ADVERTISEMENT

Heelan Lemars, and other forfeits

R1224

Freshman
Mar 1, 2006
We are up to around 90 posts on the Heelan-Lemars forfeit. I did notice in one of the newspaper articles that several other regular season games have been forfeited for the same violation.

So what we have is not working. When you have multiple games forfeited in a year, it should be apparent that asking coaches to self-police is not a good choice. It makes one wonder how many games used illegal players and got away with it. I am not saying coaches are devious, and cynically trying to gain some edge, but sometimes stuff happens.

So...

Coaches and umpires meet at the plate before every game. Each coach is already keeping records of pitchers innings, etc. Each coach would share with the umpires and the other coach those records, who is eligible to pitch, and who is not. If there is any question, settle it before the game. And....(sorry Smoky Barr) but the umpires have to be the arbitrator in that situation, if there is a dispute. This would take about one minute to do. There is a fair amount of idle conversation in that pregame meeting now, I think spending one minute to prevent controversy later is well worth it.

With today's technology, cmon man. Just make it a requirement that coaches put stats in quickstats after every game and before the next game. The opposing coach, using his smart phone, would have access to all the stats prior to the game and then could raise the question when it occurs. He could show the violating coach and the umps the stats. Pretty simple really. I know my coach had our guy, who keeps the book, put stats in quickstats on his smart phone on the way home from a road game. When I got home and checked quickstas, the game was already in. Don't give me, "The coach doesn't have a smart phone, or understands today's technology." I am sure one of the players has one and could easily do it for the coach if that is the case. In today's world, this should not be an issue. Failure to have the stats from previous game in prior to the game = forfeit. Coaches are like kids, set the bar high and they will jump over it.

The quikstats after the game is dumb I say make you do it by every Sunday. Why should an opposing coach who was at my game get to know who threw for the other team Monday? You can change gameplay based on who is throwing for other team. If they don't scout my team or can't that's too damn bad that's their own fault. But they shouldn't get an advantage etc they got by 10 years ago without it so why do they think they NEED to know now. It is a great tool though and helps more than bad dont get me wrong that's just one thing though.

The thing about Quikstats, though, is that the coaches can basically put in whatever they want. Sure, 98$ of the time they put things in exactly like they were, but I have noticed many games where the stats differ depending on which coach put them in. Typically, these discrepancies are minimal, like one coach saying their team had 7 hits while the other coach saying their pitches only gave up 6 hits. But with a program like this, you always have to look out for human error. And the ability to pad stats is not only tempting, but very possible.

I am talking solely about the innings pitched situation, not padding of stats or scouting. The scouting thing is a good point, but all I was trying to say is that, the innings pitch and the debacle-no matter who is at fault here- could have been prevented by modern technology.

It could of been prevented if the LeMars Coaches (plural) knew what not to do, and that is putting in an illegal pitcher.

There is no excuse for not knowing the rules. It is clearly written with examples for most scenarios. Any coach worthy of coaching a varsity program should know the rules of the game they coach.

i agree, quickstats is at mercy of what the coach puts there....even the football quickstats has changed with some teams, where some coaches will not evven put in the postion a player is at.....i don,t get that at all..what difference does it make what positions a football player is at

This post was edited on 7/28 11:21 PM by ronsss

This isn't rocket science. The state has a site with pitchers and innings no different that they currently do with scores. If you fail to post those 2 things within 12 hours after a game you get 1 warning (during the regular season-post season there are no warnings) and for a second violation you forfeit your NEXT unplayed game.

If the website is down and you cannot post within 12 hours you can contact the next opposing team coach or AD and relay the information to them and later post your pitching information.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT