top 8 teams in 4A (year in and year out) would put a serious hurt on Pella.

4A this year was to much for the Dutch! However good run in 3A.

Reactions: ghost80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT