ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa hires Heller!!!

Jul 27, 2012
There is hope the best Iowa preps may get the attention they deserve and may actually want to play for the black and gold again. I was a big fan of Heller at UNI and was among those who pledged money to UNI to save the program. (Still say the Regents were short sited with that decision- they wanted to cut academic programs and wanted to report athletic cuts first to cover their XXX) Wish it had come a little sooner I would have liked to see some other top recruits out of Iowa high schools the last few years land there but here is hoping for a return to better days.

Originally posted by mitchamee:
There is hope the best Iowa preps may get the attention they deserve and may actually want to play for the black and gold again. I was a big fan of Heller at UNI and was among those who pledged money to UNI to save the program. (Still say the Regents were short sited with that decision- they wanted to cut academic programs and wanted to report athletic cuts first to cover their XXX) Wish it had come a little sooner I would have liked to see some other top recruits out of Iowa high schools the last few years land there but here is hoping for a return to better days.
Couldn't imagine a better hire. Look for Iowa preps that would have gone somewhere else before to become Hawks.

Just wanted to jump in here and say "thumbs up" to this hire. I went through middle and high school with Rick, and played baseball with him in Babe Ruth (go, Eldon Reds!) and high school (Cardinal Comets, on to victory!). He's been a fantastic coach at Upper Iowa and UNI - it's a shame they shut down the UNI baseball program and forced Rick out of state.

But he's back now. Congratulations, Rick, and good luck building that Hawkeye program!

It is great to hear all the positive posts about Coach Heller! Let's hope he takes the program to the next level-competing for a Big Ten title and success in the NCAAs! Go Hawks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT