ADVERTISEMENT

My power ranking pages on twitter

Late to the game as I just saw this. Pretty Fun stuff! Was just thinking...do you give more credit to kids from schools with better seasons/records? On top of using quikstats to see total tackles for a kid who played in 13 games vs just 9 if his team didn’t do well? Just wondering! We were talking around the breakfast table and the question came up. “Wait a minute. If they already give the kid props with a higher ranking if his school advanced to playoffs etc AND knows that kid played in 13 games to obtain that many yards/tackles, that doesn’t seem right.” So I just thought I’d ask!

Late to the game as I just saw this. Pretty Fun stuff! Was just thinking...do you give more credit to kids from schools with better seasons/records? On top of using quikstats to see total tackles for a kid who played in 13 games vs just 9 if his team didn’t do well? Just wondering! We were talking around the breakfast table and the question came up. “Wait a minute. If they already give the kid props with a higher ranking if his school advanced to playoffs etc AND knows that kid played in 13 games to obtain that many yards/tackles, that doesn’t seem right.” So I just thought I’d ask!
For stuff like tackles and yards of any sort, I divide them by how many games the teams played, just to make it fair for players that not many schools will be watching because of the teams record.

Reactions: Adidasfootball
For stuff like tackles and yards of any sort, I divide them by how many games the teams played, just to make it fair for players that not many schools will be watching because of the teams record.
I get that, but a decent linebacker on a bad team will get lots of tackles just because he's on the field 2/3 of the game, while a good defense might only be on the field for 20-25 plays before the subs come in, with half of those being incomplete passes and several TFLs by the DL. A great LB might only have 3-4 tackles in those types of games, which obviously skews their average down dramatically.

Reactions: Adidasfootball
> FYI, You have DM Lincoln as state champ in 1904. They weren’t in existence until 1923.

From the Des Moines West annual:

"
The game with Lincoln resulted, as was to be expected with Macdonald, Hyland, Strawthers and McCash all out of the game, in favor of Lincoln—16 to 6. West High's fumbling and erratic playing was all caused by the inability of the coach to find a man among either the first or the second team who could fill the quarter position acceptably. The playing of the team in the last twenty-five minutes when they scored a touch-down and were two other times within striking distance of Lincoln's goal gave the first indication of the fighting spirit the team showed during the remainder of the season.
"

what team do you think this is?

I believe West High School was the precursor to Roosevelt. Roosevelt started around 1923-1924. West was converted to a junior high at that time and ultimately closed around 1928. Think it started in 1890’s.

> FYI, You have DM Lincoln as state champ in 1904. They weren’t in existence until 1923.

From the Des Moines West annual:

"
The game with Lincoln resulted, as was to be expected with Macdonald, Hyland, Strawthers and McCash all out of the game, in favor of Lincoln—16 to 6. West High's fumbling and erratic playing was all caused by the inability of the coach to find a man among either the first or the second team who could fill the quarter position acceptably. The playing of the team in the last twenty-five minutes when they scored a touch-down and were two other times within striking distance of Lincoln's goal gave the first indication of the fighting spirit the team showed during the remainder of the season.
"

what team do you think this is?

Some follow research: Lincoln was a 1st-8th grade school in the Des Moines West district at the time. This is all pre-1910 iahsaa, so possibly it was a "neighborhood" team?

I didn't find any evidence of a nearby college called Lincoln.

I get that, but a decent linebacker on a bad team will get lots of tackles just because he's on the field 2/3 of the game, while a good defense might only be on the field for 20-25 plays before the subs come in, with half of those being incomplete passes and several TFLs by the DL. A great LB might only have 3-4 tackles in those types of games, which obviously skews their average down dramatically.
Sorry it took me so long to reply, i haven't been watching this thread for awhile. I'm thinking about adding a "star factor" for certain players with a lot of buzz surrounding them. Or else I could adjust the defense altogether by how well they played.

https://sites.google.com/site/iahsa...ols/defunct-high-schools/sioux-city-riverside

https://sites.google.com/site/iahsaasports/iowa-high-schools/defunct-high-schools/sioux-city-leeds

Cool site, thanks for that link PNnation.

Before 1972, there was Sioux City Central which was downtown, and East. There were also two smaller high schools in the neighborhoods of Leeds and Riverside. When Central split into West and North, Leeds closed and those kids went to North, and Riverside closed and those kids went to West.

Interesting stuff!

A followup: after more research the team is Lincoln NE.

Composite ranking now has 135,301 game entries.

Noting: 40,000 game locations have been added in the past 19 months.

Thanks for all contributors.

Last edited:
I know it's a shameless plug, but I wanna know what you guys think of my twitter pages: https://twitter.com/IAFootballRanks and https://twitter.com/IABBallRanks
Hey there! I took a look, at your Twitter profiles. I must say, I really appreciate the way you present information. Your coverage of the Iowa soccer and basketball rankings is fascinating. It's impressive to see that you cover such a range of schools and leagues. Whats more commendable is your dedication to keeping the pages updated and fostering discussions. It's a resource for fans and players to stay in the loop with all the latest news and results. By the way how do you collect data for your rankings? I'd love to learn more, about your process. What criteria you use to evaluate teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT