ADVERTISEMENT

MAC Baseball....and then there were four!!

BKDevil

Freshman
Oct 27, 2003
The last week of MAC action begins tonight with four teams very much alive for the championship!

PV (@ Muscatine and host Bett), Muscatine (host PV and @ Central) and Bettendorf (@ Assumption and @ PV) all control their own destiny; win out and they win the crown.
Trouble is, all three teams have fairly difficult week and winning out will be quite a challenge.
Assumption (host Bett, host Burlington) is the fourth team still alive but Knights need some help.

PV gets to travel to Muscatine tonight to face the Muskies top two pitchers in Burkamper and Torres after both were saved for the Spartans. PV has their top two available as well as I expect Neuhaus and Suhr to go for Spartans.
I would bet PV will not throw Neuhaus in the same game with Burkamper to minimize the opportunity for Muscatine to sweep. Should be a great twin bill!
I see a split.

Bettendorf at Assumption tonight.
Dogs used Ulrich five innings Friday and Klabunde 7 innings last Tuesday and 4 innings Friday so I would think they are both un-available which leaves Hill and perhaps Broyles to go for Dogs. Knights should throw Quested and Knouse/Duax.
Knights have been inconsistent lately and have not put togther a sweep since they took two at Clinton 6-13. They are 8-8 since and seem to be vunerable at the wrong time of the year. Bett is 7-3 in their last ten games.
Defense will be key as both teams kick the ball around a bit. Team who plays better defense will win.
I actually like Hill when he is on but I see Knights getting to him and having chance to sweep at home.

Should be a fun double header for whoever makes the trip to Muscatine. The new rankings have muscatine #5 pv #9.

Muskies sweep PV 15-0 (4 innings ) 4-3.
Bettendorf sweeps Assumption in two huge and nerve wrecking games 5-4, 3-1.

Sets up two big double headers Thursday. Bettendorf at Pv and Muscatine at Central. Bettendorf of PV sweep, Muskies must as well to share title. A split by any of the teams require help from the other double header.

Exciting way to finish the season!

And then there were three!

Assumption laid an egg at home against Bett and were swept away and out of title contention.
Errors in both games played hige roles in determinning the outcome of both games.

Muscatine looks to be in drivers seat now. Burkamper has gone on three days rest numerous times and he and Torres should be good enough to handle Central twice.
PV and Bett will be hoping for a sweep of the other and a Central win in either game to perhaps create three way tie.
Should be fun!

Kudos to the West Falcons! I know I wrote them off awhile ago but gotta be proud of the way they have finished! Could they be the North of the tournament this year?

Muscatine got the MAC crown and earned it with big wins when they needed it. Muskies will be a very tough out with Burkamper on the hill. Their substate is not exactly loaded (Burlingotn, North, West, Central and NS) but as we have seen the last couple of years the MAC champ has not always faired too well come tourney time. North last year advanced with a mediocre record. NS is in this substate and their offense could rise to occasion. Playing the best ball of late may be the West Falcons. Can they find some magic like North did last year? I like Muscatine to advance with their number one seed all the way to Principle Park.

Bett, Clinton and PV join Western Dub, Hempstead and Senior in this substate. PV will get the bye if they can get passed Senior which may be easier said then done. Bett has to like their chances with three quality pitchers in Hill, Ulrich and Klabunde. Clinton's offense will scare some as well.
I like Bett to advance in this bracket.

Assumption drops to 3A for the tourney and draws Marion in first round at Solon. Marion has a stud lefty on the hill and will give Knights all they want. Assumption lost 6 straight to end season and is dealing with an emotional death of one of their students. Can they focus and win some games? If they get by Marion, Solon or West Delaware loom in second round before a potential rematch with Dub Wahlert possibly in the District Final next Wednesday.
The Knights have the talent but better strike quickly tomorrow or Levi Lochner will be tought o hit with a lead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT