ADVERTISEMENT

How did Iowa miss on this Kid?

Nov 10, 2009
Ran into a video on a Sioux City player Dom Thompson Williams. Just wondering how Iowa, Iowa St, & even Neb all missed on this kid? This guy is a stud athlete, & he's right in their own backyard. Thoughts??

Link to Doms Highlight Video Below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN2uE9Pc2CA

Dom Thompson Williams VIDEO

According to Sioux City Journal he committed to Iowa Western today for baseball & football. Its a juco school so maybe there's a chance he could sign with a D1 school in the near future. After watchin the video just amazed the 3 big D1 schools in his area didnt seem to take notice. Is the battle for nation-wide recruiting blinding these schools of whats right in front of them, nothing against Iowa, Iowa St & Nebraska but just saying my opinion... curious to hear what others think about this.

Could academics/grades be a factor as to the why a juco for the first year or two? Agree that he is a talented player!

He qualified. Just not sure what direction with either sport he wants to follow. So, he is doing both at a very successful program.

Dom is an honor roll student... not sure why everyone jumped to the grades/clearing-house assumption right away...

Dom wanted to play baseball and football at the college level. He will make a decision on which direction to head (baseball OR football) after his 2 years are up at Iowa Western. He is a great kid that has matured a ton mentally, physically and emotionally since his 9th grade year and I know whoever signs him in either sport after Iowa Western will be happy to have him in their program. Would he have made this decision if one of those 3 programs came knocking at his door for either sport? I have no idea, but I don't think it happened...

*Disclaimer: The following rant is, in no way, directed at taking anything away from the young men who were fortunate enough to sign with either school*

Was Dom's frame (6'0" 185) not big enough? Look at their recruits at DB/WR... identical to any of Iowa/Iowa State's with the one 6-4 kid being an exception.

Was the level of talent these kids played against better than what Dom faced each week? I'll buy that in baseball during the regular season, but I'm pretty sure Urbandale, Indianola, DM Lincoln, and Valley all have kids on Iowa & Iowa State's radar in football. (I left Ankeny off because Dom didn't play in that game due to injury) In baseball Perfect Game wrote about him in the summary every week for standing out vs the best competition in Iowa and topped it off by inviting him to the National showcase that only 3 Iowa players were invited to.

Since the creator of this thread is from Huskerpreps... what'd you think of the level of competition in Drake Martinez's highlight video? I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I watched that. My favorite scene in "The Waterboy" played out right in front of me on that kick return... By the way, I'm not comparing Nebraska... tough to argue with a top 25 recruiting class, congrats on that by the way.

Since I began following Sioux City sports closely over the past decade, this type of shunning and pre-disposed notion of kids in the area as irrelevant has just baffled me. As a former (as of now) Iowa fan, it has been compounded recently with the current slide in Iowa's football team and the perpetual mediocrity of their baseball team and it was climaxed with the fact that Iowa had to fight with the likes of Tulsa, Bowling Green, etc. for their recruits this year while ignoring a lot of in-state talent.

National recruiting blinders would be applicable except for the 4 Iowa kids the Hawkeyes brought in, as well as the 3 Iowa State brought in, not counting preferred walk-ons that aren't listed in press releases.

So... no... they didn't miss him... they just flat out ignored him.

While I think Dom will end up on a diamond instead of on the gridiron after he is done at Iowa Western, I wouldn't mind seeing him don the Red & White, Maize & Blue, or any other color combination besides Black & Gold and stickin it to 'em one time. As for me, I'm off my soap box and looking for a bandwagon to jump on. GBR? Go Ducks? Roll Tide?

EHS1505

I agree with you 100%, they ignored him. Thats my point, these schools are so worried about nation wide recruiting that they are ignoring whats right in front of them. I think Thompson Williams is a great player and a great person. I would love to see him in Red & White (no offense Iowa, Iowa St fans). As for Drake Martinez, I respect what his brother did at Nebraska. Do I expect the same from him? no, but he will have his chance to prove himself. The talent level on Drake's video did not impress me at all (no offense to Drake). Congrats to Iowa Western & Dom Thompson Williams, cant wait to see how this kid does in the future.

That was definitely no disrespect to Drake, you can still tell from the video that he's very athletic and has good football IQ. It's just a head scratching thing for me.. the biggest knock on Wegher during his recruiting days was the level of competition he played against. Then you see a video like that and it leaves you wondering why no one is questioning that in Drake's evals other than the YouTube responders. I think some of those teams would have difficulty competing with the tier 3 teams on a nightly basis.

Good luck to the Huskers this year.

This area was overlooked.

Skibinski, McReynolds and Dom could all have played D-1. UNI made out like a bandit over here...the three sioux city kids they signed will be really good players for them.

Originally posted by EHS1505:
Dom is an honor roll student... not sure why everyone jumped to the grades/clearing-house assumption right away...

Dom wanted to play baseball and football at the college level. He will make a decision on which direction to head (baseball OR football) after his 2 years are up at Iowa Western. He is a great kid that has matured a ton mentally, physically and emotionally since his 9th grade year and I know whoever signs him in either sport after Iowa Western will be happy to have him in their program. Would he have made this decision if one of those 3 programs came knocking at his door for either sport? I have no idea, but I don't think it happened...

*Disclaimer: The following rant is, in no way, directed at taking anything away from the young men who were fortunate enough to sign with either school*

Was Dom's frame (6'0" 185) not big enough? Look at their recruits at DB/WR... identical to any of Iowa/Iowa State's with the one 6-4 kid being an exception.

Was the level of talent these kids played against better than what Dom faced each week? I'll buy that in baseball during the regular season, but I'm pretty sure Urbandale, Indianola, DM Lincoln, and Valley all have kids on Iowa & Iowa State's radar in football. (I left Ankeny off because Dom didn't play in that game due to injury) In baseball Perfect Game wrote about him in the summary every week for standing out vs the best competition in Iowa and topped it off by inviting him to the National showcase that only 3 Iowa players were invited to.

Since the creator of this thread is from Huskerpreps... what'd you think of the level of competition in Drake Martinez's highlight video? I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I watched that. My favorite scene in "The Waterboy" played out right in front of me on that kick return... By the way, I'm not comparing Nebraska... tough to argue with a top 25 recruiting class, congrats on that by the way.

Since I began following Sioux City sports closely over the past decade, this type of shunning and pre-disposed notion of kids in the area as irrelevant has just baffled me. As a former (as of now) Iowa fan, it has been compounded recently with the current slide in Iowa's football team and the perpetual mediocrity of their baseball team and it was climaxed with the fact that Iowa had to fight with the likes of Tulsa, Bowling Green, etc. for their recruits this year while ignoring a lot of in-state talent.

National recruiting blinders would be applicable except for the 4 Iowa kids the Hawkeyes brought in, as well as the 3 Iowa State brought in, not counting preferred walk-ons that aren't listed in press releases.

So... no... they didn't miss him... they just flat out ignored him.

While I think Dom will end up on a diamond instead of on the gridiron after he is done at Iowa Western, I wouldn't mind seeing him don the Red & White, Maize & Blue, or any other color combination besides Black & Gold and stickin it to 'em one time. As for me, I'm off my soap box and looking for a bandwagon to jump on. GBR? Go Ducks? Roll Tide?
This post is way off target in my opinion.

Iowa recruits the Sioux City area regular, especially in basketball. There has been a ton of talent come out of the area in basketball, and Iowa has hit it as hard as possible. McCabe, Woodbury, and Gessell all from the Sioux City area. They've also taken

In football, Iowa has Michael Malloy (Heelan) and Cole Croston (SB-L) from the area in football. ISU has Cody Ahrendt (North), Eric Muilenberg (North), Jared Weaver (Woodbury Central), Brock Dagel (Cherokee - this is a little stretch), and Mitch Amundson (East) all on their rosters. I didn't bother to look at kids from NE towns near Sioux City or from Sioux Falls, which you can pretty much consider as part of the same area.

In football, someone brought up the example of Wegher. This is as far from the truth as I can see. He was a 4* star recruit with offers from all over the country. I don't see how anyone can think he was overlooked because of his competition.

As for Iowa, Iowa State, and Nebraska missing on the Sioux City kids...I think you're missing the boat here too. Iowa showed interest in Skibinski and Sweeney, but ultimately decided that they didn't deserve offers. I'm not aware that they looked into McReynolds or Spears at all, but it is possible.

Dom Thompson Williams isn't even in the Rivals database, so it seems that EVERY DI and DI-AA and DII school passed on him. Not sure why, as I've never seen him play. However, these coaches get paid to find the best players they can to have a chance to win. If his highlight tape was shown to the coaches of Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, UNI, KSU, North Dakota State, ect., and he didn't earn an offer from ANY of them, there is a reason. It's not because these coaches have some sort of dislike for Sioux City, IA.

I agree with Rose bowl 100% I looked back at the December 3rd edition of the end zone and it's obvious he had no intention of going to Iowa or Iowa State.

I was talking about football and baseball. The two sports Dom plays, who was the topic of this thread. I don't live in a cave, I know the 3 kids that are playing for Iowa in basketball.

Of those 7 kids you named, how many do you KNOW had scholarship offers? Or even preferred walk-ons for that matter? Outside of Malloy... I don't think any of them did. I know Amundson didn't.

Wegher's eval is now insider only on espn.com, but if anyone subscribes to that service I provided the link so you can copy and paste what it says here. I didn't say he was overlooked, I said in his eval they called into question the level of competition he played against each week.

Maybe they do that with Drake Martinez and others too... all full evals are now insider only, but I specifically remember it saying that in Brandon's back then.

If Iowa was out winning national titles in football and baseball I wouldn't question what they do, but they are definitely a long way from that. If they were pulling in 5 star recruits, I wouldn't question that either... but when they are fighting with Bowling Green for recruits... its tough not to wonder what is going on with their evaluation process. I've seen two special talents graduate and move on to very high level programs (Dean & Damek) and didn't see Iowa at any of their games ever. Iowa didn't even officially offer Lanning, one of the best all-around athletes in the state... that doesn't raise a red flag?

Go Ducks!

Wegher Eval

I was talking about football and baseball. The two sports Dom plays, who was the topic of this thread. I don't live in a cave, I know the 3 kids that are playing for Iowa in basketball.

Of those 7 kids you named, how many do you KNOW had scholarship offers? Or even preferred walk-ons for that matter? Outside of Malloy... I don't think any of them did. I know Amundson didn't.

Wegher's eval is now insider only on espn.com, but if anyone subscribes to that service I provided the link so you can copy and paste what it says here. I didn't say he was overlooked, I said in his eval they called into question the level of competition he played against each week.

Maybe they do that with Drake Martinez and others too... all full evals are now insider only, but I specifically remember it saying that in Brandon's back then.

If Iowa was out winning national titles in football and baseball I wouldn't question what they do, but they are definitely a long way from that. If they were pulling in 5 star recruits, I wouldn't question that either... but when they are fighting with Bowling Green for recruits... its tough not to wonder what is going on with their evaluation process. I've seen two special talents graduate and move on to very high level programs (Dean & Damek) and didn't see Iowa at any of their games ever. Iowa didn't even officially offer Lanning, one of the best all-around athletes in the state... that doesn't raise a red flag?

Go Ducks!
So you would have no problem if Iowa or Iowa State fought off NOBODY who was recruiting this kid? From what I can find, he didn't have any scholarships from DI or DIAA schools in football. If so, please point me toward where he was getting interest from. I'm not finding anything.

He also has made comments suggesting that the ability to play baseball was his top priority. From what I've read, this is probably a good idea with his talent in that sport. He's actually quoted as saying, "I also talked to Iowa and Iowa State (about football) but they don't have good baseball programs." Sounds like he was talked to by both coaching staffs, but the interest to play baseball was just too much. Not sure how that is Iowa or Iowa State's fault.

As for the baseball team at Iowa, they suck. They always have, just like other Northern teams. You aren't going to get the top prospects in the sport to a Northern campus when they can go South and play outside almost year round. It's just a matter of knowing the advantages and disadvantages. Some teams, like Nebraska, used to be able to compete at times, but their switch to the Big 10 is going to hurt them. No longer can they sell games in Texas and Oklahoma like they used to be able to.

Hard to follow why the OP is mad for Iowa "missing" on this kid? Sounds like sours grapes from a friend or family member. Could be a great kid and great player I don't know. But, to say Iowa missed on him is naive. Iowa recruits nationally, their goal is to get the best "possible" recruits in the country not the best players in Iowa. The Iowa criticism in this case is unwarranted. If Iowa "missed" on this kid so did every FBS and FCS team in the country.

Don't mean to argue here, just being realistic.

usfhawk
sorry should of worded it differently then using the term "missed". No I dont know the guy personally but just thought he looked like a great football player, no sour grapes haha. I understand its important to recruit nationally and Im sure these college scouts and coaches know what they are doing. I just saw the video and he had good talent it seemed, so I thought, a lot of schools in the area looked past him and I asked the simple question why. I should have worded it differently. From what I now understand Iowa & Iowa St both spoke to the kid and he said he was not interested in playing at either school and was looking more at his baseball career, which is why he seems to be going to Iowa Western. I learned of this info from asking the same question on the iowa.rivals.com message board. Good luck to the athlete and his school of choice.

Although on another note, I think its important to have a good mix of instate players and nationally recruited. Provides a good mix of heart & talent, & shows incoming talent form out of state recruits the respect the instate recruits have for the school and how much it means to represent the school. Just my opinion, everybody has one.

I think its important to have a good mix of instate players and
nationally recruited. Provides a good mix of heart & talent, &
shows incoming talent form out of state recruits the respect the instate
recruits have for the school and how much it means to represent the
school.

Really?? You really think this way? I'm glad the coaches at the U of I don't think that, or at least don't think they do. I personally want the Iowa coaches to go recruit the best players and best people from wherever they can find them. If Player A is from Dallas and is a little better than Player B from Ottumwa and has no character issues give me Player A. Some Iowa people need to realize that the talent pool in Iowa just isn't that good. Not a knock on Iowa or it's kids, it's mostly a numbers game. No different than me saying that 4A schools are better than 2A schools. It's all about how many potential kids you have to choose from to make up your team. In general, Iowa's 5th best player might not be the 50th best player in the state of Texas. Not because Iowa high school football is bad, but because there's more dudes to choose from in Texas.

So, no I don't think Iowa missed on this kid and I don't think they miss on any instate kids. They recruit who will fit them best and give them the best chance to win. Period.

Side note: Researched and there are 14 current Iowa HS grads in the NFL. 8 played at Iowa. 3 played at UNI, 1 at Drake (apparently everybody missed on those 4), 1 played at Nebraska (Vanden Bosh who I think was Nebraska all the way and Iowa had no chance at) and 1 at Purdue (Orton, again who I think Iowa had no chance at). If anybody has corrections or add-ons feel free.

Yes i think a good mix is the way to go. Recruit nationally and give scholarships to the best players you can get no matter where they are from. Then encourage in state talent to walk on. Nebraska does a great job at this thats why im a husker fan, no disrespect to iowa or iowa st, i think they are all very good programs. And i now agree they didnt miss on this kid, they talked to him and he said he wasnt interested at least thats what someone had posted on one of the boards, so my bad great job coaching staffs haha

Go Ducks!
It's easy to see you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Iowa's recruiting. Just so youknow many of Iowa 2013 class has multiple offers from Big ten, Big 12 and some from sec schools. Tulsa was Iowa's competition for one recruit. Why don't you do a little research before you prove how ignorant you are?

Just to be fair, most do not have multiple offers from big 10, big 12 or SEC schools. I did review the list for each committed player...did you?

3+ BCS offers = 11 players
Colin Goebel OL (11 BCS schools that offered)
Brant Gressel DT (8 BCS offers)
John Kenny LB (7 BCS offers)
Desmond King DB (4 BCS offers)
Derrick Mitchell Jr. ATH (7 BCS offers)
Malik Rucker DB (12 BCS offers)
Solomon Warfield DB (14 BCS offers)
Sean Welsh OL (8 BCS offers)
Derrick Willies WR (3 BCS offers - committed in April)
Jon Wisnieski TE (7 BCS offers)
Reggie Spearman LB (7 BCS offers plus others Mid-Majors)

0-2 BCS offers = 10 players
Nathan Bazata DT (Iowa and South Dakota St. - committed in April)
Ike Boettger TE (Iowa only)
LeShun Daniels RB (Iowa, Boston College, couple smaller)
Andre Harris ATH (Iowa and Illinois - committed in June)
Josey Jewell LB (Iowa and UNI - fallback recruit at the last minute)
Anjeus Jones
WR
Dallas, TX (Iowa, TTU, Colorado State)

Jonathan Parker
RB (Iowa only BCS, but Tulsa and Northern Illinois also offered)
Damond Powell JUCO WR (Iowa and Ohio)
Nic Shimonek
QB (Iowa - committed in May - was seeing interest from Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State)
Akrum Wadley
RB (Iowa and Temple only)

Technically, I guess most do have multiple BCS offers. However, the class is essentially half and half for kids that were pretty highly recruited and kids that were lightly recruited by the big boys. There are a couple that probably would have had more offers (Daniels - decommitted late, Harris - committed early, Bazata - committed early), but you can't say they did.

In the end, I don't think it's a huge deal that Iowa (along with the other 120 DI schools) passed on Dom Thompson Williams. He seems like a great athlete, but if he's not interested in playing football, then why waste the time recruiting him. The players above that are bolded and underlined are the kids that Iowa recruited instead of DTW.

If baseball is his top priority then Iowa is not a good place to go - baseball at the U of I is pitiful. Nebraska is certainly a better place to play bball but IWCC - is THE JUCO to play ball at to get to the next level. The Reivers program has averaged 46 wins a season with the current coach and has won the JUCO WS 2 of the past 3 seasons while placing 3rd in other.

If he couldn't commit to playing 1 sport in college it's a no brainer pass for a D1 coach.....

Football at the college level is a full time job, all year around. If he wasn't willing to commit to that then the program isn't going to be willing to commit to him.

I've seen a lot of kids not go out for baseball their senior year because their college football coaches told them to focus on football not baseball.

Also, UNI is D1.
This post was edited on 5/31 12:24 AM by clenz213

There are a lot of kids like Dom Thompson Williams around the country that get over looked for one reason or another. Did he go to summer camps to try to snag some attention and a scholarship offer?

If he wants to go play at the D-I level, then Iowa Western is a good start. In their short history being in Council Bluffs, they have sent a ton of players to D-I programs.

Overall, Dom will have every opportunity to earn a D-I scholarship over the next two years.

Im not a recruit or someone who judges players talents but there has to be some reason all D1 schools passed up on him. Sure the baseball thing might be one reason but then again look at Bo Jackson.

The kid will figure out how to make one of hte two work best for him, and as many people have already said IWCC is a powerhouse JUCO in both sports so if he does/did decide to go there he isn't making a bad choice for a program.

And UNI being D1...really...in what? Baseball?..which they dont have a program for anymore? Football?..where they play at the FCS level against teams like Drake, Southern Illinois etc? Basketball?..which isn't even part of the topic but the amount of teams that play at the D1 level at that is ridiculous which almost half shouldnt be allowed to be considered a D1 school for that sport. Come on man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT