ADVERTISEMENT

***** IN GAME THREAD - Dowling Catholic vs. Cedar Rapids Washington *****

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
All updates, game talk, and post game thoughts should be in here. I'll be linking it on the front page!

#16 got called for an iffy late hit out of bounds on Snitker but just got away with a huge late hit out of bounds on Patrick.

14-7 Dowling. CR Wash on 3rd and 1. Incomplete pass on 3rd and 6. Punting. 11:49 left in 2nd Quarter

Dowling gets ball first in the second half, predicition--they drive and score 35-7??? Hold CR Wash score again and we have a running clock.

It appears time for overall seeding...West Des Moines and to a lesser extent Ankeny deserve re-seeding....it's about te the best teams in the state play for the title and not in the quarterfinals and semifinals
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by WDM_Wolverine:
It appears time for overall seeding...West Des Moines and to a lesser extent Ankeny deserve re-seeding....it's about te the best teams in the state play for the title and not in the quarterfinals and semifinals
Dowling blew out Ankeny and came close to blowing out Waukee.

Not necessarily specific to this year. To your point Waukee and Valley would have been a better finals matchup. It's cyclical I guess....since the public and private West Des Moines schools have gotten competent coaching the evidence is overwhelming. It's not even an West vs. East arguement. The question is who is the best team in a 5 mile radius. Before getting all butt hurt...notice who has dominated the last 15-17 years.....cheers

Not necessarily specific to this year. To your point Waukee and Valley would have been a better finals matchup. It's cyclical I guess....since the public and private West Des Moines schools have gotten competent coaching the evidence is overwhelming. It's not even an West vs. East arguement. The question is who is the best team in a 5 mile radius. Before getting all butt hurt...notice who has dominated the last 15-17 years.....cheers
it seems you never post on here until finals week. Also, you're acting as if neither school has had good coaching. Dowling and Valley had good teams before Swenson and Wilson were there.

Before getting all butt hurt...notice who has dominated the last 15-17 years.....cheers

Anybody who uses the term butt hurt, I question their sexuality. Makes you sound like a moron.

WDM..W

Go clean your room - mom says.

To the history point I think the last 15 is about 10-5 in favor of the West including a OT win over a good IC team with very bad calls about 8 years ago or so and as someone mentioned in this thread a screw job to CRX 2 years ago. Should/easily could be 8-7.

I think the last 25 is about 13-12 in favor of the East including many blowouts similiar to the last 2 years.

I can honestly say I've attended them all but 1 or 2.

I was only able to see two Dowling regular season games this year and those games were against less than quality opponents. But this was the fifth state title game I've gone to (Dowling good luck charm right here) and I have to say that the past two years have been snoozefests. Granted, that's a good problem to have but it's just not good football to end the season with.

I don't think a reseed in the semifinals is the proper solution; I don't think any solution is necessary. As we've seen, it's not like the East has one or two titles in the last 20 years. We're experiencing an upswing in the level of football in suburban Des Moines (don't get me started on how annoyed I am when Dowling is referred to as WDM Dowling) but that's not to say that it won't change. Programs like Bett, Cedar Falls, and IC West/City High will always be highly competitive.

Congratulations must be given to this senior class. Boyle is simply a class-above. I remember back in 2007 when some of the Dowling coaches were talking about this kid from Newton. I don't think his quarterback game translates to the next level but he's an athlete, he'll find some way to get on the field.

And of course, Coach Tom Wilson deserves all the accolades he receives. I remember when he came to Dowling, we were a program floundering in the aftermath of the wing-T. He's taken the program to new heights and has done it with a constant level of class and professionalism that I think is more important than all the wins he's collected at the helm of the Maroons. Apart from being a great coach, he's a class-act and genuinely a good person. Now let's hope we get #6 before those orange fellows to our west.

Originally posted by bcmoore87:
My daughter:

"Dad, are you rooting for Car Wash or Dowling?"
That's funny...
roll.r191677.gif

That floundering Dowling wing-t was part of two state championships, was it night? Having watched most of the 4A championships or semifinals in the last 23 years or so, I'd put those two Dowling teams in my top five 4A teams in that time span.

Originally posted by iceland:
That floundering Dowling wing-t was part of two state championships, was it night? Having watched most of the 4A championships or semifinals in the last 23 years or so, I'd put those two Dowling teams in my top five 4A teams in that time span.
Not that it really matters at this point, but the wing-t that won back-to-back championships then went 15-13 in the final three years of the Dowling wing-t era.

Those two teams were great and had serious athletic talent. But the record in the final three years shows an inability to adapt.

Just to bring this full-circle, since Dillon left following the 2004 season, Dowling has gone 104-18. That's a .852 winning percentage with 10.3 wins/season and 1.8 losses/season. We're in great hands.

Originally posted by GoBigD6788:

Not that it really matters at this point, but the wing-t that won back-to-back championships then went 15-13 in the final three years of the Dowling wing-t era.

Those two teams were great and had serious athletic talent. But the record in the final three years shows an inability to adapt.

Just to bring this full-circle, since Dillon left following the 2004 season, Dowling has gone 104-18. That's a .852 winning percentage with 10.3 wins/season and 1.8 losses/season. We're in great hands.
Not to beat a dead horse but I knew someone who has been at Dowling for 35ish years and has worked with a lot of the players. He said Matt wasn't the reason those teams were mediocre. It had to do with laziness (i.e. playing hooky from weight room) and drug use among the players.

Originally posted by DSMan:
Not to beat a dead horse but I knew someone who has been at Dowling for 35ish years and has worked with a lot of the players. He said Matt wasn't the reason those teams were mediocre. It had to do with laziness (i.e. playing hooky from weight room) and drug use among the players.
Drug use has been pretty bad at Dowling for a while now. It's impossible to use those factors as a means to distinguish Dillon from Wilson. The fact of the matter is that the program is at a point unseen before. Wilson is averaging a 10-1 record in a 10 season career. That's prolonged dominance at the highest level in the state in (arguably) the toughest conference at that level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT