ADVERTISEMENT

Ottumwa coach to Bondurant

Growing 3A school with first class facilities, versus a small and shrinking (slightly) 4A school that will struggle to be truly competitive with the top 4A schools. Even though it is a step down in class I think it is a step up in quality of job.

http://www.ottumwacourier.com/sports/high_school_sports/ottumwa-s-pfantz-verbally-accepts-position-at-bondurant-farrar/article_442f448e-dd50-11e4-bea8-276ac2df420f.html

It seems like a strange move but I don't know what the ceiling is if EVERYTHING went right in a year at Ottumwa.

Family is a big issue here as well, I thought that he was a West Marshall grad but wasn't sure, and being 20 minutes from home had to be a big part in the decision

"It seems like a strange move but I don't know what the ceiling is if EVERYTHING went right in a year at Ottumwa."

Luke

On a year in and year out basis, I think Ottumwa's ceiling is probably 7-2 with no major injuries. IMO the local folks do care about their football program. They renovated their field-house several years ago, and try to maintain their natural grass field so that it is acceptable by late October. I think that long term, their district schedule will be rigorous with the two Cedar Rapids public schools plus Iowa City High/Muscatine every year now. But yes, Ottumwa faces the same issues that communities their similar size and demographics face in Iowa...which is gradually shrinking enrollment. I think they struggle to find kids that will play football to fill a required large 4A roster. I think their county needs to look at school consolidation...which is a very unpopular subject in rural Iowa.

Ottumwa has to develop football players since they are an isolated 4A school. They are not going to get an infusion of talent year after year like the growing suburban schools in Central Iowa. But I think they are committed to having winning high school football there and will try to find the best head football coach candidate that can make that possible.

"It seems like a strange move but I don't know what the ceiling is if EVERYTHING went right in a year at Ottumwa."

Luke

On a year in and year out basis, I think Ottumwa's ceiling is probably 7-2 with no major injuries. IMO the local folks do care about their football program. They renovated their field-house several years ago, and try to maintain their natural grass field so that it is acceptable by late October. I think that long term, their district schedule will be rigorous with the two Cedar Rapids public schools plus Iowa City High/Muscatine every year now. But yes, Ottumwa faces the same issues that communities their similar size and demographics face in Iowa...which is gradually shrinking enrollment. I think they struggle to find kids that will play football to fill a required large 4A roster. I think their county needs to look at school consolidation...which is a very unpopular subject in rural Iowa.

Ottumwa has to develop football players since they are an isolated 4A school. They are not going to get an infusion of talent year after year like the growing suburban schools in Central Iowa. But I think they are committed to having winning high school football there and will try to find the best head football coach candidate that can make that possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT