ADVERTISEMENT

NCC led by a 1A school

yeah they're really thrashing all of those really big schools in the NCC...

They won't win it if Clear Lake has anything to say about it that's for sure. They play next Tuesday in Algona to most likely decide the conference championship.

Coincidentally, Garrigan has won the NCC before I think both as a 1A and 2A school. Was '06 their last title? I think they were 1A that year. I believe they were still a 2A power in the Brad Nelson days, though I must ask again if they won the conference in '99 or '00?

Garrigan fans?

Anywho, their only conference defeat came at the hands of Clear Lake, 9-2.

The Lions got nipped by a 3-2 count twice; to St. Eds and IF-A. The latter being the head-scratcher, much the same as Hampton-Dumont always seeming to find a way to take one in the series against SE every so often as they did this year.

Originally posted by DarkThunder#61:
Coincidentally, Garrigan has won the NCC before I think both as a 1A and 2A school. Was '06 their last title? I think they were 1A that year. I believe they were still a 2A power in the Brad Nelson days, though I must ask again if they won the conference in '99 or '00?

Garrigan fans?

Anywho, their only conference defeat came at the hands of Clear Lake, 9-2.

The Lions got nipped by a 3-2 count twice; to St. Eds and IF-A. The latter being the head-scratcher, much the same as Hampton-Dumont always seeming to find a way to take one in the series against SE every so often as they did this year.
Yes, 2006 was the last one (16-2). I know we lost to St. Ansgar at substate and I think we were 2A because we beat Sioux Central, Emmetsburg, and St. Edmond to get there. Won conference in 1999 (lost to Council Bluffs St. Albert in 2A title game if I remember right). I'd guess Eagle Grove won it in 2000.

CL @ BG game should be a good one. I believe CL put up 8 in the bottom of the first and then only scored 1 in the last 6 innings facing a freshman pitcher. BG has beaten multiple top 5 teams in different classes (St. Ed's twice, Sioux City Heelan, Dyersville-Beckman). I'm guessing both teams will be throwing aces on the mound. Clear Lake has a few more opportunities to trip up in conference play.

This post was edited on 6/27 11:02 AM by 5sportathlete

Realistically, how tough is the NCC in comparision to what it has been in the past?

I'd say it's a bit deeper than it has been the last few years.

Clear Lake, Garrigan and St. Edmond all have a good shot to reach state.

Deeper? I'd say more parity would be a better description.

And Tear Lake only beat Mason City 2-1. (I've seen Mason City a couple times this year; regardless of class, absolutely horrible.)

I think in general, the quality of baseball is down in northwest Iowa. The NCC teams are better than most of their non-conference opponents. I would agree that the conference has more parity, but doesn't have a great team like St. Edmond had in 2009. Garrigan has a solid team when Vaske pitches. They don't make many mistakes. Their lack of pitching depth against quality opponents might be their achilles heal, but in 1A baseball who has allot of pitching depth.

There are some really bad baseball teams like Gowrie Prairie Valley, Manson, South Central and yes even Pocahontas. It is really hard to watch these games. It has been a long summer.

You don't have a 26-6 record on 1 kid's arm. Vaske is no doubt a hell of a baseball player, but Jake Kollasch (JR), Reece Wadle (FR), and Andrew Miller (FR) have all pitched well at different times.

And I don't know that the NCC has that much parity. You used to have SE, BG, EG, and CL you could pencil in for the top 4 or 5 spots in some order (with another team making a surprise appearance). The gap between the top and bottom in my opinion has gotten much bigger. Instead of 4 teams however, this year it's 3 and those three are a LOT better than anyone else.
This post was edited on 6/28 10:31 AM by 5sportathlete

The Adams kid from Tear Lake is one of the better players in the NCC, but a "dime a dozen" Perfect Game player. His hitting mechanics will need a major overhaul if he's going to play after high school (amazes me he doesn't cork screw himself right into the ground after every swing), yet he's batting over .500 on the season.

The NCC is in a down cycle this year (hope it's just this year); simple as that.

Ugly doesn't mean it can't work. I haven't seen his swing personally, but not all college and professional players have good looking swings.

I'm trying to look at the stats from the last several years regarding the top teams (from quikstats of course):

2011-

St. Edmond (26-5 16-1....Dist finals)
Clear Lake (28-10 15-3....Sub finals)
Algona (18-16 10-8....Dist semis)
Bishop Garrigan (23-17 9-8....Dist finals)
Iowa Falls-Alden (17-11 9-9....Dist semis)

2010-

Hampton-Dumont (25-3 17-1....Dist finals; apparently they only lost 3 games???)
Clear Lake (22-10 14-4....Dist semis)
St. Edmond (25-10 13-5....State qtrs)
Bishop Garrigan (26-17 12-6....Sub finals)
Algona (19-16 8-10....State qtrs)

2009-

St. Edmond (34-3 17-1....State champions)
Bishop Garrigan (25-12....Sub finals; according to quikstats, Garrigan once beat Various 71-60.. Some guy even had 32 at-bats. Gotta be a record. Quite the workout. Of course they also lost to Various 96-83. Rough year for the defense....)
Eagle Grove (15-10 12-5....Dist semis)
Webster City (17-12 11-5....Dist semis)
Hampton-Dumont (19-12 11-7....Sub finals)

Tried to find stats for '07 and '08 but half the teams didn't even enter stats then. Webster City reached the state qtrs in 2007.

Some other fun facts:

Since 1994 the NCC has had teams from two different classes reach state four times. 2010 (above), 2003 (Clear Lake and Eagle Grove- both state qtrs), 1999 (Algona- state qtrs and Garrigan- 2nd), and 1998 (Humboldt- state qtrs and Iowa Falls- champs)

In 1993, both Iowa Falls and St. Edmond reached the 2A state tourney, though I brain-farted and can't remember if SE was in the NCC that year or if it wasn't until '94 that they were official members.

From 1998 to 2002, an NCC team reached the state finals in 4 of 5 years. Iowa Falls (1998) and Eagle Grove (2002) claimed titles while Garrigan (1999) and Eagle Grove (2001) settled for 2nd.

Since 1993 an NCC team has reached the state tournament in 15 of the last 19 seasons. '94, '06, '08, '11 are the four where the conference was not represented.
From '95 to '05 an NCC team reached the state tournament. All 8 of the conference teams who have reached the tournament advanced at some point in those 11 years.

St. Edmond is the only current NCC member who has been to state in more than 2 different decades, four total.

Btw, here's the 2012 current top 5-

Bishop Garrigan (26-6 13-1)
Clear Lake (25-4 9-2)
St. Edmond (20-6 11-4)
Iowa Falls-Alden (12-8 7-5)
Humboldt (15-9 6-7)

This post was edited on 6/29 1:42 AM by DarkThunder#61

Garrigan is only good when Vaske is pitching? His hitting is near the top of the conference as well.

Yeah, you don't have a record of 27-6 in a conference where you're the smallest school by having "a" good pitcher. They haven't exactly played a slouch nonconference slate and have beaten ranked teams without Austin on the hill. Austin is ubdoubtedly the best option on the hill but he isn't the only one.

Of course it does help to average 8+ runs per game.

TL your evaluation off talent leaves a lot to be desired. Don't know what your problem is with Clear Lake or Adams swing. Hitting over .500 is not an easy thing or everyone would be doing it. And as many coaches would tell you, don't mess with any swing when you hit the ball like Ozzie does. He is the best overall player in the NCC this year. Come to a game and find out what your missing and if Clear Lake is that bad, I think many teams would take 29 wins this year.

Ozzie is a GREAT player, no doubt. I have absolutely no beef with him. However, to call him-outright- the best overall player in the NCC may be a bit premature. According to quickstats, Austin Vaske has a better ERA and a higher batting average. Take into account that they faced each other, the argument could be made that Austin is the best player in the NCC. I could see why one would feel that Ozzie may be. But I don't think it is clear cut. Bottom line, both are very, very good and you would be out of your mind to not want them on your team. I am not willing to make a pick on this, just saying that both players have a case.

Originally posted by randalel:
TL your evaluation off talent leaves a lot to be desired. Don't know what your problem is with Clear Lake or Adams swing. Hitting over .500 is not an easy thing or everyone would be doing it. And as many coaches would tell you, don't mess with any swing when you hit the ball like Ozzie does. He is the best overall player in the NCC this year. Come to a game and find out what your missing and if Clear Lake is that bad, I think many teams would take 29 wins this year.
I'm going to argue the best overall player. Austin Vaske is offensively superior. In conference play their lines are:

Adams: 7 2B, 1 3B, 0 HR, 11 RBI, 3 SO, .548 OBP, .612 SLG, .429 AVG
Vaske: 9 2B, 0 3B, 7 HR, 27 RBI, 4 SO, .580 OBP, 1.017 SLG, .517 AVG

Pitching wise they're both awesome in conference play:

Adams: 6-0, 36.2 IP, 0 S, 32 H, 1.18 ERA, 44 Ks, .212 BAA
Vaske: 6-1, 48.1 IP, 3 S, 41 H, 1.16 ERA, 55 Ks, .215 BAA

I'd like to draw inferences from that but Adams stats haven't been updated with last night's yet so I guessed on hits. His ERA is going to go up a little bit, and I know he had some Ks. The one place Adams crushed Vaske is walks allowed. Adams would blow Vaske out of the water in WHIP.

And looking at the stats a little more, Adams got credit for a win in quikstats that I don't see how it's possible against CG. Keeran should've been the pitcher of record. And what is the requirement for IP to get a W in HS? 4 IP over 7 instead of 5 over 9 in the majors?

In my opinion, Adams has better control and Vaske is the better pitcher.

Appearances:

Adams:
Newman (took loss...13 Ks is damn impressive especially against an excellent Newman team...ranked 1A)
Hampton-Dumont (wash)
Clarion-Goldfield (terrible)
Fort Dodge, St. Edmond (wash)
Iowa Falls-Alden (wash)
Humboldt (wash)
Saint Ansgar (solid)
Council Bluffs, Abraham Lincoln (4A but not very good)
Iowa Falls-Alden (wash)
Bishop Garrigan (ranked 1A)

Vaske:
Estherville-Lincoln Central (bad)
Eagle Grove (terrible)
St. Edmond (wash)
Bishop Heelan, Sioux City (Ranked 3A)
Iowa Falls-Alden (wash)
Humboldt (wash)
Iowa Falls-Alden (wash)
Hampton-Dumont (wash)
Fort Dodge, St. Edmond (Ranked 2A)
Humboldt (average)
Clear Lake (took loss though pitched well...Ranked 3A)

Congrats, from what I saw this year, Garrigan deserved it. They played very well in the games I saw.

No way a 1A school should dominate a conference full of 3A schools. The best baseball is played in Des Moines and out east. The NCC is weak.

I'm sure at least the 3A schools in the NCC would be tickled pink to be able to play schedules where they were able to face more 3A and 4A teams. Geography is the biggest hangup for the 2nd season performances normally turned in by the 3A NCC. While it does appear most of those schools could have traveled to more tournaments and stayed under 40 games, I doubt the money was there to do so.

To me the biggest surprise this year by the NCC would be in the 2A schools. I can understand the NCC lone 1A school being tougher than nails and doing well in the 2nd sesaon just the complete opposite of the 3A's but unless this year was just a fluke the 2A performance was really puzzling.

What the hell, I'll feed the troll.
BG had W's over Beckman-Dyersville (#1 seed in 2A...one of those east schools too), Sioux City Heelan (#2 seed in 3A), and a close loss to Carroll Kuemper (#4 seed in 2A I think?)

Clear Lake crushed Forest City (2A state qualifier), and beat one of your "best baseball is in Des Moines" schools in Lincoln, and more 4A's in CB-AL and Mason City.

Fort Dodge St. Ed's also beat Beckman-Dyersville,

That's just a terrible year for a conference. All three of the above are very good baseball schools and have been for as long as I can remember.

And I suppose Assumption's conference is a joke as they've had success in the past against their mostly 4A conference?

Good gravy, I have to step in on this one.

"and beat one of your "best baseball is in Des Moines" schools in Lincoln, and more 4A's in CB-AL and Mason City"

D.M. Lincoln is in the CIML Metro; major dog crap conference and they were only 14-24-1.

Mason City was but a shadow of years past (14-27)

Council Bluffs Abe Lincoln? Are you kidding me? Western Iowa baseball sucks and they play a weak schedule (lots of 2A and 3A).

Seems like you proved Tear Lake's point.

The 2A schools played each other in districts. Aside from SE getting upset by a Clarion team that caught fire, I'd say they did about as expected.

H-D is down right now. Eagle Grove has been down for years. Clarion was Clarion, but they had a run similar to Pocahontas in 2005 when they upset SE and made it to the substate finals before bowing out.

Clarion had 45 hits through their 4-game run. They were aggressive at the plate and darn near won against Forest City if not for a big play by FC to send it to extras.

I am not going to argue whether FC is good or not good, but losing 0-5 to NP when they are pitching a guy who is 9-0 with an era of 0.000 is hardly a thumping. I know, you beat them, congrats, but Hadaway wasn't throwing. Use your head for something other than a hat rack will ya?

Originally posted by Saydel Rules:

I know, you beat them, congrats, but Hadaway wasn't throwing.

?

Doh!
I think he meant Hadaway wasn't throwing when Saydel beat them.....Pickard threw vs Saydel, I thought.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT