ADVERTISEMENT

Dowling rumors

Nov 22, 2016
A little birdie told me today that Dowling has taken in transfers from Indiana, Illinois, and Minnesota? I might have the states wrong, but I was told there is now regional talent flocking to Buffalo Road....

Is this true? If so, this is going to get scary for Class 4A and the CIML.

I won't even say they're calling these kids or sending letters. They've now transcended their prestige and culture to such a level that top talent outside of the state now wants to be a part of what they're doing.

Scary, scary, scary.

4* RB from Minnesota with a little help from an ISU coach was the rumor a few weeks ago...

If Power 5 programs are going to start doing Dowling's recruiting for them, I don't see how the rest of 4A stands a chance.

Here are the USA Today Midwest High School football rankings from October of 2016:

MIDWEST
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, West Virginia and Wisconsin

1. Colerain, Cincinnati (8-0)
2. Cass Tech, Detroit (8-0)
3. Trinity, Louisville (9-0)
4. Warren Central, Indianapolis (8-1)
5. Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Ill. (8-0)
6. North, Omaha, Neb. (8-0)
7. East St. Louis, Ill. (8-0)
8. Wayne, Huber Heights, Ohio (7-0)
9. Kimberly, Wis. (9-0)
10. Valley, West Des Moines, Iowa (7-0)

At the time of these rankings, Valley had recently beat Dowling. Since there is a top rated team in Indianapolis and the Chicago burbs, I suspect any transfer to Dowling is a kid with family moving to Des Moines. The Des Moines public schools are not competitive, so if you are moving to the west side, that leaves Waukee (589 per class) Valley (700 per class) Johnston (525 per class) and Dowling (360 per class). Why is anyone surprised a transfer who could play football would pick Dowling? If he was a wrestler, they would go to SE Polk.

Who knows what is true.. I certainly don't. IF that is true that regional talent is moving into the state specifically to play football at Dowling, is that something that their community could honestly take pride in upon winning? It is one thing to have a highly successful Catholic high school who provides a route for Catholic kids in Des Moines to go to for their education and extra curricular activities. Its another thing, altogether, to become some sort of regional academy type school. I can honestly say, if I was a fan/ alum of Dowling and certainly if I was a parent who actually paid for my son/ daughter to go to school there, I would be less than impressed if that's the direction things went.

Interesting that this only comes up re: Dowling Football. Patrick Neal "open enrolls" to Valley from Winterset to get a better opportunity to play in college ( his dad even played for Dowling ) and nothing said. Lombardi's move to town and choose Valley for oldest son, while dad "shops" younger son to Waukee / Dowling to avoid sitting behind brother, again nothing. Gilbert parents set up empty apt. addresses in Ankeny to play ball there, nothing. Wrestlers from all over state want to go to SE Polk due to program, no complaints, If your a girls high school basketball player several years ago, you "transferred to" or "open enrolled" at East.

I can just hear it now....

Dad: "son, my job is transferring to me to Des Moines, I know you love football and are just entering high school, but it will be ok"
Son: "dad, we can't move now!"
Dad: " son, it's ok, I've enrolled you at Dowling...". " However, your brother the basketball player is screwed..."

There is much that could be added to this discussion but it would serve no functional purpose.
I will say that this gets the most attention surrounding football because football garners the most attention period.

So true Brad51! Just take a look at the other boards and you will see that football rules the conversations throughout the year.

After an injury plagued junior year at Sartell-St. Stephen High School in Minnesota, running back John Schmidt was ready for a change. The 5-foot-9, 201-pound Schmidt wanted to make a fresh start somewhere else and looked over a couple different options with his family.

What they decided on was West Des Moines Dowling, a program that has won the last four state titles in Iowa’s Class 4A under head coach Tom Wilson. That is where Schmidt is now enrolled and will be playing his senior year this fall as he hopes to help Dowling make it a five-peat.

“After my football season, I just kind of struggled with some injuries,” said Schmidt. “My mom had known Coach Wilson from a friend and some other coaches had suggested Dowling, so we thought it would be the best fit.”

So far, so good, as Schmidt says that he is fitting in well with Dowling’s talented senior class that includes Division I prospects John Waggoner and Zach Ross, among others.

“It’s been awesome,” Schmidt said. “I really like how hard and competitive it is down here. It’s nice because a lot of the guys here have the same goals as me, so it’s really competitive in the weight room and in workouts and everything.”

An ankle injury forced Schmidt to miss all but three games his junior year, limiting him to 66 carries for 256 yards on the season, but his goal to play college football remains the same.

“My goal has always been the Big Ten, but I’d like to play FBS or FCS anywhere really,” said Schmidt. “The goal is just to play Division I football.”

Last fall, Schmidt made game day visits to Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, and North Dakota State during the season, and is in the process of reconnecting with those schools and others after making the move to Iowa.

“It’s pretty slow right now due to my injury, but I know my coach has talked to South Dakota State and will be talking to Iowa State next week,” Schmidt said. “Also, I just had a Gopher junior day last week and I’ve heard from North Dakota State lately too.”

Right now, Schmidt’s main focus is on maintaining his health and getting into the best shape of his life for his senior year, so the recruiting stuff will hopefully take care of itself once his film gets out there.

“We’ve been doing a lot of weightlifting and I’ve gained 16 pounds, so I’m up to 201,” said Schmidt. “Now we’re kind of transitioning to the speed part. I’m doing track right now, trying to get my forty down and get ready for The Opening and Rivals Camp coming up.”

Meanwhile, Schmidt looks forward to playing a role in Dowling’s quest to add a fifth state title in a row this upcoming season.

“I don’t really have any personal goals for myself this season because they are about the team and our goal together is to win five in a row,” Schmidt said

doesn't Dowling already have Matt Moore and Jayson Murray? Both looked pretty decent getting carries (albeit only after Dowling was up by 5+ TDs). Maybe one of them could be moved to another position, kind of like how they moved Wilson to Safety after Boyle recovered from his injury.

I wonder if the state will start looking at this and just tell schools that if you are doing this, you will not be allowed to compete in the state playoffs.

This is much like Valor Catholic High in Denver.

I wonder if the state will start looking at this and just tell schools that if you are doing this, you will not be allowed to compete in the state playoffs.

If the state needed to address any one thing, they'd have to address Valley first. On the 16-17 beds document Valley's 9-11 enrollment is 2170, 400 kids larger than the second largest school (Waukee) in the state, & 1539 kids larger than the smallest 4A school (Newton). Valley has more kids in a grade than Newton has in the entire building!
Dowling is reaping the rewards of undeniable success (in the form of great players want to play on great teams), but Valley still has the most inherent advantage in 4A.

This is an issue? Come on, parents should be able to send their children wherever they want when it comes to schooling. If it's for football, so be it. That's their choice and their dollars/cents, why on earth anyone feels they should have the right to tell someone where they can attend school is laughable.

Stop with the nonsense of staying "loyal". That's getting old really quick.

Reactions: Adidasfootball
If the state needed to address any one thing, they'd have to address Valley first. On the 16-17 beds document Valley's 9-11 enrollment is 2170, 400 kids larger than the second largest school (Waukee) in the state, & 1539 kids larger than the smallest 4A school (Newton). Valley has more kids in a grade than Newton has in the entire building!
Dowling is reaping the rewards of undeniable success (in the form of great players want to play on great teams), but Valley still has the most inherent advantage in 4A.

Yeah that advantage really seems to be paying off for East and Lincoln..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, no. No family move. The kid is living with a former player's parent in Beaverdale. So take your "What family that moved to Central Iowa wouldn't want to play for Dowling" and hit the road. I feel sorry for kids like Matt Moore who probably spent their entire upbringing in the Dowling school system only to get his senior year and starting spot taken away from him because becoming a regional powerhouse was a higher priority on the agenda.

What a shame.

Yeah, no. No family move. The kid is living with a former player's parent in Beaverdale. So take your "What family that moved to Central Iowa wouldn't want to play for Dowling" and hit the road. I feel sorry for kids like Matt Moore who probably spent their entire upbringing in the Dowling school system only to get his senior year and starting spot taken away from him because becoming a regional powerhouse was a higher priority on the agenda.

What a shame.

Yeah, what a shame for a kid to have to play behind someone who is better. What a travesty. What a shame for a kid to learn that you are entitled to nothing unless you are better than the person you are competing against. What a shame for kids to learn that no matter how long you stay at one school, it means nothing, talent and results matter.

What a shame.

Get off of it. Winning matters. Learning how to win and being around a winning culture can definitely help these kids later in life.

You serious Clark?

So you have no empathy for a kid that goes through his entire career in the parochial system and plays for the feeder program, only to get ousted before his senior year because they wanted some public school kid from Minneapolis? Have some compassion buddy. It's high school football. You can feel for the kid. The wins will come in November.

I suppose a team and fan0base that recruits players from other districts around central Iowa wouldn't know much about loyalty so why am I so surprised?

Empathy? Sure it's sad the kid doesn't get to play, but are you setting the kid up to believe something isn't true outside of the walls of Dowling? A guy works for a company for 25 years and is in line to become the CEO only to be ousted by a guy from the outside. Does it stink? Sure it does. Is it life? Yes it is.

You're right, it is high school football, so why bring it up? If the kid doesn't get to start his life won't end, I mean it is just high school football, right? You were the one who brought this up and when someone had a different opinion than yours, you resort to the argument of "it's just high school football". Apparently, it was a topic of such importance that you brought it up on here. You tried with your jab at Dowling and you just seem emotionally involved. I'm sorry if your kid was beat out by a kid who moved in, I'm sorry if you are one of the 4A schools that can't compete with Dowling, but it's life. You'll be fine. Remember, it's just high school football. :D:D

Valor Christian... private is private.
That said, Valor Christian hasn’t always helped its own cause. They’ve been bold and brazen. They’ve been placed on probation by the CHSAA for recruiting. They’ve run up the score on opponents, probably too many times. They’ve hired coaches with household names – former Denver Broncos and college stars line the sidelines at football games, and a guy named Gwozdecky will be sitting on the bench this year during hockey season. They've competed in 7 consecutive state championships: Back in the day (not that long ago), when Cherry Creek was the school nobody liked, they won with money (or so plenty of people suggested) and enrollment. In fact, Cherry Creek is still the biggest school in the state with a student body that tops 3,500. Valor Christian, a school that could, in theory, play at a smaller football classification, has a relatively small enrollment of 847.

One difference in Colorado, they don't allow public school open enrollment transfers that are primarily for athletics. The kids can transfer, but they cant play sports for a year. Iowa open enrollment laws allow those transfers all the time and they have to sit out of varsity sports for 90 days. The only exception is some large districts like Des Moines which will not allow middle and upper class kids to transfer out (or even let them transfer between Des Moines High Schools).

One difference in Colorado, they don't allow public school open enrollment transfers that are primarily for athletics. The kids can transfer, but they cant play sports for a year. Iowa open enrollment laws allow those transfers all the time and they have to sit out of varsity sports for 90 days. The only exception is some large districts like Des Moines which will not allow middle and upper class kids to transfer out (or even let them transfer between Des Moines High Schools).
How does one deem it is an "athletic transfer vs academic?"

How does one deem it is an "athletic transfer vs academic?"

More than likely speculate on when the transfer takes place. If you live at the same address and you transfer as a junior, it is probably for athletics, as opposed to transferring in as a freshman.

This is one of the most idiotic "rules" I've ever heard of. You are telling tax paying citizens where they can send THEIR children for THEIR education? Seems logical. I would allow open enrollment for ANYONE, the only rule I have is that when you do take advantage of open enrollment, the parent is then responsible for the kid getting to the new school. They can't expect the new school bus system to pick their child up(this is a current rule, but some school districts allow for a waiver to be filled out and then voted on, I wouldn't allow the waiver). They have to make arrangements for their kid to get to and from school. This is a WAY easier issue than everyone is making it out to be.

Reactions: iowalongs230
More than likely speculate on when the transfer takes place. If you live at the same address and you transfer as a junior, it is probably for athletics, as opposed to transferring in as a freshman.

This is one of the most idiotic "rules" I've ever heard of. You are telling tax paying citizens where they can send THEIR children for THEIR education? Seems logical. I would allow open enrollment for ANYONE, the only rule I have is that when you do take advantage of open enrollment, the parent is then responsible for the kid getting to the new school. They can't expect the new school bus system to pick their child up(this is a current rule, but some school districts allow for a waiver to be filled out and then voted on, I wouldn't allow the waiver). They have to make arrangements for their kid to get to and from school. This is a WAY easier issue than everyone is making it out to be.

No they are telling them they can transfer anytime. They cannot play varsity sports for 90 school days unless they move into a district. Since private schools don't have a district the are subject to the 90 day rule on all transfers.(unless an agreement with district schools like Reginia) It seems fair enough. Wisconsin doesn't allow transfers to be eligible after their 10th grade year unless they physically move into the district. It is an Extracurricular and not part of the curriculum. If transferring to a school for varsity sports is that important, then sell your house and move into the district. While were at it all sports should be club sports and have no ties to a school or community that eliminates the need for a transfer rule

No they are telling them they can transfer anytime. They cannot play varsity sports for 90 school days unless they move into a district. Since private schools don't have a district the are subject to the 90 day rule on all transfers.(unless an agreement with district schools like Reginia) It seems fair enough. Wisconsin doesn't allow transfers to be eligible after their 10th grade year unless they physically move into the district. It is an Extracurricular and not part of the curriculum. If transferring to a school for varsity sports is that important, then sell your house and move into the district. While were at it all sports should be club sports and have no ties to a school or community that eliminates the need for a transfer rule

Selling your house and moving seems a bit drastic, especially if you are in a metropolis area. If I live in Altoona (SEP) and want my kid to go play sports at Valley (WDSM) why can't I arrange transportation to and from school for my kid? Seems like a huge overreach to sell my house that is literally 20-25 minutes away from the school as opposed to setting up transportation.

What I've learned is, people who are generally against the transfer rule are grouped in two sets of people,

1). Their kid goes to the school that gets transfers and their playing time is now in jeopardy. Their kid grows up in that school district and plays for said team for many years only to have a kid come in and take their time away, the parents are now mad. or
2). Their kid goes to a school that doesn't get a lot of transfers and has to compete against a school who does get a lot of transfers. They find out quick they can't compete and thus get angry.

My only gripe is we are realistically telling people where their kid has to go to school when they are the ones paying for it, just unreal.

When it comes to open enrollment:
Transferring From / To:
DSM North to DSM East = No problem

DSM North to Urbandale = Sorry, since you wont be paying taxes in URB we won't educate you on our dime.

DSM North to Dowling Catholic = No problem! Do you play a sport? Even better! Just fill out this FAFSA and we'll come up with a payment plan.

They can still go to school there anytime they want to they just can't play varsity sports for 90 days. You have to have some regulation. If you didn't then you could play football for Dowling, transfer to wrestle at SEP, Run track at Ankeny in the same calendar year. Transferring is fine just plan for the sitting out or else go to Club format for sports

When it comes to open enrollment:
Transferring From / To:
DSM North to DSM East = No problem

DSM North to Urbandale = Sorry, since you wont be paying taxes in URB we won't educate you on our dime.

DSM North to Dowling Catholic = No problem! Do you play a sport? Even better! Just fill out this FAFSA and we'll come up with a payment plan.

But.....they are paying taxes in Urbandale when their kid doesn't attend school there....so.....LOL. Also, should the people who own a home in Urbandale who don't have kids complain that their tax dollars are going to educate kids they don't know? Come up with a better one than that.

They can still go to school there anytime they want to they just can't play varsity sports for 90 days. You have to have some regulation. If you didn't then you could play football for Dowling, transfer to wrestle at SEP, Run track at Ankeny in the same calendar year. Transferring is fine just plan for the sitting out or else go to Club format for sports

Stop going to the extreme. No one is transferring their child 3x in one calendar year, even if there is no regulation.

Again....that's their choice. I just can't get over how much control people want over something that is so insignificant.

Last edited:
That would cause complete chaos. A coaches nightmare. I guess I just don't see how that could be good for schools.

But.....they are paying taxes in Urbandale when their kid doesn't attend school there....so.....LOL.

People and businesses pay property taxes for numerous services/facilities that they never use (Parks, road maintenance/construction, police, fire, public works and even schools). I was happy to have my street plowed, but I never called the police or fire department last year. My kids didn't benefit from that elementary school remodel either. You won't see me complaining. Why would anyone?

Also, should the people who own a home in Urbandale who don't have kids complain that their tax dollars are going to educate kids they don't know? Come up with a better one than that.

No... I don't know everyone in the school district I live in. Do you?
I'm willing to bet that those people you're referring to are still there because they and/or their kids went through the school system they live in. They support the local businesses and school activities just like the people that do have kids. I think you need to come up with a better one actually.

The reality is that Urbandale, Johnston, Valley, Waukee, SEP, Ankeny, etc. will not allow a student to go to their school for academic or athletic purposes unless they live there and pay taxes. Johnston just built an 80 million dollar high school opening in August. The taxpayers are footing over half of the bill. Even though they are going to pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars more a year in property taxes it still passed. The positive economic impact on property values alone will more than make up the difference in the long run. Can you imagine the consequences the Johnston School Board would face if they just said, "Hey everybody! We just made a bigger, state-of-the-art high school. If you feel like attending just sign up and we'll find a spot for you. We're not crowded anymore, so come on in". I want my money to benefit the families that live in my community. When that happens people will stay and live there.

If you want a good example of what open enrollment can do to a school system just look at Van Meter.

Last edited:
I have been reading the different post, a lot of good points have been made.

I can tell you up here in Sioux City we frown on "Open Enrollment" for the purpose of improving ones athletic team. I can't think of a single case where either Heelan or SC East allowed an Open Enrollment student to join a team purely for the sake of making the team better. Any student up here transfers 100% for the improved education.

Here are the USA Today Midwest High School football rankings from October of 2016:

MIDWEST
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, West Virginia and Wisconsin

1. Colerain, Cincinnati (8-0)
2. Cass Tech, Detroit (8-0)
3. Trinity, Louisville (9-0)
4. Warren Central, Indianapolis (8-1)
5. Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Ill. (8-0)
6. North, Omaha, Neb. (8-0)
7. East St. Louis, Ill. (8-0)
8. Wayne, Huber Heights, Ohio (7-0)
9. Kimberly, Wis. (9-0)
10. Valley, West Des Moines, Iowa (7-0)

At the time of these rankings, Valley had recently beat Dowling. Since there is a top rated team in Indianapolis and the Chicago burbs, I suspect any transfer to Dowling is a kid with family moving to Des Moines. The Des Moines public schools are not competitive, so if you are moving to the west side, that leaves Waukee (589 per class) Valley (700 per class) Johnston (525 per class) and Dowling (360 per class). Why is anyone surprised a transfer who could play football would pick Dowling? If he was a wrestler, they would go to SE Polk.
Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute.......................

West Virginia is considered part of the Midwest now?

How bout no.......o_O

I have been reading the different post, a lot of good points have been made.

I can tell you up here in Sioux City we frown on "Open Enrollment" for the purpose of improving ones athletic team. I can't think of a single case where either Heelan or SC East allowed an Open Enrollment student to join a team purely for the sake of making the team better. Any student up here transfers 100% for the improved education.

I think many would disagree with that statement Westside. Or, possibly you were making use of sarcasm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT