ADVERTISEMENT

Last 3-Peat?

Jan 7, 2018
Class 1A GVC has the opportunity to go back-to-back-to-back. It won’t be an easy task but curious if anyone knows who and when the last team was to do that?

Paulina 1968-70
Regis 1982-84
Palmer 1986-88
Heelen 2009-11

I think that's it.

No offense, but could you define “not easy”? I see no one in 1A who is going to come within 10 pts of GVC....you might as well engrave the trophy now

Reactions: Saywhat2
I agree with Cheer. Unless there are injuries or illness, I have a hard time seeing a 1A team they shouldn't handle easily.

But, you still need to play the games...

They won't be very strong next year, so this year could be it.

No offense, but could you define “not easy”? I see no one in 1A who is going to come within 10 pts of GVC....you might as well engrave the trophy now

Of the teams I've seen, ACA is the only one that could challenge them. Montezuma is ranked second, but outside of Shearer, I wasn't hugely impressed when we played them. They had trouble with Clapper, I have no idea how they'd deal with Montes, Samake and Sissoko.

SSGT
Not to sidetrack the thread, but is Clapper the big, burly center? I've been really impressed with him the last 2 years. Given his size, you wouldn't expect much. But he has a really great shooting touch and is very coordinated and fluid. Good court awareness too. He's going to ISU for football right? I wish him well there (coming from a hawkeye).

SSGT
Not to sidetrack the thread, but is Clapper the big, burly center? I've been really impressed with him the last 2 years. Given his size, you wouldn't expect much. But he has a really great shooting touch and is very coordinated and fluid. Good court awareness too. He's going to ISU for football right? I wish him well there (coming from a hawkeye).

Yep, All State OT in football. about 6'4, 290. Great footwork, soft hands, good touch around the rim. He's also surprising nimble for his size, good quickness and pretty good jumping ability...has had a couple of dunks in his career. Also fantastic with his interior passing. We have a couple of other bigs that are more athletic, he's able to find them with good passes on cuts, hits them in good position and ready to go on the catch.

He'll be a preferred walk on in football at ISU next fall. Oh, and he's a fantastic kid, though I am a bit biased since he's one of my son's best friends.

Reactions: mylameusername
I could see ACA giving GVC a tough game.
I think ACA is going to have a tough time in their District with Earlham, let alone their Substate Game with CB St Alberts. I know ACA has already beaten CBStA this year, but I would give nod to CB in the rematch. ACA is going to have 2 tough games in their District Final and Substate, not to mention Nodaway Valley which ACA shouldn't look past them.

Reactions: iowalongs230
I think ACA is going to have a tough time in their District with Earlham, let alone their Substate Game with CB St Alberts. I know ACA has already beaten CBStA this year, but I would give nod to CB in the rematch. ACA is going to have 2 tough games in their District Final and Substate, not to mention Nodaway Valley which ACA shouldn't look past them.
Isn't Undefeated Stanton in the other district that might play ACA at Sub State? Has anyone seen Stanton? How would they fair vs ACA?
Also, is anyone going to match up to GVC in 1A? They just beat a very good 2A Treynor team by 20...

Last edited:
Isn't Undefeated Stanton in the other district that might play ACA at Sub State? Has anyone seen Stanton? How would they fair vs ACA?
Also, is anyone going to match up to ACA in 1A? They just beat a very good 2A Treynor team by 20...

GVC was who beat Treynor, is that who you were referring to in the highlighted section? Because they also beat SC West.

GVC was who beat Treynor, is that who you were referring to in the highlighted section? Because they also beat SC West.
Oops, yes I meant GVC...
GVC will not 4-pet, they are loaded with SRs and several good players left prior to this year...the cupboard will be bare nxt yr...

Reactions: SSG T
Oops, yes I meant GVC...
GVC will not 4-pet, they are loaded with SRs and several good players left prior to this year...the cupboard will be bare nxt yr...

Honestly, I'm not seeing it. They might completely collapse, someone might play a shockingly good game, but that's what it would take. I don't know if they're as good as last year, but they have a different make up. I just can't see anyone even coming close to matching that front line. Add in their solid guard play and that's a real tough ask.

Throw in that Montes, Samake and Sissoko can all shoot the 3...

Oops, yes I meant GVC...

Until we see the team on the floor next fall, I’m going to assume the Stubbs family will find some new talent to fill the void. Why mess with success?

Honestly, I'm not seeing it. They might completely collapse, someone might play a shockingly good game, but that's what it would take. I don't know if they're as good as last year, but they have a different make up. I just can't see anyone even coming close to matching that front line. Add in their solid guard play and that's a real tough ask.

Throw in that Montes, Samake and Sissoko can all shoot the 3...
Who has a better backcourt (Montes, Samake, and Sissoko) in any class in the state? Osky had two greats, but lost Henry to hand injury...

Who has a better backcourt (Montes, Samake, and Sissoko) in any class in the state? Osky had two greats, but lost Henry to hand injury...

I don't know of any. Granted, I'm not as up on 4A as many, I'm at least familiar with decent chunks of the other classes. From what I've seen, even if there are better ones, GVC's would still hang with them.

And I will admit, I'm more familiar with GVC than any of our other opponents because a) we've played them so much the last few years. At least once every year my sons have been in HS (back to the GV Park Baptist days) and most years more than that. And b) because my younger son played summer/fall league and AAU with guys like Steve and Sam Glenn, Montes, Nyaw.

I remember reading on here in the early 2000s how the Danville 3 peat express was on track and nobody could beat them. If you're not familiar with how that ended, I'd encourage you to take a look.

Reactions: Saywhat2
I remember reading on here in the early 2000s how the Danville 3 peat express was on track and nobody could beat them. If you're not familiar with how that ended, I'd encourage you to take a look.

Took a look, no info other than they stopped at back to back and didn't make the tourney the 3rd year.

I guess I would ask, were they destroying other teams in their class, beating good teams in bigger classes (including good 4A schools), have a front line few teams in any class in the state can match and lined up in a district/substate that they should walk through?

As I said earlier, it's possible they won't win state. However, the only team they might see between now and the tourney that might be able to keep the game within 20 is Mormon Trail, and they won't see them until substate.

GVC would beat Osky by 30 with everyone on Osky healthy.
Hilarious, Cubs!!! GVC beat Eddyville at home by 22. Osky beat Eddyville by 36 at Eddyville. GVC lost to IC west by 10. Osky scrimmaged them and although score wasn't kept the outcome was close. Not saying GVC wouldn't beat Osky but 30 points is an exaggeration at its finest.

Last edited:
I believe there are about 8 teams that could “compete” with GVC, and by compete I mean come within 15 points if they played really well. I mean it already has with Don Bosco who is not considered one of the elite class 1A teams. ACA could definitely could compete and beat them. now having played a few harder teams then there joke of a schedule before that will help them come tournament time. Montezume I feel is extremely overrated and will lost to west fork in substate. Bishop Garrigan is ultra tall and has some good wins, and some bad losses tho. New London could beat them. They have superior guard play and can play at the same speed as GVC if not faster. My point being in all of this is that there not unbeatable but very good. It’s going to take a team with much superior guard play and getting Samake and Sissko in foul trouble. Anyone else have thoughts on this or criticisms?

I believe there are about 8 teams that could “compete” with GVC, and by compete I mean come within 15 points if they played really well. I mean it already has with Don Bosco who is not considered one of the elite class 1A teams. ACA could definitely could compete and beat them. now having played a few harder teams then there joke of a schedule before that will help them come tournament time. Montezume I feel is extremely overrated and will lost to west fork in substate. Bishop Garrigan is ultra tall and has some good wins, and some bad losses tho. New London could beat them. They have superior guard play and can play at the same speed as GVC if not faster. My point being in all of this is that there not unbeatable but very good. It’s going to take a team with much superior guard play and getting Samake and Sissko in foul trouble. Anyone else have thoughts on this or criticisms?

Can’t argue with your take at all.
Garrigan has great size and I hear dealt with some injuries so if they’re healthy they could be a team to watch. New London is definitely dangerous. ACA certainly has a tougher path and St. Albert will give them all they can handle on a neutral court if they would meet up. There is always the question too on how teams that make it to Des Moines will handle the big stage. Doubt GVC will be impacted much based on their recent success there. Also, you’re right on target, Samake and Sissoko will be key so they can’t be riding the pine in foul trouble for GVC to have a chance at winning 3 in a row.

Anyone know much about George-Little Rock? With their only loses being to Boyden-Hull they’re having a great year as well and could be another one to watch.

Some good thoughts and questions, Anonymous111.

No, GVC is not unbeatable (for example if they play an entire game like they played the first half vs. Aplington-Parkersburg, yes they could be beaten). And yes foul trouble or injuries could of course impact a game.

But as far as facing teams with “superior guard play”…well, GVC has faced teams with superior guard play. For example, North Linn in last year’s final, and then this year: Iowa City West, Don Bosco, Des Moines Christian, Prairie City-Monroe, Treynor, Aplington-Parkersburg, and especially Sioux City West. Sioux City West’s strength is its guard play and GVC won 77-62 (now that was one of the best games GVC played all year and probably not one of SCW’s best, so I don’t take it as fully indicative of their relative strengths).

GVC is strong defensively on the interior—opponents’ 2-point field goal percentage is only 37%. But what often gets missed is their perimeter defense--their opponents’ 3-point field goal percentage this season is 24%.

Here’s each game showing GVC’s opponents’ 3-point percentage (makes-attempts), vs that same opponent's season 3-point shooting percentage. With only one exception, their opponents shot a lower percentage than their season average (and often dramatically lower).

· Earlham 20.0% (3-15) vs. season 35.8%
· Nodaway Valley 21.7% (5-23) vs. season 30.6%
· Iowa City West 27.8% (5-18) vs. season 41.2%
· Don Bosco 31.8% (7-22) vs. season 34.5%
· Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont 7.1% (1-14) vs. season 32.0%
· Des Moines Christian 26.3% (5-19) vs. season 30.4%
· Centerville 33.3% (3-9) vs. season 35.3%
· Baxter 18.8% (3-16) vs. season 22.8%
· Glidden-Ralston 23.1% (3-13) vs. season 18% (only exception)
· Roland-Story 29.2% (7-24) vs. season 31.7%
· Sioux City West 35% (7-20) vs. season 41.7%
· Bedford 32.1% (9-28) vs. season 36.9%
· Collins-Maxwell 21.4% (3-14) vs. season 25.6%
· Prairie City-Monroe 32.1% (9-28) vs. season 33.5%
· Interstate-35, Truro 20.0% (2-10) vs. season 28.6%
· Meskwaki Settlement 16.7% (3-18) vs. season 25.3%
· Treynor 5.9% (1-17) vs. season 33.0%
· Aplington-Parkersburg 23.1% (6-26) vs. season 33.0%

I highlighted a few that are especially interesting due to the level of competition and the disparity in game vs season 3-pt %. Note that ICW, Treynor, and AP were away games, while EBF and SCW were so-called "home" games (GVC had 3 different "home" gyms this season).

So, GVC can defend against guards who drive to the basket (getting swatted by Samake or Sissoko), but they can also more than hold their own against pull-ups and kick-outs for 3.

To summarize, GVC is certainly not unbeatable. But "superior guard play" will not necessarily in and of itself be GVC's undoing.

Reactions: JustCourtney
Great analysis IowaLongs! Although North Linn was a very good team last season, I don’t think anyone can argue that they played an absolutely atrocious schedule which can attribute to there extremely attractive looking stats. Especially from there guards. Don’t get me wrong though Jake Hilmer was an amazing player but had he played say grandviews schedule, his stats would not have been much better then Grants stats, but hey that’s just my opinion. Grandviews length is a huge advantage for them when closing out on shooters. But I did look and Sioux City West 2 starting guards had 19 and 15 a piece which are great numbers from any backcourt. But yes I concur that there defence is very good even on the perimeter, but I was more trying to say that your most likely not going to outplay there front court, but very possible to outplay there backcourt. Though they do have a strong blackcourt, it’s not the best in class 1A. They for sure are the team to beat right now and I don’t think anyone will beat them, but it is possible under the right circumstances

Reactions: iowalongs230

Good analysis there. I agree with your take on Montezuma. SICL seems to be down this year. And they got destroyed by North Linn. Although many teams have.

Reactions: Anonymous111
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT