ADVERTISEMENT

New Pods

Not sure how geography plays a part when you have a school making an almost 2hr 30 min drive, but like with anything the state will do what they want to do no matter what they say.

Wapsie got screwed for winning that coin flip! Lisbon,... then if you survive, Regina...wow... the state must have it out for you guys.
Kind of how it feels lol. Newman, lisbon, Regina just to get to the semis and your a district champ. Then get there and pry get Grundy in the semis. Seems to be the trend for the state and Wapsie the last few years, tough roads always

Kind of how it feels lol. Newman, lisbon, Regina just to get to the semis and your a district champ. Then get there and pry get Grundy in the semis. Seems to be the trend for the state and Wapsie the last few years, tough roads always

Let’s not cry too much for Wapsie . 16 teams left. You’re supposed to have 1’s and 2’s from various districts at this point. Pretty much what the pods have delivered.

Reactions: IGo42
Wapsie Valley is just getting to experience what it was like in District 6 with Lisbon and Regina ahead of them.

Wapsie got screwed for winning that coin flip! Lisbon,... then if you survive, Regina...wow... the state must have it out for you guys.

Not sure Wapsie's road to the Dome is any tougher than Pod D. That has two undefeateds (EdCo and St Ansgar) and two 1-loss teams (SW and MFL). If you were a SW or MFL you'd most likely have to beat two undefeateds on the road to get the chance to play Grundy or Regina! Explain how Wapsie getting a HOME game against a 6-2 team is tougher than that?

The playoffs aren't supposed to be a cake walk? I don't think you want to take MFLs spot in POD D. Or play Grundy the next round in pod A. Take your home playoff game and quit crying. To be the best you have to beat the best.

@Pinehawk Alburnett has found a way to win some games, but this one shouldn't be close, right?

I honestly don't know that much about them, other than looking through their quikstats and game results.
I know they have a great athlete at QB in Caves.
I'm sure they will be tough, but I think their defense will have a hard time stopping the Regina offense.

No one said it should be a cake walk. But matchups matter.

Who has Ed-Co played that's good to prove that they're an unstoppable force? The only good team they have played this year was Alburnett and the game went 7-0. The same Alburnett that MFL beat 35-13 the week prior. They're undefeated, yes, but my guess is MFL wins by double digits. Wapsie already beat MFL this year in a dogfight.

St. Ansgar is a good team, arguably top 4, but they're not on the level of Regina. So yeah, I'd think they would actually have a chance to win Pod D. In fact, I think Lisbon would possibly win pod D. They have 2 losses, one being to Regina after losing their starting QB/FS the day before the game and one loss the week before that to 2A playoff qualifier West Liberty by 2 pts after picking up the game after school on a Friday afternoon when N. Cedar cancelled late due to COVID. In that game their RB/MLB went down with a broken leg on the first drive. If they played in Ed-Co's district, they go undefeated.

So yeah, I'm sticking with my opinion that Wapsie got a bad draw as a district champ. But time will tell. Gotta play the next one on the schedule.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Not sure Wapsie's road to the Dome is any tougher than Pod D. That has two undefeateds (EdCo and St Ansgar) and two 1-loss teams (SW and MFL). If you were a SW or MFL you'd most likely have to beat two undefeateds on the road to get the chance to play Grundy or Regina! Explain how Wapsie getting a HOME game against a 6-2 team is tougher than that?
Wapsie played a 6-2 team in Newman last round, maybe factor that in as well bud. Everyone else had bunch of gimme games

Coin flip doesn't make you a district champ. Point spread how they used to do it would have gone to MFL, South Winn 2nd, Wapsie 3rd. Pool D is the toughest pool by any measure. Newman was good, but not great. They were lucky to play Lake Mills without Bacon (best linebacker in class A).

Coin flip doesn't make you a district champ. Point spread how they used to do it would have gone to MFL, South Winn 2nd, Wapsie 3rd. Pool D is the toughest pool by any measure. Newman was good, but not great. They were lucky to play Lake Mills without Bacon (best linebacker in class A).

I think you are right. I heard that the coin flip was not To determine the district champ. The coin flip was to determine who got the most seeding points the next round, 2nd most, etc. regardless, WV gets a home game, and a tough row to hoe. No one wanted to draw Grundy or Regina in their pod.

No one said it should be a cake walk. But matchups matter.

Who has Ed-Co played that's good to prove that they're an unstoppable force? The only good team they have played this year was Alburnett and the game went 7-0. The same Alburnett that MFL beat 35-13 the week prior. They're undefeated, yes, but my guess is MFL wins by double digits. Wapsie already beat MFL this year in a dogfight.

St. Ansgar is a good team, arguably top 4, but they're not on the level of Regina. So yeah, I'd think they would actually have a chance to win Pod D. In fact, I think Lisbon would possibly win pod D. They have 2 losses, one being to Regina after losing their starting QB/FS the day before the game and one loss the week before that to 2A playoff qualifier West Liberty by 2 pts after picking up the game after school on a Friday afternoon when N. Cedar cancelled late due to COVID. In that game their RB/MLB went down with a broken leg on the first drive. If they played in Ed-Co's district, they go undefeated.

So yeah, I'm sticking with my opinion that Wapsie got a bad draw as a district champ. But time will tell. Gotta play the next one on the schedule.

I think you're giving Lisbon a little too much love. Could they win Ed-co /alburnett district? maybe. but they wouldnt steam roll either of those two. I was not impressed (solid, but not great, was expecting to see more) with Lisbon when I saw them early. Ed-co played Alburnett in heavy rain most of the night, which kept score closer than it probably should have been. But they are not as good as the last two ed-co teams. MFL is better than both. So Wapsie leaving that pod maybe a benefit to them. It sounds like Wapsie has athletes and they always have solid line play, so take your shot at home with Lisbon, and then probably Regina, rather than the devil they do know.

everyone here pretty much agreed the top 5-6 teams were clustered in North Central -Eastern Ia (Grundy, StA, regina, WV, MFL, Britt) and it was going to be a mess trying to sort them out with playoff brackets .

I think you're giving Lisbon a little too much love. Could they win Ed-co /alburnett district? maybe. but they wouldnt steam roll either of those two. I was not impressed (solid, but not great, was expecting to see more) with Lisbon when I saw them early. Ed-co played Alburnett in heavy rain most of the night, which kept score closer than it probably should have been. But they are not as good as the last two ed-co teams. MFL is better than both. So Wapsie leaving that pod maybe a benefit to them. It sounds like Wapsie has athletes and they always have solid line play, so take your shot at home with Lisbon, and then probably Regina, rather than the devil they do know.

everyone here pretty much agreed the top 5-6 teams were clustered in North Central -Eastern Ia (Grundy, StA, regina, WV, MFL, Britt) and it was going to be a mess trying to sort them out with playoff brackets .

Tough match-ups all over eastern Iowa, I think all the big games will be close with the exception of the Regina - Alb game as I think Regina is just really good and more than likely heading to the finals. The Lisbon - Wapsie game will be interesting as the lions bring a tough run game in and that has been wapsies issues of stopping the power run teams as they don't have the line they have had on either side of the ball like years past. I think wapsie has a ton more speed at the skill positions and that will pose problems for lisbon to match up with because you cant replicate speed in scout practice. My prediction WV 21 Lisbon 18.
The other game I like is the MFL vs EDCO game the question is will edco be rusty having 3 weeks off? MFL is a run misdirection team that will also put it in the air when needed and edco has one of the best play makers in the area at QB that can extend plays with his feet and arm to give defense fits. Alot of people think MFL will win this by 2 or 3 TDs but i am not so sure. MFL had a very close game last week with East Buc as it was a 6 point game with less than a min to go and they struggled stopping the running game of EB and I think edco will be able to keep them off balance run and pass to move the ball. I think MFL wins this but IM not sure either team stops each other consistently so I'm going MFL 32 EdCo 28
My state championship prediction Grundy Center 36 Regina 34 in OT sorry Regina coming down to 8 man doesn't give you the state title.

I like your picks as well.
Regina and Grundy by 3tds
MFL with close win over Ed Co.
St Ansgar with close win over SW.
WV over Lisbon, however, I believe the weather will be decent and WV will spread the ball around through the air. Probably not a whole lot of rushing. And while WV did struggle against power run early, I think they’ve figured it out with personnel and experience. I like WV 28-7.

I like your picks as well.
Regina and Grundy by 3tds
MFL with close win over Ed Co.
St Ansgar with close win over SW.
WV over Lisbon, however, I believe the weather will be decent and WV will spread the ball around through the air. Probably not a whole lot of rushing. And while WV did struggle against power run early, I think they’ve figured it out with personnel and experience. I like WV 28-7.
I think Lisbons best bet is run run and run as that will move the chains and eat clock, they have to make it a shorter game. Wapsie likes to score quick and if lisbon can move the ball on the ground I think they have a shot but they cant go three and out they have to move the chains.

St Ansgar beat South Winn last year 49-14. St. Ansgar had 2 backs that game with over 200 rushing yards a piece. With one of those backs graduating last year, I think this game will be somewhat closer and because of that I still have St Ansgar winning by 2 touchdowns. I got St Ansgar winning 35-21.

Tough match-ups all over eastern Iowa, I think all the big games will be close with the exception of the Regina - Alb game as I think Regina is just really good and more than likely heading to the finals. The Lisbon - Wapsie game will be interesting as the lions bring a tough run game in and that has been wapsies issues of stopping the power run teams as they don't have the line they have had on either side of the ball like years past. I think wapsie has a ton more speed at the skill positions and that will pose problems for lisbon to match up with because you cant replicate speed in scout practice. My prediction WV 21 Lisbon 18.
The other game I like is the MFL vs EDCO game the question is will edco be rusty having 3 weeks off? MFL is a run misdirection team that will also put it in the air when needed and edco has one of the best play makers in the area at QB that can extend plays with his feet and arm to give defense fits. Alot of people think MFL will win this by 2 or 3 TDs but i am not so sure. MFL had a very close game last week with East Buc as it was a 6 point game with less than a min to go and they struggled stopping the running game of EB and I think edco will be able to keep them off balance run and pass to move the ball. I think MFL wins this but IM not sure either team stops each other consistently so I'm going MFL 32 EdCo 28
My state championship prediction Grundy Center 36 Regina 34 in OT sorry Regina coming down to 8 man doesn't give you the state title.
CLASS A not 8 man show some respect to teams playing real football

Whats that suppose to mean I'M talking about class A
I believe your quote might have been taken the wrong way "My state championship prediction Grundy Center 36 Regina 34 in OT sorry Regina coming down to 8 man doesn't give you the state title" either way, Regina doesn't care who they play or in what class, they just want to play.

St. Albert- I think South O'Brien is a quality team, but that's a long way to travel and I just think St. Albert has more talent.
LoMa- To me this an interesting game, Riverside is not traditionally strong, but they have had a great season, LoMa I think over achieved as well, but they seem like a better bet
West Hancock- The Fearsome Eagle Beasts Started off slow, but have been rolling as of late
Grundy Center- In a blow out
Wapsie- I think Lisbon will give them a good game, but Wapsie seems to be hitting their stride and are more battle tested overall
Regina- In a blowout
MFL- Toughest one to call, I wouldn't could out EdCo like some are doing, but I am not as impressed with their resume
South Winn- Picking the upset here, I think South Winn can beat you with the pass or the run, and Saint Ansgar has been suspect against the pass at points this year. But I also never count out Saint Ansgar so it should be a great game.

I believe your quote might have been taken the wrong way "My state championship prediction Grundy Center 36 Regina 34 in OT sorry Regina coming down to 8 man doesn't give you the state title" either way, Regina doesn't care who they play or in what class, they just want to play.
Thats my bad should have read coming down to class A

Iron Doc decided to post his own picks instead of relying on the charity of others. :)
DISCLAIMER: Iron Doc is pretty much clueless relative to Southern Iowa/Northern Missouri, so take them with a grain of salt. Iron Doc's picks should be considered discussion starters as opposed to Carved In Stone. It will be humorous to see how these picks compare with those of folks that actually do know what's going on.

South O'Brien vs. St. Albert S. O'BRIEN
Riverside vs. Logan-Magnolia LO-MA
H-M-S vs The Fearsome Eagle Beasts THE BEASTS
Nodaway valley vs. Grundy Center GRUNDY CENTER
Lisbon vs. Wapsie Valley LISBON
Alburnett vs. Regina REGINA
MFL vs. Edgewood-Colesburg MFL
South Winnesheik vs. St.Ansgar ST. ANSGAR

I agree with Iron Doc. Those would be my picks as well. However, I know very little about the top three listed games/teams.
The Lisbon vs. Wapsi Valley game is the one I'm most interested in. Very curious to see how Lisbon stacks up against another of the early season top four picks. I think they've got what it takes to pull off a road win, but we will see.

Iron Doc says Good Luck to the Fearsome Eagle Beasts in their game tonight.

SKOL BEASTS!!!

What games will have a video live stream tonight?

If not a video live stream what station if on the radio?

St. Ansgar vs South Winneshiek will be here.

Would be interested in checking out other games as the evening progresses.

Here's my thoughts on tonight's games:

South O'Brien vs. St. Albert = St Albert
Riverside vs. Logan-Magnolia Lo-Ma
H-M-S vs W Hancock = W Hancock
Nodaway Valley vs. Grundy Center = Grundy
Lisbon vs. Wapsie Valley = Lisbon
Alburnett vs. Regina = Regina
MFL vs. Edgewood-Colesburg = MFL
South Winnesheik vs. St.Ansgar = S Winn

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT