ADVERTISEMENT

Dowling ranked #14 in the nation

Drewolson, obviously you get really impacted by statements on these threads pertaining to private schools. You need to relax a little and realize these are opinions and not always facts. If we all looked at the state of football in Iowa, the gap between good, not even excellent teams, and poor teams is getting bigger every year. Coaches around the state, as well as school admin, try to find a way to keep these schools fielding a team and staying as competitive as possible. If these schools keep losing by 50 through a majority of their games, eventually their program will be gone. Question is how to balance that and not keep losing numbers. Besides all the concussion issues surrounding football, there are just less athletes period in sports as less kids are willing to put in the time expected by coaches. Who wants to get beat by 50 every other week when they could be hanging out with friends and not go through practice in 90 degree heat in August.

Agree 100%

Drewolson, obviously you get really impacted by statements on these threads pertaining to private schools. You need to relax a little and realize these are opinions and not always facts. If we all looked at the state of football in Iowa, the gap between good, not even excellent teams, and poor teams is getting bigger every year. Coaches around the state, as well as school admin, try to find a way to keep these schools fielding a team and staying as competitive as possible. If these schools keep losing by 50 through a majority of their games, eventually their program will be gone. Question is how to balance that and not keep losing numbers. Besides all the concussion issues surrounding football, there are just less athletes period in sports as less kids are willing to put in the time expected by coaches. Who wants to get beat by 50 every other week when they could be hanging out with friends and not go through practice in 90 degree heat in August.
Ok Catherine, like that you are confident enough to express your opinion on here about certain things, but sorry some opinions don't always make logical sense. Please explain to me how a parochial class is a "valid option" since there is such a big gap from dowling and every other private school in the state, in not just athletics but also enrollment and since you never responded to that in the first place. Just want to know that from you and provide you with adequate facts as I did in my first response to you so you know that a private class is just not realistic or logical in the state of Iowa. And I don't see why you're telling me to relax when I presented my opinion on that with facts and realistic possibilities? Lol. But I respect what you said about the state of Iowa HS football and the gap, I think everyone does

Don't be using facts and logic, their feelings are hurt. The private school multiplier/separate class is their rallying cry except it hasn't delivered the results in other states.
Guess you were right. Facts and logic mean nothing on here. Opinions are the only thing that matter I guess

Lol no it is not. Where are you getting these numbers from? Last year, (2016-17) 9-12 enrollment was 523. I know that the 2021 class is not 170-180 kids to make that 575-600.
And as for the building, and an increase in numbers, where would the kids come from? What's the desire to transfer to Heelan from North, West, East or SB-L right now? Just cause there is a new school won't all of a sudden make people want to pay 8k a year.

Yeah, actually those numbers are correct. I have a student at the school, among other things, so I should know.

You can look it up.

Here's a funny story for those of you who don't believe that Dowling recruits. I used to coach cross country for a metro school. I had a solid runner who ended up finishing in the top 10 their junior and senior seasons. On many occasions, the (still current) Dowling cross country coach offered to be a "personal trainer" for my athlete. Asked me if the athlete wanted to train with his team during the summer "so he had somebody at his level to train at." Talk to any metro cross country coach, they will certainly share similar stories.

Tell me how an athlete from Burlington who is one of the top returning juniors in the state ends up transferring to Dowling this year (not a move-in)? He is currently running JV for them because he is not eligible due to the transfer rule for non-move-ins.

I'm 100% certain that these stories are not isolated to cross country based on the talent level in most of their sports and things that coaches in other sports at our metro school mentioned to me over the years. But yes, please continue to tell me that they don't recruit.

No one credible denies that they recruit. They do. They're supposed to. Just like a college is supposed to recruit.

Cruhawk, agree with you but might even say private schools "have to" recruit. Every student that attends is recruited. In fact for all the private school haters, beware, Dowling is holding their "recruitment" on Nov. 5th. It is their open house to all of Des Moines area 8th graders to learn more about the school.

What is even funnier is the way private schools are portrayed as only "recruiting" football players.

In the vane of "never let the facts get in the way of a good story" there is a lot more to CIML refs story. He is correct the Burlington kid was a great freshman runner. What he left out was the kid also missed his entire sophomore after suffering from rhabdo ( the same issue as Iowa football went through) due to very poor training advice. After spending the summer training with both the Dowling and Iowa City West CC coaches (two of the best in the state.) He choose Dowling to continue his running career.

Also, CIML ref doesn't mention that Dowling coaches offered "his runner" a spot, nor does he mention that the Dowling cc coach has his own personal training company that many DSM area kids ( that don't attend Dowling) train with. Maybe he was trying to promote his own business vs. "recruit him". Either way story is much better the way he told it.

I remember the days of the old CIML and the local teams so frustrated that they couldn't complete (exception being WDM Valley) with Dowling in football they tried to kick them out. Seems there is still similar sentiment around.

Here's a funny story for those of you who don't believe that Dowling recruits. I used to coach cross country for a metro school. I had a solid runner who ended up finishing in the top 10 their junior and senior seasons. On many occasions, the (still current) Dowling cross country coach offered to be a "personal trainer" for my athlete. Asked me if the athlete wanted to train with his team during the summer "so he had somebody at his level to train at." Talk to any metro cross country coach, they will certainly share similar stories.

Tell me how an athlete from Burlington who is one of the top returning juniors in the state ends up transferring to Dowling this year (not a move-in)? He is currently running JV for them because he is not eligible due to the transfer rule for non-move-ins.

I'm 100% certain that these stories are not isolated to cross country based on the talent level in most of their sports and things that coaches in other sports at our metro school mentioned to me over the years. But yes, please continue to tell me that they don't recruit.

I am 100% certain that recruiting happens at public schools as well. Look at the open enrollment numbers to see if it's going on there. SE Polk wrestling anyone?

Reactions: TheVegvisir
Cruhawk, agree with you but might even say private schools "have to" recruit. Every student that attends is recruited. In fact for all the private school haters, beware, Dowling is holding their "recruitment" on Nov. 5th. It is their open house to all of Des Moines area 8th graders to learn more about the school.

What is even funnier is the way private schools are portrayed as only "recruiting" football players.

In the vane of "never let the facts get in the way of a good story" there is a lot more to CIML refs story. He is correct the Burlington kid was a great freshman runner. What he left out was the kid also missed his entire sophomore after suffering from rhabdo ( the same issue as Iowa football went through) due to very poor training advice. After spending the summer training with both the Dowling and Iowa City West CC coaches (two of the best in the state.) He choose Dowling to continue his running career.

Also, CIML ref doesn't mention that Dowling coaches offered "his runner" a spot, nor does he mention that the Dowling cc coach has his own personal training company that many DSM area kids ( that don't attend Dowling) train with. Maybe he was trying to promote his own business vs. "recruit him". Either way story is much better the way he told it.

I remember the days of the old CIML and the local teams so frustrated that they couldn't complete (exception being WDM Valley) with Dowling in football they tried to kick them out. Seems there is still similar sentiment around.

Yes, and Heelan does the exact same thing. In fact, our daughter, who is a junior at Heelan, was among a number of students off on a "recruiting" trip to the K-8 grade schools (included some public schools in the area).

If anyone wants to argue that the big public schools don't recruit, I'll be drinking out of my Jason Scales mug.

How many other private schools does the state of Iowa even have? And that would make it even more lopsided to have Dowling and a bunch of small schools competing against one another.

On the issue of Dowling playing Kansas City metro schools, I can say from being in the Kansas City area for a while, that they'd have trouble competing with Rockhurst and Blue Springs. But they wouldn't have much trouble competing with most Johnson County, Kansas high schools. The Olathe and Shawnee schools are mostly down across the board. High school football on the Missouri side of the metro is better than the Kansas side. Miege never plays any of the "big boys" since they're in Kansas 4A D1 (which is the third class). But that opens a debate much like the Pella one of the past few years.

More importantly, what is it that has made Dowling so dominant in the last 4-5 years?
I totally disagree with Dowling not being able to compete with Rockhurst. I grew up in Des Moines but have been in Arkansas for a few years. I
How many other private schools does the state of Iowa even have? And that would make it even more lopsided to have Dowling and a bunch of small schools competing against one another.

On the issue of Dowling playing Kansas City metro schools, I can say from being in the Kansas City area for a while, that they'd have trouble competing with Rockhurst and Blue Springs. But they wouldn't have much trouble competing with most Johnson County, Kansas high schools. The Olathe and Shawnee schools are mostly down across the board. High school football on the Missouri side of the metro is better than the Kansas side. Miege never plays any of the "big boys" since they're in Kansas 4A D1 (which is the third class). But that opens a debate much like the Pella one of the past few years.

More importantly, what is it that has made Dowling so dominant in the last 4-5 years?

I totally disagree with Dowling having trouble with Rockhurst. I grew up in Iowa and have been in Arkansas for quite a few years. I'm very familiar with the NW Arkansas teams like Bentonville. Bentonville has been playing Rockhurst the last few years and all of them have been pretty close games. I watched Bentonville in the state final two weeks ago and I honestly think Dowling would have beaten them fairly easy this year. As for Rockhurst, they did play Dowling back in the mid 80's. I went to the game. It was at the old Valley Stadium on a Saturday afternoon. Close game. If I recall correctly, Rockhurst barely won. At that time I believe Rockhurst was more of a power than they are now. Contrarily, Dowling has always been good but in the 80's I would not have classified them as a power house like they are now. I watch the Iowa state finals over the internet every year (well, this year on Directv) & I have been very impressed with Dowling. Very well coached. I just really think Dowling would handle Rockhurst these days.

Dowling is not that great. They would eventually be crushed playing week in and week out in the MRAC

Dowling can't compete with the top schools in Florida, Texas or California. It wouldn't be interesting most years. They're the best program in Iowa. Enjoy it!

So something on the table at the state meeting next week is allowing schools to play out of state opponents, if it is passed do we see Dowling play schools from Kansas City, Omaha, Chicago, St. Louis, Minneapolis, etc?

It will be interesting if this gets passed. Probably will also depend a lot on district sizes and non district games counting or not counting toward at large playoff spots. I would think the larger 4a schools in central Iowa would still like their traditional local rivalry games (Dowling, Valley, Waukee, Urbandale, Ankeny's) vs a home and home with Millard West, Creighton Prep, Blue Springs, Lee's Summit, Rockhurst, or Chicago area schools. Although it would be fun to see.

Reactions: festusx
The Bad Guys are are on the cusp of being a Top 10 team in the country. Thoughts?

I would like to see the IAHSAA Boundary rule lifted. I think it would be good to see Dowling start playing some upper-tier competition like Rockhurst or Bishop Miege in Kansas City or Montini Catholic in Chicago. They're just wasting their time right now playing anyone that isn't Valley...
Just saw an article stating teams will be allowed to play out of state teams. Among other changes to the playoff format and what not. I for one like what I read. Here's the link. https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...tem-board-allows-interstate-games/1063138001/

Hey krafty...I see you are back. Your kids done at BV? Or did your daughter just start? You seem to have more time on your hands. And about heelan....they had under 90 freshman at the start of this semester........and I got that from a personal conversation with their administration. Their 7th and 8th grade classes are small as well. They only had 16 freshman out for football this past fall.

What would make some sense would be to become a feeder school. We all know Iowa Western is a stacked JUCO school. Then you have Iowa, Minnesota, Iowa State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, and Kansas State with Des Moines as a centerpiece. You've got North Dakota State, Missouri State, Northern Iowa, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Illinois State, Southern Illinois, Western Illinois all as D1 AA schools from the best conference in that level within reach. It makes sense for Iowa to finally get a feeder school for colleges going.

A former Iowa player in Jim Poggi is coaching at St. Frances in Maryland, which has become a National Powerhouse on the football scene. They have taken in kids from all over the DC and Baltimore areas. The #1 player in the country who committed to Bama played there. They talked him into playing football his freshman year. He was a basketball guy. He was one of 23 homeless kids that were on the team and 3 years later he was the #1 player and DE prospect in the country.

Biff Poggi coached at Gilman High in Maryland for 19 years. He was a School Board member at St. Frances even when coaching at Gilman. He donated $60,000 to St. Frances to get the football program going. He stepped away from Gilman and joined St. Frances a few years ago. St. Frances Catholic has been helping underprivileged youth in the Baltimore area for decades. Now with him running the program he as gotten several D1 athletes from surrounding areas to the team. He has been criticized for it, but they are bringing in kids who are as underprivileged as others and giving them the chance to excel in the abilities they have. 23 homeless kids played for them last year at they were 13-0 #4 in the country. They are considered even better this year.

I'm not saying Dowling could or would do something similar, but they can consider that type of approach in the Midwest. I don't think we have that type of powerhouse Academy or Prep school in the Midwest and it would be considerably harder to be successful at it in Des Moines as compared to St. Louis, Kansas City, Minneapolis, or Chicago.

Reactions: screwloose
Look, this isn't IMG Academy or Bishop Gorman we're talking about. They just happen to have the luxury of being able to recruit in Iowa's largest city and for the last 5 years it's worked out well for them.

Here's my question, who cares what/if Dowling is ranked in USA Today? Unless all of high school football is going to a college football playoff-like system, I don't see why it really even matters. They've certainly been the best 4A (hi, 3A posters) program in the state for half a decade.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT