ADVERTISEMENT

Easiest/Hardest path to the dome?

icu81222

All Conference
Dec 4, 2008
Just glancing at the districts and making discussion.

It looks like 5 & 6 might be the weakest as I'm not sold on D5 having a dominant team. Medapolis just isn't doing it for me. Albia's close win with Davis County keeps them out of "elite" class to me.

D1 & D2 would be the deepest of them all with Spirit Lake being an elite team and then they have Sioux Center and BHRV, not to mention Garner GHV. 4 good teams. They are just ahead of D7/D8 in regards to depth

District 3 looks very solid but D4 doesn't seem to have an elite type team this year so they would be #3

I would say D7/D8 has the toughest path in regard to the top 2 teams opposite of each other in Kuemper and W Marshall. They also have N Polk and Gilbert in there.

so I have it as follows

1. D7/D8
2. D1/D2
3. D3/D4
4. D5/D6

Honestly what did you expect from Mepo? Not many were even mentioning them coming into the year. It was all about Mid-Prairie. Mepo returned 3 starters each way I believe. They lost a ton of talent in last years 20+ seniors. I think they're doing alright. Can't really compare this year's team to the past 2-3, and it wouldn't be fair to. They lost 85% passing yards, 77% rushing yards, 74% receiving yards, 87% return yards, and 64% of tackles. Of course they lost Ertz, 3 of top 4 receivers, top 2 rushers, and 8 of 11 top tacklers. But still 4-0 and ranked in top 10 with a very good and young coaching staff.

Take Albia's win with a grain of salt. They had 2 TD's wiped out by very late and questionable penalties. DC's secondary was holding the receivers all night long and getting away with it. I know, I sound like a homer, but it was some of the worst officiating I have seen since the Iowa Outback bowl against Florida.

Originally posted by wedomn8:

Take Albia's win with a grain of salt. They had 2 TD's wiped out by very late and questionable penalties. DC's secondary was holding the receivers all night long and getting away with it. I know, I sound like a homer, but it was some of the worst officiating I have seen since the Iowa Outback bowl against Florida.
You DO sound like a homer.....
3dgrin.r191677.gif

However, it doesn't matter. If Albia is to be an elite team, they don't let a team ranked 50 in BCM hang with them and win by 1 even if they have a couple TD's called back and if the other team is getting the benefit from the officials.

Look back at the best teams the past few years, you see very few bad wins. Now, if Davis County runs the table from here on out, then we can look back at this later and realize what happened. I can't help but think that Albia has to have a glaring weakness.

Originally posted by icu81222:
Just glancing at the districts and making discussion.

It looks like 5 & 6 might be the weakest as I'm not sold on D5 having a dominant team. Medapolis just isn't doing it for me. Albia's close win with Davis County keeps them out of "elite" class to me.

D1 & D2 would be the deepest of them all with Spirit Lake being an elite team and then they have Sioux Center and BHRV, not to mention Garner GHV. 4 good teams. They are just ahead of D7/D8 in regards to depth

District 3 looks very solid but D4 doesn't seem to have an elite type team this year so they would be #3

I would say D7/D8 has the toughest path in regard to the top 2 teams opposite of each other in Kuemper and W Marshall. They also have N Polk and Gilbert in there.

so I have it as follows

1. D7/D8
2. D1/D2
3. D3/D4
4. D5/D6
I would put D1/D2 just because they are deep

1) D1/D2 Deep with 4 teams that could come out
2) D7/D8 Kuemper or WM, Both been ranked top 5 most of the year
3) D3/D4 Waukon or New Hampton
4) D5/D6 Mediapolis or Albia both have been just getting by a some teams not as Dominate

Mepo has dominated everyone except Mid-Prairie, the #2 team in the district. Albia has dominated everyone, but Davis County (rivalry?) and Bondurant-Farrar (#2 in district). Sure, the districts aren't deep, but don't underestimate them.

Ironically enough after the first round of games and only 4 schools remaining in each district head to head to determine who goes to the dome, it's D5/D6 schools which have the fewest losses between remaining teams with 4. Every other district combo path to the dome have schools remaining with 5 or more losses. Not saying that makes D5/D6 the hardest, just the most successful group of teams left alive to date. The districts most thought to have the easiest dome path is looking pretty though now with two 10-0 teams and two 8-2 teams. Going to be an interesting few weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT