ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Preps High School Sports Talk

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
Find out what some of the top players in the state are saying about sports now!

Q&A with Dallas Center-Grimes defensive back Cole Kestel
How has everything with the football season been going so far?
“Starting off 0-4 is obviously not where we want to be to start the season off, but I’m confident with district play starting this week that we will be able to get things turned around and get our season back on track.”

Have you been pleased with how you have played this season?
“I have been happy with my performance up to this point but we are only halfway through the season. I know that how I’ve played up to this point doesn’t matter anymore, and with district play starting up, the team’s performance is really the only thing that I care about.”

How do you feel your team has played?
“I think that our team has played well, our record says otherwise, but I can assure you we are not an 0-4 team, we have played great competition up to this point and that has prepared us well for what is ahead of us.”

What do you feel your team can improve on?
“The main thing that our team can improve on is playing a full football game. And what I mean by that is that we have played all 4 quarters of a game well. Early in the season we didn’t play well in the first quarter and played great the rest of the game. And last game we played a great first half and didn’t do too well in the second. I’m excited to see if we can finally piece together a full game this week against Winterset.”

What are the keys for your team being successful going forward?
“Playing a full 4 quarters and playing them well. We have had a lot of leaders on our team go down and the guys that are filling those spots are playing very well, the challenge is can we all keep playing well together.”

Q&A with Clear Creek-Amana defensive end Brody Clubb
“It’s been good. We lost a lot of talent with the seniors but have been working hard and a lot of players have stepped up to fill in the gaps. We all like playing for Coach Haddy and under the environment he creates.”

“Yes and no. I always think that I can do better and always ask questions if I come out so that I can go back in and fix anything that I got beat on before. I know my coaches think they ask a lot of me to play both ways and not get much of a break but I love it. There’s nothing I’d rather do than be on the field impacting the game with my teammates.”

“I think we’ve just started to find our groove and will only go up from here.”

“Wrapping up and finishing tackles. Limiting mental mistakes and pre-snap penalties.”

“Being physical. Running the ball. Not giving up big plays on defense.”

Q&A with Carroll linebacker Payton Wardell
“So far this season has been off to the right start. We have good team chemistry and we all work hard. We’re headed into district play 3-1. We play BH/RV this Friday at home, and we are hoping for the win.”

“Sort of, I believe I can play a lot better. I’m not satisfied yet, but by the end of the season I hope to be. There is still a lot of football to be played.”

“I feel my team has done a great job but there’s still way more to be accomplished going into district play. We have some good athletes on the team such as Reece Ziegmann, Cooper Ludwig, Jack White, and Colton Wieland are just a few amongst many. Reece is a sophomore who is incredibly fast and has put up good numbers this season.”

“I believe that we can improve our ability to fight adversity. Even though we had many kids who were sick, I believe we would have fought harder against Gilbert.”

“Some keys for our team being successful – first, our self-discipline. We must keep staying focused on our tasks and make sure everyone does their job. Another key to our success is our hustle. We need to keep putting effort into every play even at practice. The last key to our success is teamwork. Football is a team sport, it’s not just the starters that matter. We wouldn’t be able to get a full live scrimmage if it wasn’t for our scout team.”

Q&A with Davenport Assumption running back Lane Gerard
“It’s been great, it’s felt really long because of our week 0 game. We had to be perfect earlier than most other teams.”

“I’ve been pretty happy after some games and pretty disappointed after others, I just need to be more consistent.”

“I think we’ve played well, we’ve just had really tough competition.”

“I think we can all work on being more consistent. We’ll have one really good drive then give up a big play on the next one.”

“I think our keys to winning moving forward are not giving up big plays and working on getting first downs rather than trying to make a huge gain every play.”

Q&A with Sioux Center linebacker Connor Kamerman
“Football has been a great experience so far. I feel like I've learned so much from all the amazing coaches we have. This team is awesome to be around and I see them all as a family.”

“I mean 1-3 isn't a record you want but this team has a lot of grit and determination. I'm happy with how I'm continuing to improve thanks to Coach VR and Coach Penning. I have high expectations for myself but I feel like I'm doing a good job so far. The job is not finished though and there are still ways I can get better.”

“I feel like our team has played with a lot of heart. We've made our mistakes but I'm also proud of how we've bounced back from them too. I'm pleased with how we continue to improve each and every week and always push each other in practice while still having fun.”

“The defense just needs to get off the field faster and our coaches have emphasized it to us recently. I feel like our defense has been good this year but the faster we can get the other team off the field and put it in our offense's hands the better.”

“Confidence is definitely a big key for this team. Our Coach talks about feeding your Alpha dog. Believing in yourself and your abilities to make plays out on the field.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News