ADVERTISEMENT

FB Classifications

Apr 20, 2020
When the heck are they going to be released? Then how about Districts?? We'll be lucky to get full schedules by April at this rate.

The state has acknowledged that we probably won't have schedules until April. I have a few friend who officiate, and assigners have told them that JV games may not come out until late May or June.

I am pretty sure I read somewhere classifications released march 1st? I could be wrong. Probably will be April now before we know districts

I believe all schools had to have any sharing or dissolution of of sharing of football declared to the state by last week. So the IAHSAA should have everything they need to put out classifications and districts anytime. Then they'll probably ask each district to make their wish-list of 5-7 non-district opponents they'd prefer to play. Then the state will make schedules.

I know Tharp said don't expect schedules until after boys state basketball, but I'd think they'd release classifications and districts anytime.

I believe all schools had to have any sharing or dissolution of of sharing of football declared to the state by last week. So the IAHSAA should have everything they need to put out classifications and districts anytime. Then they'll probably ask each district to make their wish-list of 5-7 non-district opponents they'd prefer to play. Then the state will make schedules.

I know Tharp said don't expect schedules until after boys state basketball, but I'd think they'd release classifications and districts anytime.
That's what I was thinking. If they have enrollment numbers and sharing agreement stuff then there's no reason we shouldn't hear classifications soon. Then once you know classifications then it shouldn't take long to announce districts.

Full scheduling I understand takes longer, but it's frustrating that we all have to wait extra long. Especially when there really weren't that drastic of changes after all their deliberating over the past year.

Reactions: IGo42
I get it, COVID has screwed up IHSAA FB scheduling (like just about everything else in this world) but after all the time, thought and deliberation put into the original 2019 schedules, only to be completely thrown out the window in one year is a sight to behold.

March 1st is usually the classification for football. It may take longer due to schools asking questioning and concern they have. Now schedules is a different. No it's different now with 5A You got to think 36 4A teams will move up to 5A and then you have to find 36 3A teams to replace the 36 4A teams that went up to 5A then the same for the other class maybe not for class A or eight man. It will be interesting to see what they do. They do have another union to help who all did this year's before iowa girl high school association. That's the

Heard through the grape vine that the IHSAA is confirming enrollments with districts right now and once all are confirmed they'll tell each team their classification?? Hopefully this is true and we'll know classifications soon.

I'd also think we would be hearing playoff qualifying info sooner rather than later. That's pretty important for teams choosing non-district opponents.

Reactions: 3buzzmable
I am not sure if the multiplier of private schools and SOS stuff has been resolved yet. I believe that may be playing a factor in all of this too.

If I were betting, in those classes with 36 schools, there will be 6 districts with 6 teams. If 16 make the playoffs 1&2 are automatic and remaining 4 based on RPI...just my hunch...because it’s simple.

Reactions: 3buzzmable
If I were betting, in those classes with 36 schools, there will be 6 districts with 6 teams. If 16 make the playoffs 1&2 are automatic and remaining 4 based on RPI...just my hunch...because it’s simple.
That's what I think too. Makes sense.
Then in the 48 team classes you have 8 districts of 6 and since there are 32 qualifiers you just have the top 4 in each district qualify. No RPI in those classes except maybe for seeding in the playoffs.

Will the RPI be based off district games only, or the overall schedule?

With five district and four non district games-the non district results play a big part in deciding qualifiers based on RPI.

If they are going to use RPI again, the state should be transparent about who schools requested, and who the state actually assigns. No need for it to be a secret.

That's what I think too. Makes sense.
Then in the 48 team classes you have 8 districts of 6 and since there are 32 qualifiers you just have the top 4 in each district qualify. No RPI in those classes except maybe for seeding in the playoffs.

If 5A - 4A - 3A use RPI and the other classes don't 8 man - A - 1A -2A, will you see many 2A vs 3A in non district games?

Well, I’m not sure why using RPI/not using RPI would make a difference for between-class matchups. If classes 2A and below are going purely with district finish, top four in the playoffs, their two (or whatever) non-district games have no effect on their playoff situation, so why not play who you want. For classes 3A and above, if they are using RPI for *some* playoff qualifying (the 4 at-larges, or seeding), playing a good team from a smaller class still helps you (especially if you can beat them).

The only thing that would hurt cross-class games, I think, is that old point system where you got penalized by playing a team from a smaller class, and I don’t think that’s coming back.

With five district and four non district games-the non district results play a big part in deciding qualifiers based on RPI.

This, of course, is true - and I think it will be interesting to see if the IHSAA goes with top two from each district and four at-larges, or if only district champions are automatic qualifiers and the other 10 are by RPI.

Also, I suppose they could still go with some setup other than districts for 5A and go pure RPI for all 16 playoff teams, similar to the original pre-COVID 2020 plan.

More than any year in recent history, the enrollment numbers may change, due to Covid related transfers, to both public and private schools, more homeschooling, and students both leaving the state, and moving in.
Might be harder to extrapolate from the previous BEDS to what we’ll see this coming year.

More than any year in recent history, the enrollment numbers may change, due to Covid related transfers, to both public and private schools, more homeschooling, and students both leaving the state, and moving in.
Might be harder to extrapolate from the previous BEDS to what we’ll see this coming year.
And other stuff. Like new jobs.

The BEDS numbers are out, just not in the nice neat form the IAHSAA gives them to us. Most districts didn't change a whole lot.

Heard through the grape vine that the IHSAA is confirming enrollments with districts right now and once all are confirmed they'll tell each team their classification?? Hopefully this is true and we'll know classifications soon.

I'd also think we would be hearing playoff qualifying info sooner rather than later. That's pretty important for teams choosing non-district opponents.

Does this mean BEDs could be updated from the reported number in the fall?

Forgetting the BEDS numbers for the moment, what will be the potential effect of the open enrollment changes (at least for the public schools, don’t see anything but a potential negative for private)? If I understand it correctly, in those urban districts where a diversity plan is in place, currently when students apply for open enrollment into another district, their home district has to agree to “release” them, this will no longer be the case. I could see a potential flight into neighboring districts, thoughts?

Forgetting the BEDS numbers for the moment, what will be the potential effect of the open enrollment changes (at least for the public schools, don’t see anything but a potential negative for private)? If I understand it correctly, in those urban districts where a diversity plan is in place, currently when students apply for open enrollment into another district, their home district has to agree to “release” them, this will no longer be the case. I could see a potential flight into neighboring districts, thoughts?

The term you are looking for here is called "White flight".

The term you are looking for here is called "White flight".
Perhaps so, I could certainly see this possibility. The local “rag” paper in the QCA has already begun the hand wringing concerning this, as opposed to asking the question what can the city districts do to make parents want to stay in their local school...what a novel concept.

Was there large movement in enrollments?
I haven’t seen this year’s actual numbers but have heard anecdotal evidence of some decrease, especially at Catholic schools nationwide. The real area of interest will be in urban and suburban districts to see if parents take advantage of an unhindered open enrollment policy and if parents are offered an education voucher, will they use it to send kids to private schools. You could see some significant enrollment increases at Dowling, Xavier, Assumption, Regina etc.

I'm curious what you will see for schools opting up if it makes them more competitive or if travel would be less. Every team that opts up would push another down. Will be interetsing to see when it all is finalized.

I'm curious what you will see for schools opting up if it makes them more competitive or if travel would be less. Every team that opts up would push another down. Will be interetsing to see when it all is finalized.

There has been no hints from the State that schools can "opt up" classifications will be solely on tue BEDS numbers. It's highly unlikely to see any major changes in those numbers

I believe schools always have the right to opt up to a higher class, although it rarely happens.

I believe schools always have the right to opt up to a higher class, although it rarely happens.

This is the correct answer. Schools may always choose to play up, they just need to inform the IHSAA by December 1. While some schools actually played “up” in the past in order to play a conference schedule in the MAC and MVC (Wahlert, Xavier, Assumption), as far as I know no school has ever volunteered to play up in the district format.

This is directly from the IHSAA football regular season manual: “Any school interested in playing up a classification needs to notify the Iowa High School Athletic Association by December 1st of the year prior to the redistricting format.”

In the near term, open enrollment would have a bigger impact than the vouchers. The initial voucher program is small and only works for a few kids at (generally) very poor schools. Given the option of open enrolling, lots of kids will do so and this might well kill the Waterloo, DesMoines, Souix City, and Quad City athletics. If passed, longer term, the vouchers might really alter the game as an expanded private school network will add more self selection to some perennial powers. Plenty of families at Iowa City High would like a different school, but Solon is too far and Regina is down the road.

Does anyone know what the voucher programs in WI have done to high school athletics?

This is the correct answer. Schools may always choose to play up, they just need to inform the IHSAA by December 1. While some schools actually played “up” in the past in order to play a conference schedule in the MAC and MVC (Wahlert, Xavier, Assumption), as far as I know no school has ever volunteered to play up in the district format.

This is directly from the IHSAA football regular season manual: “Any school interested in playing up a classification needs to notify the Iowa High School Athletic Association by December 1st of the year prior to the redistricting format.”

Interesting! I find it highly unlikely that any school would want to play up. In my 7 years of coaching I've never seen it happen. Hopefully they official BEDS numbers get released soon. Everyone knows what their number will be its just where that aligns with everyone else.

In the near term, open enrollment would have a bigger impact than the vouchers. The initial voucher program is small and only works for a few kids at (generally) very poor schools. Given the option of open enrolling, lots of kids will do so and this might well kill the Waterloo, DesMoines, Souix City, and Quad City athletics. If passed, longer term, the vouchers might really alter the game as an expanded private school network will add more self selection to some perennial powers. Plenty of families at Iowa City High would like a different school, but Solon is too far and Regina is down the road.

Does anyone know what the voucher programs in WI have done to high school athletics?
Well as it pertains to FB, the four districts cited above have already become inconsequential. In sports requiring fewer athletes (e.g., basketball) they can field competitive teams but no doubt that will become more difficult. The voucher effect will be fascinating to watch.

The superintendent of Cal-Wheat announced on Twitter they are playing 8-man football. Were they with Dewitt?

Yes they were, I bet that Central DeWitt saw that they would be in 3A instead of 4A and cut ties with Cal-Wheat. Before they were in 3A no matter what.

A friend of mind does remember one school before they were ready did apply to move up that's when they went from the heart of iowa conference to the raccoon river conference. It was past 7 years ago and it was Bondurant farrar. That's was a long time ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT