ADVERTISEMENT

MAC Wrestling

BKDevil

Freshman
Oct 27, 2003
2012 was a very good year for MAC wrestling teams. With Bettendorf and Assumption winning Team Dual Championships in their respective classes, Bettendorf taking it one step further to claim the State Individual Championship and the MAC crowning 3 individual champions (Nate Shaw, Nick Georgean and Tyler Willers) it may have been considered a banner year for the MAC.
This year will be better!
With a plether of returning state qualifiers still very capable of bringing home gold, 2012-13 could very easily eclipse the solid year we saw last year.
Bettendorf on paper again fields the deepest lineup but Assumption is still a very dangerous second place option. The Dogs were hurt by graduation to the tune of 7 lost qualifiers. But before you start to feel bad for them, please consider this: They will have arguably the best two, maybe three wrestlers in the MAC in Fredy Stroker, Logan Ryan and Bubba Hernandez. Throw in Jacob Woodard and stalwarts like Eli Preisser, Jacob Schwarm, Jack Wagner and Paul Glynn and you can expect another highly competitive Bulldog team who will compete for National Honors.
Assumption lost three state qualifying returners but return 7. One big loss already for the Knights is Tony Parks who was lost with an injury that ends his year. State Champion Nick Georgean returns as does Indiana signee Kyle Springer and fellow runner up Tony Devriese. Also returning for Knights; Eric Clarke, Brendan Gould and Tionte Parks. If the Knights can find a couple of consistent upper weights ala Sean Easler and Zach Adrian they could be very dangerous yet again.

North Scott will have four tough state qualifyers back in the Kreiters, Logan Long and Mitch Bowman while PV brings back two very solid grapplers in Letney and Willers.. so you can count on competitive matches from these two teams as well.
Should be a very exciting year fro MAC wrestling!

Ranked MAC wrestlers:

Jacob Schwarm SO. Bett #4
Darien Collins FR Assumption #10 3A

Brendan Gould JR Assumption #3 3A

Travis Willers JR PV #2
Hunter Genco JR Clinton #5

Fredy Stroker SO Bett #1
Tony DeVries SR Assumption #4 3A

Logan Ryan JR Bett #1
Christian Foote FR PV #10
Kyle Springer SR Assumption #2 3A

Randy McPhee SR PV #3
Jacob Woodard SO Bett #6
Eric Clarke JR Assumption #4 3A

Alex Hernandez SR Bett #1
Alex Caldwell JR Clinton #3
Austin Boyd SR Burlington #5

Dustin Caldwell JR Clinton #4
Nick Georgean SR Assumption #1 3A

Dalton Witte JR Burlington #2
Bret McKinney SR NS #3
Grant Rosenboom SR PV #6

Brady Letney PV #2
Mitch Bowman NS #7

Matt Seabold SR Burlington #1
Justin Kreiter SR NS #3

Colin Kreiter SO NS #7

Devin Albee JR PV #7

Cegan Long NS #4
Jacob Oldaker SR Clinton #9
Sean Easler SR Assumption #4 3A

This post was edited on 11/27 9:52 AM by BKDevil

This post was edited on 11/28 1:15 PM by BKDevil

This post was edited on 12/5 1:40 PM by BKDevil

I think you missed Boyd of Burlington, #5 at 145 and Burlington ranked #10 in 3A.

Sounds like they are FILTHY LOADED this year in the MAC.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
sorry I just had to.

My apologies to Mr Boyd!
Was just an oversight on my part!
Go Hounds!
This post was edited on 11/28 1:15 PM by BKDevil

Great showing by the MAC at the tough Keith Young tourney in Cedar Falls...NS 1st, Bett 2nd, PV 5th...!!

Also - Assumption finished well in the West Delaware Invitational beating out the #2 ranked 4A Linn Mar team for second place. The host #1 ranked 3A West Delaware won the Invitational. As stated above, the MAC will be tough this year - hard to argue that this is the best conference in wrestling this year.

Honest ?, was Bett at full strength this weekend. Either way, most impressive for NS to fight there way to a 1st place team finish at the K.Y. this past weekend.

Looks like Assumption didnt have there line up set at this point in the season either. Don't see any possible changes for the PV line up, that looked most likely what they will be able to put on the mat on any given Sat. They will have a hard time keeping pace w/ the following.

NS, Bett, Assumption all look to be very closely matched this year.

Bett and Assumption will both "struggle" a bit in the upper weights. North Scott is very good in these weights (with Colin Kreiter, Justin Kreiter, Mitch Bowman, Bret McKinney, Cordell Eaton and Cegan Long) but they "struggle" in early weights.

I would think the depth of Assumption and Bett would give them an upper hand in head to head duals as each would pile up large amounts of points in the eight lower weights. It would be to NS's credit if they could keep it close until around 160 pounds. If they can, Lancers would be clear favorite in upper six weights.
The KY showed how good the MAC will be with NS, Bett and PV in top five.

I was a little disappointed that Hernandez from Bett didn't stay at 145 to face Brandon Sorenson from Denver-Tripoli. This would have been a great match to watch. Is Hernandez staying at 152 or did he bump up at KY for strategy reasons?

Bett was missing 3 starters. Hwt, 220, and I believe 160. That being said it was a great showing by both N.S. and Bett.

BK - you are aware that Bubba played football and I'm sure your aware of the states rules on weight loss in regards to an athletes descent plan. Bubba isn't allowed to weigh in at 145 until the week of Dec. 11th. Rosters were submitted to the tournament officials and shared with all coaches informing them he would be 152. So there wasn't any bumping up or strategy. Just thought you should know some facts.

Maybe you could persuade NS to wrestle us since they are loaded this year, we have some open dates.

Why does it seem every time I ask a question regarding Bett wrestling, someone takes it the wrong way?
I am sure I am not the only person who didn't know Hernandez had to cut weight. Sorry if my comment was taken the wrong way.
I did not insinuate anything negatively, I just asked where Hernandez was in the lineup. When I saw the rankings and saw that both DT and Bett were going to the Keith Young the 145 potential matchup was one that stood out.
I didn't know I had to walk on eggshells when posting comments...sensitive group!

My repsonse wasn't meant to have a tone. Just letting you know that he isn't allowed to make 145 that soon, that was posted on the predicament as well a week before KY. Your very knowledgeable and would have to know that he wasn't playing running back at 145lbs.

His finals match @ 152 was the best match of the day with Jesse Eterhington from Charles City. He would be my front runner to win 2A title at 152.

I did watch #6 play a couple of games this year. He had a good year!
Wish him and his teammates all the best this year on the mat!

I am sure Assumption's Georgean would have an issue with you tabbing Etherington the favorite at 152. Georgean hasn't lost much the last few years and he has done it before. Should be a competitive bracket at state with Jake Voss from West Delaware in the mix as well.

Thanks bk. Not truly convinced that Nick goes to 152.

This post was edited on 12/6 9:37 PM by bubsdad

Kendru - thanks for noticing - should have said that Linn Mar is #2 ranked in 3A (not 4A) and West Delaware is #1 in 2A (not 3A) - guess I was thinking about basketball classification when I wrote that post.

The MAC is only 26 days away. Here is my top two at each weight. Without a doubt the best, most competitive conference in the state this year. A couple of weight classes are full of talent. 132 will be awesome to see, 138, 145*, 160, 182, 285. 220 is anyones quess.

Collins DA
Lamentia DC

Gould DA
Glenn Bett

Genco Clin
Willers PV

Stroker Bett
Devreise DA

Ryan Bett
Springer DA

Clarke DA
Woodard Bett

Hernandez Bett
Caldwell Cli

Georgean DA
Caldwell Cli

Rosenboom PV
Bush DA

I'm not sure if/when Mckinney is able to return.

Letney PV
Bowman NS

Seabold Bur
Kreiter NS

Kreiter NS
Picchoitti PV

220 is up for grab's!!!!!
Eaton NS
Burke DC, there is also Adrian, Albee, Ramirez.

Oldaker Cli
Long NS

7 in the finals for Assumption
5 Bett
5 NS
4 Clinton
4 PV
2 Davenport Central
1 Burlington

This dual should be much closer than last year. There are going to be some real good key matches (i.e. Flynn/Gould, Ryan/Springer, Woodard/Clarke to name a few) that can go either way in my opinion. I can see either team winning the dual. Should be interesting in other weights if some wrestlers are moved into different weights.

I agree.
Questions on both sides to answer;

106- Schwarm is out?; is this a win for Knights and Darien Collins? 3-0 AHS
113 -Gould versus Glynn- Could go either way. Gould 6-0 AHS
120- Fenske? versus Gallagher? not sure about this weight but give it to Dogs 6-3
126- Devries versus Stroker. Stroker maj dec. 7-6 BHS
132- Springer versus Ryan. Expect hard fought match here. Ryan narrow win 10-6 BHS
138- Clark versus Woodard- Another good one. Woodard Bett up 13-6
145- Parks versus Hernandez. Pin for Hernandez. 19-6
152- Georgean versus Hudson? Sass? Neyrink? Georgean pin. 19-12
160- Bush versus Hudson? neyrink? Bush narrow win. 19-15 BHS
170- Riley? versus Wolfe? Priesser? Give this one to Dogs? 22-15 BHS
182 Rangel versus Dougherty? Rangel 22-18
195 - Van Pelt verus Moffitt. Van Pelt 22-21 BHS
220 Adrian versus Crutchner. Adrian 22-24 AHS
285- Easler versus Coleman? Easler 27-22 AHS

Obviously, several of these could go the other way. Should be fun?

My take and many guesses here....

106- Schwarm is out?; Wagner will be close but Darien Collins win 3-0 Ass
113 -Gould versus Glynn- Could go either way. Glynn will win 3-3 Ass
120- Fenske? versus Gallagher? Fenske 6-3 Ass
126- Devries versus Stroker. Stroker easy pin 9-6 Bett
132- Springer versus Ryan. Expect hard fought match here. Ryan win 12-6 Bett
138- Clark versus Woodard- Another good one. taking Clark though 12-9 Bett
145- Parks versus Hernandez. Almost a major for Hernandez. 15-9 Bett
152- Georgean versus Hudson? Sass? Neyrink? Georgean still hobbled just a major. 15-13 Bett
160- Bush versus Hudson? neyrink? Bush will win over all 16-15 Ass
170- Riley? versus Wolfe? Priesser? Give this one to Dogs? 18-16 Bett
182 Rangel versus Dougherty? Rangel 19-18 Ass
195 - Van Pelt verus Moffitt. Moffitt 21-19 Bett
220 Adrian versus Crutchner. Adrian 22-21 Ass
285- Easler versus Coleman? Coleman 24-22 Bett

Should be a great meet, I am sure there will be more pins than I predicted....

Meet started with 126

126- Tony Devries was out with the flu and Stroker won by forfeit. 6-0 (did Devries duck him, Fredy sure thought he did as he stared down the Assumption bench after his win)
132- Springer versus Ryan- Ryan won 7-2 as Springer couldn't get any offense going. 9-0
138- Eric Clarke was sick as well so Robby Washam went out for AHS. Woodard beat him soundly and eventually pinned him. 15-0
145 - Tionti Parks did his job by not getting pinned and made it interesting at the end. Hernandez won 6-3. BHS up 18-0
152- Nick Georgean avoided the upset and won by injury default oer Sass. (it was not a slam) Coach Knight saw that and did the right thing by not taking a DQ when ref made slam call and Sass couldnt continue (even though Sass wanted to continue). He seemed very upset that Bett coaches made him quit. BHS up 18-6
160- Danny Bush dominated Malique Hudson 6-0. Ref should ave called stalling 10 times on Hudson as he was pretty in-active the whole match. 18-9
170- Clint Harland was pinned by Eli Priesser. Domination. BHS up 24-9
182- Trace Timmons was soundly beaten by Cassin Wolfe maj 11-3. Bett up 28-9
195- Gabe Rangel won in 2OT over AJ Dougherty 11-8. Bett up 28-12
220- Sean Easler pinned Savion Coleman. BHS up 28-18
285- Zach Adrian slept through a puke plaqued Blake Crutchner and lost 8-5. Adrian was NOT ready for this. He should have won easily and knew it. Give Crutchner credit. BHS 31-18
106- Darien Collins was beated by Jack Wagner 8-3 bHS up 34-18
113- Brendan Gould lost to Paul Glynn in 2OT 4-2 Bett up 37-18
120- Jacob Fenske pinned Gallagher late. Bett wins 37-24

Great atmoshere for high school athletics! The ref and announcer played too much of a part in this meet. The ref for slight misses in calls and non calls. It seems he let Trizzino and Knight bully him into a couple calls. The announcer needed to hush up at times as he announced the sponsors about every ten minutes. Nice event! You can tell these two teams respect each other.

BK - good run down and I agree it was a great atmosphere - Bulldog gym was near full capacity. Two great programs going head-to-head. A couple of comments though - don't think you give Parks enough credit - he has wrestled Hernadez twice in the last week and has lost two close decisions. Hernadez is deservedly ranked #1 in 4A, but Parks is no pushover. I agree on the announcer - he is good announcer but at times he seemed to talk just to talk - just announce the match and yes, maybe your sponsors if they feel they need to be reckonized. Did we really need to hear how many missed calls (and who they were from) a certain cell phone had that was lost? This dual matchup has turned into one of the best duals in the state year in and year out. I look for both teams to represent the MAC well come March - good luck to both teams over the next couple of months.

Devries didn't have the flu. He had a sore shoulder. I talked to him and his dad, they didn't want to inj it further.

Clark had the flu and didn't wrestle which is a huge loss for AHS. Glynn, Cructher and Hernandez had the flu this week but decided to wrestle which made a huge differnce in 9 pts for Bett.

I agree that announcer talks too damn much!! When we only have two local teams (Assumpiton & PV) that will wrestle us, with only one of those at home. We have to cram everything into a meet such as the sponsosor recognition. alumni stuff and senior stuff. So appreciate everyone for having to sit thru all that.

Great community support for both teams. Should be a great MAC tournament. Lets hope kids from both teams get healthy and make another great run at State!

Bubsdad - I agree - let's hope kids from both teams get healthy. Gutsy performance by the kids who wrestled that have been sick with the flu - obviously you could tell Cructher had been sick, but didn't realize Hernandez and Glynn were sick also. It was a shame that the Clarke/Woodard match didn't take place - I thought going into the dual that would be one of the better matches of the night - especailly after their close match last weekend in Wisconsin. The MAC tourney will be tough - you have some very good wrestlers from other schools beside Assumption and Bettendorf. Take for exanple 145 lbs - there are three of the top four rated wrestlers in 4A plus Parks in that weight class - there are other weights that are just as loaded. Should be fun to watch.

I am not sure what meet was being watched, but I had a great view of the slam by Georgean and it was definitely an illegal slam. I believe the only reason he was not disqualified was because Knight showed a lot of class and did not want to have the only loss of the season for Georgeon go that way. The classless Assumption fans that didn't know what Knight was giving to their wrestler with their comments, were way out of place.

Ask the Assumption coaches if they thought it was a slam!
This post was edited on 1/11 9:07 PM by bett fan

Bett - ask Bettendorf coaches if they think it was a slam? Regardless, Coach Knight was very classy in how he handled the situation. Not sure why you are calling Assumption classless fans - these are the same fans that gave the Juervitz kid a standing ovation last year at Wrestling Senior Night at the Bett/Assumption basketball game. I guess that is pretty classless!

Once the fans realized what Knight and Trizzino were doing they stopped yelling. I get caught up in the moments of excitement myself so pretty easy to do at times. I seen two matches of Nick's this year and both matches he has had a foul from unsportsman like conduct. He is a better wrestler than that.

Assumption coaches realized what Knight did and praised it, so it should be a mute point. Lets all move on.

Every fan base has a few D-Bags in their crowd. It's up to their own fan base to let them know they are one.

If you were there you had to admit it was confusing to the fans, including me. The people on the mat didn't even seem to get it at first. No name calling is necessary, it was a good gesture by the Bett coaches.

They have been in this predicament before with the Trizzino vs Koethe state quarterfinals match in 2010, but that was an easy decision to make since it was a flagrant slam 8 seconds into the match by Koethe and Trizzino couldn't continue that day.

No coach wants to be put in that decision making process, it is a usually a no win situation. The wrestlers need to know once they slam they lose control on the outcome of their match. Like BubsDad said, I have also watched Georgian twice this year and each time there has been controversy in his match, he needs to get that fixed if he wants to repeat as a state champ...

Go MAC..!!

What a great MAC meet the other day. All of the champions in the MAC this year certainly earned their spot on the podium. Congrats to Assumption for winning the team title! Great accomplishment considering the opponents in the field (Bett, North Scott, PV and Burlington to name a few).
Assumption had five champions (Brendon Gould at 113, Kyle Springer at 132, Danny Bush at 152, Nick Georgean at 160 and Sean Easler at 220).
Bettendorf finished second and crowned 4 champs (Jacob Schwarm-106, Fredy Stroker at 126, Jacob Woodard- 138 and Alex hernandez at 145).
North Scott matched Bettendorf with 4 champs (Mitch Bowman- 170, Justin Kreiter-182, Colin Kreiter-195 and Cegan Long at 285).
Hunter Genco from Clinton was the other champ as he scored a last second reversal to win 4-3 over Jacob Fenske from Assumption.

Obviously the match of the day was Kyle Springer from Assumption beating Logan Ryan from Bett. This win turned the meet for the Knights as Springer avenged a 7-2 loss in the head to head dual at Bett a couple of weeks ago.
The Knights deserve credit for adjusting their lineup and winning tough matches all day. Moving Bush, Georgean and Easler each provided the necessary points needed to hold off Dogs and Lancers.
Great event!

The MAC continues its strong season heading into the postseason tourneys.
Bettendorf, PV and Assumption advanced to state in the team duals event. #3 Bettendorf will go against #6 Ankeny in the first round and should advance to face a very tough challenge in #2 CR Prairie in the semis. #8 PV has the unfortunate pleasure of facing #1 SE Polk at 9am on Wednesday. If they could pull off the unthinkable (or SEPolk chooses to hold kids out) they would face Waverly Shell Rock or LM in semis.
#2 Assumption takes the mat against #7 Boyden Hull/Rock Valley. The Knights should cruise in this one but undefeated Mediapolis looms in the semis. Get by them and they get their re-match versus West Delaware for title.
Regardless of what you think about the timing of this event, this tourney SHOULD be great to watch.

As for the individuals, the MAC SHOULD be very well represented on the podium next weekend.
With 17 MAC wrestlers ranked in their respective classes top 5, including four #1s and six #2s, I have to expect many MAC kids excelling individually.
My predictions go like this: No disrespect intended. Just my innocent thoughts after seeing most of these guys several times.
Bringing home the gold:
Fredy Stroker 126 Bett- nobody will touch this kid. Has beaten #2 and #3 handliy already this year
Logan Ryan 132 Bett- has beaten his closest competitors already this year. not a given but pretty close if he is focused.
Kyle Springer 132 Assumption- Tough matches loom for him in a highly contested class but I like where he is right now.
Nick Georgean 152-160 Assumption Not sure where he will settle in but last weekend he beat Trey Ryan the #1 at 160 8-2.
Justin Kreiter 182 NS- Tough weight for a tough kid.

Second Place Finishers
Alex Hernandez 145- Bett- I really like this guy and I wouldnt be surprised if he wins it all but Joel Northrup is a stud. This match up if it occurs will be very fun to watch.
Tony DeVriese 126 Assumption

I could add many others to this list (Schwarm, Woodard, Clarke) and I certainly will be there rooting all MAC teams and athletes on.
Good Luck All!

The MAC has started out pretty good on day one and half-way through day two at State Tournament.

Assumption leads in Class 2A with 30 points and all 10 qualifyers still alive (7 on the front and 3 on the back). A couple of their loses could affect their ability to bring home the Team Title. Defending 152 champion, undefeated senior leader Nick Georgean lost 1-0 in the first round. That loss combined with last year's runner up 126 -Tony Devries's loss will really challenge the other Knights to step up and pick up the slack for these two (hello Kyle Springer and Brendon Gould). Both Georgean and DeVries were both expected to make long runs. Tionte Parks losing to Brandon Sorenson was certainly no surprise. Quarterfinal round starts in bit.

Bettendorf had a perfect first round going 7 for 7. The second round saw both 113 pounder Paul Glynn and 285 Raekwon Jefferson lose while the other 5 won impressively (Schwarm-pin; Stroker-pin; Ryan-big win over Colby Knight; Woodard-pin and Hernandez-pin) giving the Dogs 60.5 points which is good for 3rd in 3A after the session.
Glynn lost his 2nd round consolation match which eliminated him while Jefferson stayed alive on the backside with a second round consolation pin. Dogs have uphill battle in 3A race as SEPolk leads with 91.5 points while still having eleven athletes alive (7 on front and four on back).

North Scott sits in 6th place at the last break with 37 points. Both 170- Mitch Bowman and 182- Justin Krieter remain alive on front while 195-Colin Krieter and 220-Cordell Eaton are battling through the losers bracket. 152-Joe Pancratz and 285-Cegan Long have both been eliminated.

Burlington is in 9th at the break with 26.5 points. 145- Austin Boyd and 182- Matt Seabold won their first two matches of the tournament and will continue on winner's side of bracket. 160- Dalton Witte won his first round match but lost in the quarters. Witte rebounded to win in the 2nd round consolations to remain alive on backside. 126-Dallas Terry was eliminated after losing his first two matches.

Clinton has 26 points and sits in 10th place. River Kings have 152- Dustin Caldwell & 160- Dillon Chase advancing after wining both opening and second round matches. 120- Hunter Genco was upset in first round only to get a pin and major in next two consolation rounds. 145-Alex Caldwell & 195- Justin Guilliams have been eliminated.

PV has 21 points and a disappointing 15th place. Spartans went 3-4 in first round matches with 126- Travis Willers, 160- Grant Rosenboom and 170- Brady Letney winning and MAC Champ 120- Spencer Nevills; 132- Christian Foote; 138- Randy McPhee and 182- seth Skahill all losing. Willers-Rosenboom and Letney all lost in quarters but remain alive after wins in consolations.
Nevills, Foote, McPhee and Skahill have all been eliminated.

Central's Logan Burke lost his opening round match. Won his 1st round consolation match and then was elimnated in 2nd round.
Muscatine's 106- Tony Nunez also lost his opening round match, won one and then was eliminated in consolation round two.

West's 113- Zach Blizzard lost his two matches and was eliminated.

Updated Predictions
I will stick with 126-Stroker and 132-Ryan from Bettendorf. I will add in 145-Hernandez now that my original pick was upset (should have taken him to begin with).
Springer will have his hands full with Colton Mcrystal if he can win a quarter versus Wyatt Forsyth. But, I still think he can pull it off.
Too bad Seabold and Krieter will meet in semis later. Should be a great rematch but it should have happened in finals. These are the two best at this weight. Winner of this one may be standing atop podium?

Go MAC!

Love it!
This is February Fervor!!

The MAC should be very proud of the way it competed in Des Moines.

Forty-two Qualifyers (we say good bye to 15 seniors and hope that 27 will return to state next year)
One Team Dual Championship -(Assumption)
Two Team Runner's Up- (Assumption and Bettendorf)
One Most Outstanding Wrestler- (Stroker)
Five Individual Champions- (Stroker-Ryan-Woodard-Hernadez & Seabold)
Three Runners up Individuals- (Schwarm-Boyd & Bowman)
Five Third Place finishers- (Gould-Genco-Kreiter-Springer & Georgean)
Five fourth Place finishers- (Clarke-Caldwell-Witte-Kreiter & Easler)
Two Fifth Place finisher- (Parks & Chase)
One sixth place- Letney
Two seventh place- (DeVries & Rosenboom)
Three Eighth Place- (Willers-Eaton and Jefferson)

Thousands of Great fans rooting for a common cause. To show the state that the MAC is the best wrestling conference in the state!!
Job Well Done!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT