ADVERTISEMENT

Free Blocking Zone gone?

Parker D

Freshman
Oct 21, 2009
One of the rule change proposals by the NFHS would eliminate the free blocking zone. Their reason is that eliminating cut blocking would help reduce the number of knee/leg injuries. This is a major change and the coaches, and even the IHSAA are fighting it. Bad idea IMO. Are there really that many injuries because of cut blocking? Does this hurt the little guy that has no hands/speed (or young guy) and is put on the line? Hopefully this doesn't pass.

All for this rule. Seen too many illegal blocks missed because of this. Among them LBs blitzing and getting their knees taken out. If you have a younger or slower guy than the d lineman in front of you, I guess defense wins until he learns to block better

This post was edited on 1/15 2:45 PM by rkhemp

Originally posted by rkhemp:
All for this rule. Seen too many illegal blocks missed because of this. Among them LBs blitzing and getting their knees taken out. If you have a younger or slower guy than the d lineman in front of you, I guess defense wins until he learns to block better

This post was edited on 1/15 2:45 PM by rkhemp
I don't agree that you should change a rule because the officials miss the call. Coaches from 8-Man through 4A are nearly unanimously against this. That's enough for me. The cut block is actually expanded to the entire field at the next level. Why take it away at this one?

Coaches were unanimously against the new kick off rules, but rules change and coaches get over it. And the coaches I have spoken to are not unanimously against the change.

The consensus of the IFCA is to oppose the change. Here is the stance by the IAHSAA, followed by the IFCA:

IHSAA Viewpoint-

At this time, I am not comfortable supporting this proposal. I believe it will hurt the game and take the "little guy" out of the game by forcing him to block a lineman above the waist. In addition, I am not aware of any research that is showing the increase in knee injuries due to these low blocks.
[/QUOTE]
IFCA Viewpoint-by Steve Milder

As the NFHS Football Rules Committee considers eliminating all blocks
below the waist, I believe a discussion needs to take place to insure what
changes should happen if any. Why would coaches, officials and athletic
associations want the change? We need clarity on terminology that will help
both coaches and officials. Finally, do we need to change the rules or enforce
the rules already in place?

As a forty year veteran of high school football, I've seen many
changes to our game. I have not always agreed with the changes but sometimes we
have no say. On issues such as blocking-below-the-waist in the free blocking
zone, it is hard to get total support for either side. But to say nothing, does
not help those looking at this rule. I want to thank those coaches who attended
the regional meetings that discussed this issue as well to the coaches that
completed the online survey that was part of emails sent by Todd Tharp on
December 2nd and 11th.

IFCA
Recommendation

In January the Football Advisory Committee will meet in Boone and the
IFCA will make a recommendation on blocking-below-the-waist in the free
blocking zone. The consensus of the seven regional meetings was to leave the
rule the same and to ask for more consistency in the enforcement. The Board of
Directors approved this recommendation and it will be our position.

Terminology

As I looked for guidance on blocking-below-the-waist, I couldn't find
a clear definition of what is the waist. I've often thought if they mean on the
Jersey why not say that. For example, on a crackback block by a wide receiver
on a linebacker, why not say that the block must be on the front of the jersey?

Rule 2-3-7 gives a definition for blocking-below-the-waist (NFHS, 2012).
On run blocking using the shoulder block (some still do), as the blocker makes
contact with the defender, the clinched hand could be just above the thigh pad
and the top of the Shoulder Pad could make contact with the Jersey. So is he
above the waist? Rule 2-3-7 does not state entirely above the waist nor does it
address any part above the waist.

In 2011, an article on cut
blocks
stated that most coaches use this term for blocks at and below the knee but the NFHS does
not have this as one of the definitions in the Rule 2: Definitions in the
football sport manual(Snyder, 2011).

Free Blocking Zone is a rectangular area extended laterally 4 yards
either side of the spot of snap and 3 yards behind each line of scrimmage
(NFHS, 2012).

Why Change is
needed?

A little over a decade ago, I took players to linemen camps where they
were exposed to very knowledgeable Hall of Fame coaches. We went to UNI with
Don Erusha, to English Valley with Ed Thomas and finally to Iowa Central with
Duane Twait. The blocking techniques they taught were a little different but they
agreed on the goal of controlling the hips of the defender on run blocking. The
best way to control the hips of the defender is to be at or just below the hips
and below the waist. If I'm allowed to make contact above the thigh pad I can
execute this block, but am I at the waist?

The reason for the elimination of blocking-below-the-waist has been
ties to reducing of injuries, primarily knee. The above scenario has no one
attacking the knee or putting unnecessary pressure on the knee. Thus not all
blocks below the waist do not increase the chances of knee injuries.

Have we seen an increase in knee injuries to linemen? I do not have
statistics on this but I'm sure some will be shared at the NFHS Football Rules
Meeting. If so, how has the game changed that might lead to that increase? With
the wide open passing attacks of the 21st century, are we seeing
more cut blocks? In 2014, West Central threw more passes than we normally do in
half a decade. I also had more linemen attempting and executing cut blocks. In
the past few years, I've seen more defensive players cutting offensive linemen.
This was especially true last fall in the 2A championship game. It might be
causing more injuries?

Enforcement

Problems with the enforcement of blocking-below-the waist are not new
for the Football Rule Makers and Supervisors. In the 2012 NFHS Rule Book this
was point 4 on Points of Emphasis. In
2013 it again appear as point 3 on the Points of Emphasis. The IHSAA included
blocking-below-the-waist in a memo in September 2013, sent to all officials and
school. It also was a Point of Emphasis in the 2014-15 officials manual. It's
no wonder that IFCA has asked that the rules be enforced consistently.

When talking to coaches about the blocking-below-the-waist, they are
often talking about incidents out of the free blocking zone. Blocks on the edge
or down field and if all low blocks are eliminated it would be an easier call
for officials. Officials and Coaches can find sources that explain the rules
and how an official crew can successfully make sure blocks-below-the-waist are legal
(Snyder, 2011) (Goodall, 2002).

Closure

The IFCA is advocating for no change at this time. I'm encouraging
coaches to examine, how eliminating all blocks below the waist will impact your
program and the possible elimination of all cut blocks on both sides of the
ball. Coaches need to be vocal and complete surveys before rule changes occur.
Coaches are encouraged to send HUDL videos to Todd Tharp and please identify
plays where you've seen uncalled infractions especially with
blocking-below-the-waist.

Sources:

Goodall, D. and Gersey, T. Free Blocking Zone. Retrieved Dec. 27,
2014 from Officials Quarterly, Summer 2002. http://www.wdfoa.org/training/materials

Gardner,R (Publisher). 2012 NFHS
Football Rules Book,
NFHS Publications 2012.

Snyder,E. and Levitsky, G. Cut
Blocking,
Retrieved Dec. 27, 2014 from NFHS www.nfhs.arbitersports.com

I know of several HS coaches that want this rule changed. I don't mind it in college or the NFL. When you are under scholarship or getting paid to play you know the risks involved and have to decide whether you are willing to take the risk for higher rewards. Its not necessary though that HS players should have to risk injury early in their youth because of this.

It is not just weaker players/teams doing this. The top two teams in our district were cutting the backside almost exclusively. It gives them an advantage and I don't blame them for doing it if it is within the rules. Technically, when teams are in a gun/pistol formation once the ball is snapped it is out of the three yard box and no cutting should take place but it does and it is never called.

I think that this would be a great rule change. Seen too many cut blocks to blitzing LB's and missed chop blocks in the middle. If "many" officials are having problems recognizing what constitutes a legal block then we need to look at a change to protect the kids. This will also force kids to learn how to block and help them in the long run IMO.

I would be more in favor of making illegal cut/chop blocks a point of emphasis for officials and stiffening the penalty (15-yd personal foul, similar to helmet-to-helmet) before eliminating cut blocks all together. I have been around football for a long time and I can't remember a serious injury as a result of a cut block. I'm not saying it never happens, I just don't think it very common. And even so, we can't go about changing rules to prevent every injury in the game. Might as well get rid of tackling below the waist because that can shred a knee too....

Just make it an emphasis for officials for the next couple years and make the penalty harsher and see if some of these illegal blocks are cleaned up.

I spoke to an official about this yesterday. He said it is very tough to see. You have to see the whole block to throw the flag. Was the defender on the line or wasn't he?

He also said the regional head of officials was not for the change and they were voting to not change the rule.

I don't think the rule change would affect the essential techniques about playing the game. It would still be about staying low, position, footwork etc. The enjoyments of the game from the stands would not change at all. So anything that can improve the safety of the game without drastically changing the game, I am all for.

Off the top of my head, I have been around 3 players who have been lost for the season or significant time due to knee injuries from legal and illegal cut blocks. All 3 were All District/ All State type players. The state does not have any evidence it is a problem because they have never asked for information. There is no data being collected on these injuries. It would be very easy to send reports to the state over these injuries.

I am for the rule change, but I will not lose any sleep if it doesn't change.

It is absolutely not illegal to cut block out of the pistol/gun formations. If you fire out and immediately initiate contact, it is 100% legal to block below the waist (in front).

Originally posted by justhanginaround:
It is absolutely not illegal to cut block out of the pistol/gun formations. If you fire out and immediately initiate contact, it is 100% legal to block below the waist (in front).
Unless you're snapping it only 3 yards, or your linemen are lightning fast, a cut block on a 4 yard pistol snap will be illegal...

Contact has to be made before the ball leaves the free blocking zone. I've been around football a long time and have not seen many, if any, linemen that can beat the snap to get across the LOS in time.

This is directly from the IHSAA, so there is one exception to the free blocking zone from the shotgun formation...

"Due to the prevalence of the shotgun formation, more and more quarterbacks are positioned outside
the free-blocking zone. In this formation the ball can leave the free-blocking zone very quickly. In
order for any player to legally block below the waist when the offense is in this formation, the block
must be initiated immediately following the snap and without hesitation. If the offensive player sets
or pauses for any period of time, the opportunity to legally block below the waist has been
eliminated."

The key is the player must go directly from their stance to initiating the cut block. It is suppose to be illegal from the shotgun formation for any offensive lineman to raise up at the snap and then initiate the cut block.

This post was edited on 1/19 7:04 AM by nwmsbearcat

Our school is constantly undersized (sometimes by a lot) and still does a very great job in more traditional blocking schemes.This rule change would have zero effect on them because they don't need to use cut blocking.

It may, however, make it easier for our defenses to breach opposing backfields.
smokin.r191677.gif

I think the one thing everyone is forgetting...this rule will apply to the defense also. So, they will no longer be able to bear crawl or 'submarine' at the goal line. I would bet jelly donut EVERY coach teaches that.

First of all, I highly doubt this rule passes at this time. At some point, maybe. However, most teams that run inside and/or outside zone out of shotgun or pistol will cut on the back side. It is not hard to do and entirely legal. Pass setting first followed by a cut block is very much illegal. In fact, it's usually deemed illegal from under center as well.

Terrible rule. I don't think I've seen a bad (ie leave the game ) injury from a cut block in 17 years as a line coach.

This rule will kill little guys. What is my 140 lb guard or dt going to do against a kid like Juan Harris? Rarely do I have 3 kids over 200 lbs on the o line or dline.

I know the team I follow has lost some lineman due to the cut block. I think two of them being All-Staters their senior season.

If you take away the cut block by the oline for the reasons they are saying then you must take it away from the Dline also because I know allot of teams that have their d lineman cut the knees on the snap so the lbers can flow and make the tackle. You cant take away one without the other. Let the officials make the call no need to change the rule.

The free blocking zone currently covers both offensive and defensive players. Currently a defensive lineman can take an OL out below the waist, but they are not suppose to be able to take a lead blocker out below the waist. If the rule would to change, it would change for both offensive and defensive players.

RK: It is my understanding that a DT can submarine a offensive lineman right away as ball is snapped. However, a defensive end cannot cut a pulling guard or fullback coming at him.

Printit, the defensive lineman can not cut a FB because the FB is not lined up on the LOS at the snap. In pistol/ shotgun the DL would have to cut at the snap and under center the ball has to be in the zone. So under center a defensive lineman can cut a pulling guard coming at him if ball is still in zone, but against pistol they should not be able to because it was not at the snap. That call is missed all the time and is one of those things some coaches will teach them to do until the official calls it
wink.r191677.gif
From behind the puller, it usually is more of a tackle and can be flagged for defensive holding.

Defensive holding is another call often missed. Defenders can use their hands all they want to shed a block. The shock and shuck technique is the most common. The defender pretty much punches the shoulder pads with both hands like a bull rush, as the blocker tries to regain position, the defender grabs his jersey/shoulder pads and shucks him to one side. This is legal. What is not legal is when the defender holds the blocker from blocking someone else. For example, grabbing a pulling guard from behind.

This post was edited on 1/28 6:40 AM by rkhemp

Seems like a lot left to the discretion of the officials and the calls can change week to week depending what officials are looking for. I still think it would be safer for the athletes and easier for the officials to look at revising and limiting what is a legal cut block. Teach kids better footwork, hand position, and pad level.

I don't have any idea about how many high schools are doing it now. But the cut block at the line of scrimage is becoming the thing to do in college ball. Missouri Southern in the MIAA uses it on every play. At the snap the tackles guards and centers shoot out at the knees and ankles of the player across from them. They love to run the option game. And feel that it causes enough delay in reaction of the defender to give them an advantage on the option. Might be why we are seeing a discussion about changing that rule.

The way i interpret the rule, a DE can chop a pulling OL / FB as long as they are in between the tackles?

bgm...that is partially true...yes, a pulling OL could cut a DE as long as the ball is still in the free blocking zone and if both of those players started on the LOS and inside the free blocking zone. If the ball has been pitched deep, then the ball probably has left the zone and then any cut block would be illegal.

A FB should never be able to cut anyone because they never start ON the line of scrimmage. In order to be a player eligible to cut or be cut, either offensively or defensively, the player MUST be lined up ON the line of scrimmage at the snap.

For example according to the rule, if a LB were to begin a blitz at the snap from off the LOS (3-4 yds off LOS), an OL should not be able to cut them because the LB was not ON the LOS at the time of the snap. (If the LB was standing up ON the LOS within the zone at the snap, then they would be eligible to be cut by on OL and the LB could cut an OL.)

Thus the same is true for FB's in most cases. Because the FB doesn't start ON the LOS, then they shouldn't EVER be able to cut anyone because the FB was not on the LOS at the snap.

Hope this helps and I believe this is what most official overlook, or forget. Because BOTH players MUST be ON the LOS at the time of the snap in order to be eligible to be cut, that basically means only OL can cut offensively (sometimes the TE). So if an official sees an eligible # offensively cut a defensive player, that should really be pretty easy to identify.

Per email IAHSAA and NFHS there will be NO rule change inregards to the free blocking zone.

All other rule changes will be released the second week of Feb

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT