ADVERTISEMENT

Expanded playoffs again??

Coaches always wanted to keep the playoffs at 32. I think that most see it was a little more practice, and yes for every blowout there was in the first round there were many 3s beating 2s and in the past two years you have had 3 wildcard teams make the semifinals, which may not seem like a big percentage, but I think it opened up the talk for bringing back the expanded playoffs.

The only thing that I would change about this would be to do 9 districts of 6 teams, then take the top 3 teams and have 5 wild cards in a 32 team playoff. If you went with 16 you would take the district champ and then have 7 wildcards. Although I am not sure that I like that with only 16 teams. I just think there are too many teams in the corners of the state that are forced to travel a long ways which could be helped by making the districts smaller.

The other thing that I would like to see come back is letting teams play out of state teams. Maybe it is just one, but I think there are many schools that would like to do that again. Decorah always had a good game with Prairie du Chien and maybe Dowling or Valley would like to play a team from KC or the Twin Cities.

Why are people so opposed to expanded playoffs? What is wrong with giving kids opportunities to play in the playoffs? Basically by keeping it at 16 teams, it ensures that only the traditional powerhouse teams get to play (along with most private schools). Maybe an occasional non powerhouse will sneak in.

Speaking only on behalf of the district my local team plays in, the 4th place team simply hasn't been very good and didn't deserve to make the playoffs. All it did was set up a first-round game against a district champ that usually involved driving almost 2 hours only to face a running clock in the second half. I could be convinced that 24 teams is OK, but 32 (out of 54) is too many in my opinion. At that point you should just make the regular season 8 games and let everybody in the playoffs. Maybe then at least you wouldn't have to travel so far for the first round blowouts.

Reactions: FLBP
Sometimes I wonder if doing what Minnesota does would be better. They have an 8 game regular season games against regional opponents kind of like conferences but you might have 2A and 3A teams in the same regional conference. They for the playoffs they have 8 district that are seeded, most of the times the #1 gets a bye then there is 3 rounds of districts to determine the district champions. Then the state makes up the bracket based on seeding and geography of the 8 teams left.

Why are people so opposed to expanded playoffs? What is wrong with giving kids opportunities to play in the playoffs? Basically by keeping it at 16 teams, it ensures that only the traditional powerhouse teams get to play (along with most private schools). Maybe an occasional non powerhouse will sneak in.

At least for me, it's not the extra round of playoffs that bother me. It's the ridiculous Friday-Wednesday-Monday-Friday schedule the state used in order to have that extra round. If you can set up a schedule that has five rounds of playoffs, but gives you a week or 6 days between games, I'm all for that.

Unfortunately, if you're going to continue to use the UNI Dome for the championship round, you have to have those happen the week before Thanksgiving (UNI won't share the Dome Thanksgiving week and after, due to NCAA playoff possibilities and whatnot). So your choices are to cut the regular season to 8 games (I am not a fan of that) or start the season in Week 0 (that's not the worst thing in the world, but it's weird to have football games before classes start).

Reactions: Pinehawk
I know it would weird but I know a few states do title games on the Tuesday and Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

So you could go Thursday, Wednesday, Tuesday for the first 3 rounds then Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday for the semis and Tuesday Wednesday for the finals.

Agree that the schedule was the bigger problem than the number of teams. You need to have a week between games.

Just so you all know the coaches assoc put forth a playoff sched that would keep it at 6 days between games but it just wont be a fri to fri thing and still be done by Thanksgiving. Thirty two teams gives more teams the opportunity for post season play and a more meaningful full season, for instance if you are in a tough district and the top few teams play each other in the first 3 weeks you could be out of the playoffs by week 4 and be playing for nothing the last 5 weeks. They keep talking about participation numbers dropping in football, well give more teams the opportunity to make the post season and I can tell you first hand that draws numbers and community support. 32 teams is not a lot and I do agree and so do the coaches assoc that top 4 from each district is to many but yet top 2 and the rest at large assures you get the top teams from the state record wise. Those complaining about travel, we travel more now to some of our conference games in other sports. Your talking about 1 or 2 games a year in football playoffs you might travel but nobody says anything about wrestling as most teams travel across the state in tournaments evey weekend for different competition. Right now it looks like 42 in 4A and 54 in 1A thru 3A, and 64 in A with 8 man in the 70s. The 24 team format was never really considered by either the coaches assoc or the state as many coaches didnt want a first rd bye. All this will be decided in the next few weeks.

Reactions: RSFB
Just so you all know the coaches assoc put forth a playoff sched that would keep it at 6 days between games but it just wont be a fri to fri thing and still be done by Thanksgiving. Thirty two teams gives more teams the opportunity for post season play and a more meaningful full season, for instance if you are in a tough district and the top few teams play each other in the first 3 weeks you could be out of the playoffs by week 4 and be playing for nothing the last 5 weeks. They keep talking about participation numbers dropping in football, well give more teams the opportunity to make the post season and I can tell you first hand that draws numbers and community support. 32 teams is not a lot and I do agree and so do the coaches assoc that top 4 from each district is to many but yet top 2 and the rest at large assures you get the top teams from the state record wise. Those complaining about travel, we travel more now to some of our conference games in other sports. Your talking about 1 or 2 games a year in football playoffs you might travel but nobody says anything about wrestling as most teams travel across the state in tournaments evey weekend for different competition. Right now it looks like 42 in 4A and 54 in 1A thru 3A, and 64 in A with 8 man in the 70s. The 24 team format was never really considered by either the coaches assoc or the state as many coaches didnt want a first rd bye. All this will be decided in the next few weeks.

This is just turning into a participation trophy format. Congrats for being 4-5 and finishing in 4th place you are in the playoffs. Maybe we can all hold hands and sail off into the sunset together singing Kumbaya too. There is no reason to extend the teams in the playoffs. A 3 or 4 seed will never win a state title. Shortening rest between games if even by a day is harmful for kids. Society has gone soft with the idea of that everyone is entitled to something they didn't deserve.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Should we only take 16 teams for the post season in every sport ? Its not about participation trophy and who said they were taking 4 teams out of each district, the proposal was 2 from each district and the rest at large, some weaker district might just get the 2 teams while other much tougher districts might get 4 or more. You had a WC win the state title this yr so don't say anybody other than the top 2 seeds wont win a state title. Shortening the playoff week by 1 day is not harmful to the kids as the proposal did not allow full contact for 2 of those days as most teams in the playoffs don't anyway as its more scout team and preparation for your opponent.

This is just turning into a participation trophy format. Congrats for being 4-5 and finishing in 4th place you are in the playoffs. Maybe we can all hold hands and sail off into the sunset together singing Kumbaya too. There is no reason to extend the teams in the playoffs. A 3 or 4 seed will never win a state title. Shortening rest between games if even by a day is harmful for kids. Society has gone soft with the idea of that everyone is entitled to something they didn't deserve.
Kids want to play!! 6 days off is plenty. I am getting tired of all this saftey BS. Kids knows about risk in football before they play, at least mine did anyway!

Of course kids want to play. But, older and wiser adults need to make decisions in their best interests.

I don't care much either way as long as the proper rest is there (6-7) days. But, expanded playoffs will just bring back a bunch of lopsided playoff blowouts.
Seems more about getting a banner for the schools that don't have many.

It brings meaningful football thru out the whole regular season as most teams still have a chance in weeks 8 and 9 to qualify where as if we stay at 16 you could be out by your 3rd district game with nothing to play for. This isn't about putting a banner on the wall as that is the least of it. Most schools depend on that gate revenue as football is usually the driving sport and if your team is in a playoff run whether they are 9-0 or 5-4 the community and fans come to watch. People keep complaining about 32 being to many, compared to what? Football is the only sport in iowa that you have to win your district to automatically qualify for the postseason, go tell that 17-4 basketball team your not playing in the postseason because you got 3rd in your conference or that 34- 3 wrestler that your not going to sectionals because you got upset in the conference and got 2nd or that 4 x 1 sprint team that has led the state all yr in time, your not going to districts because you guys got DQd at conference last week. I hate it when people say they are meaningless blow out games in the first round, were they saying that in any of their district blowouts or maybe we shouldn't even have districts also because even some of those games are meaningless. Again they never said top 4 of every district onlt top 1 or 2 and the rest at large.

It brings meaningful football thru out the whole regular season as most teams still have a chance in weeks 8 and 9 to qualify where as if we stay at 16 you could be out by your 3rd district game with nothing to play for. This isn't about putting a banner on the wall as that is the least of it. Most schools depend on that gate revenue as football is usually the driving sport and if your team is in a playoff run whether they are 9-0 or 5-4 the community and fans come to watch. People keep complaining about 32 being to many, compared to what? Football is the only sport in iowa that you have to win your district to automatically qualify for the postseason, go tell that 17-4 basketball team your not playing in the postseason because you got 3rd in your conference or that 34- 3 wrestler that your not going to sectionals because you got upset in the conference and got 2nd or that 4 x 1 sprint team that has led the state all yr in time, your not going to districts because you guys got DQd at conference last week. I hate it when people say they are meaningless blow out games in the first round, were they saying that in any of their district blowouts or maybe we shouldn't even have districts also because even some of those games are meaningless. Again they never said top 4 of every district onlt top 1 or 2 and the rest at large.

This is the correct response. Its about giving kids an opportunity to experience something special. It's about making seasons meaningful.

Reactions: dtk913
Friday-Wednesday-Monday. Can't be the first rounds. 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5 shouldn't make the playoffs. Figure it out from there.

Reactions: FLBP
Well, it's all about money. I figure they would go back I would of done the top 3 get in they do that in Canada for high school hockey and school next year will need the money put two things together

It is completely unfair to compare football to any of those sports. The formats are wayyy different. Why risk a stud of a 9-0 team getting hurt because he had to play an extra game because 4-5 (insert towns name) felt they deserved an extra game for the community. Yes, everyone would love to get to as many games as possible and play for as long as you can but why reward mediocrity. Football is by far a more physical and violent game compared to any of the above named sports, besides maybe wrestling. It's falling back into the world of a pointless game and the idea of everyone deserves something they didn't earn. Also the fact that you compared a district blowout to a playoff blowout is mind boggling. Yes, the top team in the district blew out the 4th seed in the district by 49 points, but we should reward that 4th seed to go play another district #1? Playoffs matter and our good games because the best teams make it. When teams who don't deserve to make it go, that is when the games become meaningless. The gates will shrink, and more injuries will occur because the players will not be trying as hard.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
You keep referring to the 4th place team doesn't deserve to be in, WHO SAID THE 4TH PLACE TEAM IS IN ? Yes it is fair to compare it to other sports, why should football be different, basically the same kids that play football, run track, play basketball or wrestle or play baseball, why should they be penalized for one sport but not the others. Also to be clear the coaches voted overwhelmingly for this, not 16 or 24 as again the coaches did not want 24 because nobody wanted a first rd bye. Dont use the excuse about somebody getting hurt about a meaningless game because kids could get hurt in any game of any sport. If your going to use that as an excuse then im sure your team doesn't play its studs in the non district games because they are meaningless as far as record and playoffs. So if the state has its way and all classes play 4 non district games as that's is their plan your team will not play its studs because those are meaningless games to qualify for the playoffs.

The 16 team format is just fine, gives coaches/players a week to prepare (and sometimes heal) between games, 3 playoff games before final is optimal and pretty much guarantees the top team in the state (in their class) will make the playoffs (unlike the college FBS playoff format). The biggest challenge is the district format and the two-year rotation/shuffling of the schools. Often wondered how the schools are selected for districts (other than geographic proximity) and parity (which can sometimes change drastically from one year to the next).

The 16 team format is just fine, gives coaches/players a week to prepare (and sometimes heal) between games, 3 playoff games before final is optimal and pretty much guarantees the top team in the state (in their class) will make the playoffs (unlike the college FBS playoff format). The biggest challenge is the district format and the two-year rotation/shuffling of the schools. Often wondered how the schools are selected for districts (other than geographic proximity) and parity (which can sometimes change drastically from one year to the next).

I think the only way to get coaches to stay or vote for 16 team playoffs is adding another class. But we will have to see what the iahsaa does. They want it because it's basically more money and give the school more attractive to people move in state from out of state.

You keep referring to the 4th place team doesn't deserve to be in, WHO SAID THE 4TH PLACE TEAM IS IN ? Yes it is fair to compare it to other sports, why should football be different, basically the same kids that play football, run track, play basketball or wrestle or play baseball, why should they be penalized for one sport but not the others. Also to be clear the coaches voted overwhelmingly for this, not 16 or 24 as again the coaches did not want 24 because nobody wanted a first rd bye. Dont use the excuse about somebody getting hurt about a meaningless game because kids could get hurt in any game of any sport. If your going to use that as an excuse then im sure your team doesn't play its studs in the non district games because they are meaningless as far as record and playoffs. So if the state has its way and all classes play 4 non district games as that's is their plan your team will not play its studs because those are meaningless games to qualify for the playoffs.

Penalized? Why should they be rewarded for a mediocre season, just so the playoffs can be expanded to everyone gets to feel as if they participated. It's different in track, and baseball, and basketball. That is totally unfair to compare the sports to football and if you do, it clearly shows your lack of understanding on the subject. Coaches would vote for this due to the fact that the majority don't make the playoffs, and any extended chance they could get to make them and the school look good they would obviously be for. Yes, Kids could get hurt in any game, any sport, but football being more physical leads to a higher percentage anyway. Let alone the fact the game is, yes, MEANINGLESS! To compare a non-district game to a playoff game is also a stretch. Yes, it doesn't matter and the extending of non-district games is a weird decision. But those also prepare you for the district, and eventually playoffs. I can tell you might not be used to playoff success, or witnessing an injury in a game where the kids had to have quick turn around. Yes, it is hard even on a 16, 17 and 18 year old body. If they want the make the playoffs fair. You keep it as is. Or, reward a team for playing up a class. Or playing a ranked non-conference. Make a SOS system rating. Maybe use BCMOORE. The options are endless, but the state is blinded by greed of the gate, and a lack of understanding of the sport.

I don't see any reason to expand the playoffs, but I do like fewer district and more non-district games IF they match up good team vs good teams and struggling teams vs struggling team in ND play and care less about distance, save the close teams for district play. That will sort out what 2nd and 3rd place district finisher should make the playoff. ND games won't be meaningless.

Only 1st place is guaranteed to make the playoff and they would be in a much better place to be able to seat the playoffs.

Reactions: falconfanx3
Also if they go back to week night games, distance is going to have to be factored back in more so than with Friday night games.

My son's done playing, I won't be going to an away game on a week night and I doubt I'm alone.

Reactions: falconfanx3
Well, if not mistaken for the 18/19 seasons (at least in 4A) there will be 7 six team districts, with top two in each district and 2 additional "wildcard" teams (selection could prove interesting) making the playoffs. Unless there is a district with three...or more strong teams in it (which is possible but improbable) this format allows schools to play 4 ND games (which they can schedule traditional rivalries from old conference play, assuming they're not in district) and to schedule several "new" foes which they can use to either be challenge or a patsy.

54 team classes will have 9 districts of 6, so they can't take 1st and 2nd out of every district and stay at a 16 team playoff. 1st place and 7 wildcards.

8-player with 62-64 teams, I'd keep the district at no more than 7 teams and increase to 10 districts. 1st place and then 6 wild cards.

Teams that want a wildcard better challenge themselves in ND games to increase the odds of getting one. Every team you beat in ND is a team you put yourself ahead of in the wild card hunt.

Last edited:
54 team classes will have 9 districts of 6, so they can't take 1st and 2nd out of every district and stay at a 16 team playoff. 1st place and 7 wildcards.

8-player with 62-64 teams, I'd keep the district at no more than 7 teams and increase to 10 districts. 1st place and then 6 wild cards.

Teams that want a wildcard better challenge themselves in ND games to increase the odds of getting one. Every team you beat in ND is a team you put yourself ahead of in the wild card hunt.

This is not how this system works. Speaking from a 2A stand point, schools do not set their own Non-District schedules in football. Each school will send a list of schools to the IHSAA that they would like to play. Then the IHSAA tries to match schools that are on each others list, but there are no guarantees. I know for a fact that sometimes teams get matched up that weren't on each others lists.

Also, most schools in A, 1A, 2A and some 3A don't play schools in the same class. They will play up or down and none of those games are considered when it comes to Wildcard selections. Nobody wants to play a Non-District game against a team you could see again down the road.

The 9 districts of 6 with only 16 teams in the playoffs will make it possible for a team that is 8-1 to miss the playoffs, if they take 9 first place teams and 7 wildcards. 1st place ties in a district will ensure that all those teams get in which will open the door for a 2nd place team that goes 4-0 in Non-District and 4-1 in District to get nudged out by teams that ended in 3 way ties. Since Districts are set by geography there is no way to know if you have the top 2-3 teams in a class in the same District in a given year.

I think 6 team districts are better than 9 team districts for travel purposes during the season, but they are a nightmare if only 16 teams get in the playoffs.

If they go to 32 teams again, top 3 of each district would be 27 teams, then 5 wildcards. 32 of 54 just seems like too many IMO.

“These changes in classifications will allow schools to continue to evaluate their respective football programs and try and define what needs best fit their program,” Tharp said. “For some programs, the aspect of potentially playing more non-district opponents may lead to creating a more balanced schedule for them, potentially increasing student participation as schools, while others may attempt to challenge themselves with more competitive non-district games.”

Exert from the press release form "Changes Announced for 2018" thread, implies that the coaches are going to have more input.

With 4 ND games 1 or 2 out of class won't hurt, but if I was coaching in a district with a team that is always hard to beat and think I have a good team, I'd be going after contenders for a wildcard spots in ND to have a better chance to get into the playoffs.

If I don't have a playoff contention team and I'm going to try to schedule similar teams to mine to aim for competitive games.

Also if they go back to week night games, distance is going to have to be factored back in more so than with Friday night games.

My son's done playing, I won't be going to an away game on a week night and I doubt I'm alone.
That never stopped them before! Back in 2012 season Our team had to drive allmost 3 hrs on wed. nite so your reasoning doesnt work! School had a 2 hr late start if i recall!

More ND games, means more schools will look to schedule easy wins. They'll push for 'undefeated' seasons or to go 8-1 a against a weak schedule.

If they go to 32 teams again, top 3 of each district would be 27 teams, then 5 wildcards. 32 of 54 just seems like too many IMO.

“These changes in classifications will allow schools to continue to evaluate their respective football programs and try and define what needs best fit their program,” Tharp said. “For some programs, the aspect of potentially playing more non-district opponents may lead to creating a more balanced schedule for them, potentially increasing student participation as schools, while others may attempt to challenge themselves with more competitive non-district games.”

Exert from the press release form "Changes Announced for 2018" thread, implies that the coaches are going to have more input.

With 4 ND games 1 or 2 out of class won't hurt, but if I was coaching in a district with a team that is always hard to beat and think I have a good team, I'd be going after contenders for a wildcard spots in ND to have a better chance to get into the playoffs.

If I don't have a playoff contention team and I'm going to try to schedule similar teams to mine to aim for competitive games.

The Non-District opponent process for next year has already started and coaches/ADs have no more power than they ever have. This year you have to turn in a list of 7 schools you would be up for playing with one of those listed as your "#1". Those lists get turned into the IHSAA and that's it. The IHSAA will decide who you play and when. If your team and another team have each other as a #1 then you will probably get that game, but after that the coaches have no say.

Reactions: roosterk
Be nice if they'd at least wait till you know who's in your district or class.

So since the coaches don't have as much input as it sound's like the statement, I'm curious to see if they will match them up per their statement for competitive balance.

My schools 8-player so I'm most familiar with that, I do agree that more competitive games may help the participation numbers in some of the struggling teams. There are still going to be district blow outs, but if ND can be more balance I think it may help.

This is not how this system works. Speaking from a 2A stand point, schools do not set their own Non-District schedules in football. Each school will send a list of schools to the IHSAA that they would like to play. Then the IHSAA tries to match schools that are on each others list, but there are no guarantees. I know for a fact that sometimes teams get matched up that weren't on each others lists.

Also, most schools in A, 1A, 2A and some 3A don't play schools in the same class. They will play up or down and none of those games are considered when it comes to Wildcard selections. Nobody wants to play a Non-District game against a team you could see again down the road.

The 9 districts of 6 with only 16 teams in the playoffs will make it possible for a team that is 8-1 to miss the playoffs, if they take 9 first place teams and 7 wildcards. 1st place ties in a district will ensure that all those teams get in which will open the door for a 2nd place team that goes 4-0 in Non-District and 4-1 in District to get nudged out by teams that ended in 3 way ties. Since Districts are set by geography there is no way to know if you have the top 2-3 teams in a class in the same District in a given year.

I think 6 team districts are better than 9 team districts for travel purposes during the season, but they are a nightmare if only 16 teams get in the playoffs.

This is exactly right, people keep moaning about teams that will make the playoffs with 32 teams that shouldn't but forget about the teams that go 8-1 or 7-2 and dont make it like this last yr. Having been on one of these committees I can tell you first hand right now not one coach in Iowa knows what is going to happen. The coaches made a proposal of 32 teams and the state wants 16 teams as both were presented to the playoff advisory committee. Right now the ball is in the hands of the board of directors to determine what proposal they use or if they can somehow combine them to make everyone happy. I can say this first hand, the state had this whole thing already planned until the coaches assoc and the ADs association got together and presented together so now the states plan might be put on hold. Also like some have said your non district games will have no bearing on playoff implications so yes you could have a team that plays up a class and loses say 3 non district games and one distdrit game and goes 5-4 overall but 4-1 in the district, why shouldnt they be in or penalized for playing up a class. I know most class A and 1A teams play up just because you have teams right next door you can play so why wouldnt you.

Reactions: Hwkfn1
This is exactly right, people keep moaning about teams that will make the playoffs with 32 teams that shouldn't but forget about the teams that go 8-1 or 7-2 and dont make it like this last yr. Having been on one of these committees I can tell you first hand right now not one coach in Iowa knows what is going to happen. The coaches made a proposal of 32 teams and the state wants 16 teams as both were presented to the playoff advisory committee. Right now the ball is in the hands of the board of directors to determine what proposal they use or if they can somehow combine them to make everyone happy. I can say this first hand, the state had this whole thing already planned until the coaches assoc and the ADs association got together and presented together so now the states plan might be put on hold. Also like some have said your non district games will have no bearing on playoff implications so yes you could have a team that plays up a class and loses say 3 non district games and one distdrit game and goes 5-4 overall but 4-1 in the district, why shouldnt they be in or penalized for playing up a class. I know most class A and 1A teams play up just because you have teams right next door you can play so why wouldnt you.

If getting every team that should be in the playoffs in means that maybe there are a few teams with less than stellar records getting in then so be it. No Playoff game in HS Football is meaningless! This is a sport that 90% plus of the athletes will NEVER play again after high school in any form. Giving them a chance to play one more game should not be taken away because there might be a lopsided score or it makes for a 6 day turn-around instead of 7. Another thing 32 team playoffs gives the PLAYERS is a chance for more meaningful games during District play. To have a team that may be decent, but still not the best in their district know that after week 2 of the District schedule that they have no chance to make the playoffs is ridiculous. The only people that we should be thinking about when these decisions are made are the PLAYERS.

Maybe we should just make it 64 teams make the playoffs. Then everyone can be happy.

More ND games, means more schools will look to schedule easy wins. They'll push for 'undefeated' seasons or to go 8-1 a against a weak schedule.

Not always the case, being a 1A school we have always played up a class in our two non district games, not to sched easier opponents but because we have a number of 2A schools right next door that we can play. Now they are not 2a power houses by any means but when they are less than 20 miles from you that is a huge gate for both teams. Its always not about strength of sched but trying to match up with maybe some conf rivals that you know will bring fans no matter what the records are. Remember football is usually the driving revenue force for school to purchase equipment for all other sports.

Reactions: dtk913
If getting every team that should be in the playoffs in means that maybe there are a few teams with less than stellar records getting in then so be it. No Playoff game in HS Football is meaningless! This is a sport that 90% plus of the athletes will NEVER play again after high school in any form. Giving them a chance to play one more game should not be taken away because there might be a lopsided score or it makes for a 6 day turn-around instead of 7. Another thing 32 team playoffs gives the PLAYERS is a chance for more meaningful games during District play. To have a team that may be decent, but still not the best in their district know that after week 2 of the District schedule that they have no chance to make the playoffs is ridiculous. The only people that we should be thinking about when these decisions are made are the PLAYERS.

I am with you here let us remember we are here for the athletes.

Reactions: Hwkfn1 and dtk913
Here is what I would do

I would go back to 32 teams in the playoffs

9 districts of 6 teams in 3A, 2A, 1A
7 districts of 6 teams in 4A
6 or 7 team district in A and 8 man

District Champions get an automatic bid and a home game in the first round.

The remainder of the field is determined by some sort of points or computer system where all games including non-district are included. So that teams who play a tough schedule aren't penalized for doing so. I look at some of the districts the last couple of years and there were some that had 5 teams that were deserving of a bid in the 32 team system and some only had 1 or 2. So a system that includes playing up or down classes for non district games and what the record of the opponent is. BC Moore would be a good start, but there some things that BC Moore doesn't always get right.

For the playoffs I would announce the top 8 teams and make a bracket where 2 of those teams are in each quadrant of the bracket and try to make it where there was a 1-4 matched up with a 5-8 although some times that would be difficult with geography. Then fill out the rest of the bracket based upon both geography and ranking.

If you used the BC Moore Rankings the top 32 would be like this for 3A

1. Solon

2. DCG

3. WSR

4. SBL

5. Pella

6. Assumption

7. Harlan

8. Carlisle

9. Glenwood

10.Xavier

11.West Delaware

12.Heelan

13.Decorah

14.Storm Lake

15.Webster City

16.Norwalk

17.Spirit Lake

18.Wahlert

19.Marion

20.Winterset

21.Ballard

22.Spencer

23.Boone

24.Osky

25.Washington

26.Carroll

27.Atlantic

28.Mount Pleasant

29.Benton

30.Bondurant Farrar

31.Denison

32.Algona

I would tweak a few of these because for example Knoxville and Nevada both finished ahead of Bondurant Farrar so that is why I would only release the top 8 so you could make a few changes as you see fit. May you have a committee that selects the teams like the CFP and something like BC Moore is only part of it.

So then your bracket could be something like

Solon vs. Mt Pleasant
Decorah vs. Marion

Assumption vs. Washington
Xavier vs. Wahlert

WSR vs. Algona
West Delaware vs. Benton

Pella vs. Osky
Norwalk vs. Boone

DCG vs. Ballard
Storm Lake vs. Spencer

Carlisle vs. Winterset
Webster City vs. Bondurant Farrar

SBL vs. Denison
Heelan vs. Spirit Lake

Harlan vs. Atlantic
Glenwood vs. Carroll

Again this is just hypothetical, along with that I would look at maybe moving the state finals to the Tuesday and Wednesday before Thanksgiving, and basically having 6 days between each round.

Reactions: screwloose
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT