ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa/UNI/ISU...

MitchL

Varsity
Oct 31, 2005
The other thread has become a little outdated and crowded. Thought we could start a thread based on the results of the new season since it has already began.

If this is a bad idea... carry on!

The dual this weekend can be a starting point.

For anyone driving west from Iowa City on I-80 after the Iowa/ISU dual on Saturday evening... With the possibility of an Iowa shutout, please be alert for an adult walking along the shoulder of the road with a cardinal red jacket with the word "Coach" on the back.

Nice
smile.r191677.gif

Colon booted from UNI by Schwab apparently for academic issues. Another Weber product bites the dust. Hope Weber has better luck with his latest Mason City recruit!

Another Weber product bites the dust? Sounds like you have some personal issues with Clear Lakes coach. I don't see how "another" one bites the dust!

There's a lot more to it. CL coach has done little for his kids other than coach them. And then there's that ethics issue from about 6-8 years ago when he was "involved" with a sitting school board member when his future with the school district was in doubt.

So yea, you could say I don't think too highly of him. A good coach, the kids apparently like him, but not what I would call a model citizen.

The "another one bites the dust" comment is in reference to the fact that an extremely small number of his kids have done much in their post-high school wrestling careers. And it just seems that coincidentially, some of the better kids from Mason City have mysteriously found their way to the CL wrestling room.

Then there's that famous run in he had with fans of an opposing school in a post match near riot. Apparently enough of a problem that the two schools involved ended their rivalry because of the threat of future problems.

This coach is a real piece of work! The fact that Colon has/had academic issues likely goes back to how he was treated as a high school athlete and where the priorities were. After all... he had to start at ICCC, so the studying part of student/athlete started before he got to Cedar Falls.

I've got more to add, but you get the idea.

Almost forgot to add the thing with the "funny money" and how he handled the discipline for his 'star" wrestlers.
This post was edited on 12/7 10:02 PM by MitchL

My favorite Weberism was when a ref tried to disqualify a wrestler from the North Central Conference meet in 07 or 06 because he had a ton of open herpes sores all over and Coach Weber had a chiropractor friend of his to sign a note saying it wasn't contagious and the kid wrestled and 2 1/2 weeks later every 160 lber in NC Iowa had it. The Iowa high school AA had to make the Weber rule giving a ref the right to overrule a written letter from a Dr. if there were obvious open sores. Weber tried to claim the other teams in the conference gave to CL even though CL had it 2 weeks before anyone else. I overheard a couple NCC coaches that year discribe Weber as the "Clear Lake Lie 'n"

The only people that don't think he's a slimeball are residents of Clear Lake. EVERYONE else has the same opinion of him.

You're sure a class act buy going on a rant about a guy. I simply asked how "another one bites the dust." So does this make Creston's coach a piece of crap because Andrew Long turned out the way he did? I happened to wrestle for Gary and would be one of those guys that didn't do much in my wrestling career after high school. But if biting the dust means I'm happily married with a beautiful daughter and a career I love, I'll gladly bite the dust any day!

Yes, Colon being booted off the team is wrestling forum news worthy. But for you to take it further than that and attack someones character, to me, kind of shows your true color.

I don't need to defend him, but I will. Doesn't matter to me if you think he's a slimeball. I don't necessarily agree with many of his personal decisions. But he was a hell of a coach! In the room, and on the mat he devoted 100% of his attention to his wrestlers, which is a lot more than I can say about other coaches out there.

I just don't think that you needed to take a cheap shot at a high school coach on a forum titled "Iowa/UNI/ISU." Its obvious what you're intentions were, and I hope you got the response you were looking for!

I am proud to know that my kids played for a coach who after winning a state championship talked to the players about not letting that define who they are as people but to use it as a springboard for doing great things in their life. If a coach only worries about what those players do in their sport then he is shortchanging those kids and their experience. The role of a coach should be as coach and educator.

Following the ISU dual against NDSU, is there anyone left that actually believes it was a good decision to have Meeks wrestle this season? This is going to go down as a tremendously wasted season for him when he could have gotten stronger and learned weight control WITHOUT burning a year of eligibility.

This could potentially destroy his self confidence because I doubt the kid has ever been in a situation where he knows he's going to lose a match before he even steps onto the mat.

Really sad to see this happening.

Go Clones Go Clones Go Clones

You know I don't think you can measure it right now whether it was good to have Meeks wrestle this season until after the year is over with, but I can promise you this, him wrestling and getting beat is the best thing for him because you only get better when you wrestle kids that are better than you and it probably is the best thing for him. As far as learning weight control, I believe he probably already knows how to handle his weight and in my experience I always thought it to be a lot easier to cut weight in college than it was in high school because you learn to do it the right way rather than cutting weight in high school, but that is just a personal observation. I believe he is around the right people that he never believes he is going to lose a match before stepping onto the mat, but again just personal observation. On a side note, I know you are bias towards Hawkeyes and I understand that you are Pro-Iowa but I feel like there may be a personal vendetta against him and not the whole ISU team, on a side note do you think they bump Gambrall up to 197 and wrestle him there and tell him to pack on the weight

If it is a great thing to wrestle better people and geat beat why do the majority of the top programs redshirt most of their true freshman?

Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner. Good take on that cid. Getting pummeled this much, this early, is not doing much for his mental state. In fact... I would be willing to bet that Meeks is not wrestling for ISU by the time he's a senior. And the thing that is most telling... is that Daddy Meeks has been silent recently. I'll bet the family is having some serious doubts about their decision to wrestle for Jackson. Not publically, but behind the scenes.

BTW: I have no beef with the Meeks' clan other than I thought the derogatory remarks about the Iowa program were not justified. I think they felt slighted that Brands and Co didn't kiss their butts like KJ likely did. Meeks needed Iowa MORE than Iowa needed Meeks. And given the results so far by Gilman and Clark... I think it's safe to say Brands made the right decision on who he offered.

Most of the top programs such as Minnesota, Iowa, and OSU are deep at many weights to be honest with you where I bet ISU Meeks is probably the best wrestler between 125-141, thus to get better he needs to wrestle better competition. Look I am not saying that it is the right decision or not nor am I saying ISU was the right choice over Iowa, I am sure he had offers besides ISU. I am just saying it is way too early to tell, now after the season is over with then you can make your observations. Clark's win over Delgado is very impressive, Iowa very well could dominate 125 for the next 4 years after McD is done, Gilman better plan on going 133 in the near future because I am not sure he will be able to beat Clark out at 125 next year or Ramos at 133.

I don't see as bright a future for Meeks at ISU, apparently, as you might. There aren't any quality workout partners in the room. And given the unstable coaching situation... who can they get given that situation? Having TN is better than having Yero. but an asst. coach can't be the only help for Meeks.

I have a good friend who is an ISU fan. Hard to believe, I know. But he told me he feels the same way and he's seen a few of Meeks' matches this year. Says he doesn't look confident and doesn't seem to be enjoying himself. Obviously looks can be deceiving, but given how much success he enjoyed in high school, getting tossed around this much in college can destroy someones' confidence. This caliber of talent isn't accustomed to losing this much.

Again... it might be a little early to write his career off, but there's a precedent to his situation where kids that were high school studs ended up being a college bust. Time will tell.

I have seen several coaches sit a stud freshman for the good of the individual and the good of the program, heck they tried to redshirt Lincoln Mc until it just became very apparent that he was ready. Not sure that is the case here.

Getting back to the situation regarding Meeks, look no further than the results of Ryak Finch since his arrival in Ames. The kid was a prized national recruit who came to Ames three years ago and has little, if any, chance to AA this season. Absolutely no one in the room to push him to get better. Now some may argue an injury, being undersized, blah blah blah! Fact is, he has been a huge disappointment by any standard. No offense, which is quite alarming for a lighter weight wrestler.

I still predict Meeks is gone the minute KJ is terminated. Redshirt next season and transfer to Minny or Nebby would seem like a good outcome to me. Problem is... Daddy Meeks will be seeking a full ride, and that ain't happening outside of Ames.

I would love to see him go to Minny personally, I think redshirt a year due to transferring, wrestle with a very deep team and I absolutely love watching the Dardanes wrestle to be honest and they will push him with Thorn up there as well, very deep team at lighter weights to make him better. Just my opinion though and that is bias being a Gopher fan as well

The thing that keeps most traditionally strong programs strong, is that they are able to keep kids whose eligibility is gone around after they finish their careers. Teams like OSU, Minny, Iowa, and most recently. PSU all can boast this fact. ISU simply hasn't developed light weight success. It's should come as no suprise that ISU has been so bad in the lower weights since KJ arrived. His staff has been unable to develop kids. TnT will help the upper weights, but what happens to them after KJ gets canned next spring?

The final nail in the coffin for the fans will be if ISU loses to UNI. Even with a win over the Panthers, KJ will need a top 15-20 finish at Nationals to save his job, imo. That will take 3-4 AAs to achieve that. Looking at that lineup... just don't see it happening. Their best hopes to AA would be Beard and Gibson. That won't be enough.

Things must be getting better in Ames. Now the fanbase is touting about how they "barely" lost to Oklahoma, and if so and so had been in the lineup they could have won the dual.

Meanwhile, the fans in IC are mad as hell because some Hawk wrestlers aren't getting tech falls and falls.

Just goes to show how different expectations can be with two programs.

Oklahoma will be at UNI next Friday the 18th. The atmosphere should be outstanding inside West Gym.

Though I would classify UNI's schedule to date as somewhat soft, the matchup with Oklahoma should feature some good matches. I also think it will give fans a pretty good comparison to how UNI could do against ISU. At home... I like UNI in this one.

A pair of really nice wins for the Panthers this past weekend. Upsetting #13 Oklahoma and #21 Northwestern. UNI hosts #7 Missouri this Sunday at 2 pm

This post was edited on 1/22 6:45 AM by Weasel103

I'm gonna update my Nationals prediction for ISU at this point given what we've seen so far. The only real chance for the Clones to get an AA might be Gadsen. Beard and Gibson are in tough weight classes and haven't shown much. Beard is a HUGE disappointment to date. And predicting for Gadsen is iffy, at best. How does he perform in a grueling 3 day tourney?

KJ will be WALKING back to Gilbert to get the last of his possessions come mid March. The Clones might beat last years" 35th place finish, but not by much!

I don't care how bad of a situation he walked into following CS. Four years later and absolutely no thoughts of being a top 15 team. Fans in Ames are dreaming if they think any current top head coach wants that job. They'll get a top assistant from some some B1G school, at best. I'm not sure Branch would even listen to an offer. He's waiting for Smith to retire at OSU.

Impressive team win by ISU over UNI. Moreno and Gadsen are really making progress. The last few weeks have been very good for ISU!

One question, tho. Is the Hawaian kid redshirting for sure at 133 or is it possible he could still get the nod come tourney time. ISU doesn't have an answer for that weight right now. That kid is getting scholled almost every dual, it seems.

If he's a true freshman, it may have been a better idea to redshirt him.

I imagine you are talking about Shayden Terukin. It would be better just to use someone's name instead of some racial reference. You must have missed that in the MultiCultural NonSexist class. You are something I tell ya.

Originally posted by se xc1:
I imagine you are talking about Shayden Terukin. It would be better just to use someone's name instead of some racial reference. You must have missed that in the MultiCultural NonSexist class. You are something I tell ya.
I understand if you don't like someone who likes and readily points out the fact that your school's wrestling program sucks right now. I didn't know, however, that describing someone by using their geographic origin was racist - thanks for pointing that out. I always thought I was an American, not a Dutch German. but now thanks to you, I know.

Or perhaps you are just using that to try to tweak an Iowa fan, If that's the case you are being more racist than he is.

The "MultiCultural, NonSexist" political correctness is something that I had hoped hadn't penetrated wrestling. I am wrong. It is a failed experiment kept alive by our Govt., and pinheads on our college campuses - especially ISU and UI.

I'm sure I will be attacked for saying this, everyone who looks for, and cherishes opportunities to be offended bring it on!

This post was edited on 2/9 12:54 PM by Trackn_mat

There is no doubt that I don't care for MitchL, nor am I too happy with the state of the Cyclone wrestling program right now. But he even mentioned that he got the info from their website. So I went to it and easily looked up the kid I thought he was referring to. He could have easily done the same without making that comment. I don't think MitchL is racist one bit, however, a little tact in referring to someone doesn't hurt. Everyone on here knows I am the St. Edmond cross country coach. I also happen to be Polish, but no one has ever said, "you know, that Polish guy." I don't know who MitchL is. Maybe his name is Mitch and last name with an L. Whatever it is, I would refer to him as MitchL or Mitch or his last name, not by his ancestry. But hey, if it floats your boat, by all means do it, and I will exercise my 1st amendment right to voice my opinion.

I'm baffled how we got to the point of changing the discussion into a "racial" one! What the hell??

If you want to see references to "race"... go back to the Clone board and read someone's reference(I'm paraphrasing here)... "Can't understand how we(ISU) lost a black kid to Nebraska". That was a fans remark about losing out on Hall to Manning's program.

BTW: Referring to a kid by identifying him by his State of origin is not RACIST!

I thought your screen name was a fancy way of identifying yourself as "SEXY 1". Ha.

Originally posted by MitchL:

Impressive team win by ISU over UNI.? Moreno and Gadsen are really making progress.? The last few weeks have been very good for ISU!

? One question, tho.? Is the Hawaian kid redshirting for sure at 133 or is it possible he could still get the nod come tourney time.? ISU doesn't have an answer for that weight right now.? That kid is getting scholled almost every dual, it seems.

? If he's a true freshman, it may have been a better idea to redshirt him.
He's red shirting this year. ?They really don't have another 133 option. ?

Everyone will pile on me for making excuses but from what I hear Meeks is dealing with a leg injury. ? Tough break but it could happen to anyone. ? I'm not saying he's ready for D1 but we've seen some great wrestlers look bad when competing with injuries (reader, Gadson, Andrew Sorenson, Dan StJohn, etc). ??

This post was edited on 2/11 9:03 AM by supercyzd

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT