ADVERTISEMENT

Nov. 2 Quarterfinal Scores, Comments

Cedar Falls 40 - Waukee 7, Final
Cael Loecher to Logan Wolf for school record 98-yard TD pass.

Streaming video link to the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldtimefootball
West jumped out 11-0 quickly, but it's been all Bettendorf since. Bulldogs have been pretty dominant on both LOS.

Cedar Falls putting the beat down on Waukee. Tigers are the best team in the state, Logan Wolf the best WR in the state. UNI is getting an absolute steal there.

Reactions: franky1967
Cedar Falls 27 - Waukee 0, Halftime.
Cael Loecher to Logan Wolf for school record 98-yard TD pass.

Streaming video link to the game.

If that was a 98yd TD pass, that is a CF UNI Dome and CF playoff record. The school record if I remember was set in 1969.

The radio announcers keep saying 91yds?

I saw the play. Definitely 98 yards. Definitely school record according to CFU 15 TV crew.

I saw the play. Definitely 98 yards. Definitely school record according to CFU 15 TV crew.

It wont be a school record, CFU is wrong. The Alltime Record is 99yds. However it is CF UNI Dome and Playoff record.

Thanks for verifying that

Surprised the games are so one-sided. The cream comes to the top at this time of the year.

Not so surprised CF won tonight. VERY surprised at the magnitude of the score. Was expecting something more like a 28-21 score. Instead, CF discovered another gear they hadn't played with all year on BOTH offense and defense. CF absolutely manhandled Waukee in the trenches, and the skill players were a total mismatch for the Waukee defense with their height (particularly Loecher and Wolf). Waukee looked like they were trying to double team Logan Wolf, which opened up the ground game for Sam Gary to go for 225 yards and a couple scores. And Wolf still went 5 receptions for 126 yards and a couple scores. The thing that may have impressed me most was that for the first time all year, CF had no penalties, after being fairly heavily penalized for most of the year.

Last edited:
Final Scoreboard:
Bettendorf 43, Iowa City, West 28
Cedar Falls 40, Waukee 7
Dowling Catholic, West Des Moines 31, Valley, West Des Moines 9
Southeast Polk 21, Johnston 7

Surprised the games are so one-sided. The cream comes to the top at this time of the year.

I was Suprised on the CF/ Waukee and Bettendorf/IC West game. I thought they would both be a TD or less game that was going either way.

Looking at the Western Side Offenses, just about all of thrm surpassed 3000 yds of total offense, where only a few of the Eastern teams managed so

Not so surprised CF won tonight. VERY surprised at the magnitude of the score. Was expecting something more like a 28-21 score. Instead, CF discovered another gear they hadn't played with all year on BOTH offense and defense. CF absolutely manhandled Waukee in the trenches, and the skill players were a total mismatch for the Waukee defense with their height (particularly Loecher and Wolf). Waukee looked like they were trying to double team Logan Wolf, which opened up the ground game for Sam Gary to go for 225 yards and a couple scores. And Wolf still went 5 receptions for 126 yards and a couple scores. The thing that may have impressed me most was that for the first time all year, CF had no penalties, after being fairly heavily penalized for most of the year.

You are right, been a long time since CF has not been penalized in a game. I have been totally at a loss for words at Cf's play calling on both sides of the ball.

They dont seem to be a consetvative team by any means

You are right, been a long time since CF has not been penalized in a game. I have been totally at a loss for words at Cf's play calling on both sides of the ball.

They dont seem to be a consetvative team by any means

CF's defensive line worked over Waukee's O-Line. It was a mismatch. You knew Waukee would try to get outside except for the QB draws. CF has too much defensive speed and Jack Campbell helps... ;). Tate Johnson was superb.

There just wasn't anything there for Randall and his receivers let him down a bunch of times. The TD was under thrown and against a cold second string, who is otherwise strong.

The O-Line was as impressive as any game this year. CF had a few issues off the edge early, but they got that fixed. The Waukee coach and players seemed to not be worried about the size mismatch with CF prior to the game. I suppose they feel differently this morning.

Dowling is clicking at the right time. SEP's defense is looking like something no one in the Metro has seen. Anxious to see someone from the East play someone from the Metro competitively. Last time the title game was even competitive was what, 2012?

By what definition of metro? CF has played 4 former CIML (Ankeny, Ames, Waukee, Indianola) teams this year. None have stayed within 3 TD’s.

By what definition of metro? CF has played 4 former CIML (Ankeny, Ames, Waukee, Indianola) teams this year. None have stayed within 3 TD’s.

Ankeny High - Come on....let's be real. They were amped up to play Valley a couple weeks back. Very subpar team.

Ames - They aren't in the Metro.

Indianola - Again....be real. 6-4 and every legit team they faced they were beat. They beat Mason City, Ottawa, FD, Lincoln, Hoover, and Norwalk...that isn't exactly Murder's Row.

Waukee - Very solid win. Although Waukee (in my opinion) is the 6th best team in the Metro.

Centennial, Valley, Dowling, SEP (currently), and Johnston are the top 5 teams in the Metro.

Hypothetically speaking (in my opinion) Centennial, Valley, and Dowling are better than CF. I think SEP will stay competitive for awhile and then CF will tack on a late score to send it to a two possession win. I believe CF is 10+ points better than Johnston.

Every district/area has bad/subpar teams. Please don't think because CF beat the lower end of the Metro, that it means the Metro's top end talent isn't better than CF.

I guess we will get to see soon enough!

I just hope we get to see some great football! Good luck to CF!

CF's defensive line worked over Waukee's O-Line. It was a mismatch. You knew Waukee would try to get outside except for the QB draws. CF has too much defensive speed and Jack Campbell helps... ;). Tate Johnson was superb.

There just wasn't anything there for Randall and his receivers let him down a bunch of times. The TD was under thrown and against a cold second string, who is otherwise strong.

The O-Line was as impressive as any game this year. CF had a few issues off the edge early, but they got that fixed. The Waukee coach and players seemed to not be worried about the size mismatch with CF prior to the game. I suppose they feel differently this morning.
Ankeny High - Come on....let's be real. They were amped up to play Valley a couple weeks back. Very subpar team.

Indianola - Again....be real. 6-4 and every legit team they faced they were beat. They beat Mason City, Ottawa, FD, Lincoln, Hoover, and Norwalk...that isn't exactly Murder's Row.

Waukee - Very solid win. Although Waukee (in my opinion) is the 6th best team in the Metro.

Centennial, Valley, Dowling, SEP (currently), and Johnston are the top 5 teams in the Metro.

Hypothetically speaking (in my opinion) Centennial, Valley, and Dowling are better than CF. I think SEP will stay competitive for awhile and then CF will tack on a late score to send it to a two possession win. I believe CF is 10+ points better than Johnston.

Every district/area has bad/subpar teams. Please don't think because CF beat the lower end of the Metro, that it means the Metro's top end talent isn't better than CF.

Well you can take Valley and Ank. Cent. off the list as being better than Cedar Falls otherwise they would still be playing next week.

Reactions: CF_93
Dowling is clicking at the right time. SEP's defense is looking like something no one in the Metro has seen. Anxious to see someone from the East play someone from the Metro competitively. Last time the title game was even competitive was what, 2012?

I think you sound like an SEC fan when you say someone from the metro when you just mean Dowling. So, yes, Dowling has dominated.

Ok, well to most observers, it's hard to tell whether "metro" means CIML, or the city of Des Moines proper, as in DM Lincoln, Hoover, East, North, or Roosevelt. Those 5 teams have not historically been among the class of Iowa HS football to put it as mildly as can be done.

And @CFTigers68 - Agreed on both posts! lol

Also, FWIW, CF has historically enjoyed their share of success against teams currently or formerly in the CIML.

Ames - CF leads 13-8
Ankeny - CF leads 1-0
Ft. Dodge - CF leads 20-14
Indianola - CF leads 1-0
Marshalltown - CF leads 18-12-1
Mason City - CF leads 25-12-1
Newton - CF leads 8-2
Urbandale - CF leads 2-1
Waukee - CF leads 1-0
WDM Dowling - CF leads 4-3
WDM Valley - Series tied 2-2

Ok, well to most observers, it's hard to tell whether "metro" means CIML, or the city of Des Moines proper, as in DM Lincoln, Hoover, East, North, or Roosevelt. Those 5 teams have not historically been among the class of Iowa HS football to put it as mildly as can be done.

Also, FWIW, CF has historically enjoyed their share of success against teams currently or formerly in the CIML.

Ames - CF leads 13-8
Ankeny - CF leads 1-0
Indianola - CF leads 1-0
Newton - CF leads 8-2
Urbandale - CF leads 2-1
Waukee - CF leads 1-0

Thats putting it mildly and it is not to offend the other schools either.

I think most anyone would, considering they are five-time defending champs and get all the metro press. They have lost twice. CF is legitimate.

I agree as well, any team can be beaten on any given night. But why would you want to wager, just because they are the defending State Champions?

Being The Defending State Champs in 4A State Boys Badketball didnt help IC West win another State Title last year

Reactions: CF_93
Some of those same players from the State Championship basketball team are leading this football team as well. They know how to win.

Some of those same players from the State Championship basketball team are leading this football team as well. They know how to win.
Plus it helps that they are D-1 athletes. ;), but this is 100% correct. Three of the O-Line are getting D-II offers or NAIA. Frericks should be getting more looks. Not sure about Tate Johnson, but he’s damn good.

I agree as well, any team can be beaten on any given night. But why would you want to wager, just because they are the defending State Champions?

Being The Defending State Champs in 4A State Boys Badketball didnt help IC West win another State Title last year

Not me. But can understand why.

Well you can take Valley and Ank. Cent. off the list as being better than Cedar Falls otherwise they would still be playing next week.

What does Valley and Centennial losing have to do with them being better than CF? I've seen all three of those teams play, I personally don't think CF is better than Centennial or Valley. You do. Fair enough.

Ames - CF leads 13-8
Ankeny - CF leads 1-0
Indianola - CF leads 1-0
Newton - CF leads 8-2
Urbandale - CF leads 2-1
Waukee - CF leads 1-0

The "Metro" consists of the Des Moines Metropolitan area. Which most people think would be the City of DSM as well as the metropolitan area (Johnston, Urbandale, WDSM, Ankeny, Indianola, Waukee, and Altoona). You are correct, the Metro has some very subpar teams, but they also have some juggernauts.

In reference to your listings of CF's record against the mentioned teams, kudos to them. But to say over the last 20 years that the Metro has dominated 4A football might be the biggest understatement over those 20 years.

The Metro has won 14 of the last 20 Titles. 3 teams from the Metro has won a title in the last 7 years. The depth of the Metro is unparalleled in the State.

Again. All I want is competitive games so everyone can enjoy great football. I will state again, CF vs SEP will be somewhat competitive and CF will tack on a score to win by 2 possessions. Dowling is peaking at the right time. I think they will handle Bettendorf by 2 possessions. I think CF vs Dowling will also be competitive but Dowling will ultimately prevail.

Good luck to everyone!!

What does Valley and Centennial losing have to do with them being better than CF? I've seen all three of those teams play, I personally don't think CF is better than Centennial or Valley. You do. Fair enough.

The "Metro" consists of the Des Moines Metropolitan area. Which most people think would be the City of DSM as well as the metropolitan area (Johnston, Urbandale, WDSM, Ankeny, Indianola, Waukee, and Altoona). You are correct, the Metro has some very subpar teams, but they also have some juggernauts.

In reference to your listings of CF's record against the mentioned teams, kudos to them. But to say over the last 20 years that the Metro has dominated 4A football might be the biggest understatement over those 20 years.

The Metro has won 14 of the last 20 Titles. 3 teams from the Metro has won a title in the last 7 years. The depth of the Metro is unparalleled in the State.

Again. All I want is competitive games so everyone can enjoy great football. I will state again, CF vs SEP will be somewhat competitive and CF will tack on a score to win by 2 possessions. Dowling is peaking at the right time. I think they will handle Bettendorf by 2 possessions. I think CF vs Dowling will also be competitive but Dowling will ultimately prevail.

Good luck to everyone!!
Follow money and enrollment, and that is where you'll see the dominance in 4A. It is not in Des Moines, mind you. Cedar Falls does well, but not Waterloo West or East. Xavier, Kennedy, Bettendorf, but seldom the other CR schools or Davenport or Muscatine. It's not rocket science. City High is a shell of its former self and IC West will be decimated by Liberty. That's just the way it is. It all goes in cycles.

Again, I’ll grant Dowling, and to a lesser extent Valley. But during that same period you cite, teams coming from central/Western Iowa OUTSIDE the city of West Des Moines are 1-4 in championship games. It’s a bit like the ACC hanging on the coattails of Florida State or Clemson, while the rest of the conference is a basketball conference. There’s a virtual cliff-drop after those two teams. There’s no even distribution of championships there. As far as I’m concerned, after those top two, none of the rest have proven a thing. Florida State and Clemson have, just as Dowling and Valley have. Marshalltown and SEP each got housed, while Ankeny split a pair.

During the first 28 years of the playoffs, no less than 9 teams from eastern Iowa won 22 championships.

Reactions: makelovenotwar
Again, I’ll grant Dowling, and to a lesser extent Valley. But during that same period you cite, teams coming from central/Western Iowa OUTSIDE the city of West Des Moines are 1-4 in championship games. It’s a bit like the ACC hanging on the coattails of Florida State or Clemson, while the rest of the conference is a basketball conference. There’s a virtual cliff-drop after those two teams. There’s no even distribution of championships there. As far as I’m concerned, after those top two, none of the rest have proven a thing. Florida State and Clemson have, just as Dowling and Valley have. Marshalltown and SEP each got housed, while Ankeny split a pair.

During the first 28 years of the playoffs, no less than 9 teams from eastern Iowa won 22 championships.

The way you discuss Valley is comical. Valley could only be considered to a "lesser extent" when compared with Dowling. Since 2002 Valley has won 5 titles....more than anyone else in the state not named Dowling. Since 2000, Valley has won more titles than the entire Eastern part of the state (Bettendorf x2, IC High, and Xavier).

But this is all trivial. Valley and Dowling are usually two of the best teams in the state and are matched up in the quarters. It's a joke....but it's life.

I am hoping SEP can bring home the title. I would love to see a different Metro team bring it home. I wouldn't mind seeing CF win their first state title in football in quite a while. I just don't see them beating Dowling.

Im Dya

Good luck to everyone!!

Good luck to everyone!!

Follow money and enrollment, and that is where you'll see the dominance in 4A. It is not in Des Moines, mind you. Cedar Falls does well, but not Waterloo West or East. Xavier, Kennedy, Bettendorf, but seldom the other CR schools or Davenport or Muscatine. It's not rocket science. City High is a shell of its former self and IC West will be decimated by Liberty. That's just the way it is. It all goes in cycles.

That pretty much sums it up. For instance, if looking at the QCA metro area if Bett & PV were a consolidated school (comparable enrollment to Valley) the FB team would be more than "competitive", as would a consolidated Davenport Assumption & Rock Island Alleman (though smaller still than Dowling's enrollment). The disparity in enrollment and resources are going to continue. The question is, does it matter enough to do anything about it and what would it be?

I think CF/ Valley would be a great game. I think Cedar Falls has the talent to play with Ank. Cent. as well. You Stated both were better, I only said if thats the case why sre they not playing next week?

Good luck to everyone!!

That pretty much sums it up. For instance, if looking at the QCA metro area if Bett & PV were a consolidated school (comparable enrollment to Valley) the FB team would be more than "competitive", as would a consolidated Davenport Assumption & Rock Island Alleman (though smaller still than Dowling's enrollment). The disparity in enrollment and resources are going to continue. The question is, does it matter enough to do anything about it and what would it be?

Honestly I think the State is lucky Waterloo East just dropped a class. The Waterloo Schools already have just one swim team.

Even dropping a class is not helping East and may never help. West/East Combined would be hard to stop

Yeah....we can speculate all day on what "could" happen and who could be "competitive".....but we don't know.

I think the glaring issue that the State needs to figure out is how separate parochial schools from public schools in terms of athletics.

Yeah....we can speculate all day on what "could" happen and who could be "competitive".....but we don't know.

I think the glaring issue that the State needs to figure out is how separate parochial schools from public schools in terms of athletics.

Is there even enough 4a Schools in Parochial to have there own Classification?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT